Ali

To improve ShiaChat.com... [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Guest Razashan

1 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I Would Add Quick Edit

2 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I Would Add center in the Add Reply

3 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I Would Add Gender Field in the Bottom of Member No.

4 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I would Add More Emotions

5 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I Would Add Picture Gallery

6 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I would Change the Attachment Size to 750 KB

7 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I Would Change the Location Field Maximum Characters to 30

8 To Improve ShiaChat.com, I would Change the Avatar Maximum Size to 120x50

Reply from Admin:

1/ V2.1 would have that.

2/ I think V2.1 would have that as well. If not, Use the [ center] command for now.

3/ Not necessary and requires a Mod.

4/ There are enough. What little we have is already being abused.

5/ We're thinking about it, but there are already Islamic picture galleries out there.

6/ Members shouldn't be uploading pictures that large. It'll take up space on the server that could be used for something usefull. It's easy to shrink pictures and we encourage it before uploading.

7/ Done

8/ No, this is a discussion forum and it shouldn't be filled with huge avatars, it'll take attention away from the discussions.

`Ali

Edited by Ali

(bismillah)

(salam)

To improve ShiaChat I would:

-seriously consider 'remodeling' the Shia/Sunni forum in terms of making it more decent and constructive. The Shia/Sunni forum is the no1 reason I have not invited any of my non-shia friends to this site, because I know it would do me/them more bad than good to be fully honest. There's alot of valuable info but it gets camouflaged by rude/respectless behaviour- I would like to know how important the ShiaChat Crew considers it to follow the policy of our maraje when it comes to comparative faith dialogues? Not to mention to reflect the virtue of Ahlul Bayt...I think I know the answer to that...

-I would also put greater effort at ensuring that the Iraq forum is more than a constant fight between shia/sunni haters. I feel a lot of responsibility towards that forum, but I had to stop posting there for a while because it made me uncomfortable with all hatred that was displayed. Still there are people who actually want the forum to be constructive and respectful, though many of them left...

I think it would be a good idea to have moderators there regularly, and maybe also involve some members at balancing things further.

-About the point Zareen brought up on Mutah related topics...I think it could be a good idea to have a sub-forum like she said where threads get trashed after a while...OR one could do a Sticky Mutah101(highlight it or sth lol) + a comprehensive FAQ section and at the end neatly provide links for all mutah related threads that are available(people tend to have difficulties searching themselves)...I think this is better than creating a new forum. (The polygami sticky FAQ created by wilayah could also be upgraded with more info, perhaps it could be good for those who are less familiar to Islam?)

-All in all I would try and confine more formal language(or rather decent) to the main- and comparative faith forums so people don't get stimulated to transform ShiaChat into TeenChat.com... : /

Ahh, yeah one other thing...it would be valuable to make the media and online books more noticeable.

Ok, this was my constructive criticism for now :)

Wa salam

Reply from Admin:

Salams,

With regards to both the first and second points, I can't stress enough how hard it would be to control such forums. The only possible way to control it is to set real-time moderating on, which means, when someone posts, their post does not show up until approved my a moderator. Can you imagine the pain the moderators have to go through and how slow these forums will be to discuss in, especially when they're our bussiest forums. As you can imagine, this will not work.

The only other way is to set heavy moderation, which we're in the process of doing. Inshallah new and more moderators will be chosen to control these forums in the next few weeks.

As for the Muta thread. Make this thread and I will happily pin it. It doesn't have to be us doing all the work :)

With regards to language, if you noticed, we do not allow any offtopic material be posted in the general forums that are usually where the more serious members hang. This means that the kids and the junk they write is limited to the off-topic forums. Simply avoiding these forums will help you avoid this mess.

For your last suggestion, re: media and online books. This is why Ali_Imran has been added to the Dev. team. He already worked on a new design for us and it will be up soon.

