Sign in to follow this  
Sulaima

Trinity acording to the holy Quran

Rate this topic

Sura 5:116 indicates that Muhamad believed the Christian „tritiny“ to consist of the Father, Son and Mary. Did Muhammed not know this disputed dogma of the Christian church, or did the Christian Church replace Mary with the Holy Goast after the Quran was written? What is the official explanation from authorised Muslim scholars to this verse?

Sura 5:116 YUSUFALI:

"And behold! Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden"

Sura 5:116 indicates that Muhamad believed the Christian „tritiny“ to consist of the Father, Son and Mary. Did Muhammed not know this disputed dogma of the Christian church, or did the Christian Church replace Mary with the Holy Goast after the Quran was written? What is the official explanation from authorised Muslim scholars to this verse?

"And behold! Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden"

:lol:

tahts a pathetic attempt!you are drawin a conclusion on what you asked that have not being answered.

do u know that there is another verse which says that those who believe that God is "3 in 1" are unbelievers.i dont have your time in searchin for that verse now.but may be a bro./sis. can provide it sooner than me.

Sura 5:116 indicates that Muhamad believed the Christian „tritiny“ to consist of the Father, Son and Mary.

Strange..** Ali Zaki scratches his head** I have re-read this ayat several times and I don't see the word "Trinity" anywhere in the ayat you quoted. I also don't see the word "Father" anywhere...and yet...your statement is that this verse proves that Prophet Mohammad (a.s.) believed that the Trinity was Father-Son-Mary.

Do you have evidence for your claim?

(salam)

Sis, here the term didst means "do" in past tense-- Or did. So the verse, which is only a meager translation of the Holy Quran (not to be confused with the actual content of the Quran) says that God will ask Jesus as whether or not he propagated the trinity. In the verse you presented, Jesus as will replied with, "Never could i say what i have no right to say". If Jesus as had no right to say such a thing, and under the trinity he is a divine entity, then it negates your claim.

I would check into other translations as well to help clear out the ambiguity.

Take Care

The Trintiy hasn't been the only Christian concept of God. The Qur'an refers to all times. It is referring to the basic shared Christian concept of Jesus being the "son of God", and being God. And Mary being the holy "mother of God".

for a while the holy spirit did have a feminine aspect, but the tradition did die out. of course there is not that much support for a trinity in the gospels much less this specific one.

I am pretty sure Mary was something to someone, I mean you have to be god in order to appear on tortillias right?! :wacko: :P

Strange..** Ali Zaki scratches his head** I have re-read this ayat several times and I don't see the word "Trinity" anywhere in the ayat you quoted. I also don't see the word "Father" anywhere...and yet...your statement is that this verse proves that Prophet Mohammad (a.s.) believed that the Trinity was Father-Son-Mary.

Allah in sura 5:116 asks: “O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah'?” If this question isn’t totally superfluous and meaningless, a rumour was around that this was what Jesus had told men. Jesus, nor the New Testament, never uses the word “trinity”, but if it isn’t what we now call Trinity the Quran in this verse is talking about, then what is it?

do u know that there is another verse which says that those who believe that God is "3 in 1" are unbelievers.i dont have your time in searchin for that verse now.but may be a bro./sis. can provide it sooner than me.

Is this the one you are reffering to?

004.171 O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.

And behold! God will say: "O Jesus, the son of Mary, didst thou say unto men, 'Worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God,?' He will say: 'Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, Thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, though I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden.'" (Surah 5 Maida, verse 116)

YUSUFALI: O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.

PICKTHAL: O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.

SHAKIR: O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only a messenger of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His messengers, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

am also findin the verse that says those who who say god is jesus the messiah have commited disbelief!

http://www.islamawareness.net/Christianity...does_quran.html

am also findin the verse that says those who who say god is jesus the messiah have commited disbelief!

http://www.islamawareness.net/Christianity...does_quran.html

I do not question that "those who say god is jesus the messiah have commited disbelief" is Islamic dogma. But I am looking for an interpretation of the Sura 5:116, that explain why this sura is not talking about the christian trinity. To me it seem obvious it does.

I am looking for an interpretation of the Sura 5:116, that explain why this sura is not talking about the christian trinity. To me it seem obvious it does.

(salam) and Peace,

Instead of asking us to prove that this verse is not talking about the trinity, why not tell us why you believe the verse IS talking about the trinity? (since the verse itself never uses the word "trinity")

P.S.- "To me it seems obvious that it does" is not evidence and provides no basis for a discussion since we cannot disprove something whcih exists only in your mind.

