Ali

Learn how to do wutho!

Hameedeh

Before wudu, you need to make the intention (niyyat) of Qorbat (nearness to Allah) and to know the purpose for which the wudu is taken, i.e,: I am performing ablution (wudu) to get clean, to get closer to Allah for a wajib (obligatory) prayer.

Message added by Hameedeh

Rate this topic

Please tell me people don't actually believe this. :blink:

This sounds like a Sunni, or even a Salafi ruling.

I heard the Ayatollah Milani speaking, at a Shia gathering, and he explained that this is one of the differences of interpretation. Shias take the Quranic statement "having contact with a woman" to mean physical relations between husband and wife. Many Sunni jurists take it to mean touching any woman at all.

There was also a fuss once, when Khatami was president of iran, and he was walking to a podium with an iranian woman politician. His robe brushed against her. Then he led prayers. Some commentators in the Arab world spoke against this - saying he should have performed wudoo or even ghusl, but in iran, no one thought so at all.

This sounds like a Sunni, or even a Salafi ruling...

Salaam Alaykum

The Hanafis, Malikis, and Hanbalis take the verse to mean sex while the Shafi'is take the verse to mean literal touching. So the Malikis and the Hanbalis and the Hanafis say that it is alright to touch a Mahram and/or a non-Mahram ACCIDENTLY and your Wudu will be valid. Sex, however, would make your Wudu void. The Shafi'is see it that touching a non-Mahram member of the opposite sex in any way invalidates the Wudu.

lol, wat do u meen not a nice thing to say. u mean that i love sunni rulings?? hehe, who doesn't.

"Sheikh im in Sydney, there's millions of halal restaurants, butchers around, and ppl keep offering me pig sandwich. what shud i do?" asks Talha.

Sheikh replies with a sympathetic tone, "just say bismillah and enjoy the pig. but make sure u dont recite bismillah when u recite faatiha"

"oh thanx sheikh! where'd u pull that cracked fatwa from?"

"oh its sunna!"

pfft!

ayways, i think hanafis hav the most pride.

I seriously doubt any sunni would say that it's OK to eat pig meat. Some people may not understand this as a joke, and these types of comments are not helpful so please cut them out.

As for hinna, you stated:

The washing of the arms is little different for boys and girls.

For boys: The water is poured above the back part of the elbow.

For girls: The water is poured above the front part of the elbow

I really don't see any difference between this as the forearm is washed fully whether you start at the front or back. Where did you find the difference noted?

I once saw a program on telly - not sure if I remember it correctly - that showed a sunni girl in morocco doing wudhu where she got some water in her cupped hand and paddled it back onto her forearm on the same arm and wiped it up and down with her other hand (?). Maybe it was just her - don't know.

Salam, I have read many of the links posted here and have found most useful Wudhu but i do have a few questions that i cant seem to be able to find the answer to at the moment....

1. After wiping the head, remaining moisture on your hand should be used to wipe your feet (correct?) and you should not use fresh water to wet your hand and then wipe your feet (after wiping your head)

and on http://www.al-islam.org/laws/wudhu.html it says.....

263. If wetness disappears in the palm, it cannot be made wet with fresh water. In that situation, the person performing Wudhu should obtain moisture from his beard. If he obtains moisture from any part other than the beard, it would be improper, and is a matter of Ishkal.

264. * If the wetness of palm is just enough for wiping the head, then as an obligatory precaution, one should wipe the head first, and for the wiping of feet, the wetness should be obtained from the beard.

What if you dont have a beard?? ie your a girl?? do you start again from the beginning?

2. and then these two points made me confused...

*The eighth condition is that one should perform Wudhu with the niyyat of Qurbat i.e. to obey the orders of Allah. If, a person performs Wudhu, for the purpose of cooling himself or for some other purpose, the Wudhu would be void.

288. It is not necessary that one should utter the niyyat of Wudhu in words, or think about it in his mind. It is sufficient that all the acts relating to Wudhu are performed in compliance with the order of Almighty Allah.

...I understand that Wudhu should be performed with the "niyyat of Qurbat" but then i feel the second point contradicts this?

if some one could clarify i would be very grateful

Until then, im trawling the net for answers!

Thank you!

1."Washing" does the water have to go over your skin guided by your hand? or do you use your hand to wipe your arm at the same time as holding under running water?

yes. get water from tap, pour it on the top part of the arm (as many times as needed) then use hand from opposite arm to wipe from top to bottom. the hand moves water to all parts.

264. * If the wetness of palm is just enough for wiping the head, then as an obligatory precaution, one should wipe the head first, and for the wiping of feet, the wetness should be obtained from the beard.

What if you dont have a beard?? ie your a girl?? do you start again from the beginning?

Sister, unless its real hot or theres lack of water, you wont even get to this situation, Inshallah. Use enough water during other washings so that your hands have enough water for the head and feet. Remeber to close tap time so u dont waste water.

3. and then these two points made me confused...

