Imam Hussain's daughters

34 replies to this topic

#1 YaSiN51214

YaSiN51214

tHe 0ne aNd oNLy....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy talking to new people and getting to know the muslim people in my community. I especially enjoy listening to Sura Yasin[hence the user name;)] and dua tawassal. Getting to know more about my religion and expanding my knowledge, striving to be on the right path is an interest to me and is my duty as a muslim.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

(salam) ,

I have read in many books and what not, that Imam Hussain (as) longed for a daughter. He even prayed to his mother, Bibi Fatima (as) to bless him with a daughter that would bring peace [sukoon] in to his life. And hence after that prayer, Bibi Sakina (as) was born. Now what i dont get is....before Bibi Sakina, Imam Hussain (as) had another daughter named Sughra. Sughra was his first daughter...so why didnt Imam Hussain (as) name this first daughter 'sakina'? and actually didnt he have another daughter named Ruqaya?...or is that just another name for Sakina?...well anyways, my main question is...if Imam Hussain (as) had a daughter first [i.e.Bibi Sughra], then why didnt he just name her "Sakina"?, or why was he praying for another daughter when he already had one?

#2 Perfectionist

Perfectionist

Ya Ali Madad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Religion:Real Shia

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:49 PM

Good Question !

#3 rahat

rahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

Perhaps he performed these prayers before the birth of his first daughter.

-
rahat

#4 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

Alhamdulilah ala niamat al Islam

• Mods
  • 4,831 posts
  • Interests:Islam, politics, history, soccer, philosophy, law

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:46 PM

Even if he did, how would it make a difference?

wasalam

#5 Fatimaa

Fatimaa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

(bismillah) (salam)
^ I think there should be lot difference between both daughters and as the brother said Why he didn't named her SAKINA?
Can we ahve any reference brother rahat. :)

Wassalam.

#6 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

Alhamdulilah ala niamat al Islam

• Mods
  • 4,831 posts
  • Interests:Islam, politics, history, soccer, philosophy, law

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

No, I meant, even if he prayed for a daughter before the birth of fatima sughra, why wouldn't he have named HER sakina?

#7 Fatimaa

Fatimaa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

No, I meant, even if he prayed for a daughter before the birth of fatima sughra, why wouldn't he have named HER sakina?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[hehe] i was refering to Brother rahat's post....

And yes my question is same if he was praying for daughter and he got why he named her Fatima sughra?hmm May be coz she resembled Bibi Fatima Zehra (as) so he named her this and then asked for another daughter who could bring peace [sukoon] in to his life...
Strickly My opinion....sorry if i m wrong anywhere.

Wassalam.

#8 xDSL

xDSL

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

(salam)

(bismillah)
good questions!.

Rugayah is another name for Sakinah. So, Sakinah = Rugayah.

1st daughter named Fatimah. as you know, Imam hussein a.s. mother is Bibi Fatimah. So...? This is what we called as LOVED. same as his sons. Ali, Ali, Ali.... where he get? :)

#9 A true Sunni

A true Sunni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

salaam,
Ruqayya was also the daughter of Hz Ali(as) via Umul Baneen

#10 Il Nino

Il Nino

Muharram is over!

• Banned
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:04 AM

I have read in many books and what not, that Imam Hussain as.gif longed for a daughter. He even prayed to his mother, Bibi Fatima as.gif to bless him with a daughter that would bring peace [sukoon] in to his life. And hence after that prayer, Bibi Sakina as.gif was born. Now what i dont get is....before Bibi Sakina, Imam Hussain as.gif had another daughter named Sughra. Sughra was his first daughter...so why didnt Imam Hussain as.gif name this first daughter 'sakina'? and actually didnt he have another daughter named Ruqaya?...or is that just another name for Sakina?...well anyways, my main question is...if Imam Hussain as.gif had a daughter first [i.e.Bibi Sughra], then why didnt he just name her "Sakina"?, or why was he praying for another daughter when he already had one?

they were both twins, 6 yr old each at 61 h , ya dig? :D

#11 YaSiN51214

YaSiN51214

tHe 0ne aNd oNLy....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy talking to new people and getting to know the muslim people in my community. I especially enjoy listening to Sura Yasin[hence the user name;)] and dua tawassal. Getting to know more about my religion and expanding my knowledge, striving to be on the right path is an interest to me and is my duty as a muslim.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

^^ um no, not really :unsure:

#12 Fatimaa

Fatimaa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

they were both twins, 6 yr old each at 61 h , ya dig? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bibi Sakina was 4 year old at kerbala(according to many rivayaat nad majalis we hear)...I never heard about they being twins...are u sure :huh:
Same what i ask to everyone Can we have the source..not the statements only please brother. :)

Wassalam.