I do not question that "those who say god is jesus the messiah have commited disbelief" is Islamic dogma. But I am looking for an interpretation of the Sura 5:116, that explain why this sura is not talking about the christian trinity. To me it seem obvious it does.

well if you truly want to its my verse i cxan give the time and explain.but i hope you just want an explanation.

God will ask jesus if he asked people to "worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah'?"

doesnt God know whether he did or didnt?its rhetoric.

in this sense we know the meanin of this verse:

"In 4:156-159 ".....He (Jesus) will be a witness Against them."

what did jesus answered?

" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden""

so jesus never commanded anyone to worship him or his mother.you are on your own,thats the message!

this verse is outside the "trinity".its an additional warning for those who deitify both jesus and mary and this is in the form of a prophecy.else i have presented a verse talkin about "trinity" and where u were asked to desist!

Edited by mehdi soldier

"In 4:156-159 ".....He (Jesus) will be a witness Against them."

what did jesus answered?

" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden""

so jesus never commanded anyone to worship him or his mother.you are on your own,thats the message!

this verse is outside the "trinity".its an additional warning for those who deitify both jesus and mary and this is in the form of a prophecy.else i have presented a verse talkin about "trinity" and where u were asked to desist!

And who are "them" that falsely say Jesus commanded to worship both Jesus and Mary, if not the Christians? But Christians dont claim Jesus commands to worship is mother. If this is correct, we can conclude that Muhammad had insufficient knowledge of Christian teaching.

And who are "them" that falsely say Jesus commanded to worship both Jesus and Mary, if not the Christians? But Christians dont claim Jesus commands to worship is mother. If this is correct, we can conclude that Muhammad had insufficient knowledge of Christian teaching.

(salam) and Peace,

The verse is refering to something which will occur IN THE FUTURE (i.e., on the day of judgement) and does not say who the specific group is. So it is a HISTORICAL ASSUMPTION that the ayat is refering to people of the past (and not the future) or to people who called themselves Christian.

I'm sure there are many people that consider themselves to be "Christians" which you do not consider to be Christians. Historically, there have been groups of people who believed that Mary (a.s.), Mother of Jesus (a.s.) was, quite literally, the "Mother of God". This can be easily proven (and has been in previous threads). Whether or not the ayat is refering to these specific groups, some other group (that have been "lost to history") or some people which will present themselves in the future remains an unanswered question if this ayat is considered on it's own.

(salam) and Peace,

The verse is refering to something which will occur IN THE FUTURE (i.e., on the day of judgement) and does not say who the specific group is. So it is a HISTORICAL ASSUMPTION that the ayat is refering to people of the past (and not the future) or to people who called themselves Christian.

I'm sure there are many people that consider themselves to be "Christians" which you do not consider to be Christians. Historically, there have been groups of people who believed that Mary (a.s.), Mother of Jesus (a.s.) was, quite literally, the "Mother of God". This can be easily proven (and has been in previous threads). Whether or not the ayat is refering to these specific groups, some other group (that have been "lost to history") or some people which will present themselves in the future remains an unanswered question if this ayat is considered on it's own.

On doomsday the small heretic group that believed Jesus commanded them to worship Mary as a God, will be very difficult to spot among Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants and others. It is striking that the Quran in 5:116 does not mention the holy spirit instead of Mary. Humans have a tendency to develop ideas, and illiterate persons without access to the Bible, could easily have developed the idea that Jesus commanded them to worship Mary. Maybe Muhammad had his idea about Christian trinity from them. But it is not a Biblical idea. Sura 4:171 also gives a blurred impression about the understanding of Christian teaching in the Quran. I think we can conclude that Muhammad never read the New Testament.

In which thread has the "mother of god" been discussed?

On doomsday the small heretic group that believed Jesus commanded them to worship Mary as a God, will be very difficult to spot among Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants and others. It is striking that the Quran in 5:116 does not mention the holy spirit instead of Mary. Humans have a tendency to develop ideas, and illiterate persons without access to the Bible, could easily have developed the idea that Jesus commanded them to worship Mary. Maybe Muhammad had his idea about Christian trinity from them. But it is not a Biblical idea. Sura 4:171 also gives a blurred impression about the understanding of Christian teaching in the Quran. I think we can conclude that Muhammad never read the New Testament.

In which thread has the "mother of god" been discussed?

the refutation of the trinity in the quran and that of the verse you presented are very different.

you presented the verse about jesus and his mother.and i told u that it has nothin to do with trinity.and i posted another which says desist from trinity.so the two are separately defined.and unrelated.and good u've said that the prophet never read the nt.

and u are sayin something thats very childish,sorry if i sound rude.but thats it.

its very easy for God to know everyone.

