Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
shiaofhussayn

#1 Imam Ali Ibn Abi Taleb (as)

Rate this topic

Imam 'Ali (A.S.) said:

image022.jpg

Surely, Allah has chosen for us followers (Shiites), who assist us and are happy at our happiness and are sad in our sadness.

Ghuraral‑Hikam vol. 1, pg. 135.

(bismillah)

(salam) to all brothers and sisters

My great Imam Ali (as) said,

"Silence will create respect and dignity; justice and fair play will bring more friends; benevolence and charity will enhance prestige and position; courtesy will draw benevolence; service of mankind will secure leadership and good words will overcome powerful enemies."

Edited by Rizwan Haider

Certainly,Allah tries his creatures in respect of their evil deeds by decreasing fruits,holding back blessings and closing the treasures of good,so that he who wishes to repent may repent,he who wishes to turn away(from evils) may turn away,he who wishes to recall( forgotten good)may recall,and he who wishes to abstain(from evil) may abstain.............

NAHJUL BALAGHA ,SERMON 143 OF IMAM ALI A.S.

ÞÇáó ÃóãöíÑõ ÇáúãõÄúãöäöíäó Úóáöíøõ ÇÈúäõ ÃóÈöí ØÇáöÈò (Úóáóíúåö ÇáÓøóáÇãõ): ãóäú ÞóÑóÃó ãöÇÆóÉó ÂíóÉò ãöäó ÇáúÞõÑÂäö ãöäú Ãóíöø ÇáúÞõÑÂäó ÔÇÁó Ëõãøó ÞÇáó ÓóÈúÚó ãóÑøÇÊò: ((íÇ Ãóááøåõ)) Ýóáóæú ÏóÚÇ ÚóáÜì ÇáúÕóÎúÑóÉö áóÞóáóÚóåÇ ÅöäúÔÇÁó Çááøåõ.

Amirul Mo’minin ‘Ali ibne Abi Talib (peace be upon him) has said: “A person who recites 100 verses from anywhere in the Qur’an and then says: ‘Ya Allah’ seven times, if he wanted to remove a huge boulder (from the ground), he would be able to do so with the permission of Allah.”

Thawabul A’mal, Page 233

(bismillah)

(salam) to all brothers and sisters

My great Imam Ali (as) said,

"In this world, man is a target of death, an easy prey to calamities, here every morsel and every draught is liable to choke one, here one never receives a favour until he loses another instead, here every additional day in one's life is a day reduced from the total span of his existence, when death is the natural outcome of life, how can we expect immortality? "

Edited by Rizwan Haider

According to Nehjul Balagha, " Imam Ali was following a funeral and as it was passing along a road, somebody laughed loudly ( a sign of discourtesy and lack of manner ). Hearing this laugh, Imam Ali remarked, ” Some of us feel that death is meant for everybody except themselves or it is destined to others and not to themselves or those whom we see dying around us are only travelers going on a journey and will come back to us. It is a sad sight to see that in one moment we commit them to earth and in the next we take hold of the things left by them as if we are going to remain permanently in this world after them. The fact is that we forget sensible advice given to us and become victim of every calamity".

I wonder at the man who searches for his lost things but doesn't care to recover his lost self. " IMAM ALI !

I will be patient, till even patience tires of my patience - Imam Ali AS

"your remedy is within you, but you do not sense it. your sickness is from you, but you do not perceive it. you presume you're a small entity, but within you is enfolded the entire universe. You are indeed the evident book, by whose alphabet the hidden becomes manifest. Therefore, you have no need to look beyond yourself. What you seek is within you, if only you reflect."

imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (a.s)

Do not talk about knowledge with the foolish so that they deny you, nor with the ignorant so that they find you oppressive, but talk about it with those of its people whom you meet who will accept it and understand it. Imam Ali a.s

Blessed is the man who always kept the life after death in his view, who remembered the Day of Judgment through all his deeds, who led a contented life and who was happy with the lot that Allah had destined for him.

