Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SNaqvi1214

question

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is impossible because you are asking Allah to be weak. Once you attribute omnipotence to Him, then you negate all weaknesses from Him. So it is impossible for an All-powerful God to be weak.

This reminds me of the question "can god create another god like himself?" God by definition is uncreated, so this question is saying can God create an uncreated? It is a logical fallacy that fools the weak in mind.

Edited by Ali786

(bismillah)

(salam)

Someone once asked Imam Jafar as-Sadiq (as) a similar question:

"‘Abdallah al-Daysani asked Hisham ibn al-Hakam, ‘Do you have a God?’" He replied, "Yes, I have a God." He then asked, "Is He powerful?" Hisham then replied, "Yes, He is powerful and the most powerful One." The man then asked, "Can He fit the whole world inside an egg without any change in the size of either one?" Hisham then said, "Give me a little time." The man said, "I give you one whole year and he left." Hisham then went to see Imam abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) for an Answer. After asking permission that he was granted Hisham explained, "Al-Daysani asked me a question today and I see no one except Allah and yourself to answer it." The Imam then asked, "What is the question?" Hisham restated the question that al-Daysani had asked. The Imam then said, "O Hisham, how many are your senses?" He replied, "They are five." The Imam then asked, "Which one is the smallest?" He replied, "The seeing sense." The Imam then asked, "How big is its size?" He replied, "It is about the size of the pupil or smaller." The Imam then said, "O Hisham, look in front of you and above you and then tell me what you have seen." Hisham then replied, "I can see the sky, the earth, the houses, the buildings, the land, the mountains and the water canals." The Imam then said, "The One who has been able to fit all that you can see in a pupil or even a smaller thing is also able to fit the whole world in side an egg without any change in the size of any one of them. Hisham bowed down and kissed the feet, the hands and the head of the Imam (a.s.) saying, "This is enough for me O descendant of the holy Prophet and then left for his home.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Yes this is impossible because you are asking Allah to be weak. Once you attribute omnipotence to Him, then you negate all weaknesses from Him. So it is impossible for an All-powerful God to be weak.

This reminds me of the question "can god create another god like himself?" God by definition is uncreated, so this question is saying can God create an uncreated? It is a logical fallacy that fools the weak in mind.

Great answer, but someone ignorant might respond, "So you're saying it's impossible for even God to do so?"

What then? But I agree with your answer. It's just that it's one of those questions that "tickles" your mind. But that's exactly what it's asking, it's asking or limiting Allah's (SWT) power, Allah the Eternal, the All Powerfull. :angel:

(bismillah)

(salam)

Someone once asked Imam Jafar as-Sadiq (as) a similar question:

"‘Abdallah al-Daysani asked Hisham ibn al-Hakam, ‘Do you have a God?’" He replied, "Yes, I have a God." He then asked, "Is He powerful?" Hisham then replied, "Yes, He is powerful and the most powerful One." The man then asked, "Can He fit the whole world inside an egg without any change in the size of either one?" Hisham then said, "Give me a little time." The man said, "I give you one whole year and he left." Hisham then went to see Imam abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) for an Answer. After asking permission that he was granted Hisham explained, "Al-Daysani asked me a question today and I see no one except Allah and yourself to answer it." The Imam then asked, "What is the question?" Hisham restated the question that al-Daysani had asked. The Imam then said, "O Hisham, how many are your senses?" He replied, "They are five." The Imam then asked, "Which one is the smallest?" He replied, "The seeing sense." The Imam then asked, "How big is its size?" He replied, "It is about the size of the pupil or smaller." The Imam then said, "O Hisham, look in front of you and above you and then tell me what you have seen." Hisham then replied, "I can see the sky, the earth, the houses, the buildings, the land, the mountains and the water canals." The Imam then said, "The One who has been able to fit all that you can see in a pupil or even a smaller thing is also able to fit the whole world in side an egg without any change in the size of any one of them. Hisham bowed down and kissed the feet, the hands and the head of the Imam (a.s.) saying, "This is enough for me O descendant of the holy Prophet and then left for his home.

:cry: Tears of joy...

(bismillah)

(salam)

Bro. aZiZi, the question in itself is meaningless. If you define something as All-Powerful, then it is impossible to attribute weakness to it. A similar quesion might be can God make something so difficult that He can't figure it out? Well, when you attribute knowledge to God then you negate all ignorance from Him so you cannot speak about God in such terms.

It's not about whether God can do this or not, God can do anything but there are certain things which lie outside the domain of power. What is being proposed is impossible and an impossible thing cannot be attributed to God.

(bismillah)

(salam)

BTW, I should add there is a second riwayah when another person asked the Imam (as) the same question. The Imam (as) explained to him that such a thing is an impossibility and it is not correct to attribute impossible things to God. The person was content with the answer and left. Hisham was there and he asked Imam, "Why did you give me a different answer than you gave him?" He replied, "The answer depends on the person and the circumstance." We are ordered to talk to people according to the level of their intelligence.