Edited by mehdi soldier

the refutation of the trinity in the quran and that of the verse you presented are very different.

you presented the verse about jesus and his mother.and i told u that it has nothin to do with trinity.and i posted another which says desist from trinity.so the two are separately defined.and unrelated.and good u've said that the prophet never read the nt.

and u are sayin something thats very childish,sorry if i sound rude.but thats it.

its very easy for God to know everyone.

I am not offended, and it is OK you think I am childlish, as long as you sound polite. And you do.

I believe that Muhammed had knowledge of trinity, but that this knowledge was insufficient and partly incorrect. These two verses strongly indicates this.

I believe that from the verse that has been quoted, 4:171, Muhammad had quite a good knowledge of what is called the 'trinity'.

If you notice in the verse he mentions Jesus, the Messiah, the Messenger, but in relationship to Mary he also mentions 'the word'. In some translations the Word is capitalized which refers to 'THE WORD', tha Manifestation of God that became flesh in the person of Jesus. And it says 'and a spirit from Him', this no doubt refers to the Spirit that impregnated Mary and that was also THE SPIRIT OF GOD that indwelt Jesus, another Manifestation of God. (Jesus had no human father, the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary).

But Muhammad was quick to say, "Don't say three".

He said believe in Allah and His Messengers. God is only One.

Oh that the Muslim world would have listened to him and not accused the Christians of worshipping three gods, which of course they don't.

Muhammad said, "Cease, It is better for you". Because people didn't understand it they should have put it out of their minds, and they still should today.

The other verse you mention, 5:116, is a bit puzzling as it seems to be self explained. It is a good verse to ask about, but I agree with others that it doesn't mention Muhammad nor does it have much to do with the faulty concept of trinity.

It could have been that among the people there were those that heard of 'trinity' and tried to make it fit. Not knowing much about the Holy Spirit, or having an image to identify with, they might have thought of Mary, who was certainly highly honored.

'And when Allah said; "O Jesus son of Mary, did you say unto mankind?

The very question is unnecessary because God knows everything. --- Would it be asked for the sake of the hearers who might have believed such a false concept?

Jesus spoke only what God gave Him to say so God would know what He said.

The Scripture says, 'He always did what pleased the Father'.

117. 'I spake unto them only that which Thou commandedst me, saying: Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord'.

The part of a prayer that has found its way into the Catholic Church might have come from this. They say, 'Holy Mary, Mother of God'. She was the mother of Jesus, and the most prominent woman in the NT, but nothing more. When she was in the upper room she was worshipping with them, not being worshipped.

At the wedding of Cana she said, 'Whatever He says to you, do it'. Christians still do what He says.

Placid

I believe that from the verse that has been quoted, 4:171, Muhammad had quite a good knowledge of what is called the 'trinity'.

The other verse you mention, 5:116, is a bit puzzling as it seems to be self explained. It is a good verse to ask about, but I agree with others that it doesn't mention Muhammad nor does it have much to do with the faulty concept of trinity.

It could have been that among the people there were those that heard of 'trinity' and tried to make it fit. Not knowing much about the Holy Spirit, or having an image to identify with, they might have thought of Mary, who was certainly highly honored.

'And when Allah said; "O Jesus son of Mary, did you say unto mankind?

The very question is unnecessary because God knows everything. --- Would it be asked for the sake of the hearers who might have believed such a false concept?

"Dont say three", to me indicates that Muhammad had heard about the Christian dogma of trinity. He doesnt say who they are. The Quran doesnt say that Jesus on dudgement day will testify against those that believe the holy spirit was divine, it says that Jesus will testify against those that believe his mother was. This is a strong indication that Muhammad had not correctly understood who the 3 divine persons were according to the Bible.

(bismillah)

No, not really. As was mentioned earlier, the Quran speaks to all times. The fact that it refers to Jesus and Mary as having been set up with God by the Christians does not neccesarily mean that they are the trinity in question. You must keep in mind that there are times when the Quran simply references the Christian practice of setting Jesus up along with God, and there are others refering to how the pagans made daughters for God.

In no way does the verse indicate any reference to the Trinity of Christianity. It simply discusses the fact that many Christians, then and now, have taken Mary as an object of worship.

Edited by Amir۞Ramadhaan

(bismillah)

No, not really. As was mentioned earlier, the Quran speaks to all times. The fact that it refers to Jesus and Mary as having been set up with God by the Christians does not neccesarily mean that they are the trinity in question. You must keep in mind that there are times when the Quran simply references the Christian practice of setting Jesus up along with God, and there are others refering to how the pagans made daughters for God.

