Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aale Mohammad

Do you listen to music?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

in the time of the Prophet -saws-and Imams-as- ppl used to take undue advantages of music and esp. bany umayya used it in bad ways. it is why our Imams banned it. otherwise all sorts of music are not haram and it depends on the ways we use them.

wassalam

Edited by zeinab

(bismillah)

(salam)

in the time of the Prophet -saws-and Imams-as- ppl used to take undue advantages of music and esp. bany umayya used it in bad ways. it is why our Imams banned it. otherwise all sorts of music are not haram and it depends on the ways (salam) we use them.

wassalam

Thank you for some one who finally answered my question.

To another person on this thread I might add that if you want others to understand your religion it is best to be neither condesending nor smart mouthed. I could ask you 10 questions about my country conserning Islam that 90% of the people here could not answer. Please be more careful. Good manners cross all lines religious or economic.

(bismillah)

(salam)

it is why our Imams banned it.

wassalam

References?

Thank you for some one who finally answered my question.

To another person on this thread I might add that if you want others to understand your religion it is best to be neither condesending nor smart mouthed. I could ask you 10 questions about my country conserning Islam that 90% of the people here could not answer. Please be more careful. Good manners cross all lines religious or economic.

Mostly, music that is considered morally corruptive is impermissible. I personally listen to classical music occasionally, and it is one of the types that are allowed.

Why do poeple listen to music? It's obvious they enjoy it, and the reasons for this may include passing time, as a form of relaxation.

There may not seem anything wrong with that. But first we have to understand the concept of halal and haram.

Human beings are highly versatile and can adapt to different situations easily, so it's very rare that everyone will react to an influence in the same way. So all human beings may not be affected by a tiny bit of alcohol, or a little music.

However, Islam is a religion for all the people AS WELL AS the individual. So if there is something that affects a large percentage of the people in an undesirable manner, such as alcohol causing drunckeness and disorder, then Islam will make it haraam from the very start on the basis that PREVENTON IS BETTER THAN CURE. This means that it's better to stop doing something bad happening in the first place rather than doing something about it when it happens.This approach is common sense.

Allah also says in the Holy Qur'an that some things in small quantities do have good effects for us, but the bad effects outweigh the good, therefore overall it is harmful and forbidden.

They ask you concerning wine and gambling. Say:"In them is great sin, and some profit for men, but the sin is greater than the profit.:....Thus doth God make clear to you His signs:in order that you may consider." Surah 2:219

Back to music. What's undesirable about it?

Music has effects on the mind and the body. The effect depends on the type of music.

With some music, soft and soothing, one relaxes and opens up the mind, closes the eyes and lets the music "flow" through the body. This causes the heart beat and other electric signals of the body to start adapting to the beat of the music which can cause disorder.

With other types, the mind is possesed! Very often, with loud music, played at discos and parties, the people dance to the rythme in the music. This causes them to lose control over their nafs (their self) so that they dance with their parteners coming very close and losing all sense of shame, thinking and commiting acts which area result of their desires.

It is also this type of music which tends to groups such as head bangers and heavy metal.

Music then becomes like a drug, a person needs more of it and finds it difficult to stop and to obtain the same effect they play the music louder and louder, which is bad for the ears.

One of the most important reasons is that music has an effect on society. Many youngsters growing up in the Western world identify themselves with a certain band or group. You will see posters in their bedrooms, their clothes, and personality changes to emulate this model. When you see the screaming dancing atmosphere at concerts, you can imagine whta poweful effect music has on the mind and the body.

It is unfortunate that the societ we live in defines enjoymnet as anything which makes you forget the world.....music,..alcohol...drugs... :(

They all have TWO COMMON factors.

1 They are an escape from reality

2 They are addictive.

What does this tell you about the level of contentment in a normal life?

It might not effect everyone to the same degree, but it defenitly affects a large % of people to become haraam.

