Sign in to follow this  
PREACHER

Cupping ? ? ?

Rate this topic

(salam)

How does cupping work? What does it treat?

In a typical cupping session, glass cups are warmed using a cotton ball or other flammable substance, which is soaked in alcohol, let, then placed inside the cup. Burning a substance inside the cup removes all the oxygen, which creates a vacuum.

As the substance burns, the cup is turned upside-down so that the practitioner can place the cup over a specific area. The vacuum created by the lack of oxygen anchors the cup to the skin and pulls it upward on the inside of the glass as the air inside the jar cools. Drawing up the skin is believed to open up the skin's pores, which helps to stimulate the flow of blood, balances and realigns the flow of qi, breaks up obstructions, and creates an avenue for toxins to be drawn out of the body.

Depending on the condition being treated, the cups will be left in place from 5 to 10 minutes. Several cups may be placed on a patient's body at the same time. Some practitioners will also apply small amounts of medicated oils or herbal oils to the skin just before the cupping procedure, which lets them move the cups up and down particular acupoints or meridians after they have been applied.

In China, cupping is used primarily to treat respiratory conditions such as bronchitis, asthma, and congestion; arthritis; gastrointestinal disorders; and certain types of pain. Some practitioners also use cupping to treat depression and reduce swelling. Fleshy sites on the body, such as the back and stomach (and, to a lesser extent, the arms and legs), are the preferred sites for treatment.

How many types of cupping are there?

In addition to the traditional form of cupping described above, which is known as "dry" cupping, some practitioners also use what is called "wet" or "air" cupping.

In "air" cupping, instead of using a flame to heat the cup, the cup is applied to the skin, and a suction pump is attached to the rounded end of the jar. The pump is then used to create the vacuum. In "wet" cupping, the skin is punctured before treatment. When the cup is applied and the skin is drawn up, a small amount of blood may flow from the puncture site, which are believed to help remove harmful substances and toxins from the body.

Is cupping safe? Does it hurt?

While cupping is considered relatively safe (especially air cupping, which does not include the risk of fire and heat), it can cause some swelling and bruising on the skin. As the skin under a cup is drawn up, the blood vessels at the surface of the skin expand. This may result in small, circular bruises on the areas where the cups were applied. These bruises are usually painless, however, and disappear within a few days of treatment.

In addition, there are several instances where cupping should not be performed. Patients with inflamed skin; cases of high fever or convulsions; and patients who bleed easily, are not suitable candidates for cupping. Pregnant women should not have cupping on their stomach or lower back. If the cups are being moved, they should not cross bony areas, such as the ridges of the spine or the shoulder blades.

This is a really good procedure very good relief afterwards especially the "wet" cupping.

I wanted to know is there any ruling in regards to this ???

I have heard from a Sunni brother that in a hadith is it said Prophet Muhammad (saws) used to do this regularly ...

post-25539-1145090061_thumb.jpg

(bismillah)

(salam)

After this, we reached the seventh heaven. While here, whichever Angel we came into contact with said to me, "Perform `cupping' [8] and command your Ummah to do so as well."

From Bihar al-Anwar, Vol. 18, p. 326, Bab 3 - Ithbaat al-Mi`raaj wa ma`anaahu wa kayfiyyatuhu wa sifatuhu wa ma jaraa feehi wa wasf al-buraaq, Hadith 34.

Notes:

[8] Cupping is a form of medical treatment that has been mentioned in various ahadith. For more information on Cupping, see books such as Tibb an‑Nabi, Tibb al‑A'immah. (Tr.)

source: http://www.al-islam.org/al-miraj/22.htm

(salam)

Thanks, may God (swt) reward you .

I was looking for that, you saved me the rouble :D

If anyone from Australia and wants to know someone who does cupping ... let me know ill give u details :D

(salam)

If "cupping" is the same thing as '7ujamah' then it is not only permitted in Islam but also very very recommanded. I never did it and I dont think females do it but I read about it alot,and there are plenty of ahaadith about it and about how beneficial it is etc.. I remember one hadith says that its "najat min al mawt"..

Here are few narrations:

عن الصادق (ع) : الحجامة يوم الأحد فيها شفاء من كل داء.

