Learn how to do wutho!

56 replies to this topic

#1 Ali

Ali

Chief

• Admins
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 03:00 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid13]One of the most important conditions of accepted prayer is purifying before Salat, and they are three: Wodho, Ghosle, and Tayamum. And no prayer should be accepted without a correct Wodho, so it is important for you to learn how to do it, and ask those who know how to teach you things you are not sure about.

Wodu is also used in other Islamic worships for example, before reading Quran, and other Mustahab, (good but not required) prayers.

The Causes of wodho and the things that Annul it.
Wodho is needed to be performed before one of these Wajebats (requirements), or Mobtelat (cancellation) of Wodho:

1. After passing urine and faeces.
2. Passing intestinal or stomach gas.
3. Sleeping in such a way that the ears do not hear and the eyes do not see,
4. Entering any state of loss of conscience.

These are some of the most important ones, you have to do more research your self depending your gender.

How to do the Wodho
First you have to make the intention of Qorbat and to intend for what purpose the wodho is taken, (is to say I intend performing the wodho to get closer to Allah for an obligated prayer).

Second to wash the face from up to down, in length from the place where the hair of the head normally begins growing to under the chin, and in width the width between the tips of the thumb and the middle finger of ones open hand,... and to wash the skin under the beard, the eyebrows and the mustache is not obligated, instead, it is only required to wash their surfaces, with the condition that the hair is full on that place and, if not, then the amount of skin which is visible must be washed.

(fig 1) (fig 2)

Third to wash the arms. First the right arm must be washed, from the elbow to the fingertips, and then the left arm in the same way.

(fig 3) (fig 4)

Fourth to wipe the top to the head above the forehead with the right hand., even through it is upon the hair, with the condition that the hair that is wiped is growing from the area directly under it, with the palm that is still wet (from washing the left arm),.. and it is referable that three fingers are placed on the head and brought forward the length of one finger.

(fig 5)

Fifth to wipe the top of the feet from the points of the toes to the rise of the foot and the ehtiyat is to wipe them to the joints,... and to wipe the foot with three fingers, and it is better to wipe them all across the feet, and wipe the right foot with the right hand and the left foot with the left hand.

(fig 6) (fig 7)

Some issues regarding Wodho
1. In Washing the face and arms, water must flow over them, even if with the help of the hand, but rinsing is not enough. The first time is wajeb and the second time is mustahab and the third time is Haram, (forbidden) and the head and feet must be only wiped once.

2. Washing is different from wiping in that in wiping the hand should be only wet and no extra water is needed as in washing.

3. You have to be sure that the water you use is 100% is pure water, and is not ghasby, usurpation.

4. Reminder that there are many more details to do the wodho, this is only to teach the basic and start the broader research

Source: http://www.welcome.to/emari

#2 123

• Advanced Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:48 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Assalamu Aleykum
Do Sunnis perform wudhu differently?

Wa assalam

#3 Ali

Ali

Chief

• Admins
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:28 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Salam Alaikum..

Yes there is a different with wiping the hair, "washing" thew hands and the feet.

Also other minor things.

#4 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,477 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:59 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Why is there washing/rubbing in wudu'

Someone asked Imam Redha(as)"Why has Allah swt made it obligatory to wash the face and the hands, appointed the rubbing to the head and the feet, and has not made that full washing or full rubbing?"

Imam Redha(as)said: "For various reasons of which is that the greatest act of worship is ruku'(bow) and sujud (adoration) which one performs through the face and the hands, not through the head and the feet."

"Of which is that the creatures cannot every time bear washing the head and the feat, and that it is difficult for them (to perform that) during cold, travel, illness, and times of the night and the day."

"Washing the face and the hands is easier than washing the head and the feet. He (Allah) has imposed the religious duties according to the least of the healthy people in obedience, and then He has made them (religious duties) include both the strong and the weak."

"Yet of which is that the head and the feet are not every time apparent and manifest like the face and the hands, because of wearing the turban, the sandals, and the like. "

Wudu' in the viewpoint of the ahl al-Bayt, peace be on them, is washing the face, the hands, rubbing the head and the feet. As for the Imam, peace be on him, he has mentioned the reasons for the acts of wudu' as follows:

A. The main parts of the prayer, for which wudu' has been legislated, are ruku' and sujud, which one performs through the face and the hands, so washing is for them, not for other than them.

