Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aale Mohammad

Do you listen to music?

Rate this topic

(salam)

i used to think that there was nothing wrong with it so long as i keep up with my prayer, but that isnt the case, music totally brainwashed me and toxicated my mind, ya3ne its amazing i was an addict, 24/7 mp3 on where ever i'd go. but alhamdulillah i stopped now but the lyrics are still stuck in my mind. music can really do bad things to people, what i wnet through wis un-explainable subhanallah!

it just really scares me now, anyways i listen to latmiayat and annasheed now, they calm and relax my mind unlike music!!

ALL MUSIC IS HARAM REGARDLESS OF THE LYRICS OR WHATEVER!

w/salam

Guest THE GUARDIAN OF FAITH

I used to listen to music all the time. I listened to rap, hip-hop, techno, basically all the wild songs. That was 2 years ago though.

Now al hamdullah, my ears are well protected from music.

Ws, Sah

Sallam

I try t stay aay from music...but honestly i cant...

(salam)

ISLAM IS THE RELIGION WHICH DEMANDS TOTAL SUBMISSION TO GOD'S AND THE MESSENGER'S (pbuh) WILL. LISTENING TO MUSIC IS FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM WHICH IS MEANT FOR GATHERINGS OF ENTERTAINMENT.

THERE ARE THREE THINGS THAT ARE ENOUGH TO DESTROY A NATION, ONE MUSIC, TWO LIQUOR AND THREE PROSTITUTION.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE TAKEN ISLAM AS A BUFFET SYSTEM, WHEREIN ONE CAN CHOOSE WHAT ONE LIKES AND LEAVE WHAT HE/SHE DISLIKES.

A TRUE MUSLIM SHOULD TOTALLY AVOID WHATEVER IS PROHIBITED AND CONDEMNED BY GOD.

MAY Allah BLESS YOU AND ALL MUSIC LISTENERS WILL TAUFIQ TO AVOID SUCH SOUL STAINING DEEDS.

THERE ARE MANY BOOKS ON THE DISADVANTAGE AND NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF MUSIC, BUT YOU NEED TO DO SOME SURFING AND FIND YOUR WAY TOWARDS SALVATION.

GOD BLESS ALL SEEKERS OF KNOWLEDGE

It is really bad to see our muslim nation to go astray and leave religion out, if u talk about religion to ppl these dayz, they ditch u. They think its not kool and there's no meaning to it. Can't wait till Imam Mahdi ( a.j. ) comes out and cuts all their heads off !!!!!!! (salam)

Exactly my friend

ALL MUSIC IS HARAM REGARDLESS OF THE LYRICS OR WHATEVER!

(bismillah) (salam)

Unless you are a mujtahid, please do not issue your own fatawas on Islam. Just follow what your marja says and don't try to impose it on other people. Most marja do not declare music categorically haraam. The distinction of lahwi music in fiqh indicates that music in itself is not forbidden.

As far the hadith on music go, you need to remember that back in those times music was something performed in the courtyards of playboys accompanied by alcohol and dancing girls. It becomes a quite different animal when you remove it from a haraam context. Chess used to be considered haraam because it was commonly used for gambling purposes but today no one associates chess with gambling. Same story with music.

I think most people have enough sense to tell haraam music apart from halaal music. Hip-hop, most pop songs, punk rock, and Bollywood stuff are all obviously haraam. But are poetic ghazals haraam too? What about classical music like Mozart? Even alternative rock has a lot of introspective lyrics that are not vulgar or sexual. There are tons of rock groups putting out records in Iran...if music was univocally haraam like some people claim I highly doubt the ulema in Iran would permit it in an Islamic society.

Bottom line is, you need to follow your marja rulings and if he does allow it then its up to you to honestly decide what is lahwi and what isn't.

I listen to music alot. Right now I'm listening to Nathalie Cardone - Hasta La Victoria Siempre.

