Ali

Learn how to pray!

Rate this topic

It is impossible to explain how to pray in short article like this and it is a big responsibility to teach people something this important. However, the greater responsibility is to introduce the basic and leave the research for the reader. Before praying you have to make a wodho, be sure you are pure and clean, and your dress is appropriate(research more about this part). Ladies should wear a clothe where only their face, hands (to the wrist, not arms) and their feet (to their ankle) is shown, and male are required to cover their body appropriately as well.

Neiat and Ghera'at

Neiat or intention is the most important part of the prayer. By this you say that why you are standing for prayer, which prayer, how many rakats. You can say it loud or in your mind.

For example: I will pray the salat al-Fajr, two ra'akat, gurbatan ela-laah, (to get closer to Allah).

It doesn't matter what language you say it, as long as you have the intention. This is the way you should stand and put your hands during this stage:

(fig 1)

apray1.jpg

Then you do your Takbiratul-Ehram (saying Allah Akbar)and drop your hands, from ears to your laps. Now you entered prayer officially and from this point till salam you can't talk, eat, or move out of prayer's form. Start your prayer by reading Al-Hamd and the sura (fig 2). You have to say everything in Arabic and learning it is very easy just need practice, you can ask some of the Muslims or people who know Arabic to read the right pronunciation for you. In this part you would read two chapters, Reading the chapter al-Hamd is necessary but choosing the sura is up to you, people read the chapter of Ekhlas mostly. The way to stand and read is in the figure 2.

(fig 2)

apray2.jpg

Rakat

Rakat consist of Gera'at (reading of the al-hamd and sura, or Tasbeehat al-Arba'a), one Ruku'e, and two Sajda.

Ruku'e

After you read the Al-hamd and sura you bend by placing your hands on your knees and looking between your legs, this is called Ruku'e. And you say a Thekr (praise to Allah). To make it easy on the beginners you would say Subhan-Allah 3 times or you can refer to the people who pray for their thekr. Fig 3 explains how you have to do this part.

(fig 3)

apray3.jpg

Qunut

Qunut is the part you raise your hand and ask Allah for what you need you can say it in any language or just say a short grace in Arabic. Qunut is performed after the Al-hamd and Sura recitation of the second rakat and it is not required (wajeb) but is Mustahab (recommended). The way to do this part is explained in figure 4.

(fig 4)

apray4.jpg

Sajda

After Ruku'e you stand straight like you started and then go to Sajda. In this part you prostrate to Allah. That means you place seven part of your body touching the ground and say a thekr similar to the one in Ruku'e, your forehead, palms, knees, and your toes. Your forhead should be on a wooden or stone made object (see more details on this part). You did one Sajda, like in fig 5, you sit like your in Tashahood, and do another one after that. 

apray5.jpg(fig 5

Tashahud

After performing your second sajda on the second rakat of every prayer and the last rakat of the particular prayer your performing, you perform Tashahud. In this part you would sit in a way that your left foot is on your right [it is more mustahab to place the upper part of the right foot on the sole of the left foot] and your palms are on your thighs. And you read Tashahud in Arabic (see fig 6). This part is to be performed on every two Rakats and before you finish salat. Example if you are doing the Dohr, Asr, and Esha prayers which are four Rakats you do Tashahood in the end of second Rakat and at the end of fourth Rakat before saying the Salam. And if you praying the Maghreb prayer which is three Rakat's you do Tashahood at the end of second Rakat and the third Rakat before finishing the prayer. The meaning of it is:

I bear witness that there is no god but Allah, He is one and no one is like him, And I bear witness that Mohammad is his conformer (Ab'd) and his messenger, O'Allah send greetings to Mohammad and the Family of Mohammad.

(fig 6)

apray6.jpg

Salam

This is the end part of salat and by reciting this part you officially end your prayer. You would read it at the end of the last Rakat (after the second sajda) and you finish your prayer. After reading it you would raise your palms from your thigh and say Allah'u Akbar and put your hands back on the thighs for three times (see fig 7). You read it in Arabic and pronunciation is Here. The meaning of the reading it is

Greetings to us and to the faithful (Saleheen) conformers' of Allah, Greetings and Mercy of Allah be onto you.

(fig 7)

apray7.jpg

Tasbeehat' al-Arba'a

This part is for prayers other than Fajr prayer which have more than 2 Rakats and it replaces the reading of Al-hamd and the Sura. You can say this thekr (prefered) or you can simply read the Al-hamd chapter only with low voice. This is the pronunciation of the thekr:

Subhanal'lah, Wal-hamdule'lah,

Wala Elaha Elallah'u, Wa'llah'u Akbar.

