Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are you still the same person ?

Rate this topic

assalamu alaikum

being a female my life has changed so much alhamduliah... i have more respect for myself and more self confidence...i have been given more strength and patience to endure some of the hardest tests of my life that if i had not had islam and my faith i would not have been able to get thru it... but alhamdulilah all of the changes in my life have been positive ... and i also get more respect from others .....

UmAli

• Advanced Member

Salaamun Alaikum

Well, it's been over 7 years now, and in retrospect I can say that: my personality and basic though processes hasnt changed much if at all. Behavior has of course changed in various ways, as well as some aspects (but not much) of my world view.

Leila

Selam alaycom,

I am a totally different person. I agree with Um Ali (my twin sis :wub: ). Alhamdulillah.

Peace,

Um Ali

assalamu alaikum

of course u do....like there would be anothere option besides agreeing with me...lol..now we just have to teach sis scary muslimah to repeat after us... :P

and then there were three...

UmAli

• Advanced Member

Selam alaycom,

Revert muslimahs yapping to each other.   

It's so beautiful masha'Allah 

Yes, it is! Subhanallah, one of the most beautiful things about Islam is the sisterhood, and the sisterhood with the reverts is even more special, because we've all 'been there and done that'. Lots of us had similar former lifestyles and experiences. It brings us even closer. Alhamdulillah, another one of the joys and blessings of Islam. Allahu Akbar! :)

Peace,

Um Ali

• Advanced Member

Salaam alaikum,

I agree with the two Um Ali's. Almost everything in my life has changed.

Things that have changed:

1. My perceptions of our Creator

2. My perceptions of the reality, meaning, and purpose of life

3. The food I eat

4. The clothes I wear

5. The way I think

6. The way I behave

7. The things I do

8. The things I no longer do

Things that haven't changed:

I still breath, eat, drink, walk and talk. :)

WaSalaam, Hajar

Since reverting to you associate much with your former friends, or do you find that you have grown apart from them ?

Or how has it affected your relationship with your family ?

assalamu alaikum

no i do not associate with any former friends that i had but i converted at the age of 17 so the friends i had then i do not think i would still be friends with them now even if i was not muslim due to the way they have chosen to live their lives...

as for my family alhamduliah now almost nine yrs later we have a good strong relationship ... they had no real probs when i converted but wheni started wearing hijab is when the probs started .. but when they realized that i was not being forced and it was my choice and i educated them on the teachings of islam then after time we have a good relationship... they respect me and i respect them.... so alhamdulilah it is ok..

i agree with sis hajar .. every thing that has changed inmy life has been positive... there is nothing that i do not do anymore that i wish i could still do .. and there is nothing that i have to do that i wish i did not have to do.. alhamduliah Allah swt is most merciful... i was given a great gift that i had to fight hard to keep and inshallah i will never let go..

Redneck YANK in her. Get over here north of the Mason Dixon line sis!

Peace,

sis Um Ali read her previous statement... come on tell the truth u can just hear the southern draw in it... she may be a yank but she has a hidden redneck deep inside struggling to get out...

UmAli

• Advanced Member
Since reverting to you associate much with your former friends, or do you find that you have grown apart from them ?

salaam alaikum

As for the friends I had, I have grown away from most of them(the keyword being grown) I feel that because of my religious beliefs I have a better grasp on what I do , why I do things, and the consequences. Instead of just doing things becasue it's what I want or becasue it's cool etc. What I have noticed as well is the freindships that I have now are a great deal more healthy, strong, and benificial to myself and my life.

As for my family.Alhumdulillah I have a much stronger bond with my family, espicially with my mom. As for what is different or the same, my outlook on life is much more positive and I try to look at my blessing as just that. There is alot more but I think you get the idea. ^_^

wa salaam

aliya

Edited by lilacfatima

• Advanced Member

Salaam alaikum,

It's kind of difficult to remain friends with people, that you no longer have anything in common with. Mostly friends have something in common. So no, I don't have the same friends now. I do however, touch bases with one person that was my childhood friend, from time to time. We were best friends from fifth grade through high school. Every few years I give her a phone call and we touch bases. I've also seen her three times in the last 20 years. Twice she visited me when I was in town and once I visited her.

