Why so many shia singers in Pakistan?

193 replies to this topic

#101 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

thats interesting... i dont know if its a shia trend, but many iraqi singers also recited marsiyas before they persued the singing career

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in leb iraq and iran - shias are pretty much a majority - so its to be expected that some singers will be shia - ex latmiyyeh/marsiyah thats bad :(

our paki shia singers still recite paki lats etc

but the reason its shockin that majority or high prop of paki entertainment industry is shia is cos we are a minority in pak!!!

#102 Banda-e-Khuda

Banda-e-Khuda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

abida perveen - is bigtime on ali ali vibe

she always does narey and states hadith nabvi..' mun kunto maula...'

i went to a concert once and mush was ther too....and she was sayn sometyhing about him being sayed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what "Maulaee" people are about, and there are many in the interior Sindh area, where she usually performs. Their beliefs and devotion are largely limited to mun kunto maula, Ali da pehla number--damadam mast Qalandar, reverence to "Shahs" and "Syeds". But beyond that, like belief in the 12th Imam or practices, not many even acknowledge them. A friend told me that Asif Zardari was a Maulaee too.

#103 Sayed AaliShan

Sayed AaliShan

Proud ۩ Pakistani ۩

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Religion:Islam
  • Interests:???????????

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:06 PM

i ahvent read this thread... but .... many singers and actors/actress (TV & Film) are also shia :dry:

#104 Henna

Henna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Interests:loads- but obviously islam

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

shezad roy is ismaili?!?!!?!? :o

#105 kaneez e mehdi

kaneez e mehdi

bACHELORS iN mEDICINE bACHELORS iN sURGERY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:43 PM

all ali's like ali azmat ali zafar ali hedar ali sher sajjad ali are not only singers bt also i hv heard many things about them

#106 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

She's got the most beautiful voice. And I know her because of her Urdu songs.

Her best number was: Habibi hayya hayya.. Naqab jab uthaya, shabab rang laya, zamana dag magaya, habibi hayya.. :wub:

If you wanna know how beautiful her voice really is: Listen to "Faza (?) ho Apne Pyar ki" and listen to her Aa Aas!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is a qASIDA to that tune :dry:

#107 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

all ali's like ali azmat ali zafar ali hedar ali sher sajjad ali are not only singers bt also i hv heard many things about them

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ali zafar is shia also?!?!?!?!?!? :huh: :o :unsure: :huh: :o :unsure:

#108 widad

widad

Abbad Wallah, Ya Zahra, Ma Ninsa Husaina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

(salam)

Going slightly off topic, isn't it the same in Bollywood, where many actors and actresses are Shias?

Wa`Salaam

#109 vsg

vsg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

^ really i never knew that ....like who ? ??

hmmm when u guys come to think of it there really arnt that many shias in music industry, cause everyone other then the ones we have mentioned are sunni so mabye 20 % of the industry is shia, which would be in line with shia population in Pakistan

#110 Rawshni

Rawshni

The likes of Me DO NOT submit to the likes of them.

• Banned
  • 20,124 posts
  • Interests:A bit of this and that, some of these and those, and well, hama, shoma ...

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

^ really i never knew that ....like who ? ??

hmmm when u guys come to think of it there really arnt that many shias in music industry, cause everyone other then the ones we have mentioned are sunni so mabye 20 % of the industry is shia, which would  be in line with shia population in Pakistan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The music industry isn't just the guys or gals prancing around onstage. The backbone is the ustads, the musicians . . . and the overwhelming majority of them are still meeraasees, and meeraasees are overwhelmingly Shia

Desi music still contributes the major share of the revenue of the canned music industry . . . though the high profile goes to pop bands . . .

#111 vsg

vsg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

^true that, if u r talking about the music industry on whole then you are right...I was talking about pop industry in specific....
but yes as for the whole industry (as in everyone who is releated to music) there is a huge shia population....
btw i m still not convinced that the "muta factor" is the only reason why there are so many shias in the industry.....out of all honesty lot of the times the prostitutes do not even require muta to offer their services and even if that is the case that still does not explain why so many meeraases are shias....
I would love to see some scholar doing a research on this topic.....

#112 Peer

Peer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

nah koi jaan nah pehchan - thats the correct title off humairas best :P
Na koi jaan na pehchan
Aiwain dhakkay da mehman
Gali vichon aonda janda menoo vekhdey.

Sadaay samnay dukan
Khake laachee wala paan
Paisay kad-da kadaanda menoo vekhdey
Haye nee! Paisay kad-da kadaanda menoo vekhdey.

Na koi jaan na pehchhan
Aiwain dhakkay da mehman
Gali vichon aonda janda menoo vekhdey.

Munda ay gawandiyan da, Sanwala ay rang da
Udnay da saara dinnn.Kothay uttay langda.
Munda ay gawandiyan da, Sanwala ay rang da
Udnay da saara dinnn.Kothay uttay langda.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's one of her best songs :D

But still nothing beats Habibi Hayya hayya :wub:

#113 Peer

Peer

• Advanced Members
  • 11,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:53 PM

I thought, she more falls in the "maulaee" category, isn't she?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, she's a shia. My uncle was her family physician so that's how I know.

#114 Peer

Peer

• Advanced Members
  • 11,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

yeh its renowned

bey, 'kanjar' oonki zaat hai...woh fakhar seh kaiteh hain

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

seriously 

OMGGGGGGGGG 

I DINT KNOW THAT

HE SINGS IN PUNJABI THO - do u get punjabi ismailis?

100%

He might have sung a couple of Punjabi song but that doesn't make him a Punjabi. He was being interviewed at his home and he had the picture of Aga Khan hanging on the wall.