`Ali

Edited by Ali

Guest Razashan

To Improve ShiaChat.com, I Would Add This Mod >>> Remove Old Move to: links >>> http://www.ipbmods.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=82957

and

Mod>>> Send PM on Topic Move or Delete>>>> http://www.ipbmods.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=82861 :)

And the Ali Imran's Location Field has more than 30 Chareacters and Hasnain, too

This looks Very :squeez:

Reply from Admin:

As stated previously, I'd like to avoid using mods. Please read where I explained why on this thread.

Wa salam

`Ali

Edited by Ali

(bismillah)

(salam)

1/ To improve shiachat, you should make the pages automatically refresh every couple of sec's. Someones already mentioned this but I just want to put emphasis on that particular thing.

2/ Secondly, I would introduce a new forum in the forum list. This forum would bring back to life the old topics that have good importance and have important unanswered quesitons and points. They would just be a few like an old 'hot' temporary marriage topic or a popular black thursday topic.

3/ I'd also suggest that more attention be payed to topics and posts by the shia particularly that more or less have little or no meaning/benefit. Take the topic "WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT UMAR?" for example.

I'm only saying the Shia in particular becuase they seem to be moderated more loosely.

No offence to anyone, and criticism I welcome (better to pm or something) :)

WsWrWb

StriveR

Reply from Admin:

1/ I already said that this would not be feasible and would crash the server, so it would not happen.

2/ This has been previously considered and still might be done, however, who wants to sort through 1 million posts?

3/ Read my response to the brother above. Same applies here.

Wa salam

Edited by Ali

(salam)

To improve ShiaChat.com I think it would be good if the way the trashed topics are consistent

The mods sometimes look at WHO is posting the topic rather than WHAT they are posting, cos sometimes a topic gets trashed but another topic which is simliar doesnt.

Reply from Admin

That's the whole point. If a member is never serious and always posts in trash, then most likely they'll remain to be targeted and their posts be trashed. If a serious members posts one trash once in a while, of-course the mods will let it slip. Think of it as a reward system. You abuse it, you'll get abused.

`Ali

Edited by Ali

Just a few things which may be worth considering:

1, fix broken windows and adopt a zero tolerance approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows

2, get rid of bad posters who keep returning with new nicks after being banned by deleting their posts (not threads!). i think u got rid of anti mason using a similar method.

3, if the site become to big to moderate then u could cap the total number of members until things become easier.

4, have a good FAQ setion for a few topics that get bought up a lot and the mods should be aware of this section and should redirect any new topics to the FAQ. the FAQ could be used for those oft repeated topics that slander islam and muslims without much evidence.

i know u are doing this to a certain extent by closing these new threads and asking people to search the forum.

5, Have mods that lead by example and do not break rules eg:

bar umar lanat beshumar

da modz will make u repent  :lol: ....

trus me...been der dun dat

hey - not all mods are 'qassars :mad:

6, do dua for the site.

7, have professional mods? if you have enough funds. Because new mods do a good job for a couple of months and then dont bother. There could be other ways to achieve this.

(bismillah)

(salam)

To improve Shiachat, there should be a random Hadith of the Day or something similar, from a Shia site (preferrably approved by a marja for authentic hadith)....

wa'salam

1) I would create a mutah subforum. For whatever reason it is a very popular topic on a daily basis. Having them all in one subforum would avoid repeat topics

2) I would have more competitions and be more creative in them.

3) I would find a real doctor for the Ask the Doctors forum

4) I would fix the online Quran

5) I would add more to the media section

6) Streamline the Politics forum, no need for 3 subforums

(salam)

To improve ShiaChat.com, I would put in spell check. I am very serious. People here don't post in proper English and that reflects badly on us Muslims. It has happend more than once that a non- Muslim has taunted us about how "we can't even spell". Personally too, I find it very irritating when people don't pay attention to the spellings in their posts. I always try to spell correctly and not doing so shows us in a bad light.

