Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

why shia azaan is longer then sunnis

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

A friend of mine " A sunni" has asked me that why shia people add about Hazrat Ali A.S in Azaan. If they add then what are the reasons?? what is the proof that it was done in Holy Prophet's Era? Plz give me some proof so i can talk with him regarding this issue? Also give me reference if possible.

• Advanced Member
A friend of mine " A sunni" has asked me that why shia people add about Hazrat Ali A.S in Azaan. If they add then what are the reasons?? what is the proof that it was done in Holy Prophet's Era? Plz give me some proof so i can talk with him regarding this issue? Also give me reference if possible.

i have no refrences or anything but i could tell u why we do it! - we do it because at 1 time some1 in the ithaan said it and all the people were angry and went to the prophet saying look wot was added to the izan! - the prophet then said that u have heard good (khair) so that prooves that it is mustahab to say!

u could alos ask why umar or abu bakr put in al salatu khairun min al nawm (prayer is better than sleep) in the salat al fajur or subuh (morning prayers).

• Advanced Member

we should not debate "Aliyyun waliullah" in azaan coz its strictly not a part of the azaan according to most of our scholars. Though, Hayya ala khayril amal is and why the sunnis do not recite it is questioned. Hayya ala khayril amal was added to the azaan on the day of Ghadeer and Umar removed it to replace it with Assalat u khayrum minna nawm so that ppl would forget the day of Ghadeer.

Indeed Allah knows best

Sayyid Londoni

(Islamic Student)

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

why shia people add about Hazrat Ali A.S in Azaan

there is a difference in the Azan (Call to Prayer) among the Shia

and the Sunnis. The Shia add one line to the Azan, which they consider to

be a MANDATORY component of the Azan. This line, repeated twice, is: "Haya

`ala Khair al-'amal -- Rise Up For The Best of Works." It comes right

after the line: "Haya `ala al-Falah -- Rise Up For Salvation." Another

addition by the Shia, which is NOT a mandatory part of the Azan, is the

affirmation: "Ash-hadoo Ana Ali-yan Walayo Allah -- I witness that Ali is

the Vicegerent of Allah." This line is repeated twice and follows the line:

"Ash-hadoo Ana Muhamadan Rasool Allah -- I witness that Muhamad is the

Messenger of Allah." As I mentioned, the latter line is NOT considered

mandatory, and ANY Shii individual that argues otherwise, has invalidated

the Azan. The origin of this assertion and addition goes back to the days

of the Ummayads and the political environment during those days. The

Ummayads attempted wholeheartedly to eliminate the memory of al-Imam Ali

(as) from among his (as) followers. This effort reached astronomical

proportions, that during and after the days of Muawiyah's ruling, it became

customary to curse al-Imam Ali (as) whenever his (as) name was mentioned

(May Allah (SWT) forgive us). As such, the followers of al-Imam Ali (as)

chose to oppose the corrupt Ummayad government, and assert that Ali (as)

was truly the Vicegerent of Allah (SWT). That served as both an annoyment

to the authorities, and a reminder to the posterity that al- Imam Ali (as)

was indeed the Agent and Vicegerent of Allah (SWT).

(salam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

On the day of Ghadeer, the prophet (saw) said, "Who ever I was a moulay, this Ali is his moulay." After the prophet's (saw) last hij, he ordered Amar bin Yasser (ra) to give Azan.

Shia's say that the prophet (saw) asked AMr bin Yasser to put Ali as waleya Allah. THe sunni's sources say that Amr bin Yasser (ra) added Imam Ali (as) in the azaan. A fact to notice is, if someone was haram that was done infront of the prophet (saw), it is obligatory that the prophet (saw) say it is wrong. From the acts of the prophet (saw) and not saying nothing, that means he had no problem in Imam Ali (as) in the Azaan.

Read in the quran, where it says, "Wa fee shehadatohoum Qaeoumoon." It says in the quran, in there proclaimntations are steadfast. In arabic "shehadatohoum" mean more than two shehada's.

salm

Abbas

• Advanced Member

Salaams

If you go up to them and tell him that Aliyyun Waliullah is not Wajib and we do it just for blessings.. he is going to argur back and say it is Biddah..

I have been down that road.. leads no where..

If you can make him understand Ghadeer , i believe he will not trouble you with all these other questions :)

Farsh-e-Aza

• Advanced Member

Mentioning Imam Ali is not part of Athan according to alot of scholars. They say that the Athan is invalid if one says it with the intention that it is wajib (obligatory).

Hence Shias say it as a mustahab (recommended) action.

