Sign in to follow this  
shiaofhussayn

#1 Imam Ali Ibn Abi Taleb (as)

Rate this topic

Assalamu Alaykum,

I just recently finished volume 1 of Nahjul Balaga. I was in complete awe and amazement of each word I read! When I tried to a read it a couple of years ago, that need to read and want to understand it wasn't there, but Alhamdillah, now that is what provoked me to go through it seriously.

SubhanAllah, after reading one part I'd have to stop and really let the words sink in. I just love it, as sis Ya Imam Mehdi said, it's thought provoking! I feel it is the greatest book beneath the Quraan al-Kareem. I just love discussing it with other ppl, and especially those who have a thorough understanding of it. For me, I honestly feel as if I'd probably need a few years to completely read and understand the true meaning of Nahjul Balagha and what Imam Ali (as) meant with it...

I really can't wait to start up on part II, Inshallah.

Wa alaykum as salaam

Salam,

:cry:

Im still trying to read mine....i know exactly what you mean tho when u said this...

When I tried to a read it a couple of years ago, that need to read and want to understand it wasn't there,

I feel a great pull to it now and i have a better understanding and appreciation for it.....but I just cant grasp some of its meanings and i find that it sets me back cuz i get soo frustrated with myself.... :( . But your post has kept me inspired. Inshallah i wont give up but I just need to give it more effort i suppose. Keep my in your duas. Wasalam.

(bismillah)

Salaamun 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

InshaAllah you are all in the best of health and Imaan.....

I was wondering are there any good commentaries of this book other than that by 'Ansariyan Publications' in English or Arabic? Also, is it available for one to purchase? I live in the United Kingdom.

Jazakumullah Kulu Khair

Your Brother in Islam

(bismillah)

Salaamun 'Aalaikum.....

Yes, thank you but I already have that book and mashaAllah a very good book indeed.

I mean a text with the commentary alongside it, maybe someone may hav one they purchased from Iran etc, published by a different publisher??

Jazakum Allahu Khairan Kathirah

Fi Aman Allah

(bismillah)

Salaamun 'Aalaikum.....

Yes, thank you but I already have that book and mashaAllah a very good book indeed.

I mean a text with the commentary alongside it, maybe someone may hav one they purchased from Iran etc, published by a different publisher??

Jazakum Allahu Khairan Kathirah

Fi Aman Allah

(salam)

There is a 2 volume edition of Nahj Al-balgaha...by ansaryian publications...it has commentary with it.

go to :

http://www.al-islam.org/nahj

for the edition

(bismillah)

Salaamun 'Aalaikum wa Rahamtullah...

Yes 'Akhi', that is the one I possess, jjazakullah anyway. I have it in arabic too, but my Arabic isn't to the standard of Nahjul Balagha (I dont't think many others are too). So if anyone else have any other publishers that do commentary.. even Sunni authors (you'll find alot in Egypt admire this book and have written commentaries) I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your patience..

Mutashakiram

I agree with everyone ( and why would'nt I).. Truely unbelievable book..The more you read the more amazed you are by its magnificence...The standard of arabic is waaaay too high...I wish I knew more arabic so I could appreciate the actual words!!! But I enjoy my urdu translation much more than the english one online :)

Guest KingFahad
Salaam Alaikum,

This is such an amazing book, it contains advice for daily living,

philosophy, science ( a description of early earth ), psychology,

and so much.........I have not words enough! :rolleyes: :)

(salam)

:blink: You bet it is

It contains all the letters of Imam Ali.

All the sermons

Really helpful for the history of islam

:donno:

Here Is Another Sermon Of Mola Ali (as)

SerMon no 88.........

About the attributes of Allah and some guidance

Praise be to Allah who is well-known without being seen, Who creates without pondering over,

Who has ever been existent WHEN

there was no sky with domes,

nor curtains with lofty doors,

nor gloomy night,

nor peaceful ocean,

nor mountains with broad pathways,

nor curved mountain roads,

nor earth of spread floors,

nor self-reliant creatures.

He is the Originator of creation and their Master. He is the God of the creation and its feeder. The sun and the moon are steadily moving in pursuit of His will. They make every fresh thing old and every distant thing near.

He distributed their sustenance and has counted their deeds and acts, the number of their breaths, their concealed looks, and whatever is hidden in their bosoms. He knows their places of stay and places of last resort in the loins and wombs till they reach their end.