One final point is to be aware that Allah forbis us something for our benefit. He is closer to us than our skin, we must realize that His laws are there to perfect our character.

and those whom from what is vain, keep themseleves aloof: Surah al Moomineen verse 3

Satan's pla is but to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of God, and from prayer:will you not then abstain? Surah 5:94

I hope I've helped you understand why it's haram, especially Neverland Queen ^_^

Two years ago I also quit music because I got bored with it but after 6 months I got bored of not listening to music so I started listening to it again. And now, I try to maintain a balance neither too much nor too less.

Alsalam Alaykom,

I used to listen to music, but lately i stopped and i started listening to Sami Yusuf. He sings religious songs that i really like. Is that haram? to listen to religious songs? they have music but theyre religious.

Is it true..never heard of it before :huh:

or you just made that up :unsure:

(bismillah)

(salam)

No sis.

I heard it in a lecture from Sayed Mahdi al Modaressi.

Sorry I don't have the direct allusions.

(bismillah)

(salam)

No sis.

I heard it in a lecture from Sayed Mahdi al Modaressi.

Sorry I don't have the direct allusions.

Its ok bro

I told my brother the other day about it

and he was laughing at me

its good that it turned out true so if

I tell him next time he wouldn't laugh at me anymore or

or think I'm wierd :squeez:

Its ok bro

I told my brother the other day about it

and he was laughing at me

its good that it turned out true so if

I tell him next time he wouldn't laugh at me anymore or

or think I'm wierd :squeez:

(bismillah)

(salam)

lol

I know how it feels-my brothers cracked up as well. But the way al Modaressi said it; had a profound effect in my heart.

Edited by Wise Muslim

SALAAM

Talking about Sayyed Moderrasi...I heard one of his Lectures during Muharram somewhere online years ago..I thought he was excellent!!

Where can i get his latest Muharram recordings?? (English only)....hopefully downloadable

Salam o elikum,

We know that there is difference in opinion amongst the marjas as to what type of music is haram and what is not. But even when we are sure that the music we listen to is forbidden, we still find it hard to stay away from it. The problem is that music has become so rampant in our society, nobody finds anything bad in even the most vulgar songs. In reality however, haram music is one of the biggest sins.

I feel this issue needs to be highlighted again and again so that people realize the gravity of this sin. This poll is a general survey; plz do not hesitate in being honest because voters remain anonymous and not even the admin/mods can find out which option you voted for.

Thankyou for your vote.

wassalam.

I avoid any composition that contains "Ghina"

MashAllah, alot of thoughts alot of reflecting

http://www.modarresi.org/

sorry forgot to mention, heres Sayyed Moderrasi's site that i came across. Not gone through it fully, will do, i did see lectures on here in english.

salaam

http://www.modarresi.org/

very nice..Thanks for posting the website bro

Edited by The Rose Of Karbala

(salam)

Dear All

The answer to this poll, is that, I try not to listen to music of any sort, because music of any kind is haram (please read the previous pages, and you will find tons of hadiths condemning music, musical instruments, maker/trader of musical instruments and so on and so forth). If I do listen to any kind of music, I know I have committed a sin, and I offer my tauba.

If you read the works (Tohfat ul awam) done by yesteryear Marja’s, every one has condemned all kinds of music, yet today we find marja’s who are dividing music into two kinds,one is halal and one is haram, allowing paintings (which is based on illusion/qiyas), and qiyas is haram. The fear which has crept with this kind of religious liberation is that one loses the fine line between what is haram and what is halal, if you know that you are committing a sin ( we all are sinners, except the 14 infallibles) by listening to music or painting, you can offer Tauba, and hope that the almighty merciful Allah will forgive you, but once you start believing that you are not sinning (even though you are), you are in a very dangerous territory, so I definitely belong to those group of people who believes that music of all kinds are haram, and I will copy some of the previous postings, to prove my point.

“This is revealed in a lengthy tradition of Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) as recorded in the book "Tohafful Uqool". Similarly, Shaykh Hurr al-Aamili records the following tradition from Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.):

"The Almighty Allah has prohibited the manufacture of all such things that are exclusively used in Haraam ways; and things that only create evil like pipe, flute, chess and all types of instruments of gambling, images, statues. The manufacture of all such articles is Haraam."”