By the way, why do people on this site seem to think that Hip-Hop is strictly evil music? Listen to Brother Ali, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Common, Pete Rock, and UK acts like Akala and Klashnekoff to see just how Hip-Hop can be used to educate the masses:

The voice of racism preaching the gospel is devilish

A fake church called the prophet Muhammad a terrorist

Forgetting God is not a religion, but a spiritual bond

And Jesus is the most quoted prophet in the Qu'ran

They bombed innocent people, tryin' to murder Saddam

When you gave him those chemical weapons to go to war with Iran

This is the information that they hold back from Peter Jennings

Cause Condoleeza Rice is just a new age Sally Hemmings

I break it down with critical language and spiritual anguish

The Judas I hang with, the guilt of betraying Christ

You murdered and stole his religion, and painting him white

Translated in psychologically tainted philosophy

Conservative political right wing, ideology

Glued together sloppily, the blasphemy of a nation

Got my back to the wall, cause I'm facin' assassination

Guantanamo Bay, federal incarceration

Immortal Technique

In the eight century Muslims conquered

Spain, Portugal and France and controlled it for 700 years

They never mention this in history class

cause o'fays are threatened when you get the real lesson

Ras Kass

You can laugh and criticize Michael Jackson if you wanna

Woody Allen, molested and married his step-daughter

Same press kickin dirt on Michael's name

Show Woody and Soon-Yi at the playoff game, holdin hands

Sit back and just bug, think about that

Would he get that type of dap if his name was Woody Black?

O.J. found innocent by a jury of his peers

And they been f****n' with that n***a' for last five years!

Is it fair, is it equal, is it just, is it right?

Do you do the same s**t when the defendent face is white?

Mos Def

Edited by Dr. Strangelove

I listen to music alot. Right now I'm listening to Nathalie Cardone - Hasta La Victoria Siempre.

By the way, why do people on this site seem to think that Hip-Hop is strictly evil music? Listen to Brother Ali, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Common, Pete Rock, and UK acts like Akala and Klashnekoff to see just how Hip-Hop can be used to educate the masses:

(bismillah) (salam)

99.9% of hip-hop is nothing but glorification of money, drugs, sex, and ego. That's not to say hip-hop can't be used in positive ways but those are the predominant themes in hip-hop today.

In my humble opinion music cant be a bad thing cause it helps us relax or if your working out in the gym it helps you get hyper.

ofcourse there is bad music out there with bad language but its upto each person to choose the correct type, for instance qawali is very good; most qawals praise Allah (SWT) or imams but at the same time some qawals use it to express other subjects eg alchol etc etc

i used 2 lisin 2 music alot, non stop..a m8 told me 2 atleast stop in ramdhan bt den it strted agen :( bt nw, in muharram, alhamdulillah its cum 2 a stop n inshallah will stay lyk tht. other ppl hav also stpped :D mahsllah.. i think music is jus temporary, it has an interest but then tht dissolves leavin a person wonderin wht on earth they were doin lissnin 2 it in d 1st place..n thats when the guilt overcomes a person ..lolz.. w.s

(bismillah) (salam)

Bro. Dr. Strangelove, I said that hip-hop CAN BE used for positive things. Presently, the positive in hip-hop is very miniscule.

Bro. shahsaab, the wine referred to in qawallis may not always mean alcohol. In Sufi poetry, wine was used figureively to mean intoxication with Allah's love. Even Imam Khomeini talked about wine in his poetry but it was of course in the figurative sense.

I don't listen to music, not only because it's haram but also because I think it's just foolish listening to nonsense and calling it "entertainment". I prefer listening to nasheeds and latmeeyas. Basim Karbalai is like 100X better than all those singers. :wub:

I don't listen to music, not only because it's haram but also because I think it's just foolish listening to nonsense and calling it "entertainment". I prefer listening to nasheeds and latmeeyas. Basim Karbalai is like 100X better than all those singers. :wub:

Mozart? Beethoven? Bach? Stravinsky? Vivaldi? Tchaikovsky? Handel? Barber?

(bismillah)

(salam)

There is a hadith from Imam Sadiq (as) saying "Everytime you listen to music, your simply slapping Imam Ali in the face." (as)

Now, I USED to listen music. However, I witnessed how disgusting it could be. Listening to music in reality is simply similiar to sniffing garbage. That's how gross it is, yet we don't see it as this.

Edited by Wise Muslim

Can someone actually state why music is evil and repulsive? Why is it similar to "sniffing garbage"? Why is all music considered the same? Isn't it just audio?