#13 Laleh

Laleh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

Bibi Sakina was 4 year old at kerbala(according to many rivayaat nad majalis we hear)...I never heard about they being twins...are u sure :huh:
Same what i ask to everyone Can we have the source..not the statements only please brother. :)

Wassalam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its amazing how there is always something new to be learnt about the Infallibles (as) I never knew he prayed for teh birth of bibi sakina (as) or that bibi zainab (as) used to tell her so in zindaan e shaam

I generally read this ziaraat of the masooma (as) I wondered if other people know about it as well.
u can find it at
www.ziarrat.com under section damascus.

Not that i`ve been there but apparently,also in damscus are buried janab e Fiza,janab e sughra,bibi zainab and i think umme kulsum (as)

correct me if i am wrong.

#14 Devout

Devout

Real eyes realize real lies

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Religion:Islam
  • Interests:Life

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

(bismillah)

(salam)

I know I'm about to revive a thread from 2006 but there is something I really need a straight answer to and it was related to this thread so I figured it's better to revive an old one than open a new one.

Anyway, how many daughters did Imam Hussain (as) have? A straight answer, sources would be great.

I've heard soo many different answers to this. Some say he had 4 daughters( and that roqaya was the 4th), some day he had one daughter (sakina & roqaya being the same), some say he had 3 (and that fatima sughra didn't accompany him to karbala because she was ill) etc etc and sayed mahdi al-Modaressi says in his 9th night of muharram 2010 lecture that he had 5 daughters.. and that roqaya was the 3 yearold and youngest one
I've tried to do research on the matter but with no luck, I suppose my keywords & search engines aren't meant for this.. :unsure:

Pleaseeee help

#15 Rohani

Rohani

A Scholar is like a candle burning out to give others light.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts
  • Religion:Ahle Tashayyu
  • Interests:Philosophy, Hawzah, Spending time with my wife :)

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

(salam)

^there are only two daughters listed in Al Irshad By: Shaykh Al Mufeed.

Sukayna (May Peace and Mercy from Allah be Upon)
And Fatima (May Peace and Mercy from Allah be Upon)

(wasalam)

Edited by AlMuttaqi, 25 May 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#16 Sehnsucht

Sehnsucht

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

(salam)

Based on the ahadith stating that the son of Imam Hasan (as), Hasan Muthanna (as), asked for the hand of one of his uncle's daughters in marriage, it appears that Imam Hussain (as) had at least two daughters... Fatima (sa) and Sakina (sa); it is likely that the proper name of both was Fatima, but the younger one was referred to as Sakina. A daughter named Fatima was undoubtedly present in Karbala, who had her ankle rings looted (as-Saduq, Amali, p. 99, majlis 31. al-Thahbi, Siyar A’lam al-Nubala', Vol. 3, p. 204.)

As for Sakina (sa):
According to p. 163, Vol. 1, of al-Nawawi's Tahthib al-Asma', p. 58, Vol. 1, of al-Manawi's book Al-Kawakib al-Durriyya, p. 160 of al-Shiblinji's Nur al-Absar, and Ibn Khallikan's Wafiyyat al-A’yan, where the author details her biography, Sukayna daughter of al-Husain (‘a) died on a Thursday, Rabi’ I 5, 117 A.H./April 8, 735 A.D. According to Abul-Hasan al-’Amri's book Al-Mujdi and to al-Tabarsi's book I’lam al-Wara, p. 127, where the biographies of the offspring of Imam al-Hasan (‘a) are discussed. According to p. 163, Vol. 12, of Abul-Faraj al-Ishfahani's book Al-Aghani, she married her cousin, ‘Abdullah Ibn al-Hasan Ibn ‘Ali Ibn Abu Talib (‘a), who was killed during the Battle of al-Taff. She did not bear any children by him. But the author of I’lam al-Wara says that he was killed before her marriage, that during the Battle of al-Taff, she was a little more than ten years old, and that she was born before the death [martyrdom] of her uncle Imam al-Hasan (‘a). The statement in her honour made by the Master of Martyrs (‘a), “Sukayna is overcome by deep contemplation upon Allah,” as is recorded by al-Sabban in his book Is’af al-Raghibin, clearly outlines for us the status his daughter occupied in the sacred canons of Islam's Shari’a.
source: Maqtal al Husayn by Syed Muqarram

