what is life like in Pakistan?

28 replies to this topic

#1 GHULAMEPANJTAN

GHULAMEPANJTAN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:23 PM

(salam) I wanted to find out from people who are residing in Pakistan and from ones who have emigrated there from other countries. What its like living there i myself go for a holiday but am now thinking about settling out there with my hubby and kids as my husband who came to london after marrying me is now fed up with the country after just 9 years and i am considering it but i want to find out the good and bad points before we decide.
My in laws live in a village in Jhelum but i want to live in a city and so would prefer if people from the citys would give me their experiences.
What is life like, schools, crime, etc.
I would really welcome views from people who have emigrated to pakistan are u happy r u still there or did u come bak?

Edited by GHULAMEPANJTAN, 14 May 2006 - 12:30 PM.

#2 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,530 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

Where in Pakistan? Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad etc.?

I'm from Islamabad, life over there is much different than other cities such as Lahore and Karachi. It's a more quite area, and cleaner too :P. I've never 'lived' there but I go there for visits.

I don't live in London; though I've been there many times as well, but if I were given a choice between London and Pakistan :P I would choose Pakistan.

But between Canada and Pakistan: Canada B).

Edited by Ali_Imran, 14 May 2006 - 01:25 PM.

#3 Ali Wali

Ali Wali

Ali Wali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:i am very much interested in reading books espacially those who r related to psycology(cycology)coz its my major and fav.subject.<br />i like to recite nohas and marsias!!!

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:04 PM

(bismillah)
(salam) i am here in pakistan living in karachi.well every place has some gud points n some negitive points too.........well pakistan is not too much worst country,lol.
see if u r gonna live in karachi,now a days da weader is really very hot..
well u'll always get da trouble of jam traffic.....
u'll find beggars i think almost every where,lol....
u'll find dat da shopkeepers will somretimes really make u irritate coz of da bargainig case!!!
but listen here u'll find some gud points too........
like.......
like.
like...
lol
i must tell u
if u think positive u'll definitely find gud points........
here u can easily find shia mosques..
u can easily express ur believes like in a form of majalis,juloos n maatam..
here der is no such restrictions 4 muslims 4 any sort of religious thing..........
u can easily find general stores,medical stores,clinics,different shops,funlands,different places 4 diners n lunch,play area,parks n etc......
see how much benifits r der too.......
but da thing is dat it totally depends on u dat in how much time do u settle urself.....
i am sure u'll inshallah easily make urself settelled here wid lots of enjoyement.......
but plz always think positive n da results will automatically turn out positive....inshallah.
my prayers r wid u all..
so best of luck. :D

#4 Rawshni

Rawshni

The likes of Me DO NOT submit to the likes of them.

• Banned
  • 20,124 posts
  • Interests:A bit of this and that, some of these and those, and well, hama, shoma ...

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

If at all you must come back, settle in Lahore

#5 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • 32,530 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

If you got $$ then you are set.

#6 Ali Wali

Ali Wali

Ali Wali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:i am very much interested in reading books espacially those who r related to psycology(cycology)coz its my major and fav.subject.<br />i like to recite nohas and marsias!!!

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

If you got $$ then you are set.

lol,lol,lol :D

#7 YZehra93

YZehra93

Skweekii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

^Lol, im from Islamabad but like today we were talking on the phone and there all like you know even for the poor people they dont food and hardly any water comes through the tap so everyone stores water. Other than that Pakistan has gone bad, im really not looking forward to going there, because they have so "modern" that it gets annoying. I mean my cousins are like oh you my friend has a girlfriend/boyfriend and theres alot of people who have belly button piercings and stuff like that so i get shocked and im like wat the hell? But im thinking the name is Islamic Republic of Pakistan then i dont see/hear any Islamic stuff from people who go there and what they show on TV, well TV doesnt represent the whole community and stuff but still. And then my cousin says that im a ABCD= American Born Confused Desi lool, but we'll see when i go this year inshallah.

Edited by YZehra93, 14 May 2006 - 03:23 PM.

#8 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • 32,530 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

Alongside that, considering you lived in England all your life, adjusting to Pakistani environment will be tough, you will be very immune diseases, Hepetitis is getting very common now a days, and tap water will just not be for your body.