*The eighth condition is that one should perform Wudhu with the niyyat of Qurbat i.e. to obey the orders of Allah. If, a person performs Wudhu, for the purpose of cooling himself or for some other purpose, the Wudhu would be void.

We have do all ibadat with niyyat of pleasing Allah. For example we dont fast with intention to loose wieght! so i guess its saying the same thing here but with wudhoo!

288. It is not necessary that one should utter the niyyat of Wudhu in words, or think about it in his mind. It is sufficient that all the acts relating to Wudhu are performed in compliance with the order of Almighty Allah.

Niyyat for wudhoo and namaz that are wajib can be said 3 ways

1)verbally

2)mentally

3) with the heart

I prefer 2. So when i get to the sink, i stand for a few seconds, say the niyyat in my head e.g. i am doing wudhoo for namaz and ibadat wajib qurabatan illallah (in obeidience to Allah the Almighty). Then i turn on the tap and start.

hope its cleared it up a bit.

Assalamualaykum,

1."Washing" does the water have to go over your skin guided by your hand? or do you use your hand to wipe your arm at the same time as holding under running water?

yes. get water from tap, pour it on the top part of the arm (as many times as needed) then use hand from opposite arm to wipe from top to bottom. the hand moves water to all parts.

Sister, unless its real hot or theres lack of water, you wont even get to this situation, Inshallah. Use enough water during other washings so that your hands have enough water for the head and feet. Remeber to close tap time so u dont waste water.

3. and then these two points made me confused...

We have do all ibadat with niyyat of pleasing Allah. For example we dont fast with intention to loose wieght! so i guess its saying the same thing here but with wudhoo!

Niyyat for wudhoo and namaz that are wajib can be said 3 ways

1)verbally

2)mentally

3) with the heart

I prefer 2. So when i get to the sink, i stand for a few seconds, say the niyyat in my head e.g. i am doing wudhoo for namaz and ibadat wajib qurabatan illallah (in obeidience to Allah the Almighty). Then i turn on the tap and start.

hope its cleared it up a bit.

^ Wudhu is the ritual ablution Muslims perform before prayer. It consists of a number of steps meant to purify the Muslim and make him or her eligible for prayer. Namaz is another word for Salah, or prayer.

Hi im a new revert to Islam,i embrace the shia zone,i would like to follow Ayatollah Khameini's fiqh do you know where can i find it in English??

Hi im a new revert to Islam,i embrace the shia zone,i would like to follow Ayatollah Khamenei's fiqh do you know where can i find it in English??

is there anything you must say while performing wuzu? I heard you say something when you wash your arms but idk. Please help bros & sis's

While washing the face, it is desirable to say: Alla humma bayyiz wajhi yawma taswaddufihil wujuh wala tusawwid waj hi yawma tabyazzul wujuh (O Lord! Make my face bright on the Day when the faces will turn dark. Do not darken my face on the day when the faces are bright).

While pouring water over the right elbow, it is Mustahab (desirable) to say: Alla humma a'tini kitabi bi yamini wal khulda fil jinani bi yasari was hasibni hisaban yasira (O Lord! Give my book of deeds in my right hand, and a permanent stay in Paradise on my left, and make my reckoning an easy one).

While pouring water over the left elbow, it is Mustahab to say: Alla humma la tutini kitabi bishimali wala min wara'I zahri wala taj alha maghlu latan ila unuqi wa a'uzu bika min muqat ta'atin niran (O Lord! Do not give my book of deeds in my left hand, nor from behind my back, nor chain it to my neck. I seek refuge in You from the Hell-fire).

While performing the wiping of the head, it is Mustahab to say: Alla humma ghashshini bi rahmatika wa barakatika wa 'afwika (O Lord! Cover me with Your Mercy, Blessings and Forgiveness).

While performing the wiping of the feet, one should say: Alla humma thabbitni alas sirati yawma tazillu fihil aqdam. Waj'al sa'yi fi ma yurzika 'anni (O Lord! Keep me firm on the Bridge (to Paradise) on the Day when the feet will slip, and help me in my efforts to do things which will please You).

http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=extra&eid=3&aid=40

Ablution: Its Effects and Secrets

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/ablution-its-effects-and-secrets-mohammad-ali-shomali

Shia Way to Perform Wudhu (Ablution) [Mod Note: The first 3 minutes of the video shows how to take wudu.]

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Mod Note was added.

2 things:

One does not need to wipe their hair in an up-down direction, you can wipe upwards if you want.

You can wash your face/arms more than two times and as much as you like. However before exceeding two washes, you must have the intention that every wash is still part of the second wash.

السلام علیکم 

I read An interesting view regarding nyat of wudu. 

If you perform wudu with the nya of performing a wajib salat then wudu will become invalid after you complete the salat. Also there is a timing issue in this case, wudu cant be performed well before salat time, otherwise it will become invalid. 

Therefore its better to do wudu with the nya of qurbatan illallah and you can perform everything, salat, recite quran etc

I have sent the question to ayatullah Makarem Shirazi to confirm. Lets see.