7aya 3ala Khayril 3amal "hurry to good deeds", was always part of the Athan, but the Sunnis removed it because they thought it might discourage people from Jihad (probably one of Omars decisions)

The Sunnis have a bid3a which MOST of their scholars and all their mathahib say is obligatory in the Sub7 prayer. (Salaatu khairan min al nawm- prayer is better than sleep)

that originates when Omar missed (or nearly missed prayer) cos he was asleep, so he thought to himself "ah! prayer is better than sleep :) " and it became part of their athan.

Basically, the Shia athan is the original athan with some people saying something they feel is musta7ab (but not part of the athan)

(there exist some who think it is obligatory, but this view is not supported by the major maraje3 who state what is part/not part of the athan very clearly in their rule books")

the Sunnis use a version of the Athan that was edited by Omar, who added the sleep line as obligatory, and removed the 7aya 3ala khayril 3amal. Hence their athan is not the original athan at the time of the prophet.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

927. Adhan consists of the following 18 sentences:

Allahu Akbar - four times

(Allah is greater than any description)

Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lah - two times

(I testify that there is no god but Allah)

Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasu lul lah - two times

(I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger)

Hayya'alas Salah - two times

(Hasten to prayers)

Hayya'alal Falah - two times

(Hasten to deliverance)

Hayya'ala Khayril 'Amal - two times

(Hasten to the best act)

Allahu Akbar - two times

(Allah is greater than any description)

La ilaha illal lah - two times

(There is no god but Allah)

As regard to Iqamah, it consists of 17 sentences. In Iqamah, Allahu Akbar is reduced in the beginning to twice, and at the end, La ilaha illal lah to once, and after Hayya 'ala Khayril 'Amal, Qadqa matis Salah (i.e. the prayers has certainly been established) must be added two times.

928. Ash hadu anna Amiral Mu'minina 'Aliyyan Waliyyullah ( I testify that the Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali (as) is the vicegerent of Allah) is not a part of either Adhan or Iqamah. But it is preferable that it is pronounced after Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulul lah with the niyyat of Qurbat.

www.najaf.org

Islamic Law under Adhan and Iqamah .

Plus, Prayers start after the Niyah(Intention).

WS.

• Advanced Member

Read in the quran, where it says, "Wa fee shehadatohoum Qaeoumoon." It says in the quran, in there proclaimntations are steadfast. In arabic "shehadatohoum" mean more than two shehada's.

Yours is the only daleel that is different from all those who have written on azaan and seem to be the only one who has contended that it should be read with neeyat of wajib based on quran.

Should it be or not.

akhbari

• Advanced Member

To all the Shiaas...Have you lost your minds or have the scholars just sold out to compromise with sunnis? Of course Amir Ul Momineen has to be mentioned in Azhan....For Shiaas Kalma/Shahada is not correct without Imam Ali's(A.S.) name added to it so how can The Azhan be complete without it...There is NO Islam without him...

• Advanced Member
To all the Shiaas...Have you lost your minds or have the scholars just sold out to compromise with sunnis?  Of course Amir Ul Momineen has to be mentioned in Azhan....For Shiaas Kalma/Shahada is not correct without Imam Ali's(A.S.) name added to it so how can The Azhan be complete without it...There is NO Islam without him...

Azadhar you got a cheek - You being a hindu are trying to teach the Shia their religion! It's advisable for you to accept Shiaism completely and reject your hinduism, the two don't mix. ( Being a Sunni, I rather see you as a Shia than a Hindu.)

Guidance is from Allah (swt)

• Advanced Member
Azadhar you got a cheek - You being a hindu are trying to teach the Shia their religion! It's advisable for you to accept Shiaism completely and reject your hinduism, the two don't mix. ( Being a Sunni, I rather see you as a Shia than a Hindu.)

Guidance is from Allah (swt)

i kind of agree...

(bismillah)

(salam)

akhbari said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yours is the only daleel that is different from all those who have written on azaan and seem to be the only one who has contended that it should be read with neeyat of wajib based on quran.

Should it be or not.

akhbari

It also says in the quran, "Whatever the Prophet gave you take, and whatever he ended then it is ended."

Shia's scholars say, that the prophet (saw) told Amr bin Yasser to put it in the Azaan. The sunni's say, Amr bin Yasser put it mustahb in the azaan, but, the prophet (saw) never denounced the addition in the azaan.

Salm

Abbas

• Advanced Member

salam..

Shia's scholars say, that the prophet (saw) told Amr bin Yasser to put it in the Azaan. The sunni's say, Amr bin Yasser put it mustahb in the azaan, but, the prophet (saw) never denounced the addition in the azaan.

Can som1 plz give the reference about the same ?

salam.

• 10 years later...

I d0nt kn0w y people here are blaming hazrat umar r.a for adding words in azan .. U call it bi'dah but umar r.a did it according to the order of prophet saww. There are m0re than two hadiths in books which clearly shows that umar r.a never ever invented a bidah. Whatever he did, was according to prophet's sunnah. For m0re information .. wwww.islamhelpline.com