Which means clean and pure is Allah, and thanks to Allah, and no god but Allah, and Allah is great. There is four parts to it and that is why it is called Tasbeehat al-Arba'a. You can say this thekr only once or three times.

Source: How to Pray

Edited by Hameedeh
To add clarification that in Tashahud [it is more mustahab to place the upper part of the right foot on the sole of the left foot]

Assalam Alikum.

It is sufficient enough to have clean clothes which cover the private parts during prayers for the males. They can pray that way and it would be acceptable.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Not sure if I was meant to post here... sorry if not!

Just a couple of questions:

Alhamdullilah I have been praying for a number of years, but there are a couple of things I recently didn't realise or would like answers to:

1. At the beginning of every prayer, do I need to hear the adhaan or atleast say the whole adhaan to myself before i can actually pray? And if I don't will the prayer be invalidated? I always thought I just needed to do tikbeer i.e. say "Allahu Akbar" etc

2. I have only recently started to prayer the Shia way ( :cry: may all our prayers be accepted), so there are times when I just forget to do one part because I haven't been concentrating properly and done what I usually do, almost like automatic pilot eg I've always been used to saying dua when sitting, not when standing, so sometimes don't remain standing and miss it completely :cry: ... do I need to pray those prayers again??

Alhamdullilah i am getting better at remembering... inshallah I will continue to.

Once again, may Allah (swt) accept all our prayers.

WaSalam

(bismillah)

(salam)

Sis, it is not wajib to recite adhan or iqamah. There is a hadith to the effect that if you recite adhan a row of angles will stand behind you, and if you also recite the iqamah, two rows of angels will stand behind you in the prayer. The purpose behind them is that they "establish" the prayer. You should at least make an effort to recite the iqamah (which is like the adhan with the addition of "Qad qamatis salah" 2 times) and say Astaghfirullaha Rabee wa atoobo ilayh, 3 times.

Your prayer technically begins with the takbeer.

Qunoot is not wajib either so if you don't do, your prayer is not invalidated.

A lot of the parts of the prayer are mustahab, not wajib but it's good to do the mustahab and get in the habit of it.

Taqabalallah ...

(salam)

Azan and Eqamat

These are the Calls to Prayer and the Declaration of Belief which are proclaimed

aloud at the time of each Namaz calling the Faithful to prayer.

The Azan consists of :

1. "Allaho Akbar" -- 4 times ("God is Great")

2. "Ash-hado-an la ilaha illallah" -- twice ("I bear witness that there is no God except Allah.")

3. "Ash-hado anna Muhammadan Rasool-Allah" -- twice ("I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.")

4. "Ash-hado anna Aliyan Wali-Allah" -- twice ("I bear witness that Ali is the friend of God.")

5. "Hayya alas-salah" -- twice ("Hasten towards prayer.")

6. "Hayya alal-falah" -- twice ("Hasten towards prosperity.")

7. "Hayya ala Khairil-amal" -- twice ("Hasten towards the best of actions.")

8. "Allaho Akbar" -- twice ("God is Great.")

9. "La ilaha illallah" -- twice ("There is no God except Allah.")

The Eqamat or Declaration of Belief follows the Azan and consists of :

1. "Allaho Akbar" -- twice ("God is Great")

2. "Ash-hado-an la ilaha illallah" -- twice ("I bear witness that there is no God except Allah.")

3. "Ash-hado anna Muhammadan Rasool-Allah" -- twice ("I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.")

4. "Ash-hado anna Aliyan Wali-Allah" -- once ("I bear witness that Ali is the friend of God.")

5. "Hayya alas-salah" -- twice ("Hasten towards prayer.")

6. "Hayya alal-falah" -- twice ("Hasten towards prosperity.")

7. "Hayya ala Khairil-amal" -- twice ("Hasten towards the best of actions.")

8. "Qad qamatis-salat" -- twice ("Lo, prayer has been established."

9. "Allaho Akbar" -- twice ("God is Great")

10. "La ilaha illallah" -- once ("There is no God except Allah.")

Tasbeeh

A Tasbeeh is a roasry having 100 beads.

The following Tasbeeh is to be recited after every Namaz and is known as Tasbeeh-e-Zahra.

34 times Allaho Akbar (God is Great)

33 times Alhamdo Lillah (All praise be for God)

33 times Subhan-Allah (Glory to God)

After the above Tasbeeh one should recite the following Dua: 3 times.

Bism-illah-ir-Rahman-ir-Raheem ("In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.")