Also

Here is some information from The Greater Sin(Dastagaib-e-Shirazi)

Music - According to the Traditions

Some more traditions prohibiting music are given below.

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) reports from the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) that he said:

"I prohibit for you dancing and playing flute, drums and tabla."

(Al Kafi)

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) has also said,

"The Almighty Allah has sent me as a mercy to the worlds, to guide the people. And He ordered me to eradicate the playing of flute and other instruments of music, all games of vice, idol (worship) and all practices of the days of ignorance."

(Mustadrakul Wasael, Chapter 79)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says,

"A person who has received blessings from Allah and while having these blessings, he plays flute. It is as if he has been thankless of the blessings."

(Wasaelush Shia)

Every moment of our lives, we are enjoying Allah's unlimited benevolence.

Music Causes Shamelessness and Hypocrisy

The Sixth Imam (a.s.) has also stated,

"The playing of violin promotes the growth of hypocrisy in the heart like water assists the growth of vegetation (algae)."

(Wasaelush Shia)

regards

mizas

What is the exact verdict of Ayatollah Sistaani in regards to music??

Ofcourse the traditions of the Imams are definitely more valuable but maybe we take it out of context without getting approved footnotes from learned scholars by declaring all types of Music to be haram.

For example, hezbollah made a victory video with the use of instruments. Would that be classed as Haraam too?

Dear wazz

Hezbollah or any other religious/political party are not above the 14 Infallibles, even though their believes and their cause have some merits, so yes if they are playing music, it is haram, and I say this under the context of what our Imams have said earlier about music.

Further a momin or a mutaqqi would always follow the PATH of "Ehtiyat".

REGARDS

mizas

ok...its just that some Marjas allow music. Certainly there must be a reason for this. Though above traditions from the Imams were quoted but can we be certain that such traditions class all forms of Music as Haram or are they implying certain types of Music. Furthermore, i trust that those Marjas, such as Ayatollah Sistani, who allow certain types of Music do so with careful study of traditions both from the Prophet (P) and Imams (as).

http://www.sistani.org/html/eng/menu/4/?la...=123&page=1

This site...if i stand corrected, is the online resalah (laws and conditions) from Ayatollah Sistani. It states the following:

Question : Can a Muslim listen to music?

Answer : Music that is permissible is the music that does not entail entertainment in gatherings held for that purpose. Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings.

The expression “the music or the song that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings” does not mean that the music or the song’s tune amuses the heart or changes the mental state because there is nothing wrong in it. The expression actually means that the person listening to the music or the song’s tune - especially if he is an expert in these matters - can distinguish that this tune is used in the entertainment and amusement gatherings or that it is similar to the tunes used therein.

Question : Please specify if any music is allowed in Islam?

Answer : Music is an art that has spread far and wide during these days. Some varieties of this art are permissible while others are forbidden; therefore, it is permissible to listen to the first while it is forbidden to listen to the latter.

Question : Is it haram for a Muslim to listen to music? If yes , why please explain?

Answer : Frivolous and licentious music is haram. The crucial line is in it [music] being commensurate with the gatherings of entertainment and moral depravity.

I am certainly not advocating anything...but with the interest of advancing into something that kinda baffles me, I hope all those who support the above verdict can further provide Hadith or traditions of the Imams which may have been employed in reaching the above rulings. If there is one thing im certain about, that is the religion of ISLAM, where everyting is clear and flawless. If there is a difference in opinion on either permitting Music or considering it Haram, wouldn't that discredit the viability of Islam? Or would we consider this as a poor attempt by both sunni and shia scholars in correctly adhering to Authentic traditions and sayings of the Masomeen in order to establish such decrees.

p.s. This post is not a challenge (Im Shia) - Only for learning and to extend my knowledge with your help!