^ If she is recorded to have married the son of Imam Hasan (as), the daughter mentioned here would presumably be the elder Fatima, as the ahadith about Hasan Muthanna (as)'s marriage indicate that Imam Hussain (as) told him to marry her because his younger daughter, Sakina, was devoted to worship as the last line mentions (couldn't find the direct source of the hadith about the marriage, but it's supposed to be in Nafasul Mahmum). Given the probable ages of Fatima (sa) and Sakina (sa), and that Sakina bintal Hussain (sa) has been recorded in some places as having lived a long life or become a transmitter of ahadith, it seems that Ruqayyah (sa)- the child who died in the prison of Damascus and is saluted by our Imam (atf) in ziyarah, was a different daughter altogether; some cite her as being the daughter of Hadhrat Muslim ibne Aqil (as). Also, Sukaina is a dimunitive of Sakina... so it's possible that Fatima (sa) and Sakina (sa) were the elder daughters, while Ruqayyah was a younger daughter known as Sukaina. This also somewhat makes sense alongside reports that mention a Fatima al-Kubra and Fatima al-Sughra, the latter of whom is listed in some places by name as being the wife of Hasan Muthanna (as).

Here are a few ambiguous but interesting sites:
http://docs.google.c...PlwYZaQjzUL6LeA
http://www.alimoula110.com/woman2.php
http://en.rafed.net/...erah&Itemid=849

#17 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,679 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

(salam),
You might find this useful:
http://www.al-islam....mahmum/45.htm#1

wa (salam)

#18 3UINE KARBALAIE

3UINE KARBALAIE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

(salam) ,

I have read in many books and what not, that Imam Hussain (as) longed for a daughter. He even prayed to his mother, Bibi Fatima (as) to bless him with a daughter that would bring peace [sukoon] in to his life. And hence after that prayer, Bibi Sakina (as) was born. Now what i dont get is....before Bibi Sakina, Imam Hussain (as) had another daughter named Sughra. Sughra was his first daughter...so why didnt Imam Hussain (as) name this first daughter 'sakina'? and actually didnt he have another daughter named Ruqaya?...or is that just another name for Sakina?...well anyways, my main question is...if Imam Hussain (as) had a daughter first [i.e.Bibi Sughra], then why didnt he just name her "Sakina"?, or why was he praying for another daughter when he already had one?

Are you talking about Fatima al Aleela or Fatima al Saghyra?

As far as I know its

Sakayna
Fatima al Aleela
Rugaya

#19 Panzerwaffe

Panzerwaffe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

sukayna is the right way to pronounce it not sakina

#20 Ali_Hussain

Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

The story sounds a bit dodgy to me, why would someone as pure as Imam Hussain (as) need "pray to his mother (as)". At least rephrase that bit, is He also to sinfull to ask Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì directly, good to know it doesn't just apply to us.
Also some say all his (as) sons where called Ali, all his daughters where called Fatima, they where defined by being called akbar asghar kobra etc. How ever the issue of why He (as) was called aba abdallah is also debatable some say His (as) youngest son was known as abdallah

#21 Haydar Husayn

Haydar Husayn

• Mods
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

I have read in many books and what not, that Imam Hussain (as) longed for a daughter. He even prayed to his mother, Bibi Fatima (as) to bless him with a daughter that would bring peace [sukoon] in to his life. And hence after that prayer, Bibi Sakina (as) was born.

Did you really mean to write that?

#22 MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT

MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • Interests:Ya Ali, Ya Hussain

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Imam Ali already had Imam Hassan and Imam Hussain as sons. Why did he ask for Hazrat Abbas?? Same logic also applies to this Hz Sakina issue.

#23 Haydar Husayn

Haydar Husayn

• Mods
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

I still can't believe there were so many replies before anyone even touched on the issue of Imam Hussain (as) praying to his mother to bless him with a daughter. Do none of you really see a problem with this, or you don't think it's even worth pointing out? I mean, from my point of view this is accusing Imam Hussain (as) of committing shirk, even if that is not what the original poster meant to do. Meanwhile, the rest of you don't even bat an eyelid.

What made it worse was it was phrased as 'he even prayed to his mother', as if praying to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì wasn't working, so out of desperation he prayed to his mother instead. I think what this shows is that for some people the line between seeking intersession from someone and praying to them has become hopelessly blurred.

#24 rabbfatima

rabbfatima

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Religion:eshgh e fatemeh [j.j]
  • Interests:Akhbari shi'ism

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

imam hussain j.j had 3 daughters

fatima kubra s.a
fatima sughra s.a
sakina = sukain= ruqaiya a.s

there is no logic of asking this question ,
why did he pray for a daughter , if he already had [ 2 daughters?]?

there is no HARM or PROBLEM or any ISSUE , if he asks to have a daughter , who could bring peace to him
and this hadis is MEANT TO SHOW THE FAZEELAT OF hazrat ruqaiya a.s

hope that answers it

#25 xstatik2

xstatik2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

imam hussain j.j

What does j.j. stand for here ? Your reply is most anxiously awaited.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users