Astaghferullah Hul Lezee, La Ilaha Illah Howal Haiyul Qayum Ar-Raman Nir-Rahim, Zul Jalaley Wul Ikrame, Wa Atoo Bo Ilai

which means:

I seek pardon from Allah. There is no God but Allah,

The Merciful, The Compassionate. Lord of bounty,

Majesty and Power, and unto Him I turn Repentant.

it is also good to get into position of Sajdah (prostrate) and utter any words of thanksgiving and repentance which need not be in Arabic.

*the rest of is just recommended so I didn't type it up*

wasalaam

here is a post from ali_1980

IN TUHAFF AL UQQUL, IMAM ALI(AS) SAYS ON PAGE 127:- “THE BELIEVERS SHOULD NOT PUT ONE HAND ON THE OTHER DURING STANDING ERECT IN PRAYERS LIKE THE DISBLELIEVERS”.

Ask Sunnis the story of why the cross their arms. :P

(bismillah)

Selamu Aleykum,

I have some questions about the Shia Salat.

1-In the begining of the second rekat, do we say "Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim" before Surah al-Hamd?

2-In the 2nd rekat after the Qunoot prayer or in the 3rd or 4th rekat after Tadbiha Arba'ah do we say "Allahu ekber" before going to ruku or "Samey-Allaho Layman hamedah " next?

May Allah be pleased with you.

Emre said:
1-In the begining of the second rekat, do we say "Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim" before Surah al-Hamd?

yes.

2-In the 2nd rekat after the Qunoot prayer or in the 3rd or 4th rekat after Tadbiha Arba'ah  do we say "Allahu ekber"  before going to ruku or "Samey-Allaho Layman hamedah " next?

i'm not sure what you mean by qunoot prayer, but we do say allahu akbar before ruku', and sami'allahu liman hamidah after it.

for more information, read through the following site which contains the rules according to ayatullah sistani.

http://www.rafed.net/books/other-lang/masa...l-e12b.html#111

(salam)

Adabus Salat /The Disciplines of the Prayer http://www.al-islam.org/adab/

Forty Ahadith on Salat http://al-islam.org/fortysalat/

Salat (Prayer): The Mode of Divine Proximity and Recognition http://al-islam.org/salaat/

Soaring to the Only Beloved http://al-islam.org/soarbeloved/

Edited by starlight
edited to remove the link that didn't work

Do i have to say allhu akbar after raku? I mean when i stand up straight i just say sama Allah limin hamidah then go down to sajood is that wrong do i have to say allhu akbar? And in sajood i say samhana rabi il 3la wa behamidah then sit and say astagfur Allah rabi wa tuballay then stand do i have to say allhu akbar here too?

While we should strive to learn our Salaat in Arabic, I know brothers and sisters that still pray in English for whatever reason. I too have prayed in English. Allaah(swt) knows your intentions and what is in your heart.

It's obligatory to recite salaat in Arabic, however there is no problem for example after your prayer making dua in english or any other language.

Yes while it is obligatory to recite the prayer in Arabic, here in the west most people do not know arabic. 

This is what Ayatullah Sistani says [i could be wrong but I think this would be the answer to your question]

1006. A person should learn Surahs to be recited in namaz, so that he may not recite them incorrectly, and if one cannot by any means learn the whole of Surah al-Hamd, he should learn as much of it as he can and recite; but if that is a very small part, then as an obligatory precaution, he should add to it as many verses of Qur'an that he can remember. And if he cannot do that, he should add some Tasbeeh to it. But if someone cannot recite Surah al-Hamd at all, then there is no necessary replacement for it. The recommended precaution for him is to join Namaz-e-Jamaat.

1007. If a person does not know Surah al-Hamd well, but can learn it, he should do so if the time of namaz permits. And if the time does not permit, he should act as guided in the above rule, and his prayers will be valid. But wherever possible, such a person should join Namaz-e-Jamaat to relieve himself of the responsibility.

http://www.sistani.o...&id=48&pid=2221

Then again I don't know what the ruling would be for the rest of the prayers e.g. what to say in tashahhud, what to say in the taslim etc.

Salaam, jzk for these links :D they're very helpful mashallah

Does anyone know whether it's compulsory for a sister to cover her feet during pray? Should I cover as a precaution?

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, I'm kind of new here

http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/files/prayers.pdf = how to perform salat in a factsheet format (beginning on the right side of 1st page, continuing on the 2nd, ending on left side of the 1st page)

http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/files/purification.pdf = how to perform wudhu etc.

http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/ = lots of relevant information for beginners

On 7/9/2012 at 7:40 PM, Azizah said:

Does anyone know whether it's compulsory for a sister to cover her feet during pray? Should I cover as a precaution?