(salam)

Dear Wazz

Sistani has also allowed paintings of Infallibles, which is purely based on qiyas (qiyas is one of the greater sin according to Imam raza, and therefore haram), because the person who is painting the features of Maula Abbas face hasnt seen him, and all his imaginations of how Maula abbas would have looked like are based on his assumptions/qiyas, which is haram, therefore, I follow what our Imam have said rather risking my Akhirat based on the intrepretations of some Marja, I am sure they have some right reasons for coming up with this intrepretation, but "Ehtiyat" is the essence of a Mutaqi

regards

mizas

(salam)

Just because a hadith exists it doesnt mean its authentic, and if it is authentic it doesnt mean we are knowledgable enough to know the context and the many other things that go into interpreting hadiths. This is why we have marjas to ask, so everybody just make things easy on yourselves and ask your marja. If your marja says its halal then there is no reason to forbid the halal. Obviously music that includes bad and unislamic things is haram, this is common sense.

Someone mentioned Hizballahs nasheeds. Hizballah does not have an official marja, but they are strong believers in wilayat al faqih, and many of them are followers of Sayid khamenai, who allows music. The music or nasheeds that Hizballah has do not include any haram, they are islamic and speak out against things such as oppression. What is so haram about promoting the truth in this way?

(salam)

Edited by Jnoub Libnan

Guest yaaliali

cant people enjoy listening too cool nohas there awsome man heres a link go to sv1.shiasoft.com (1 not i) go too nohay then sachey go too ameer-e-lash-kar-e-hussain ITS VERY buetufull

Music is like any form of communication; it can be used for good purposes to express joy and (regretably) for expressing corruption of the soul. U2's song "Vertigo" gives me a good vibe since it reflects the confusion of the modern world, but the song tells (at least to me) that there's something above all of that: God.

"Lights go down and all that I know is that you give me something. I can feel your love teaching me how. Your love is teaching me how... to neal."

And, "You give me something I can feel." That's all one really needs to know about God, IMHO.

Edited by captain sensible

Ruling on Songs by M.H. Fadlallah

The Religious Authority, Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlullah considers that “singing” is not a prohibited act in case it does not harm in its contents the profound intellectual and humane values and in case it is accompanied by a high-class music. His Eminence also considers that the songs that glorify the tyrants and the vicious regimes are prohibited like what is happening in many Arab countries where some singers praise their leaders because they are afraid of their tyranny or to flatter them. In a special general interview with Elaph newspaper, Sayyed Fadlullah gave the final word concerning the issue of the woman's voice declaring that he does not consider it a "Awra"(something that should be veiled having the same ruling as the parts of the body). Moreover, he deemed it permissible for a woman to sing in case the song's meanings are sublime, citing the experience of the Iranian government as evidence, where the media broadcasts songs. His Eminence draws a general line in prohibiting and permitting songs: but, he leaves the chance to the listener to classify the songs without mentioning names and details. However, he prohibits the jazz music that destroys the nerves and has negative effects on the listener.

It is prohibited to sing for the tyrants:

Q: Some may consider that discussing the issue of singing from a religious point of view is superficial issue since it does not even deserve to be raised in this context. Knowing that the songs surround us every where, what is your opinion concerning this issue?

A: In our opinion, the issue of singing depends on the vibration and undulation of the voice and the way of saying the words of the song, and this differs according to the voice’s pitch. The melodious voice gives the word a profound effect on the listener that may in its turn affect his sentiments. So, if the words of the song are just, normally, its melody will make the listener affected deeply by the meanings and thus he may react positively with them. On the contrary, if the words of the songs are of negative meanings, they may drive man to do evil or prohibited acts, to devastate or to be malicious. These meanings affect the listener negatively because he is able to understand them. Thus, through the effects of the song a person may be driven to do all the matters latent in his mind.

Q: Generally speaking, in the Arab World there are no songs that call for spreading the evil in frank expressions like what is happening in the West...?!