She told me once, after I had been Muslim for about 4 years that she had had a dream about me. In her dream I had this light shinning from me. She said it was like I was glowing and had this light radiating from me going in all directions. She said I looked really happy. She wanted to know what was going on in my life. So I told her I had become Muslim. She asked me about my beliefs. I had hopes that she might become Muslim too. But that never happened.

As for my family, I think they are used to it by now. I don't think they agree that it's a good thing, but after 23 years, they accept it as my life.

WaSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member

salaam alaikum

Hajar's mom watches fati sometimes when I have to mop the floor or when I'm at her house and have to run to my house 10 feet away to get something. :D Other than that she is usually with me all the time, a couple times with her daddy. The only person my hubby and I have left her with for more than 10 min is Hajar.

wa salaam

aliya

salaam alaikum

Hajar's mom watches fati sometimes when I have to mop the floor or when I'm at her house and have to run to my house 10 feet away to get something. :D Other than that she is usually with me all the time, a couple times with her daddy. The only person my hubby and I have left her with for more than 10 min is Hajar.

wa salaam

aliya

assalamu alaikum

so u would not leave your kids with your non muslim family??? or is it only b/c u had not had to do that yet?? but if u had to would u ??

UmAli

• Advanced Member
must be the redneck in her... lol 

recneck??? Im from DENVER! blahhhh woman!

As for a non Muslim watching my girls, well yes I let my mom watch the girls, but she's also extremely respectful about food laws, tahirat, etc etc. She's also pretty secular, although spiritual, which means no non Muslim religious dogma from her at ALL. I'm one of those reverts who tended to luck out in terms of family acceptance (although my huge male cousin who's a cop thinks its funny to run up and bear crunch me even though he's nut supposed to! AIEEE!!!)

Now when I begin working, I'd like to find a Muslim to watch my girls, but she'd better be shia, because most of the sunnis here do NOT eat halal meat- I had one sunni lady watch my girls for 1 hour one time, and I walked in right when she was serving some HOT DOGS from the store! Thank Allah I got there in time, esp since I TOLD her about the halal meat thing. So, honestly, I think I might just go looking for a caretaker who is a vegitarian and believes in attachment parenting and isn't a religious fanatic in any religion. At least I know my kids wont come home wearing a cross or with their stomachs full of hebrew national hot dogs!

Leila

• Advanced Member
salaam alaikum

Hajar's mom watches fati sometimes when I have to mop the floor or when I'm at her house and have to run to my house 10 feet away to get something. :D  Other than that she is usually with me all the time, a couple times with her daddy. The only person my hubby and I have left her with for more than 10 min is Hajar.

wa salaam

aliya

assalamu alaikum

so u would not leave your kids with your non muslim family??? or is it only b/c u had not had to do that yet?? but if u had to would u ??

UmAli

salaam alaikum

I would let my mom and my older brother watch her. I would let maw maw (hajar's mom) watch her but fati's a little too much to handle,ie. getting into too much stuff and all over the place before you realize it. Sometimes she too fast for me.

wa salaam

aliya

Edited by lilacfatima

• Advanced Member

Selam alaycom,

I let my mom and my auntie watch them... they know about tahara and the food restrictions. My mom even knows the prayer times and asked them if they've prayed. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't let non muslims watch them. They have a musilm nanny, so there is little chance of needing that.

Peace,

Um Ali

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

im a little delayed with my reply i know :|

anyway well i dont really agree with most of you...i reckon im still the same person to be honest...like yes of course minor changes have occured and stuff but im still 'ME' and im glad!

i was catholic...not so religious...pretty much just went to church on occasions...went to sunday school went to church when i needed to 'confess'...

when i started reading abt islam and when i actually did convert the only real change that i had to make was to start believeing that my actions and thoughts really do count...that if i sin i will pay for it in the after life...being a catholic i always thought 'as long as i believed in jesus christ ill be fine' ...but now its like 'take every opportunity to do good and TRY make your way in2 heaven an easy road'

but @ the end of the day..im still the same girl...im just not as ignorant and oh yeh i know that ill have an interesting conversion story that im so proud of to tell everyone i meet :D

well thats my opinion anyway!

:)

• Advanced Member

:Hijabi:

(bismillah)

salam alaykum,

i am new here and i am a new muslim and I would like to say i have changed alot and I have a beautiful feeling in my heart and a pece and love and conectedness inever ever felt in my life Thank God for the truth and I am grateful each day for the blessing God has given to me!