Saying From Imam Ali (a.s)

"Do not take someone's silence as his pride, perhaps he is busy fighting himself." - Imam Ali (as) (((you rule my heart ya ali)

“The learned man understands the ignorant for he was once ignorant himself. The ignorant man does not understand the learned for he has never been learned himself.” -Imam ALi !

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] said: "If a praying person knew to what extent he was surrounded by His Mercy, he would never raise his head from (the state of) prostration.

Tasnif-I-Ghurar-ul-Hikam, p. 175

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] said: "For the God-fearing, prayer is a means of seeking nearness to Allah and for the weak, the Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca) is as good as Jihad (fighting in the way of Allah). For every thing there is a levy, and the levy of the body is fasting. The Jihad of a woman is to afford pleasant company to her husband."

Nahjul Balagha, saying 136

Edited by Syed Hussain

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] told his son, Imam Hassan [a]: "0' my son! No wealth is more valuable than intelligence and no poverty is similar to ignorance; no terror is worse than arrogance, and no life is more pleasant than being good tempered."

Bihar-ul-Anwar, vol. 78, p. 111

I was having a discussion about how Imam Ali(a.s) got his name "Ali".

I was certain that Imam Ali was called Asadullah by his mother after birth, but Prophet Muhammad(pbup) came afterwards and said god has ordered the name "Ali" for him.

Can anyone help me find authentic sources for how he got his name?

Wasalam

The Prophet (S.A.W.) was away from Makka at the time but on his return, 3 days later, went to the

Ka'ba. The locks fell open. He took the child from Fatima binte Asad and it was then that Imam Ali

(A.S.) opened his eyes for the first time. Imam Ali's (A.S.) mother had called him Hayder and Asad

but the Prophet named him Ali (A.S.) saying it was a name from Allah.

This is the only known occasion when a child was born in the Ka'ba ever since its foundation was

laid.

http://www.qfatima.com/docs/AIMMA.pdf

i could not find any narrations with sources ...

Still nothing? No one has any references or sources?

Sometimes there are no sources, just common stories. And even when there is a source, it's often quite late, and not authentic.

But anyway, insha'Allah, someone will provide you with some type of source. I'm sure this must be written down somewhere.

(bismillah)

Salam

Here is one such narration:

حدثنا الشيخ أبو جعفر محمد بن الحسن بن علي بن الحسن الطوسي رضي الله عنه، قال أخبرنا أبو الحسن محمد بن أحمد بن الحسن بن شاذان، قال حدثني أحمد بن محمد بن أيوب، قال حدثنا عمر بن الحسن القاضي، قال حدثنا عبد الله بن محمد، قال حدثني أبو حبيبة، قال حدثني سفيان بن عيينة، عن الزهري، عن عائشة. قال محمد بن أحمد بن شاذان و حدثني سهل بن أحمد، قال حدثنا أحمد بن عمر الربيعي، قال حدثنا زكريا بن يحيى، قال حدثنا أبو داود، قال حدثنا شعبة، عن قتادة، عن أنس بن مالك، عن العباس بن عبد المطلب. قال ابن شاذان و حدثني إبراهيم بن علي، بإسناده عن أبي عبد الله جعفر بن محمد عليهما السلام عن آبائه

فلما أردت أن أخرج و ولدي على يدي هتف بي هاتف و قال يا فاطمة، سميه عليا، فأنا العلي الأعلى، و إني خلقته من قدرتي، و عز جلالي، و قسط عدلي، و اشتققت اسمه من اسمي، و أدبته بأدبي، و فوضت إليه أمري، و وقفته على غامض علمي

ثم دخل رسول الله )صلى الله عليه و آله(، فلما دخل اهتز له أمير المؤمنين )عليه السلام( و ضحك في وجهه، و قال السلام عليك، يا رسول الله، و رحمة الله و بركاته. قال ثم تنحنح بإذن الله )تعالى(، و قال بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ قَدْ أَفْلَحَ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ الَّذِينَ هُمْ فِي صَلاتِهِمْ خاشِعُونَ إلى آخر الآيات. فقال رسول الله)صلى الله عليه و آله( قد أفلحوا بك، و قرأ تمام الآيات إلى قوله أُولئِكَ هُمُ الْوارِثُونَ الَّذِينَ يَرِثُونَ الْفِرْدَوْسَ هُمْ فِيها خالِدُونَ