B. Surely, washing the head and the feet brings about intense difficulty, especially during the days of cold, travel, and illness. So the Legislator is content with rubbing them.

C. The apparent limbs in man's body are the face and the hands apart from other than them, so washing is for them only.

The Imam(obuh) said: "And the reason for wudu' for which the washing of the face and the hands, rubbing of the head and the feet has been (legislated) is because of his standing before Allah, the Great and Almighty, his receiving Him with his apparent limbs, and his meeting
with them the noble scribes."

So washing the face is for sujud and submission, washing the hands for receiving (Allah) with them, to ask (Him), to fear (Him), to devote himself (to Him) with them.

Rubbing is for the head and the feet because they are apparent and uncovered, and he receives with them (Allah) in all his circumstance, and there is (nothing) in them of submission and devotion to (Allah) just as that in the face and the hands.

#5 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,477 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 04 September 2002 - 04:46 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Wudu, Salat/Namaz, Prayers

http://www.ahl-ul-ba...salat/salat.htm

#6 AmericanMuslim

AmericanMuslim
  • Advanced Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 01:55 PM

(bismillah) :Hijabi:

salam alaykum

does anyone have any sites with pictures of the wudhu?

i know it the selafi way but i think thwere is a difference and I am no longer following the selafi way and would luike i gues to start over .

and learn the right way inshallah

mysalama

amanda

#7 lilacfatima

lilacfatima

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts
  • Interests:My hubby and kids, not to mention reading too much.

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:39 AM

salaam alaikum

Here's a site you can read. I found a sight that actually had pictures but I can't find it now. I will keep looking.

http://www.al-islam....laws/wudhu.html

wa salaam

#8 lilacfatima

lilacfatima

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:44 AM

salaam alaikum

Here's the site Bro Ali posted in his first post it has pictures. Not the one I was looking for but I guess it will do.

http://www.welcome.to/emari
Just go to the tab making wudho

wa salaam

Edited by lilacfatima, 11 September 2003 - 11:44 AM.

#9 Guest_Lion_*

Guest_Lion_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2003 - 12:53 PM

(bismillah) :Hijabi:

salam alaykum

does anyone have any sites with pictures of the wudhu?

i know it the selafi way but i think thwere is a difference and I am no longer following the selafi way and would luike i gues to start over .

and learn the right way inshallah

mysalama

amanda

(bismillah)

(salam)

This site Contain with Pics both on "wudhu" (ablution - wash) & on Prayers.

http://www.shia.com/salaat/main.html

http://www.playandle.../Fiqh/index.htm (contains audio files )

wa salam

#10 Ali Mahdi

Ali Mahdi

Labayk Ya Husayn!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,683 posts
  • Religion:Shi'ah Islam
  • Interests:Islam, history, politics, news, cultures & people

Posted 15 September 2003 - 02:51 PM

(salam)
(bismillah)

1. Wash your hands

2. Take water in your right hand, and gargle with it. Do this 3 time.

3. Make your right hand into a little cup, and fill this with water. Put the water up ur nostrils. DON"T INHALE. But just make sure the water goes in. Do this 3 times.

4. Take water in your right hand again. this time wash ur face, from where ur hair starts, to your chin. Go from top to bottom. Do this twice.

5. Take water in you LEFT hand. Wash your RIGHT arm from the elbow, down to the finger tips. Do this twice. Make sure ur arms is wet. One should be enough to wet it, but do it twice.

6. Take water in your RIGHT hand. Was your left arm the same way as above. Do this twice.

7. Turn off the water.

8. Your hands should be wet. Take your finger tips, and rub fromt he back top of your head to the front. (For example, if you had a part in ur hair, you would go from the back of the part, to the front of it.

9. Your hands should still be wet. take the right hand, and wipe the water on your right foot. Go from the toes to the ankles.

10. Do the above,with the left side.

#11 sandy1

sandy1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:32 PM

WHAT ABOUT FOR WOMEN????

#12 faithmuslima

faithmuslima

I7fath Nahjal Khomeini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:29 PM

WHAT ABOUT FOR WOMEN????

For women the process is identical.

#13 kanez-e-Zahra

kanez-e-Zahra

Al-AJAL YA MAWLA YA SAHIB ZAMAN!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:36 PM

Wudu Flash

(salam)

The wudu shown in that link is according to Sunni Madh'hab

-You do not wash your arm from hand to elbow (i.e. upwards)...its the other way round (i.e. downwards...from elbow to hand)

-You do not wash your feet.....you WIPE them.

