22 replies to this topic

#1 abzi

abzi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

(bismillah)

I recently heard from somewhere that you only have until imsak to eat.....but I've never even known about the existence of something called "imsak". I've always been eating until fajr.....

So which is it, are we allowed to eat until only imsak or until fajr? This is a very difficult situation for me because I have been doing this (of course out of ignorance) for some 5 years.

#2 Houda87

Houda87

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajioon

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

hey again i believe that a person is allowed to eat until imsak this is usually 10 15 minutes before fajr. this is what i know. if i am wrong some1 can correct me plz.

#3 Shia 4 Lyfe

Shia 4 Lyfe
  • Advanced Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:14 PM

ya imsak is the time you stop eating i.e. begin your fast. the imsak is usually 5 mins or so before fajr time. i dont know the significane really, but i guess its better to steer on the safe side now that u noe.

#4 roah_fatima

roah_fatima

ⓡⓞⓐⓗ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Religion:Believe in God & his Prophet - but everything else is mostly made up!
  • Interests:Music, Books, Religion, Playing Piano, Shopping, Movies and laughter is the best medicine.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:07 AM

hey again i believe that a person is allowed to eat until imsak this is usually 10 15 minutes before fajr. this is what i know. if i am wrong some1 can correct me plz.

yea ^_^
last year it was around 20mins.......dunno.... :unsure:

#5 Houda87

Houda87

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajioon

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

yea ^_^
last year it was around 20mins.......dunno.... :unsure:

yea same thing arund 10 15 20 25 30 minutes :P there is an actual paper with the timing of imsak try to get it from your jami3 or someplace. (salam)

#6 abzi

abzi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

OK I gained more information....

apparantly you're allowed to eat until fajr but it's recommended that you stop at imsak because the actual moment of the rising of the sun is not 100% certain, and before imsak you're definitely safe, while that period between imsak and fajr, you are on the border, although it is allowed to eat then.

can anyone else confirm this?

#7 Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah Khanam - ãåÏíÉ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

Salaam.
A Fasting Muslim is allowed to eat between the hours of Maghrib and Fajr, Imsak is several minutes (exact amount varies but is between 5 to 20 minutes usually) before Fajr, this is the time advised to start the Fast to be cautious. To stop consuming at Imsak is optional but preferred especially if one wants to be sure about their Ebaadah.
I personally stop eating and drinking at Imsak, then till Fajr I have those several minutes to brush my teeth and start preparing for Salaah. Then should any water be accidently swallowed or I have any doubts then atleast it is before Fajr itself.

Edited by Mahdiyah, 27 September 2006 - 04:20 PM.

#8 abzi

abzi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:43 PM

Salaam.
A Fasting Muslim is allowed to eat between the hours of Maghrib and Fajr, Imsak is several minutes (exact amount varies but is between 5 to 20 minutes usually) before Fajr, this is the time advised to start the Fast to be cautious. To stop consuming at Imsak is optional but preferred especially if one wants to be sure about their Ebaadah.
I personally stop eating and drinking at Imsak, then till Fajr I have those several minutes to brush my teeth and start preparing for Salaah. Then should any water be accidently swallowed or I have any doubts then atleast it is before Fajr itself.

(salam)

Thank you very much for your reply and for clearing it up.

Edited by abzi, 27 September 2006 - 10:43 PM.

#9 sara85

sara85

pretty soul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

but how owuld u know when is imsak and wat is the itme for imsak....those calenders from imam bargahs i have it says tulou-e-aftab and tulou-e-fajr now which one is imsak there and it has momre then 40 mins difference between......help someone

#10 hassan123

hassan123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

but how owuld u know when is imsak and wat is the itme for imsak....those calenders from imam bargahs i have it says tulou-e-aftab and tulou-e-fajr now which one is imsak there and it has momre then 40 mins difference between......help someone

'tuluo e aftab' is sunrise. However the time for fajr is at dawn { the first light of the day} a.k.a 'tulou-e-fajr'. time of imsak is basically , like everone said, a precaution of 10-20 mins. So just stop eating atleast 10 mins before the time given for 'tulou-e-fajr'.