[Quoting only a part of a very lengthy narration]

Narrated from Imam Jafar Al-Sadiq (as) from his fathers:

Fatema bint Asad (sa) says,

"When I wanted to come out, a caller called me and said, “O Fatema! Name him Ali because he is Ali (High) and Allah is Ali Al-A’la (the highest). Allah tells you, ‘I derived his name from My name, And I educate him with My manners, and authorized my matters to Him and I taught him My most obscure knowledge."

Then the Holy Prophet (saww) entered and when He entered, Amir Al-Momineen moved and smiled in His face and said, "Peace be upon You O'Prophet of Allah (saww) and Allah's (swt) Mercy and Blessings be upon You.

Then He [imam Ali (as)] made a sound of 'Hem' and said, " In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent the Merciful. The believers indeed are successful. Those who humble themselves in their prayers." [23:1] to the last verses.

Then Holy Prophet (saww) said, "Indeed success is with You". And then recited all the verses upto His Saying, "These will be the heirs, Who will inherit Paradise: they will dwell therein (for ever). [23.9-10]

[source: Al-Amaali - Sheih Toosi, Pg. 706]

http://www.marefatea...dge-of-the-imam

Another one..

كنت جالسا مع العباس بن عبدالمطلب وفريق من عبدالعزى بإزاء بيت الله الحرام إذ أقبلت فاطمة بنت أسد ام أميرالمؤمنين عليه السلام وكانت حاملة به لتسعة أشهر ، وقد أخذها الطلق ، فقالت : رب إني مؤمنة بك وبما جاء من عندك من رسل وكتب ، وإني مصدقة بكلام جدي إبراهيم الخليل ، وإنه بنى البيت العتيق ، فبحق الذي بنى هذا البيت وبحق المولود الذي في بطني لما يسرت علي ولادتي .

قال يزيد بن قعنب : فرأينا البيت وقد انفتح عن ظهره ودخلت فاطمة فيه وغابت عن أبصارنا ، والتزق الحائط ، فرمنا أن ينفتح لنا قفل الباب فلم ينفتح ، فعلمنا أن ذلك أمر من أمر الله عزوجل ، ثم خرجت بعد الرابع وبيدها أميرالمؤمنين عليه السلام ثم قالت : إني فضلت على من تقدمني من النساء لان آسية بنت مزاحم عبدت الله عزوجل سرا في موضع لايحب أن يعبدالله فيه إلا اضطرارا ، إن مريم بنت عمران هزت النخلة اليابسة بيدها حتى أكلت منها رطبا جنيا ، وإني دخلت بيت الله الحرام فأكلت من ثمار الجنة وأرواقها ، فلما أردت أن أخرج هتف بي هاتف ، يا فاطمة سميه عليا فهو علي ، والله العلي الاعلى يقول : إني شققت اسمه من اسمي ، وأدبته بأدبي ، ووقفته على غامض علمي ، وهو الذي يكسر الاصنام في بيتي ، وهو الذي يؤذن فوق ظهر بيتي ، ويقدسني ويمجدني ، فطوبى لمن أحبه وأطاعه ، وويل لمن أبغضه وعصاه

Narrated from Yazid bin Qaa’nab, who said:

I was sitting with Abbas Ibn Abdul Muttallib and a group from Abdul-Ozza by the Kaaba when we saw Fatema bint Asad (sa), mother of the Commander of the Believers (as) came close to the Kaaba. She was nine months pregnant with him and she was in labour.

Fatema bint Asad (sa) said:

O Allah! I believe in You. I believe in what You sent to Your messengers. I believe in Your books. I believe in the message of my grandfather, Ibrahim Al-Khaleel, and the one who build Your house. I ask You through the right of one who build this house and through the right of the baby that I am carrying to make my labour easy.

Then we saw the wall of the Kaaba open from the rear. Fatema bint Asad (sa) entered the Kaaba and she disappeared with the wall closing behind her. We tried to open the door of the Kaaba but failed. We understood that this was a miracle.