عن الصادق (ع) : كان النبي (ص) يحتجم يوم الإثنين بعد العصر.

عن الصادق (ع) : إقرأ آية الكرسي واحتجم أي وقت شئت.

عن الصادق (ع) : الحجامة تزيد العقل و تزيد الحافظ حفظاً.

عن الصادق (ع) : الحجامة في الرأس شفاء من سبع : من الجنون و الجذام و البرص و النعاس و وجع الضرس و ظلمة العين و الصداع.

source: makarim al-akhlaaq

There are more narrations in kitaab 6ib al2a2immah and 3ilal alshara2i3...

(salam)

Edited by al-hawraa

^ A friend of mine (female) has done it. I don't think it helped her much though. Anyway, what exactly are the benefits of cupping? (sorry can't read arabic, if the benefits are mentioned in what you posted)

wasalaam

(salam)

The benefits of Cupping therapy are endless. Due to its stimulating and strengthening effects cupping has been used successfully to treat all of the following: bowel conditions (IBS, constipation and diarrhoea), headaches, back pain, arthritis, period pain, injuries, asthma, cellulite, fatigue (ME), anaemia, depression and emotional problems, atrophy, sciatica, common cold and flu, skin problems, blood pressure, ladies problems, weight loss, and more.

Cupping affects all the above by means of the pull of low pressure, causing an increase in blood circulation, a rise in skin temperature, the promotion of metabolism within the skin tissue, better functioning of sweat and sebaceous glands, and removing stagnant, old blood.

The effects have a remarkable effect on stiff and aching muscles, activating secretion of synovial fluids which releases joint stiffness. Cupping also increases peristaltic movements and the secretion of digestive fluids.

What is hijaamah (cupping) and how do you perform it?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The word hijaamah (cupping) comes for the word hajm which means sucking, as in the phrase hajama al-sabiy thadya ummihi (the infant suckled his mother’s breast). Al-Hajjaam means the cupper, hijaamah is the profession of cupping, and the word mihjam is used to describe the vessel in which the blood is collected and the lancet used by the cupper. (See Lisaan al-‘Arab).

In fiqh terminology the word hijaamah is applied by some scholars to the extraction of blood from the nape of the neck by means of cupping after making an incision with the lancet. Al-Zarqaani stated that cupping is not limited to the nape of the neck, rather it may be done on any part of the body. This was also the view of al-Khattaabi.

In conclusion, hijaam refers to the extraction of blood from the body by means of cupping using a suitable vessel or whatever modern equipment serves the same purpose.

Cupping was known since ancient times. It was known to the Chinese, the Babylonians and the Pharaohs. Their relics and carved images indicate that they used cupping to treat some diseases. At first they used metal cups or bulls’ horns, from which they would remove the air by sucking it out after placing the cup on the skin. Then they used glass cups from which they would remove the air by burning a piece of cotton or wool inside the cup.

Virtues of cupping:

Al-Bukhaari narrated in his Saheeh (5269) from Sa’eed ibn Jubayr from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Healing is in three things: drinking honey, the incision of a cupper, and cauterizing with fire, but I forbid my ummah to use cauterizing.”

Al-Bukhaari (5263) and Muslim (2952) narrated that Anas ibn Maalik was asked about the earnings of the cupper, and he said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was treated with cupping by Abu Taybah. He ordered that he should be given two saa’ of food, and he spoke with his masters so that they reduced what they used to take from his earnings. And he said: “The best medicine with which you treat yourselves is cupping, or it is one of the best of your medicines.”

It was narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “If there is anything good in the medicines with which you treat yourselves, it is in the incision of the cupper, or a drink of honey or cauterization with fire, but I do not like to be cauterized.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6583; Muslim, 2205).

Benefits of cupping:

Cupping has real benefits in treating many diseases, past and present. The diseases which have been treated by cupping and for which it has been of benefit by Allaah’s Leave include the following:

1- Circulatory diseases

2- Treating blood pressure and infection of the heart muscle

3- Diseases of the chest and trachea

4- Headache and pains in the eyes

5- Pain in the neck and stomach, and rheumatic pain in the muscles

6- Some diseases of the heart and chest, and pain in the joints

In addition, cupping may offer a unique treatment which may reduce pain, and it does not have any side-effects.