His punishment on enemies is harsh despite the extent of His Mercy, and

His compassion on His friends is vast despite His harsh punishment.

He overpowers one who wants to overcome Him, and

He destroys one who clashes with Him.

He disgraces one who opposes Him and

He gains sway over one who bears Him hostility.

He is sufficient for one who relies on Him.

He gives one who asks Him.

He repays one who lends to Him.

He rewards one who thanks Him.

O' creatures of Allah,

weigh yourselves before you are weighed and

assess yourselves before you are assessed.

Breathe before suffocation of the throat.

Be submissive before you are harshly driven.

Know that if one does not help himself in acting as his own adviser and warner then no one else can (effectively) be his adviser or warner.

post-22-1070814996.jpg

Sermon Of Mola Ali as

Book:-Nahjul Balagha

(Peak of Eloquence)

Sermon No.3

The famous sermon of "Shiqshiqayya". A description of the first three Caliphs and Imam Ali's(A.S.) patience over the usurpation of his rights.

Beware! By Allah the son of Abu Qahafa (Abu Bakr) dressed himself with it (the caliphate) and he certainly knew that my position in relation to it was the same as the position of the axis in relation to the hand-mill. The flood water flows down from me and the bird cannot fly upto me. I put a curtain against the caliphate and kept myself detached from it.

Then I began to think whether I should assault or endure calmly the blinding darkness of tribulations wherein the grown up are made feeble and the young grow old and the true believer acts under strain till he meets Allah (on his death).

I found that endurance thereon was wiser. So I adopted patience although there was [Edited Out]ing in the eye and suffocation (of mortification) in the throat. I watched the plundering of my inheritance till the first one went his way but handed over the Caliphate to Ibn al-Khattab after himself.

(Then Hazrat Ali quoted al-A'sha's verse):

My days are now passed on the camel's back (in difficulty) while there were days (of ease) when I enjoyed the company of Jabir's brother Hayyan.

It is strange that during his lifetime he (Abu Bakr) wished to be released from the caliphate but he confirmed it for the other one (Umar) after his death. No doubt these two shared its udders strictly among themselves. This one put the Caliphate in a tough enclosure where the utterance was haughty and the touch was rough. Mistakes were in plenty and so also the excuses therefore. One in contact with it was like the rider of an unruly camel. If he pulled up its rein the very nostril would be slit, but if he let it loose he would be thrown. Consequently, by Allah people got involved in recklessness, wickedness, unsteadiness and deviation.

Nevertheless, I remained patient despite length of period and stiffness of trial, till when he went his way (of death) he put the matter (of Caliphate) in a group and regarded me to be one of them.

But good Heavens! what had I to do with this "consultation"? Where was any doubt about me with regard to the first of them that I was now considered akin to these ones? But I remained low when they were low and flew high when they flew high.

One of them turned against me because of his hatred and the other got inclined the other way due to his in-law relationship and this thing and that thing, till the third man of these people stood up with heaving breasts between his dung and fodder. With him his children of his grand-father, (Umayyah) also stood up swallowing up Allah's wealth like a camel devouring the foliage of spring, till his rope broke down, his actions finished him and his gluttony brought him down prostrate.

At that moment, nothing took me by surprise, but the crowd of people rushing to me. It advanced towards me from every side like the mane of the hyena so much so that Hasan and Husain were getting crushed and both the ends of my shoulder garment were torn. They collected around me like the herd of sheep and goats.

When I took up the reins of government one party broke away and another turned disobedient while the rest began acting wrongfully as if they had not heard the word of Allah saying:

That abode in the hereafter, We assign it for those who intend not toexult themselves in the earth, nor (to make) mischief (therein); and theend is (best) for the pious ones. (Quran, 28:83)

Yes, by Allah, they had heard it and understood it but the world appeared glittering in their eyes and its embellishments seduced them. Behold, by Him who split the grain (to grow) and created living beings,

if people had not come to me,

and supporters had not exhausted the argument,

and if there had been no pledge of Allah with the learned to the effect that they should not acquiesce in the gluttony of the oppressor and the hunger of the oppressed,

I would have cast the rope of Caliphate on its own shoulders, and would have given the last one the same treatment as to the first one.

Then you would have seen that in my view this world of yours is no better than the sneezing of a goat!