In no way does the verse indicate any reference to the Trinity of Christianity. It simply discusses the fact that many Christians, then and now, have taken Mary as an object of worship.

To worship saints as gods is not christian teaching, and it is a misunderstanding that catholics worship mother Mary as a god. The Quran obviously also has misunderstood this. Trinity is a controversial subject, so it is no wonder that Muhammad didn't get it completely right. I guess he never read the bible, and only had heard sayings about trinity.

"Dont say three", to me indicates that Muhammad had heard about the Christian dogma of trinity. He doesnt say who they are. The Quran doesnt say that Jesus on dudgement day will testify against those that believe the holy spirit was divine, it says that Jesus will testify against those that believe his mother was. This is a strong indication that Muhammad had not correctly understood who the 3 divine persons were according to the Bible.

:lol: isnt that ridiculous sulaima?in the verse you presented it warns those who deitify jesus and his mother.the other i presented says desist from "trinity".now sulaima you are simply saying that the prophet and ofcourse arabia knows about something called trintiy" but dont know who the three" are :lol: .isnt that funny?first what proof do you have?the verse that talks about jesus and mary didnt say they are part of the "trinity".and the one that talks of "trinity" didnt say who they are.that doesnt mean that you should mix the two SEPARATE verses together and conjecture.and who knows there could be hadiths that talks about the trinity" in more details.but as far the quranic verses are concerned your conclusion is a baseless assumption.

If you notice in the verse he mentions Jesus, the Messiah, the Messenger, but in relationship to Mary he also mentions 'the word'. In some translations the Word is capitalized which refers to 'THE WORD', tha Manifestation of God that became flesh in the person of Jesus. And it says 'and a spirit from Him', this no doubt refers to the Spirit that impregnated Mary and that was also THE SPIRIT OF GOD that indwelt Jesus, another Manifestation of God. (Jesus had no human father, the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary).

He said believe in Allah and His Messengers. God is only One.

Oh that the Muslim world would have listened to him and not accused the Christians of worshipping three gods, which of course they don't.Muhammad said, "Cease, It is better for you". Because people didn't understand it they should have put it out of their minds, and they still should today.

Placid

first it wasnt the prophet that says what you are talkin about?what you are sayin is in direct contradiction to what we believe.

secondly,the quran doesnt say that "cease" because you dont understand.how foolish would that be that jesus didnt explain the trinty and again God sent his final messenger to compliment the past messages and complete the path of God and the previous messengers and yet again he leaves the puzzle unresolved!

so "placid" the case you are makin is a hopeless one,dont expect anyone normal muslim to pay heed to it because its a mighty dream that you have cooked up!

PICKTHAL: O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.

and it says "believe in Allah and his messenger" just the way we are asked to believe in all the other messengers in other verses.did you throw that into the sea?

and should i remind you once more that we still have to settle things in this thread?

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...ic=82730&st=100

you admit that the "trinity" is a wrong concept.and i gave you the muslim position.that manifestations are not only jesus and the holy spirit.and i told you that even the holy spirit ,the word of God and jesus are not the same.the word and spirit are toold God made that were used to create jesus.and also there is a difference between jesus and the word.not only jesus was created from the word "be".all creations were.so please dont tell us from the imaginations that the quran says "cease" because sonething has not being explained.in the quran everything we are aware of in beliefs is explained and made clear.otherwise if what you are sayin is true then it would have being obvious through the words of the prophet in the hadiths atleast.and also the quran would ahve elaborated and made us worship jesus and the spirit .the sprit OF GOD.not God !

:lol: isnt that ridiculous sulaima?in the verse you presented it warns those who deitify jesus and his mother.the other i presented says desist from "trinity".now sulaima you are simply saying that the prophet and ofcourse arabia knows about something called trintiy" but dont know who the three" are :lol: .isnt that funny?first what proof do you have?the verse that talks about jesus and mary didnt say they are part of the "trinity".and the one that talks of "trinity" didnt say who they are.that doesnt mean that you should mix the two SEPARATE verses together and conjecture.and who knows there could be hadiths that talks about the trinity" in more details.but as far the quranic verses are concerned your conclusion is a baseless assumption.

I dont find it rediculous that you disagree with me. On the contrary I understand. If you assume that the Quran does not contain any faults, it is not possible that it speaks about the millions of Christians that know Jesus did not command them to worship Mary as a God. It has to be somebody else that the Quran is referring to. Could it be the illiterate craftsman in 7th century Medina, that believed Jesus had commanded him to worship Maria, and therefore will end up in hell after doomsday?

I am not a Muslim so I am free to believe Muhammad was talking about Christianity, and not a small sect that could not read the Bible.