(bismillah)

(salam)

I won't reveal my sins no matter what they relate to. I don't like these topics because of that very thing. As the OP said different scholars teach different things; mine (Sistani, may Allah {swt} be pleased with him) allows classical, as well as anasheed which do not immitate current popular music.

I don't think topics of this sort should be allowed to go on; it's one thing to discuss what your marja' allows, it's another to ask who is committing what sin and why they think it's okay (or not).

Can someone actually state why music is evil and repulsive? Why is it similar to "sniffing garbage"? Why is all music considered the same? Isn't it just audio?

(bismillah) (salam)

If everyone considers that music is just an audio and has no impact to this inner self, than it is okay. But how many of us can do that?

We will hear all kind of musics (involuntarily) in the malls, restaurants, train, buses, taxis, radio, hand phones, offices, bazaar, supermarkets, airports, radio and tv programs.... Basically, we can't run away from it.

So we must have this mechanism on how to stop the musics from entering our inner system.

One way, by accepting it as haram. Our inner self will automatically build a filter that will prevent musics from affecting our inner self. This is the simplest and most effective way to protect the inner self.

But for some people, they already have a good filter. Not matter what type of musics enter their system (physical), it will not enter their inner self.

We live in the world that full of "unwanted stuffs" or some may say "haram stuffs. The modern jahilliyah.

If we can treat musics just as audio (sound) and has no real impact to our inner self and we have self control, then listen to music should not be any problem. But, with slightest doubt that we might be misguided, then avoid it with what ever means, even calling it as haram.

Wallahualam

Layman

There is a hadith from Imam Sadiq (as) saying "Everytime you listen to music, your simply slapping Imam Ali in the face." (as)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Would you please bother to provide a reference? I never heared this before.

However I have stopped listning music since last Mharam. Before that I was adict to it. But alhamdolillah I found a change in myself since I decided to not to listen music any more. I feel myself more fresh and now I am getting maximum out of my brain (as i am a software engineer). Please all give it a try. Listenong music , Just creates alot of load on our mind. Just try once by avoiding it. Instead listen Relegious singns/Manqabat/Qaseedas/Naat etc etc.

If the above hadess posted by bro "Wise Muslim" has a valid refence, I surpried how we should carry on lsitning music even than.

Waslam

Jafery

^ Sis Zeinab... somebody doesn't want me writing this, this is my third try! Sheesh! It got erased twice because the first time I wasn't logged in and the second time it CLAIMED I wasn't logged in... anyway...

This is a bit OT but humorous and I wanted to tell ya... I clicked on "shiarightpath.com" in your links list because I hadn't used PalTalk in some time, and upon opening it up again have not been able to find the ShiaRightPath PalTalk room anymore, and I wanted to see what was up. The website isn't there anymore either.

What IS there is a short list of search terms; I clicked on "Shia," and it gave me a short list of sites. I clicked on "The Shia Homepage" and got a site I've been to before, some time ago. I scrolled down and found a few downloads, including one for a Shi'a prayer software program and one for a Shi'a adhan to go with it, both of which I've been looking for for a LONGGG time!! All I could find before were Sunni ones and one Shi'a one that never worked right.

So, to make a long story longer... Thanks for not updating your links list! Alhamdulillah, lol... :D

Edited by Sister Zaynab

How does music destroy or injure the inner self? We get many stations from Morroco, they are mostly music. If it is forbidden why is there so much music on those stations? Most of the music of my country became highñy developed during its 800 years of Muslim rule by musicians and teachers from Iran and Syria. How could that be bad? Oum Kalzum is one of the most famous people outside of Muslim nations. Why is she bad? I am quite confused on this issue.

It's not that confusing. Our Prophet (pbuh) said it's bad, and told us not to listen to it. And the Qur'an tells us to listen to our Prophet (pbuh). See? Simple! :D

Edited by Sister Zaynab

It's not that confusing. Our Prophet (pbuh) said it's bad, and told us not to listen to it. And the Qur'an tells us to listen to our Prophet (pbuh). See? Simple! :D

Yes but there nust be a reason he said that. So it still doesn't answer the questions. There must be causes and reasons.