Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Talib Ansar

Iran vs. iraq

Rate this topic

I am new here, and had a question.

Like my name, Abu Talib, I am not Muslim, but I am studying Islam and the Middle East.  My favorite subject is Shi'ism.

I would like to know what the largest differences were between Iraqi Shi'ites and Iranian Shi'ites?

Did any potential religious differences spur on the Iran-Iraq war?

Hi..

There is no different in school of thought between the 2 what so ever.  Infact, we share alot of the scholars.  alot of the Irani scholars graduate from Iraqi religious schools (hawza) and vise-a-versa for Iraqi scholars.

During the war, there was alot of Shia Iraqi soldiers (who were forced to fight Iran) who were taken by the Irani government as POW.  Majority of them refused to fight and chose to surrender to the Iranians where they know they'd be better off.  They were released into Iran as normal civilians a few years later.

There are some little cultural differences between Iranies and Iraqies, but its almost never religious.

Wa salam

Dear Brother Abu Talib,

I believe my bretheren have answered your query concerning Shias of Iran and Iraq.

I would like to mention that Abu Talib A.S.  was indeed a muslim.

1. It is a historical fact Abu Talib conducted the marriage

ceremony of  Prophet Muhammad SAW  to Khadeejah A.S.

A question arises, how is it possible that a non muslim can conduct the marriage of a Muslim, and a Prophet at that? Lets say as an example in this day and age is it possible that a Hindu a polytheist can conduct a marriage of lets say a Muslim or a  Christian or even a Jew who all profess Monotheism ?

2. If Abu Talib A .S.  was not a Muslim , why would he risk life,limb and reputation especially when he was the Head of the confederation of tribes in Makkah known as the Quaraish?

3. Why did the Prophet SAW. mourn the death of Abu Talib A.S. ? The Prophet SAW. NEVER mourned the deaths Abu Lahab and Abu Jahal who were also his Paternal Uncles died as pagans and were bitter enemies of the Prophet SAW. during his lifetime.

I hope this information will be useful in your studies, further information can be had from books like :

THE RIGHT PATH

PESHAWAR NIGHTS

and many others.

Shahid Abbas Bokhari.

Lover of the AHUL BAYT A.S.

Greetings new comer,

Adding to what the other brothers and sisters said, there is a great similarity between Iraqis and Iranians including being related.  Although I am Iranian, my great grandfather, may Allah bless his soul, is buried in Karbala, Iraq.I've met an Iraqi who told me that he has family who are Iranian. Many Shia Iraqis migrated from Iran to Iraq (and vice versa) . Even some Iraqi shias commemorate the Iranian new year (nowrooz).

At the end being Iraqi or Iranian does not matter; only non-religious people adhere to Persian and Arab nationalism.

Alhamdullilah, we are Muslim!

Guest socrates

Salam,

For a [b:post_uid0]religious[/b:post_uid0] Shia with the correct beliefs of the Ahlul Bayt (as) school, there is no difference related to ethnicity (both Iraq and Iran are full of different ethnical groups anyhow, so it would be quite hard to determine it).

Abu Talib Ansar,

There are Iraqi, Iranian and many other nationalities here. [b:post_uid0]Why is your favorite subject Shi'ism?[/b:post_uid0]

I don't really know.  Something about Shi'ism intrigued me.  It could very well be the mysticism of the faith, or the contributions to philosophy.  

I also am intrigued by the roles of the Imams and the relationship of the Imams to Ali to Muhammad.  I have seen some use the acronym pbuh for "peace be upon him" used in reference to the above.  I do not know what is appropriate, so please do not take any lack as disrespect.

The books I have read so far are "The Mantle of the Prophet,"  "The History of Shi'ism" and I just picked up "The Shi'is of Iraq" but I have not read it yet.

Salaam o 3alykum to all,

As many have said, the Iraqis and Iranis have very similar cultural aspects, howevers there still is a certain "dis-unity" amongst both. For example, I witnessed a brother being "kicked" out of an Iraqi resturant for being from Iran. There is even dis-unity amongst arabs, and furthermore there is even dis-unity amongs the whole muslim world. InshaAllah we shall all be united as one...where on the world map you wont see an Iraq, Iran, Saudia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Yemen etc.. but a united so called country...that way no one can say they are better than the other.

Shukran

Khuda Hafiz