#9 al-syedia

al-syedia

ALI TAJDAR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:35 AM

, Hepetitis is getting very common now a days, and tap water will just not be for your body

may be the water filter will do the job

#10 Friend of All

Friend of All

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:everything from books to french fries.. from surfing to watching toons!!<br />

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:52 AM

I've lived here almost all my life uptill now, except for the few months when I was a kid.. Life is good, despite the shortcomings, and mind you, theres not one.. life is good.. eventhough at times I do feel what type of place this is, but then, it is still good, because home is where the heart is.. :D

oh yeah, water is bad these days, not at my place alhamdulillah, light turns off at the weirdest hours at the night, and your phone can go dead while you are still on it..so there..hehe

Edited by Friend of All, 15 May 2006 - 05:53 AM.

#11 -SeeKeR-

-SeeKeR-

Wackistani

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:39 AM

As ali said that if you have dollars you won't have much problem.You can get your children in any of the good schools....they'll jess have to study 'n work harder here as compared to in london as regards to getting good grades.
As far as crime is concerned...law 'n order situation has worsened over the years like cell phone snatchings,general muggins have increased...so you gotta be careful in that sense.But if yer generally careful you can move around...but unlike in eng you'll need to rely on yer own car rather than public transporatation as its not very reliable.
The health facilities aren't very good either...you'll have to have money and contacts to get some good medical attention.
Safe drinking water is also not available...you'll need to get bottled water if you want to remain free of various diseases.
And if you people, while moving here are thinking that you guys would be getting some good environment for your children as compared to eng...then thatz a serious misconception as following islam and putting good morals in your children in pak isn't as easy as people think.
The economic situation and the political situation is highly volatile despite the govt. claims.Corruption is also very common and extremely frustrating.
So unless you are one of those people who are willing to struggle it out for the sake of your country i would advise that you think really hard before coming here.

Edited by farwa, 15 May 2006 - 06:48 AM.

#12 al-syedia

al-syedia

ALI TAJDAR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

but the life gud if it is spent with ur loved ones

#13 Mohsin

Mohsin

<_<>_>

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

Pakistan is desi place B) so if desi food, people and places attract you'll enjoy other you'll regret :P

#14 al-syedia

al-syedia

ALI TAJDAR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:15 PM

yeh absolutely
but isnt it gud to spent ur life with ur relatives

#15 fareeha

fareeha

• Banned
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Like alice wondering in the wonderland

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:15 AM

If at all you must come back, settle in Lahore

If at all, given a free choice, i would always opt 4 karachi, cz intelligensia of the country lives here. ^_^

#16 fareeha

fareeha

• Banned
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Like alice wondering in the wonderland

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:26 AM

though i dont hail from this city, yet can safely claim that karachi is matchless as far as pakistan is concerned :P

#17 mourner

mourner

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

though i dont hail from this city, yet can safely claim that karachi is matchless as far as pakistan is concerned :P

Perdesi Loog.Dase say door baith ker Pakistan ko yad kar rahay hain..
well friends every thing is better in Abroad..but not AZADARI..AZADARI IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN PAKISTAN WITH ALOT OF ULAMA,ZAKIR,MATAMI DASTAS,NOHA KHAWANS.LATE NIGHT LANGAR..NOHA KHAWANI PRACTICE..ETC...
SO friends if u want to settle in paksitan..come and live in your own Village or city where your Grand Father and Father strat there Life..

I AM PURE PAKISTANI AND AZADAR-e-HUSSAIN and i know alot of people who are missing pakistan..
SO its all depends on you guys that where u want to live.. www.pakwatan.com,www.ipaki.com etc..alot of websites available for pakistan Guide. ....Allah HAFIZ. :D

#18 Excalibur

Excalibur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Politics.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

If you like Kansas's life then Islamabad is good, and if you like New York's life then Karachi. :D

Karachi has had many problems in the past, especially transportation. But now I have heard that it is improving very fast.
If I were to live in anywhere in Pakistan then it would be the one and only Karachi.

#19 mmz

mmz

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

well, if i were to choose which city to live in, in pakistan, it would defenetly be karachi. Because first of all, i have lived there for 13 years before moving to canada lol....

Islamabad = quite, clean, alittle green city, although the summers with no wind are a killer.