How cupping is done:

The mouth of the cupping vessel (nowadays they use glass vessels) is placed on the skin at the site chosen for cupping. Then the cupper rarefies the air inside the vessel by burning a small piece of paper or cotton inside the vessel, so that the mouth of the vessel will cling to the skin. Sometimes a machine is used instead of the method described above. The vessel clings to the skin and is left for a period of three to ten minutes. Then it is lifted off and a very small incision is made in the skin using a clean sharp instrument such as a razor blade or the like. Then the cup is put back in the same manner as described above, until it is filled with the bad blood that comes out of the veins. Then it is taken off, and may be put back once more if needed. When it is finished and the cup is taken away, a dry dressing is placed over the site of the incision. (See Mabaahith fi’l-Jaraahah al-Sughra wa’l-Takhdeer by Prof. Dr. Nazmi al-Qabbaani).

Before ending we should point out that no one should undertake cupping except one who can do it well, because of the harm that may result if it is done by one who is incompetent. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

I just done cupping like 20 minutes ago ... its fantastic. really helps a little painful depending on what technique is used but NO PAIN NO GAIN.. overall its great.

Guest SayedM'sSister

(bismillah)

(salam)

I dont really understand what cupping is either :unsure:

(salam)

I just done cupping like 20 minutes ago ... its fantastic. really helps a little painful depending on what technique is used but NO PAIN NO GAIN.. overall its great.

what exactly do they do to you...? The articles don't really make sense to me .... :unsure:

WaSalam

Guest THE GUARDIAN OF FAITH

First time I heard of this procedure. It seems very interesting.

Guys, the benefits are it treats certian conditions and gives you relief as mentioned.

Ws, Sah

(bismillah)

(salam)

How cupping is carried out:

The site on the body chosen for Hijama is first shaved to ensure a tight seal with the cup. The mouth of a cup (metal, glass and plastic cups are generally used, although traditionally horns were used) is placed on the skin at the site chosen for cupping (alternatively leeches can be used). Then a tight seal is created, generally by burning a small piece of paper or cotton inside the vessel, so that the mouth of the cup clings to the skin. Alternatively a machine can be used instead of the method described above. The cup is left to cling to the skin for a few minutes, then it is lifted off and a couple of very small incisions are made in the skin, normally with a razor blade. The cup is then put back as it was before until it is filled with the bad blood that comes out of the veins. This blood is generally either black or very dark red, and is clearly distinguishable from the patient's normal blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijama

From Imām al-Ridā in al-Risāla al-Dhahabiya (golden medical dissertation):

"So if you like cupping, then let that be between twelve and fifteen nights of the crescent, for it is better for your body. When the month decreases, do not use cupping except when you are forced to do that. That is because the blood decreases according to the decrease of the crescent, and it increases according to its increase; and cupping must be equal to the years which pass: one who is twenty years of age must apply cupping every twenty days; one who is thirty years old, must use cupping every thirty days; one who is forty years of age must use cupping every forty days, and so on.

"And know, O Commander of the faithful, that the blood of cupping is taken from the small veins spreading in the flesh; and the proof of that is what I have mentioned that it does not weaken strength as bloodletting does; and the cupping of al-nuqura[a hole in the back four fingers above the neck vertebras] is useful for the heaviness of the head; and the cupping of al-akhda'ayn[two veins in the back of the neck to the right and left of it] gives rest to the head, the face, and the eyes, and it is useful to tooth-ache; and perhaps bloodletting replaces all of that; and one may use cupping under the chin in order to treat al-qalda'[ulcer in the skin of the mouth and tongue] in the mouth, the corruption of the gum, and other mouth aches. Similarly, the cupping between the two shoulders is useful to the beating which results from fullness and heat, and that which placed on the two legs may decrease the fullness with a clear decrease, and it is useful to chronic aches in the kidneys, bladders, and wombs, and it makes menstruation flow abundantly, but it exhausts the body, and a severe haze may stems from it, but it is necessary for those who have blisters and abscesses.