Edited by hassan123, 03 October 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#11 AnonyMuslima

AnonyMuslima

A'uuzhu billahi mina Shaytan-a rajeem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

(bismillah) (salam)

DH and I always stop 20 minutes before Fajr and start 20 minutes after Maghrib, just to be sure

#12 sfj786

sfj786
  • Advanced Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

(bismillah) (salam)

DH and I always stop 20 minutes before Fajr and start 20 minutes after Maghrib, just to be sure

salaams

twenty minutes is a bit much, sister. imsak is roughly defined around 10 minutes before fajr and maghrib is 20 min after sunset.

waiting about two minutes after maghrib is ok, but still not necessary. the time of fazilat for reading maghrib is reading it ON time so it would be better to not delay it for so long. a good way to pass a few minutes would be to recite the adhaan and iqamat.

Edited by sfj786, 09 October 2006 - 11:38 PM.

#13 AnonyMuslima

AnonyMuslima

A'uuzhu billahi mina Shaytan-a rajeem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

Well, as several others mentioned, they go by 20 minutes also. I didn't say we don't pray on time, I only said we wait to eat, just to be sure (for instance, it isn't DARK at Maghrib). We only wait a few minutes for prayer.

#14 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

Alhamdulilah ala niamat al Islam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts
  • Interests:Islam, politics, history, soccer, philosophy, law

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

(salam)
If anyone has a Ramadan timetable for Sydney, which has the imsak times on it, can they please post it. I've just got the Imam Hassan (as) centre one, but that doesn't have imsak on it. Thanks

wasalaam

#15 SISTA

SISTA

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:17 AM

(salam)
If anyone has a Ramadan timetable for Sydney, which has the imsak times on it, can they please post it. I've just got the Imam Hassan (as) centre one, but that doesn't have imsak on it. Thanks

wasalaam

(salam)

According to the Al-Zahra Islamic Centre Timetable there is a 15 min difference between imsak and Fajr.

So for tomorrow, 11/10/06 imsak will be at 3:48am and fajr will be at 4:03am, inshallah.

And this is based on Sydney timing.

#16 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

Alhamdulilah ala niamat al Islam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts
  • Interests:Islam, politics, history, soccer, philosophy, law

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:19 AM

^thanks sis :)

#17 shiasoldier786

shiasoldier786

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

So Imsak is a just a recommended time right? And if you eat after that but before the actual Fajr time, your fast is still valid?

#18 Shabbar-E-Shabbir

Shabbar-E-Shabbir

Samawate Wal Ardh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

So Imsak is a just a recommended time right? And if you eat after that but before the actual Fajr time, your fast is still valid?

Im not in a position to answer, but thats what it seems like from the above posts^
but its best to avoid eating in the imsaak time

#19 Yasoob Al Deen

Yasoob Al Deen

Terminated

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes. As pointed out above, it's about 10 minutes before the calculated time for Fajr, because the calculated time for Fajr may not be 100%.

Sistani says:
1583. If while eating and drinking, a person realises that it is Fajr, he should throw the food out of his mouth, and if he swallows it intentionally, his fast is void, and according to the rules which will be mentioned later, it also becomes obligatory on him to give Kaffarah.
(http://www.al-islam....ting1.html#1582)

Peace.

#20 haiderali

haiderali
  • Advanced Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Go to praytime.info to get the timetable for your area

#21 rachard1583

rachard1583
  • Basic Members
  • 10 posts
  • Religion:Hinu

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

Some people eat till Fajr, some till Imsak and i believe someone posted saying there was an actual 'sahoor end' time.

hajj packages

#22 wow

wow
  • Basic Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hey. I live in abroad this year and just found http://praytime.info I just found that there are times for Imsak and time for Fajr. Locate your city and you get the appropriate time in that website. For caution as it is written consider +3 for time.

#23 ahlulbaytfollower

ahlulbaytfollower

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hey. I live in abroad this year and just found http://praytime.info I just found that there are times for Imsak and time for Fajr. Locate your city and you get the appropriate time in that website. For caution as it is written consider +3 for time.

This is AWESOME. This is exactly what i have been looking for. Thanks you so much.

May all you hajaat be kabool.

AhlulBaytFollower

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users