1 reply to this topic

#1 zarrin

zarrin
  • Advanced Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:03 PM

(salam)

Dear all,

I am from UK and will be visiting Los Angeles soon inshallah. I am not a regular poster on this forum but have frequented it for many years (and prior to that was on shialink!)

Does anyone know of any Shia ithna asheri mosques in Los angeles or the surrounding areas. It would also be useful if anyone knows what languages are normally spoken during programmes e.g. english/farsi/arabic/urdu etc.

So far from shia.org i found 3 mosques which are:
Ja'faria Islamic Society
Shia Ithna-Asheri Islamic Jamaat of Los Angeles
Institute of Islamic Philosophy and Mystical Thought

Does anyone have any info on these mosques? Are they actually mosques!?

Also, is there any mosque which is generally considered the main focal point for the Shia community in LA? Where are Jumah prayers held?

Thanks very much

Zarrin @)

#2 Ali Zaki

Ali Zaki

Islam = Peace

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Searching for the truth, gaining knowledge

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:14 PM

(salam)

Dear all,

I am from UK and will be visiting Los Angeles soon inshallah.  I am not a regular poster on this forum but have frequented it for many years (and prior to that was on shialink!)

Does anyone know of any Shia ithna asheri mosques in Los angeles or the surrounding areas.  It would also be useful if anyone knows what languages are normally spoken during programmes e.g. english/farsi/arabic/urdu etc.

So far from shia.org i found 3 mosques which are:
Ja'faria Islamic Society
Shia Ithna-Asheri Islamic Jamaat of Los Angeles
Institute of Islamic Philosophy and Mystical Thought

Does anyone have any info on these mosques? Are they actually mosques!?

Also, is there any mosque which is generally considered the main focal point for the Shia community in LA? Where are Jumah prayers held?

Thanks very much

Zarrin @)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the mosque (closest to Los Angeles) that I would recommend

Assadiq Foundation & City of Knowledge School
3285 N. Garey Ave, Pomona, CA 91767, USA
Phone: 909-392-0251
Fax: 909-392-0295
Directions: It is located on the corner of foothill and garey. 4 min. off 10 freeway.

General Information: It is islamic foundation with several projects 1) full time islamic academic school (pre-k to 12th grade). we teach at very affordable cost 2) islamic (community)center. consists of a new prayerhall (masjid), and a large convension hall (currently under development) 3) research and center and islamic cemenary for adults ( 3 days a week) 4) hajj group. hajj pilgrimage to the holy land during hajj time ( first class service) at 5 star hotels, including transportation in makkah, madinah, and arafat,mina. three daily meals
Activities 1: 1:00 pm-2:00 pm: Friday prayers, During winter (12:00-1:00)
Activities 2: 8:00 pm-10:00 pm: Saturday lectures at maghrib times.

Here is the one I go to:

http://www.iecoc.org/

This mosque (however) is about 1 hour south (of course, can vary quite a bit depending on traffic) from L.A. The one above is anywhere from 30-45 minutes (depending where you are in L.A.) from the City of Los Angeles.

I don't know much about L.A. proper, as I have always lived in the South Bay and Orange County.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users