After four days she came out of the Kaaba with the Commander of the Believers (as) in her arms and said:

I have higher status than all off the women before me because Asiya bint Mozahem worshipped Allah secretly in a place that was not recommended to worship Allah except when necessary. Maryam bint Imran shook a dry palm tree and ate from its ripe dates, but I entered the Holy house of Allah and I ate from the food of Paradise.

When I wanted to come out, a caller called me and said, “O Fatema! Name him Ali because he is Ali (High) and Allah is Ali Al-A’la (the highest). Allah tells you, ‘I derived his name from My name, I educate him with My manners and I taught him My most obscure knowledge. He is the one that will break the idols in My house, he is the one that will give the Adhan (announcement), sanctifying and glorifying Me on the roof of the Kaaba. Bliss and happiness be on those who love him and follow him and woe unto those hate him and disobey him.”

[source: Basharat ul Mustafa Le Shiyyat e Murtuza Hadees.10 / Mani Al Akhbar Pg.62 / Bihar Al Anwar Vol.35 Pg.8]

http://www.marefatea...atema-bint-asad

Edited by muhibb-ali

Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] said: "Do not become obstinate (and do not strictly follow your own ideas), because such a one will meet destruction."

Tasnif-I-Ghurar-ul-Hikam, p. 443

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen [a] said: "He who considers himself a great one (self-conceited), is naught with Allah.

Tasnif-I-Ghurar-ul-Hikam, p. 308 & Bihar-ul-Anwar, vol. 6, p. 91

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] said: "Two things cause people to be destroyed (and lead unto Hell): fear of poverty, and seeking superiority through pride."

Bihar-ul-Anwar, vol. 72, p. 39

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [a] said: "You should avoid self-admiration, having reliance upon what appears good in yourself, and love of exaggerated praise because this is one of the most reliable opportunities for Satan."

Ghurar-ul-Hikam, p. 298

So Imam Ali (as) knew the Quran before it was even revealed? What is the difference between him and the Prophet (pbuh) then? That the Prophet (pbuh) was just the one responsible for delivering the message?

Sounds fishy....

حدثنا الشيخ أبو جعفر محمد بن الحسن بن علي بن الحسن الطوسي رضي الله عنه، قال أخبرنا أبو الحسن محمد بن أحمد بن الحسن بن شاذان، قال حدثني أحمد بن محمد بن أيوب، قال حدثنا عمر بن الحسن القاضي، قال حدثنا عبد الله بن محمد، قال حدثني أبو حبيبة، قال حدثني سفيان بن عيينة، عن الزهري، عن عائشة. قال محمد بن أحمد بن شاذان و حدثني سهل بن أحمد، قال حدثنا أحمد بن عمر الربيعي، قال حدثنا زكريا بن يحيى، قال حدثنا أبو داود، قال حدثنا شعبة، عن قتادة، عن أنس بن مالك، عن العباس بن عبد المطلب. قال ابن شاذان و حدثني إبراهيم بن علي، بإسناده عن أبي عبد الله جعفر بن محمد عليهما السلام عن آبائه

Narrated from Imam Jafar Al-Sadiq (as) from his fathers:

I notice you didn't mention who else it claims to be narrated by above, namely `Aisha and Anas b. Malik. Seriously, does anyone really believe they'd have narrated something like that about Amir al-Mu'mineen (a)?

Aslamalaykum,

@Repenter

snapback.pngHaydar Husayn, on 31 December 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

So Imam Ali (as) knew the Quran before it was even revealed? What is the difference between him and the Prophet (pbuh) then? That the Prophet (pbuh) was just the one responsible for delivering the message?

Sounds fishy....

It does sound fishy, when we lack knowledge. Like Imam Ali a.s says: Your an enemy of what you do not know

قل آفى بالله شهيدا بينى وبينكم ومن عنده علم الكتاب.

"Say: Allah is sufficient as a witness between me and you and the one who has knowledge of the Book." [13:43]

According to our tafseers, it is Imam Ali a.s who has the knowledge of the book (not partial but as a whole). It is Allah who confirms this in the Quran.