A: In the Arab World, singing is directed towards arousing the instincts. This kind of singing is prohibited because it makes the person live sexual obsessions due to the nature of the melody or the words of the song that arouse the instincts. Besides, the songs in which the singers glorify the tyrants and the vicious regimes or the evil states are also prohibited.

Q: Some songs are classified in the category of the patriotic songs although they glorify dictator leaders like what is happening in some Arab countries. Are these songs deemed permissible?

A: The patriotic songs that connect man with the positive meaning of one’s country like defending the country, keeping the freedom and independence and the like are absolutely not prohibited. Hence, we consider that the songs that praise the beauty of nature, the nostalgia towards one’s country or family …etc, in addition to the songs that upraise the soul and open the human horizons to Allah (The Exalted) and to all the spiritual songs are not prohibited.

The platonic love songs are not prohibited

Q: Why it is not prohibited to sing the nature and the sublime meanings, while, it is prohibited to sing love, knowing that even love has sublime meanings?

A: There is a difference between love that has a humane value and love in which man addresses the woman or the woman addresses the man. The second kind of love arouses the instincts, while, Islam does not want man’s instinct to be aroused because this arousal would lead into negative and immoral acts. On the other hand, the songs of love that have spiritual significations are not prohibited. An important point that we have to know in this context is that singing may steal the person’s will since he might be deeply stirred up by the song. Allah wants man to live his will according to his choice because it is up to him to direct his will either positively or negatively. But when he is dominated by the emotional conditions, through the exciting music that arouses his instincts unconsciously and drives him to behave in an unacceptable manner, he will be deprived of his right to choose.

Q: Is this also applied on the revolutionary songs that sometimes create violent reactions?

A: There is a point that should be clarified. If these songs represent the good deed for man, then, there is no problem in listening to them because when man is encouraged the results would be positive. But, the other aspects that make man behave in a negative manner when he is exited are absolutely rejected.

Q: So, is it a relative issue?

A: Yes, it is a relative issue even we prohibit listening to Jazz music that destroys the nerves and makes man live in a negative state that makes him behave involuntarily.

Q: Do you classify the songs according to their effects on the individual?

A: We classify songs according to the kind of their effect in general and not according to their effects on each person. For example, wine may not intoxicate some people, whereas, it is prohibited. Allah says: {and avoid false words} (22:3o). There is an interpretation that considers the false words as words that is not righteous. Allah also says: {And those who do not bear witness to what is valid} (25:72) that is interpreted by singing. We also have another verse that is: {But there are, among man, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah throw ridicule (on the Path)} (31:6). (Lahwa Alhadith) or “the idle tales” are the words that deviate man mentally, doctrinally, legitimately, etc... Hence, every thing that is defined as Batil or misleading from Allah’s path is deemed prohibited.

Singing in Iran is not prohibited

Q: There is a consensus among some critics and some psychologists on some songs such as Fayrouz’s songs that talk about love without arousing the instincts. Such songs affect the listener positively and absolutely relax the nerves, what is the ruling regarding these songs from a religious point of view?

A: I have just answered this question and I did not say that all songs that express love are prohibited. I said that the prohibited songs are that which arouse the instincts. For example, we accept the paternal and maternal expressions as well as the platonic love of man towards a woman that elevates the soul and represent a spiritual and human value and not an instinctive value. Now, when we study the experience that the adolescents live when listening to the common songs, we find that this experience creates a kind of an unconscious and instinctive attraction towards the singer.

Q: Is this also applied on the star actors and some leaders whom some teenagers put their pictures in their bedrooms?

A: The influence of singing on man through arousing the instincts indicates a particular meaning. Hence, the issue is not just a matter of being attracted towards a person, since, singing leaves negative effects on the instinct and lust aspects…etc. And if we leave this issue without control, things will be developed to turn into an immoral social situation like what is happening nowadays all around the world. So, why insisting on arousing the youth's instincts? Islam does not want man to be submitted to the things that are a source of corruption. Allah says in His Holy Quran: {They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit} (2:219). Therefore, everything whose disadvantages are more than its advantages is deemed prohibited. The advantages of the songs which arouse the instincts and destroy the nerves, and even that which glorify the tyrants and the corrupted regimes are certainly more than their advantages.