(It is said that when Ameerul Momineen reached here in his sermon a man of Iraq stood up and handed him over a writing. Ameerul Momineen began looking at it, when Ibn Abbas said, "O' Ameerul Momineen, I wish you resumed your Sermon from where you broke it." Thereupon Imam Ali (A.S.) replied, "O' Ibn Abbas it was like the foam of a Camel which gushed out but subsided." Ibn Abbas says that he never grieved over any utterance as he did over this one because Ameerul Momineen could not finish it as he wished to.)

wa salam

Imam Ali (as) First in many Fields

1. He was the only man to be born in the Kabah (The house of God)

2. He was the first to offer homage to the Holy Prophet (pbuh&HF)

3. He was the first to offer prayers after the Holy Prophet (pbuh&HF)

4. He was the first to offer his services for Jihad.

5. He was the first to receive religious instructions from the Holy Prophet (pbuh&HF)

6. He was the first to compile and codify the Quran

7. He was the first to be styled as "brother" by the Prophet (pbuh&HF) and on every occasion

8. He was the first to give burial to the Prophet (pbuh&HF)

9. He was the first to offer to sleep in the Prophet's (pbuh&HF) bed on the night of his emigration to Medina

10. He was the first to be appointed commander in all those battles in which the Holy Prophet (pbuh&HF) didnot participate personally

11. The honor of the propagation of the Quranic Sura, "al Bara'at" fell to Imam Ali's (as) lot

------------------------------

Imam Ali and the Ancient Prophets

1. God gave Adam the knowledge of His names, while Ali held the entire knowledge of the Book of Allah.

2. Adam was married with Eve in the Garden of Paradise, while God married Imam Ali (as) with Fatima (as) in heaven

3. God styled Noah as a "Grateful Creature" and he was called the Second Adam, while Imam Ali (as) was styled as "Abu'l Ummah"

4. God made Abraham the "Imam" or the "Leaders of men", while Imam Ali (as) was the Imam of all creation, men and Jinnis

5. Moses was brought up in the house of Pharoah, while Imam Ali (as) was brought up in the house of the Prophet (pbuh&HF)

6. Moses threw his rod which became a serpent, whereas Imam Ali (as), while still in the cradle, cleaved the snake into two

7. Moses name has been mentioned 230 times in the Quran, while Imam Ali's (as) has been referred to in 300 places in the Quran

12. He was the only man to be titled as the "Second Aaron" by the Prophet (pbuh&HF)

13. The honor of owning a house which opened into the courtyard of the Prophet's (pbuh&HF) mosque was reserved for Imam Ali (as) alone

14. He was the first to have the honor of being nominated by the Holy Prophet (pbuh&HF) as his succesor, testator and vice regent.

YA ALI

Lanatollah Nasibi + Moqaser

He was of noblest birth for both his father and mother were Hashimites.

He was the only person to be born in the Kaaba (the house of God).

He was the only Divinely authorized witness and Attester that Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of God. (Surah Raad Verse 43, Surah Hood Verse 17 and Surah Saha Verse 6.).

He was the first to offer prayers after the Holy Prophet.

He was the only one to offer his assistance to the Holy Prophet at the gathering of Dawat-e-Asheera.

Ali was the only one (except the Holy Prophet) whom God inspired with Divine Secrets.

He was the first to compile and codify the Quran.

He had the distinction of being styled as “Brother” by the Prophet on both the occasions of “before Hijrat” at Mecca and after Hijrat at Medina.

Ali was the only one named by the Holy Prophet to bathe his body after his death.

Ho was the only warrior to stick to his post on the battlefield in all battles and who never once turned his back.

It was he who was appointed Commander in all the battles in which the Holy Prophet did not partici­pate personally and was the Standard Bearer when the Prophet participated.

He was the great warrior who succeeded in killing all adversaries who fought against him.

It was Ali who caught and conquered pagan ‘Jinns’ many of whom accepted Islam.

The honor of the propagation of the Quranic Surah “Al-Baraat” (the Immunity) fell to Ali’s lot, the Prophet saying that either he himself or Ali could do it and no one else, thereby raising him Supreme above all others.

It was he on whom the Holy Prophet bestowed the title “a Second Aaron.”

The privilege of removing the symbols of Arab paganism from the Kaaba (after the conquest of Mecca) was also reserved for Ali.

Ali had the good fortune to have the sublimest woman of the world Fatima as his wife and a unique father-in-law like the Prophet and sons like Hasan and Husain.