Edited by kanez-e-Zahra, 09 March 2004 - 09:57 PM.

#14 Changed

Changed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:43 AM

these are two verses of Quran defining the Wudhu (Islamic ablution), one must care that all things mentioned in verses are must to be performed and if you add rest its ok but if any of the mentioned part is skiped yopur wudhu is nullified actually never comleted, sop please take care to cover all fard.

Wa Allahu Alim

[4.43] O you who believe! do not go near prayer when you are Intoxicated until you know (well) what you say, nor when you are under an obligation to perform a bath-- unless (you are) travelling on the road-- until you have washed yourselves; and if you are sick, or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth, then wipe your faces and your hands; surely Allah is Pardoning, Forgiving.

[5.6] O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you are under an obligation to perform a total ablution, then wash (yourselves) and if you are sick or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy, or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands therewith, Allah does not desire to put on you any difficulty, but He wishes to purify you and that He may complete His favor on you, so that you may be grateful.

#15 sandy1

sandy1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 08:03 AM

ok, i was born and bought up in a shia household - but all the shia females i know ie friends family...alll do wudhoo on their arms differently - so i am confused

do u have to wash the front part of the arm , down to the front part of the wrists or jus the bak ie elbow down to fingertips

and i ve always been told that men do wudhoo differently :huh:

#16 hinna

hinna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:15 PM

(salam)

First the right arm must be washed, from
the elbow to the fingertips, and then the left arm in the same way this is for males and females.

#17 sandy1

sandy1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:18 PM

no sis - have a look at those website links...it CLEARLY diff for men and women

scroll up

#18 hinna

hinna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:32 PM

(salam)

Sorry I cant find it which one are you talking about?

#19 hinna

hinna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 05:16 PM

found this it is only a slight differnce.

WASHING THE ARMS

The next Wajib action in Wudhu is washing your arms:

The washing of the arms is from the elbow to the fingertips.

First the right arm is washed with the left hand, then the left arm is washed with the right hand.

This is done once, better twice but no more.

The washing of the arms is little different for boys and girls.

For boys: The water is poured above the back part of the elbow.

For girls: The water is poured above the front part of the elbow

#20 alifaia

alifaia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:33 AM

Wodho is needed to be performed before one of these Wajebats (requirements), or Mobtelat (cancellation) of Wodho:

does this mean burping also???

#21 hinna

hinna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:41 AM

does this mean burping also???

no wodho is not required after burping.

Edited by hinna, 14 March 2004 - 02:59 PM.

#22 alifaia

alifaia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:24 AM

thanks Hinna

#23 lilacfatima

lilacfatima

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:29 PM

3. Touching the skin of the marriageable woman who attained to an age at which she is normally desired;

Please tell me people don't actually believe this. :blink:

#24 lilacfatima

lilacfatima

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:30 AM

Salaam alaikum

I don't know what scholars your talking about but ours don't say this.

And since your so knowledgeable, why don't you explain to me the reasoning behind this. This is like saying my husband does wudho and say he comes to wake me for farj, well I guess he touched me and now has to go do wudho again for prayer? For that matter what if I touch my own arm? It's like saying a woman once she's reached the age of maturity is najas or just plain dirty.

wa salaam

329. Wudhu becomes void on account of the following seven things:

Passing of urine.

Excretion.

Passing wind from the rear.

A sleep, deep enough to restrict sight and hearing. However, if the eyes do not see anything, but the ears can hear, Wudhu does not become void.

Things on account of which a person loses his sensibility, like insanity, intoxication or unconsciousness.

Istihaza

Janabat, and, as a recommended precaution, every state which requires Ghusl.

Edited by lilacfatima, 24 August 2004 - 08:39 AM.

#25 lilacfatima

lilacfatima

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

Salaam alaikum

Yes I have heard of them and we do not follow them. However the piece that you posted did not mention anything concerning non-mahrams. It specifically stated women as if woman are just naturally unclean.

As for the hadith you posted, to me shows that men and women should not touch non-mahrams (unless unavoidable ie you have to see a doctor etc).

How could you possibly become impure from touching someone? Unless of course they have najast on them and you touch them w/ a wet hand or something or they are a kaffir.

Just curious.

wa salaam

Edited by lilacfatima, 24 August 2004 - 02:54 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users