"Gentle sucking decreases the pain of cupping when one places the cupping glasses; and then he graduates the sucking a little more; the sucking in the second (cupping) must be more than the first, and so must be the third, and so on. He must stop slashing until the place has become red through repeating the cupping glasses across it. He must softens the lancets across soft skins; and he must massage the place with some ointment before he slashes it; so must he do during bloodletting, for such an act decreases pain. He must also soften the lancet during cupping; and when he has finished it, he must soften the place with some ointment and drips onto the veins some of it lest they should disappear and harm the phlebotomized. The phelbotomist should bleed the veins in the places where flesh is little, for the little flesh on the veins decreases pain; and the most painful vein when bled is habl al-dhirā' [the vein which extends from the forearm upwards] and al-qifāl [the vein which appears at the elbow], for they are connected with the upper arm and this skin is solid. As for al-bāsaliq [the outward vein from the elbow to the forearm] (basilic vein)and al-akkhal, they are less painful when bled if there is no flesh on them. It is obligatory to apply hot water to the place of bloodletting, that the blood may appear, especially in winter, for it softens the skin and decreases pain and makes easy bloodletting. During all what we have mentioned regarding bringing forth blood, it is obligatory to refrain from women twelve hours before that.

"One must use cupping on a clear day on which there is neither clouds nor strong winds; and he must bring forth blood equals to its change which he sees. Do not enter the bathroom immediately, for it gives rise to illness; and pour warm water on your head and body, but do not do that soon.

"Be weary of taking a bath when you apply cupping, for chronic fever stems from it. If you wash yourself off (the blood) of cupping, take a downy piece of cloth or a soft, silk garment or the like and put it on the places of your cupping; and take an amount equal to a chick-pea of al-tiryāq al-akbar [one of the ancient drugs] and drink it when winter; and if it is summer, then drink honey oxymel and mix it with the gladdening, moderate drink, and have it, or with fruit juice. If that is difficult, then drink citron (juice). If you do not find anything, then have it (citron) after you have chewed under the teeth and drink after it a mouthful of lukewarm water; and if that is in the time of winter and cold, then drink after it some honey oxymel, for if you do that, you will be safe from facial paralysis, vitiligo, and leprosy with the permission of Allah, the Exalted; and suck pomegranate, for it strengthens soul and renews the blood; and do not eat salty food after that for three hours, for that may bring about mange; and if you like, then eat (the meat) of dull-yellow partridges (al-tahāiyijj), that is when you have used cupping; and drink after it some of the purified drink which I have mentioned at outset; and massage (your body) with al-Khayri ointment or with some of musk and rose water; and pour on your head some of it as soon as you have finished cupping.

"As for summer, when you apply cupping, then eat al-sakkbajj [soup along with vinegar], al-halām [al-sakkbajj which is purified from fat or it is the meat of cows and calves and goats which is boiled in salty water; and then the boiled meat is taken out and mixed with the boiled vegetables along with vinegar] al-masūs [meat which is cooked and placed into vinegar or it is the meat of birds.], and the sour; and pour on your head violet oil mixed with rose water and some camphor; and drink after your food some of that drinks which I have prescribed to you; and be careful of abundant movement, anger, and having an intercourse with women on the same day."

In this part of the dissertation, the Imām, peace be on him, has presented cupping which causes great advantages to the body, returns activity to it, and drives away from it illnesses and diseases; it is the greatest of all prescriptions and most successful of them in treating those who have high blood pressure, for the blood during it comes out of the small veins spreading in flesh, as the Imām says, and this does not cause weakness to the body. The Imām has mentioned some diseases which are treated with cupping. They are as follows:

A. Tooth and gum congestion.

B. The chronic diseases of the kidney, the bladder, and the womb.

C. The paucity of menstruation.

D. Blisters and abscesses.

The Imām has described the operation of cupping and fully understood it, what one should use after it, the foods and drinks from which he should refrain.