Q: If the Islamic law (Sharia') was applied in Lebanon, would you prohibit singing?

A: Let us examine the Iranian experience in this respect where singing is not prohibited. There are some songs which are philosophical poems such as, the poems of Al-Fardawsi, Omar El-Khiam, Ikbal and the like. Moreover, the music that elevates the spirit and sublimates it such as the music of Chopin and Mozart is not prohibited. In general, we say that the classical music is not prohibited, as well as the music that soothes the nerves and elevates the soul and contains cultural elements that nourish the soul.

Q: Are there any impermissible musical instruments?

A: No, we do not say that there are impermissible musical instruments. Hence, if the instruments are accompanied with the permissible singing, they are permissible and if they are played with impermissible singing, they are impermissible.

Q: Some youths love songs, but they do not listen to them because they are prohibited; thus, they suffer from doing something against their will. What do you tell them?

A: We tell them that nowadays, we have some musical groups whose songs are broadcasted at “Al-Manar” television. These songs are not prohibited from a religious point of view. Moreover, the Iranian media broadcasts high-class songs and beautiful music. Hence, art, whether singing, acting, drawing or poetry aims at serving man. When art causes man spiritual or emotional behavioral damage, it will be dangerous. Otherwise, why are drugs prohibited all over the world? Are not they prohibited because of their negative effects? Accordingly, everything that has negative effects and whose disadvantages is more than its advantages is considered prohibited.

Q: Do you consider that all the songs which the media broadcasts nowadays have negative effects on the youth?

A: If we want to think about the results, we should think about how to differentiate between the negative effects and the positive effects. For example, if we examine the Western world, we realize that the freedom in these countries has no limits such as the freedom of nudeness. Every Western person does not see any problem in these issues. This is true, hence, according to their culture and traditions this is not prohibited because as to them, the negative attitudes do not constitute any problem in this respect. Nowadays, we can see the encroachment made by boys or girls, this type of encroachment may be practiced from a song here and a song there…

Q: This encroachment may also be practiced through poems since it is not done through singing exclusively…

A: This reality exists and certain people may not live its experience, but, these issues happen in the unreserved countries.

Q: But even in the conservative countries, the phenomenon of encroachment is being spread?

A: If a girl wears the veil (Hijab), this does not mean that her behavior is good. Hence, there is an outer reservation and a behavioral reservation. Not every veiled woman is considered Fatima Al-Zahraa (a.s.) or Virgin Mary (a.s.).

The woman’s voice is not a “Awra” (something that should be veiled having the same ruling as some parts of the body)?

Q: Returning to the issue of singing is the woman’s voice considered a “Awra” (something that should be veiled having the same ruling as some parts of the body). Accordingly, is it impermissible for her to sing in the presence of a man?

A: The woman’s voice is not a “Awra”. Therefore, it is permissible for a woman to sing in the presence of a man in case the song is in conformity of the aforementioned conditions. Thus, the songs should be sublime such as the way we recite the Holy Quran and the songs whose words hold sublime concepts or the songs whose melody does not arouse the instincts.

Q: I know that you do not like to mention details and names, but I would like to ask you a question only to clarify the idea. If the famous Lebanese singer Fayrouz, sings “Bhibbak ya lubnan” (I love you Lebanon), do you consider this song a prohibited one?

A: I am not talking about any song in particular, but I am drawing a general line. Thus, if the meanings elevate the spirit and the mind and do not leave a negative effect, they are not prohibited whether they are sung by a man or by a woman.

Q: Some rigorous scholars consider that what we say is a kind of deviation and a revolution against Islamic concepts?!

A: Some people oppose my opinion. However, I am not only the one who holds this opinion, but there are many religious authorities and pious scholars who consider that the problem of singing lies in the content of the song and not only in the melody.

Edited by Murabit