(bismillah)

(salam)

BTW, I should add there is a second riwayah when another person asked the Imam (as) the same question. The Imam (as) explained to him that such a thing is an impossibility and it is not correct to attribute impossible things to God. The person was content with the answer and left. Hisham was there and he asked Imam, "Why did you give me a different answer than you gave him?" He replied, "The answer depends on the person and the circumstance." We are ordered to talk to people according to the level of their intelligence.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Yes, I have heard of this also, well not the story, but the quote of speaking to people according to thier intelligence. Many Mawlanahs say this to us on a number of occassions when we are listening to thier sermons. You can't tell that above answer to a person who...let's say has ESL Classes.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Yes, it is a hadith of the Prophet (saw) who said that they (the prophets) never speak to people at the height of their knowledge because they are commanded to speak at the level of the peoples' understanding.

Ya Rasul! pbuh

Edited by aZiZi

a stupid loser asked me this question. i dont know how to answer it:

since God is all-powerful, Can God create a rock heavy enough that He cant pick it up?

These questions are the best!!! YES GOD CAN DO IT!

You know how!?

He gets one of his angels to move it! Since he can't move it, surely he can make his angels or a jin do it ;)

Another good one is CAN god put the whole universe inside an egg without making the universe smaller or the egg bigger?

Surely he can!! Very simple! Try this trick yourself, it's all about perception! You YOURSELF can put a fridge inside an egg. Move a good distance away from your fridge, hold the egg so it's alined with your eye, and watch magically as your fridge fits inside this egg! amazing eh? ;) lol :D

Many Mawlanahs say this to us on a number of occassions when we are listening to thier sermons.

this is a little off topic, but since i started the thread i think i can do that. :)

i have come to notice that a major reason the youth in my community dont have much interest or knowledge on religion is because the mulanas tend to speak in such a higher level of laungage, whether its urdu, gujrati, etc etc, that the youth can not even grasp the concept the preacher is preaching. i mean, the level of vocabulary is so high that you'd never hear it in daily conversation, and only the elderly elders (really old people back from the old country) are not lost in thought.

i agree with you, mulanas do say this... but then why dont they follow it?

lol bro/sis lebstyle.... i'm laughing so hard i'm crying!

(bismillah)

(salam)

Salamz bro

I came accross this before, and masha'Allah there were a few other answers too.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...wtopic=42&st=20

check the 10th post down about the conversation i had with a guy who asked about the rock too.

ws

I feel sorry for the brothers that have to argue with the athiests on these topics. It can be frustrating. It's like teaching a dog a trick and watching the dog run away like an idiot...
:D lol

There are only two men in history who truly understood who or what Allah(swt) is. Rasoolallah(sawa) and Imam Ali(as).

the other masumeen? and the pious ulema? and the masum-e-karbala?????

One athiest and i had a conversation kinda like this

Athiest: Do you believe God is almighty?

Me: yeppp.

Athiest: Then you believe he can make a really big rock?

Me: yeppp.

Athiest: Can he make such a big rock that he can't lift?

What he was trying to get at is, if God is All-Mighty, if He can make such a big rock that He can't lift, He is limited, and if He can't make such a big rock, he is limited again.

I had two answers for him. One is that God is not such that you can give Him physical attributes. Secondly, i asked him, what's infinity + 1 ??? He said, infinity. I said, what is infinity - 1??? He said, infinity. I said, how far does infinity go? What is beyond infinite? He said, i don't know, i can't answer that, it's beyond human capacity.

I said, EXACTLY. A rock so big is beyond human capacity and so is the creation of such a rock or the capability to lift it. It'd be an infinatly large rock, with infinate power to lift it. We humans are created in such a way that we exist in a domain. God's domain. Do we know what is beyond the universe? Do we know what is beyond every physical matter? Do we know what was before the big bang, before the eneregy collisions, in other words, every single theory in the universe testifies that one element came into being through an action of one or more other elements. We cannot explain how NOTHING came into SOMETHING. It is beyond human capacity.

good answer! i'd never think of the infinity thing...

So when the athiest asks, who created God, it is the same principle. It is beyond human capacity even to think of such.

werent we created which a mind to try and comprehend such a thing?

while we're at it, why did God create man? i mean, i love Him and all, but why were we created?

I had two answers for him. One is that God is not such that you can give Him physical attributes. Secondly, i asked him, what's infinity + 1 ??? He said, infinity. I said, what is infinity - 1??? He said, infinity. I said, how far does infinity go? What is beyond infinite? He said, i don't know, i can't answer that, it's beyond human capacity.

Well the comment about the infinite solution. Infinite means forever, it is a definition. When the question was asked "whats beyond infinite" the proper response should have been "infinite" and not "i don't know". BEYOND forever IS forever, even with the flawed structure of the question the answer is quite plain. Remember, if infinity +1 = infinite and infinite +1 is BEYOND infinite therefore anything BEYOND infinite is infinite... it is within human capacity! So your point is void.

We humans are amazing beings, from sending humans to the moon to being able to annihilate the earth 7 times over, we are smart! Never doubt the fact we have the ABILITY to invent god even if GOD never existed.