Similarly the Imām has presented bloodletting and mentioned the veins which should be bled such as habl al-dhirā' and al-qifāl; he has also mentioned some refreshing drinks which should be drunk after it and warned against some foods which bring about dangers.

http://www.balagh.net/english/ahl_bayt/ali..._al_rida/13.htm

asalamu alaykum

ive tried cupping im doing it now , :Pthe cup is stuck on my stomach but one thing , is there suposeto be a lit of blood ? coz itsvery very little blood or are we supose to make a serious wound ? i made maybe 4 small ones which bleed without cup

please any one explain

asalamu alaykum

ive tried cupping im doing it now , :Pthe cup is stuck on my stomach but one thing , is there suposeto be a lit of blood ? coz itsvery very little blood or are we supose to make a serious wound ? i made maybe 4 small ones which bleed without cup

please any one explain

Never do this again! You never do cupping to yourself unless you're an expert and know the exact right places etc..Dont play with this...and I dont think it will help when you do cupping on your stomach,its usually on the back,on the back of the neck,on the leg..However DONT try it yourself,let someone who knows well how to do it,to do it for you..

(salam)

asalamu alaykum

:( why didnt any one mention that earlier :squeez:

i tried doing it on my back , but , i could gget a wound there i wasnt able to reach :blush:

is there possibility of bad damage if ive done it myself and failed miserably ? :Hijabi:

(salam)

I have done Hijaamah here in the U.A.E a few times and i feel that it does help. It gets rid of the 'bad' blood (or that's what is said:))

If anyone wants the address in sharjah, PM me, and i will let you know. It's a German Physio who is a revert to Islam, who does it and is quite experienced.

Like with all medicinal practises, don't expect immediate results though... it's a continuous process, and Insha Allah it will contribute towards a healthy life.

(salam)

Several years ago I read an article about hijamah and how the holy Prophet (pbuh) did perform it and the numberous health benefit of it.

Does anyone know of any places that offers such a service here in the US?

wassalam.

MohammadReza

(salam)

How do you check the qualification of the person carryong out the cupping? Additionally, is it covered as a medical practice, or is it one if those 'extras', rather like herbal medication?

Wa'Salaam

عن الصادق (ع) : الحجامة يوم الأحد فيها شفاء من كل داء

عن الصادق (ع) : كان النبي (ص) يحتجم يوم الإثنين بعد العصر

عن الصادق (ع) : إقرأ آية الكرسي واحتجم أي وقت شئت

عن الصادق (ع) : الحجامة تزيد العقل و تزيد الحافظ حفظاً

عن الصادق (ع) : الحجامة في الرأس شفاء من سبع : من الجنون و الجذام و البرص و النعاس و وجع الضرس و ظلمة العين و الصداع

Translation:

Imam Al-Sadiq said: Cupping on a Sunday will cure every disease

Imam Al-Sadiq said: The prophet (pbuh) used to perform cupping every Monday in the afternoon.

Imam Al-Sadiq said: Cupping will sharpen the intellect and strengthen the memory.

Imam Al-Sadiq said: Preforming cupping on your head will cure seven problems: insanity, leprosy, sleepiness, tooth-ache, impaired-vision and headaches.

me and my mum have migraine...so she was recommended to do this to reduce her headaches..she did it once..but i think you have to do it every once in a while for it to take any effect....a friend of hers did it for her...i want to do it but it looked really painful.. :cry:

Edited by jennah

(salam)

You shouldnt do cupping to yourself .. not a good idea ;)

Id like to know whther the cupping done by the Rasoul (saws) was blood cupping or air cupping?

and wether any cupping is recommended to do ... doesnt really direct you to the right cupping procedure.

anyway i do both .. so nothign to worry about :P

Pretty hard for a female to do cupping though not much cupping experts who are females.... check with your local physiotherapist because cupping is an extra course they can do which sometimes they dont even tell you they have ..

(salam)

Wow! I was with a friend a few days back, and she was telling another friend (who is terribly underweight) about this to help increase her appetite. She didn't mention anything about making incisions and letting out blood though. Guess she was talking about the "air cupping".

And although I always read about the A'immah (as) getting blood drawn out of their veins, I never bothered to ask anyone what exactly this entailed. The neck part seems a bit risky.

Zahra

(salam)

Bro bimic what are the references for those hadith? thanks.

ws

He translated the ahadith that I typed in my earlier post,and I mentioned the source there...its the book "makarim al akhlaaq"..section "al7ujamah"..

(salam)