(salam)

Here is the Q&A from Ayatollah Khamenei on the same issue:

Q 433: How much of the body a woman should be covered in prayer? Is there any problem with short-sleeved clothes and in not wearing socks?

A: Women should cover the whole body except the area of the face washed during wuḍū’, the hands up to the wrists, and the feet up to the ankles provided that the dress should really cover the body. In the presence of a non-maḥram the feet should be covered as well.

Bismillah.

Salamun Alaykum.

I think there are certain situation, preliminaries, etiquettes and methods for prayer. The first necessary condition for an ideal praying is Ma'rifah (to have knowledge about Allah) which can be acquired through learning about Allah’s attributes and pondering in His signs in the world, and maybe for this, we have in some narrations:

"فكرة ساعة خير من عبادة ستّين سنة"

“To think for an hour is better than worshiping sixty years.”

(Nahj al-Fasahah p.590)

Congratulations on learning how to pray. Allah bless you!

There is a pdf file with instructions on how to pray, and if you print it out you can fold it into a booklet:

https://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/files/prayers.pdf

These are Shia videos which can help you learn to pronounce the words in Arabic. 

Fajr prayer:

Zohr prayer:

Asr prayer:

Maghrib prayer:

Isha prayer:

Here is the correct English translation for the obligatory parts of the prayer. Every single vowel and letter matters. This thread here shows what many people pronounce wrong in their prayers, and what the marja' has to say.

7 = حَ

3 = عَ

Al-Faatiha

بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

Bismillahhir Ra7maannir Ra7eem

الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

Al7amdulillaahi Rabbil 3aalameen

الرَّحْمـنِ الرَّحِيمِ

Arra7maanir Ra7eem

مَـالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ

Maaliki Yauwwmiddeen

إِيَّاك نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

Eyyaakana3budo Wa Eyyaakanassta3een

اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ

Ihhdenasseraatal Mustakeem

صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ

Seraatallatheena An3amta 3alayhim Ghayril Mughdoobi 3alayhim waladdaaleen

Surah al-Ikhlas

بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيم

Bismillaahhir Ra7maanir Ra7eem

قُلْ هُوَ ٱللَّهُ أَحَدٌ

Kul huwallaaho a5ad

ٱللَّهُ ٱلصَّمَدُ

Allaahussamad

لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ

Lam Yalid Walam Yuulad

وَلَمْ يَكُن لَّهُۥ كُفُوًا أَحَدٌۢ

Walam Yakullaho Kufuwan Ahad

RUKU

سُبحَانَ رَبِّ العَظيمِ وَبِحَمدِه

Sub7aana Rabbiyel 3atheemi Wa Be7amdeh

SUJUD

سُبحَانَ رَبِّ الأعلا وَبِحَمدِه

Sub7aana Rabbiyel A3laa Wa Be7amdeh

TASHAHUD

أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلٰهَ إِلاّ الله وحده لا شريك له وَ أَشَهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّداً عَبْدُهُ وَ رَسُولُه، أَللّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلىٰ مُحَمَّدٍ وَ آلِ مُحَمَّد

Ash Hadu All Laa illaaha illallaah Wa7daho La Shareekalah Wa Ash Hadu Anna Mu7ammadan 3abduhu Wa Rasooloh Allaahumma Salli 3allah Mu7ammad Wa Aali Mu7ammad

TASLIM

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَيْكَ اَيُّها ٱلنَّبِىُّ وَ رَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَ بَرَكاتُه

Assalaamu 3alayka Ayyuhannabiyyo Wa Ra7matullaahi Wa Barakaatu

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَينا وَ عَلىٰ عِبادِ اللهِ الصّالِحِينَ

Assalaamu 3alayna Wa 3ala 3ebaadellaahis saale7een

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَ رَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَ بَرَكاتُه

Assalamu 3alaykum Wa Ra7matullaahi Wa Barakaatu

Here is a Video with a pretty accurate recitation of everything above. Starts at 3:10. 

TASBIHAT ARBAH

Many Muslims in the world recite this part incorrectly. Below is the correct one:

سُبْحانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ للَّهِ وَلا اِلهَ‌ اِلاّ اللَّهُ وَاللَّهُ اَكْبَرُ

Sub7aanallaahi Wal7amdulillaahi Walaa illaaha illullaaho Wullaaho Akbar