Actually if you look at him, he looks gujrati :D

#115 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

^true that, if u r talking about the music industry on whole then you are right...I was talking about pop industry in specific....
but yes as for the whole industry (as in everyone who is releated to music) there is a huge shia population....
btw i m still not convinced that the "muta factor" is the only reason why there are so many shias in the industry.....out of all honesty lot of the times the prostitutes do not even require muta to offer their services and even if that is the case that still does not explain why so many meeraases are shias....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dint say merasis are shia cos of mutah!!!! thats the theory given for heeera mandi ie kanjars :dry:

#116 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:52 PM

That's one of her best songs :D

But still nothing beats Habibi Hayya hayya :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

habibi haya haya is nice but i cant take it seriously cos off that qasida 'hur jaa ali ali ey' same 'tarz'

i jus came bak from a mehndi :Hijabi:

#117 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

LOL. I just googled about him. Apparently, he actually went to a music school, so must be better than others. Anyways, I dont listen to songs anyways..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do u kno habibi haya haya???? u wnt to be aminas habibi :dry:

#118 -SeeKeR-

-SeeKeR-

Wackistani

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:44 AM

This could also be due to the fact that mostly ther is this concept among shias that because they are shias and cry for Imam Huassain(a.s)...they are gonna be forgiven for all the sins.

Going slightly off topic, isn't it the same in Bollywood, where many actors and actresses are Shias?

Yea yer right...many famous actors are shias like shabana azmi,taboo,meena kumari.Meena kumari even donated all her wealth for the construction of imambarghas.

Edited by farwa, 27 November 2005 - 05:09 AM.

#119 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,438 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:56 AM

Why so many shia singers in Pakistan?

Why so many pages on this thread :dry:?

#120 Member1

Member1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:00 PM

This could also be due to the fact that mostly ther is this concept among shias that because they are shias and cry for Imam Huassain(a.s)...they are gonna be forgiven for all the sins.
Yea yer right...many famous actors are shias like shabana azmi,taboo,meena kumari.Meena kumari even donated all her wealth for the construction of imambarghas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmg they were all shia??????? :huh: :o :o :o

taboo's sister is farah naz -

mahesh bhatts father was hindu brahmin and mother shia muslim :wacko:

taboo and shabana azmi they are shameful ^_^

was nargis shia too?

so like the only muslim female bolly actresses are shia?!?!?!?!? :wacko:

did pakeeza and nikah have shia elements? veer zahra did...i think mughals and nawabs were largely shia :unsure:

barbara sharif is shia

im converting into a sunni :dry:

Edited by Queen_Shah_UK, 27 November 2005 - 03:08 PM.

#121 widad

widad

Abbad Wallah, Ya Zahra, Ma Ninsa Husaina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

^^^
(salam)

How did VeerZara have shia elements? Watched the movie, didn't notice any!

Wa`Salaam

#122 Rawshni

Rawshni

• Banned
  • 20,124 posts
  • Interests:A bit of this and that, some of these and those, and well, hama, shoma ...

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:15 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

To the purists, most of the pop industry isn't music at all. I'm not a purist, though. But I too do not consider much of what is served up as music by the likes of Junoon and so on as music.

I do not know anything about the mut'aa factor ghaving any role in the Shia population among meeraasis and kanjars.

I do know that both these communities are overwhelmingly Shia. And when I say Shia, I mean Shia, not merely "khush aqeedeh" musulmaan who exhibit a certain respect for the Aal-e-Rasool.

I myself have said this is a subject for extensive and intensive research. I do know of two such attempts being made, either time they were thwarted by the subjects of the research themselves.

The inhabitants of the heera mandi are a confusing lot anyway. There are three distinct types of "karobaars" going on there all at the same time.

There are girls who "entertain" their patrons just by singing. Most of theae are usually very well-versed in singing, have pretty good voices, are extremely well mannered, and do NOT dance or engage in "jism faroshi"

There are the ones who perform dances -- from the classic mujrah type to strips
-- most of these are also high priced temporary bed-mates, whether they do mut'aa or not is anybody's guess, so far as conventional wisdom goes, they do not

Then there are the ones who's sole business is "jism faroshi". In the kanjar heirarchy they are the lowest ones.

There are places where you go and see live dance accompanied by singing . . .

And obviously, as you've said it, this doesn't explain anything about the meeraasees . . . why are they so overwhelmingly Shia . . .

#123 Rawshni

Rawshni

• Banned
  • 20,124 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

Why so many pages on this thread :dry:?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are so many of your posts just meant to increase the number of the posts you've made?

. . .

barbara sharif  is shia

im converting into a sunni :dry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O bibi kujh khoda daa khauf karr. Zia ul Haqq musulmaan si . . . hindu honaa????

#124 Banda-e-Khuda

Banda-e-Khuda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

btw i m still not convinced that the "muta factor" is the only reason why there are so many shias in the industry.....out of all honesty lot of the times the prostitutes do not even require muta to offer their services ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the same line, it won't be a very profitable business for them either if they observe proper regulations of muta and perform it only 3 or 4 times a year (given the 'eddat requirement).

#125 Rawshni

Rawshni

• Banned
  • 20,124 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

On the same line, it won't be a very profitable business for them either if they observe proper regulations of muta and perform it only 3 or 4 times a year (given the 'eddat requirement).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would depend on who they are . . .

If they belong to the routine "jism farosh" category they'd prolly starve

For the "naachis" the dancing girls, mut'a wouldn't hurt their takes, most of them are pretty high priced . . .

Edited by Rawshni, 27 November 2005 - 06:42 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users