What do we learn from this verse....

1. This was revealed in Mecca and Allah swt is confirming that Imam Ali a.s has the knowledge of the Quran (before the whole revelation)
  2. Over space of 23 years, Quran was propagated by the Holy Prophet s.a.w.w but in Mecca they only spent 10 years
  3. 2 witnesses only, one is Allah swt and the other is Imam Ali a.s
  4. You can be a sufficient witness only, if you can attest that words/actions of the Holy Prophet s.a.w.w are correct and how can be a sufficient witness if the Imam was ignorant of the Quranic knowledge.

Points to ponder for you, we have ahadith/tafseers confirming the above.

Edited by muslimunity1

Aslamalaykum,

@Repenter

It does sound fishy, when we lack knowledge. Like Imam Ali a.s says: Your an enemy of what you do not know

قل آفى بالله شهيدا بينى وبينكم ومن عنده علم الكتاب.

"Say: Allah is sufficient as a witness between me and you and the one who has knowledge of the Book." [13:43]

According to our tafseers, it is Imam Ali a.s who has the knowledge of the book (not partial but as a whole). It is Allah who confirms this in the Quran.

What do we learn from this verse....

1. This was revealed in Mecca and Allah swt is confirming that Imam Ali a.s has the knowledge of the Quran (before the whole revelation)
  2. Over space of 23 years, Quran was propagated by the Holy Prophet s.a.w.w but in Mecca they only spent 10 years
  3. 2 witnesses only, one is Allah swt and the other is Imam Ali a.s
  4. You can be a sufficient witness only, if you can attest that words/actions of the Holy Prophet s.a.w.w are correct and how can be a sufficient witness if the Imam was ignorant of the Quranic knowledge.

Points to ponder for you, we have ahadith/tafseers confirming the above.

Yes it is true that lack of knowledge is our enemy. However these questions that we ask, if purely intended are not a bad thing but a gateway to knowledge.

One thing i remember, though needs to be verified, is that Imams get their knowledge when they become imams, not before. Meaning Imam Ali got his divine knowledge when the prophet died, and Imam Hassan when Imam Ali died and so forth.

That being said, it doesn't mean that Imam Ali didn't know a lot before he became Imam, but to say he spoke a verse of the quran before it was revealed needs to be proven, at least for me.

I notice you didn't mention who else it claims to be narrated by above, namely `Aisha and Anas b. Malik. Seriously, does anyone really believe they'd have narrated something like that about Amir al-Mu'mineen (a)?

Hmmms, what do you mean mac? Please elaborate.

Yes it is true that lack of knowledge is our enemy. However these questions that we ask, if purely intended are not a bad thing but a gateway to knowledge.

One thing i remember, though needs to be verified, is that Imams get their knowledge when they become imams, not before. Meaning Imam Ali got his divine knowledge when the prophet died, and Imam Hassan when Imam Ali died and so forth.

That being said, it doesn't mean that Imam Ali didn't know a lot before he became Imam, but to say he spoke a verse of the quran before it was revealed needs to be proven, at least for me.

Hmmms, what do you mean mac? Please elaborate.

the imams had knowledge when they were born, thats what i believe, because there are hadiths where abu hanifa came to the door and asked for Imam Sadiq but his son answered, Imam Musa, Imam Musa asked him to ask the questions and he will answer them, in which he did, how can a 6-10 yr old have such knowledge.

the imams had knowledge when they were born, thats what i believe, because there are hadiths where abu hanifa came to the door and asked for Imam Sadiq but his son answered, Imam Musa, Imam Musa asked him to ask the questions and he will answer them, in which he did, how can a 6-10 yr old have such knowledge.

That is a very weak story to conclude that Imams had FULL divine knowledge before they became Imams. the fact that Imam Musa was able to answer the question doesn't mean he had the knowledge of an Imam at that age. After all, he was son of the imam of his time so he probably had a lot of knowledge, but not equal to the imam himself. At least that is what logic says, and im pretty sure that there are hadeeth about transfer of knowledge when imams die.