Karachi = alittle bit more dust, not as much clean, sort of new york style people everywhere, and even tho the summers are hot, its still windy, and it makes days of 35+ feel like 30 lol... soo in that sense karachi for sure...

but as to other conditions... you can find schools everywhere, public and private.. they are pretty good schools, especially the one i went to which was a public one. (st. francis school). and like any other place.. it has its good/bad people. and although its an islamic country, raising a good muslim kid is not an easy job there... because before i migrated to canada i was around 12-13 years of age, and i was comming to my senses and i started noticing things which should not be in an islamic state and it really bothered me... like boyfriend/girlfriend stuff .. even boyfriend/boyfriend stuff lol.... anyways i even also started noticing where some young adults would abuse other kids.. physically, emotionally and even sexually...

so interms of moving to pakistan from london because you might think that it will be easier to live in pakistan or raise a kid because its an islamic enviornment... think again lol....

other than that.. you can find great services in karachi... lol theres mcdonalds, kfcs .... but they dont even come close to the street burgers that they sell.... lol hmm spicy.. i must admit my mouth is full of water right now lol....

but again moving from london to pakistan would have some health complications too .. because of the bad enviornment there.. and all of the diseases.... if you lived all your life there, you probably wont get those diseases because your body becomes immune to them.. but if you move, then you have more chance of becomming sick...

but still in the end... like imran said lol if you have $$ you are set lol...

#20 nida05

nida05
  • Advanced Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:reading &amp; researching

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

i can imagine how life can be living so far frm homeland....if ure really serious abt moving to pak,dwell in karachi it will be better for both education and job prospectives.Moreover the fast paced life u guys must be used to of,i know it wont be the same but atleast there will be a feeling of belongingness.....regardless of electricity,water and crimes issues life can turn beautiful here on the account if u want it too.....good luck wid ur endeavours...

#21 Muhammad Imran

Muhammad Imran
  • Advanced Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I take interest in studying Phillosophy and Islamic books. I want to search every time.

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:44 AM

(salam) I wanted to find out from people who are residing in Pakistan and from ones who have emigrated there from other countries. What its like living there i myself go for a holiday but am now thinking about settling out there with my hubby and kids as my husband who came to london after marrying me is now fed up with the country after just 9 years and i am considering it but i want to find out the good and bad points before we decide.
My in laws live in a village in Jhelum but i want to live in a city and so would prefer if people from the citys would give me their experiences.
What is life like, schools, crime, etc.
I would really welcome views from people who have emigrated to pakistan are u happy r u still there or did u come bak?

(salam). It depends up u that what is ur nature, what is ur thinking, what are ur emotions. Pakistan is good place living. You can easily perform ur obligations also religious obligation here.

#22 shamsparty786_110

shamsparty786_110

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

just move to the united states. Move to jersey. We have a very knit shia community.

#23 Bonafide Hustler

Bonafide Hustler

SC lead Admin.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Karachi is really busy, its like NY of Pakistan, the place is dirty in alot of places like NY is, but theres always something to do, whether its night cricket or jus doing somethin late or livin a nice religious life

lahore, ive never been there, i lived in karachi for 12 yaers and 2 things i loved bout karachi was, first food and second jus the poeple there were real man, everyones real there

lahore could be a sick place, but its not as busy as karachi if u like alot of activity

islamabad is really nice if u want to live a quiet life, its the cleanest of the pak big cities, but really islamabad is boring compared to karachi

karachi is not as hot as lahore, cuz theres a sea breeze in karachi, so its always nice at night and windy. in lahore theres alot of LOO, or like hot wind so ive heard

theres too much conjustion in karachi

BUT IF U RICH, u can jus live in defence, that place is like wide open, big mansions and alot of things to do

#24 MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT

MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • Interests:Ya Ali, Ya Hussain

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

Move to Pakistan might be difficult in the beginning but one day when you see your kids grow up to be good azadar.

Not that the opportunity is not there in the west but when it comes to azadari, pakistan rocks.

#25 shamsparty786_110

shamsparty786_110

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

Move to Pakistan might be difficult in the beginning but one day when you see your kids grow up to be good azadar.

Not that the opportunity is not there in the west but when it comes to azadari, pakistan rocks.

I've lived in New Jersey for all 20 years of my life and learned the best forms of azadari. We perform matamdari every thursday, and sunday in new york (al-mehdi). We perform zanjeer zani on every panjatan's shahadat. New York, near jersey, is the only north american area where Imam Ali's juloos was taken out. After every majlis and matam we send hard lanats on the three, with names, and aisha. We have all the azadari you want here in south jersey.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users