I would also improve the Search feature. It’s really not up to the mark. It has happened many times that I put in a word and search the whole forum and get no results at all and when I select a sub-forum to search, it does throw up quite a few threads. So now, if I have a question and I don’t know exactly where such a question must have been asked previously, the search option won’t be of any use at all and I will have to make a new thread, thus wasting space.

First of all congratualtions on having such a wonderful site.

Just a few suggestions.

- Perhaps a little accountabilty when threads are moved to trash, I know a lot of them its fairly obvious but sometimes I'm not entirely sure

- Host the books locally, on rare occasiosn due to problems with other sites I have not been able to access them

- Just to back up Sis Whizbees comments on the search, it seems very poor. Is it not possible to incoorporate Google using a site filter to dispaly the results?

- Crack down harder on the anti- other religions snetiment that a lot of the Shias here seem happy to psot, yet when somebody makes anything vaguely ant-shai they seem to be cracked down upon really hard.

Edited by Bollywood_Hero

Assalamalaikum,

Don't allow men in the sisters forum or sisters in the brothers forum. Don't allow women to make topics in the brothers forum or vice versa. Don't allow female mods in the brothers forum or male mod's in the sisters forum. To add to previous suggestion add a grammar check to that spell check.

Salams

To greatly improve shiachat, we need fitna mongers, who are known to just create fitna and attack people banned, and that means touger moderation, we need neutral moderators, who will not ban based on group of mrje3, there are people openly cursing the islamic government, and the resistance, and creating fitna in everypost the make, and they roam freely, while the brothers and sisters, truly working for this site, and its members, are banned and suspended. An inside source informed me that the mods want to get rid of all hardcore wilayatees, :mad: :mad: .

Thank your for your time bro ali, and great idea :)

Salams

me

(salam)

I would have ONE forumn for member's news. This includes a sub forumn for birthdays, and would cover births, weddings, deaths, illness, prayer requests, travelling announcements, etc.

Wa`Salaam

To improve ShiaChat.com, I would invent ways that would engage the members in productive discussions and force them to learn more for instance the ShiaChat Eid Fugitive last year, however I would keep these things year round. I would put higher flood controls in the Off-Topic forum etc.

Salams,

Your input is needed.  Every member is asked to simply finish this statement in one sentence.

To improve ShiaChat.com, I would...

Serious input only please, and one reply from each member.  This is not a discussion thread, just a place for every member to tell us what they would do to improve this site.  Inshallah I'll take this brain storming and make some of these ideas a reality.

This will inshallah act as a To-do list for our Dev. team and I'll try to respond to all replies.  I will also delete any reply that is not an answer to the above posted question.

Wa salam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brother,

Honestly this question is really based on what you have/had in mind when you created Shia chat. If you had in mind a place for people to come together who are Shia and chill out and enjoy each others company then I say leave it as it is.

If you had in mind a place for people to come and learn about Islam as it relates to the Shia perspective then I would say you need to police very heavily the things you allow people to post in relation to Islam. People come and post these village/cultural beliefs that have no place in Islam. Then you have people who know nothing about Islam or about Shia islam who come here expecting to learn but they end up more confused than they ever were.

I know this is not a "discussion" thread just a feed back thread but that is my two cents.

(salam)

If you had in mind a place for people to come and learn about Islam as it relates to the Shia perspective then I would say you need to police very heavily the things you allow people to post in relation to Islam. People come and post these village/cultural beliefs that have no place in Islam. Then you have people who know nothing about Islam or about Shia islam who come here expecting to learn but they end up more confused than they ever were.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely

Ban spammers. We are being invaded by members who have never seen a post they couldn't resist responding to. I subscribe to topics I am interested in so I get email alerts. I get too many email alerts to posts that are nothing more than four word spam. I also check out the "view new posts" and it is filling with spam and nonsense polls.

THIS HAS GOTTEN TO BE TOTALLY OUT OF HAND!

peace

Satyaban

^(salam)

I agree. It's becoming quite annoying to have to sift through childish and stupid responses, merely so that some people can increase their message count.