Ali had the honor of being nominated by the Holy Prophet as his Successor, Testator and Vicegerent.

Ali was also honored by being styled “Moula” (Master) of the “Ummah” (nation) by the Holy Prophet, by the mandate of God.

Ali is the one who (long before the creation of the universe) came into being along with the Holy Prophet each of them being a fragment of the same ‘Noor’, (Light), Muhammad having the Prophethood and Ali having the ‘Vilayath’. (Authority).

Ali while in the stage of ‘Noor’ has been the Divine Professor who imparted knowledge to Gabriel and other angels - hence known as the Teacher of Gabriel.

Ali is the only one who continues in himself the attributes of all the Prophets put together.

Ali is the Head of all the Spiritual Lines of the Ahl­e-Tariqat and Sufis.

Ali is the replica of the Holy Prophet and is to him what the head is to a body.

The Prophet and Ali alone could come to the Mosque when under the obligation of a bath.

Ali’s door, like that of the Prophet, that opened in the Mosque was retained while the doors of all others were closed under a Divine Mandate.

Ali is the one who was ordained to assist all Mess­engers of God from Adam to Jesus, hiddenly and to come out openly to assist the Holy Prophet.

Ali is the sole one divinely designated as the Hand of God, Face of God, Eye of God, Ear of God, Tongue of God and Symbol of God.

He is the only one, acknowledgment of whose ‘Vilayath’ (authority) along with the Prophethood of Muhammad is the basic requisite for the Pro­phethood of any Messenger of God.

Like the Holy Prophet, Ali was bestowed upon with miracles, such as on two occasions he made the sun come back from the west when it had already set.

Besides the Holy Prophet, Ali is the only one, de­parture of whose soul depends on his own will.

He is the distributor of Kausar and will allot Heaven or Hell as deserved.

Lanatollah Nasibi + Moqaser

A man asked Imam Ali (a.s.) in Masjid-e-Kufa, “What is the distance between me and (pointing towards the sun) and the sun”.

It is worth mentioning here about the complexity of this question. This man was an Arab. And in the Arabic language the numbers or count is limited upto one thousand (1000). The count in arabic does not exceed 1000. The answer to the question this man asked dealt in millions (distance).

It was like a challenge to Imam Ali (a.s.) to answer him in a convincing manner without confusing him.

Imam Ali (a.s.) answered : “If an Arab horse starts walking from here and continues walking for 500 years, then he (horse) will reach the sun.”

The man got convinced and walked away.

But it is for us now to ponder on what Imam Ali (a.s.) said. This one sentence of Imam Ali (a.s.) shows and proves the genius that Imam Ali (a.s.) was.

Imam Ali (a.s.) said “If an Arab horse…”, the average speed of an arab horse is 22 mph (miles per hour).

If a horse runs the full day (24hours) it will cover approximately 520 miles. This gives us the distance the horse will cover in 24 hrs (one day).

To calculate the distance covered by the horse in one month we multiply it 520 by 29.5 (Taking an average of the number of months in urdu callender. Assuming that 6 months are of 29 days and 6 months are of 30 days.). It gives us something around 15,500. The horse covers 15,500 miles in one month (30 days).

To get the distance that he will travel in one year we multiply it by 12. Since there are 12 months in a year. It gives you 1,86,000.

Then multiply 1,86,000 by 500 as the horse should run for 500 years. It gives you 9,34,00,000 miles.

Now if you ask an astronomer about the distance of sun from the earth he will tell you that the distance is never constant. The orbit of the earth is oval in shape. Sometimes it comes nearer to the sun and on occasions it distances itself from the sun. When the earth is closest to the sun its distance is 9,10,00,000 miles and the distance when it is farthest from the sun is 9,48,00,000 miles. When you take an average on these two distances it comes around 9,30,000 miles.

Imam Ali (a.s.) 1400 years back told us about the distance of the earth from the sun. This also proves that Imam Ali (a.s.) was a genius in Astronomy, Zoology and Arithmetic.

(salam)

Amazing!

The closest reasonable estimate for the distance between the earth and the sun was made in 1671 when the telescopes were reinvented! The figure that we have today, of aprrox. 93 million miles, was only established in 1961-ish.

Thanks for sharing this info bro, do you have a reference for that hadith?

When you take an average on these two distances it comes around 9,30,000 miles.

Correction: 93,000,000 miles :D