It should be THE quality of your speech that counts, not the quantity!

Wa`Salaam

^^Agree fully...

(bismillah) 

Reply from Admin:

Salams,

With regards to both the first and second points, I can't stress enough how hard it would be to control such forums.  The only possible way to control it is to set real-time moderating on, which means, when someone posts, their post does not show up until approved my a moderator.  Can you imagine the pain the moderators have to go through and how slow these forums will be to discuss in, especially when they're our bussiest forums.   As you can imagine, this will not work.

The only other way is to set heavy moderation, which we're in the process of doing.  Inshallah new and more moderators will be chosen to control these forums in the next few weeks.

As for the Muta thread.  Make this thread and I will happily pin it.  It doesn't have to be us doing all the work :)

With regards to language, if you noticed, we do not allow any offtopic material be posted in the general forums that are usually where the more serious members hang.  This means that the kids and the junk they write is limited to the off-topic forums.  Simply avoiding these forums will help you avoid this mess.

For your last suggestion, re: media and online books.  This is why Ali_Imran has been added to the Dev. team.  He already worked on a new design for us and it will be up soon.

`Ali

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by united_we_stand

(salam)

To improve shiachat, i would like that the rules about bashing sunnis/caliphs/scholars should be strictly enforced, I understand that it is not possible to see each and every post and edit the silly stuff, but still there is much room for improvement in the following areas.

1. Almost all the topics that are discussed are about omar running from battle, or pen and paper incident or stuff like that, which is so much repetitive that even shias get frustrated.

2. In almost every thread, the shiachat rules are mocked, and sunnis/caliphs/scholars are cursed, which give a bad image to shias. Truth can be told in a respectable manner.

3. There should be some special strict rules for shia/sunni forum, as by-nature this forum is quite unstable.

4. There should be an article section, in which all the familiar issues like imamate, muttah etc. should be addressed. (same as the talkorigins.org have). The idea is that a member before posting there should have a minimum required knowledge of the issues so that they shouldn't always bring KFC things like Allah tells a lie(Usool Kafi) blah blah.

Wasalam

Edited by sayedzeeshan

Ban spammers. We are being invaded by members who have never seen a post they couldn't resist responding to. I subscribe to topics I am interested in so I get email alerts. I get too many email alerts to posts that are nothing more than four word spam. I also check out the "view new posts" and it is filling with spam and nonsense polls.

THIS HAS GOTTEN TO BE TOTALLY OUT OF HAND!

peace

Satyaban

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly my point, I already emphasized the need to discourage spamming and posting for the sake of quantity rather than quality. A certain age limit should also be imposed, it would be a major step towards stopping nonsense and childish replies.

another suggestion: Moderators need to be more friendly and sociable so as to alleviate the feelings of grave resentment and indignation certain members are having. Admittedly, some of the moderators give the impression of being patronizing and superior which is causing the estrangement, instead of locking the threads and making someone feel helpless and insulted, a few words should be exchanged back and forth, I am sure this will show who is to blame coz locking threads makes moderators appear guilty.

Edited by Syed Mohsin Naqi

Guest faithful8876_

(bismillah)

(salam)

Following suggestions:

- More mods, this place is huge with mashallah many members and unfortunately many spammers and useless/childish topics.

No offence to anyone but lately this place has become serious mas5ara and people have become really childish...I think that is a MAIN issue we need to deal with because I know a few people who arent members but browse this website, and they are turned off by the amount of childishness in some topics.

If I were the admin I'd ban people right and left :D Just kidding, but I'd give serious warnings to some people who need to change their attitudes and rethink their image in this Islamic forum (many of us seem to have forgotten that)

Solution would be more mods, more strict rules. This is not to suggest that people shouldnt be able to throw in a joke every now and then or do something recreational, this is directed at the people who create a thread to say "I'm in school and I'm bored" or such..

fee iman illah