- - - - -

Eating Placenta

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Burqa N Purdah_*

Guest_Burqa N Purdah_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:43 PM

(bismillah) (salam)

Is it halal to eat placenta to prevent hemmoraging or do you have to be in the process of dying first?

I am talking about eating one's own placenta.

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Placentophagy

Edited by Burqa N Purdah, 02 November 2005 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Guest_Burqa N Purdah_*

Guest_Burqa N Purdah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:46 AM

anyone? :(

#3 muntadher

muntadher

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:55 AM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Eww. :sick:

You can email Ayatollah Khamenei or Ayatollah Sistani and ask Sister.

ws

#4 yesI'moriginallyamerican

yesI'moriginallyamerican

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:Islam and all that it encompasses which is pretty much everything

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:07 AM

assalamalaikum ,

I don't see why placenta would be considered any differently than excrement or any other type of human waste. It may even be consdiered cannibalistic. Aside from all logical argument: EEEEWWWWWWWW

#5 Guest_Peace_*

Guest_Peace_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:08 AM

(salam)

The placenta is designed to be a 'throw away' organ. It is only needed for the foetus' growth as it acts as the foetus' lung, kidneys and digestive system. Once the baby is delivered it uses its own lungs and circulatory system to receive oxygen. There is a lot of rubbish on web. The placenta is made up of the foetus' cells and the mother. Not all the cells are the mothers'cells so you'd be eating part of ur child's cells - how disgusting ewwwwwww. Plus I have never seen a ruling that allows you to eat human tissue.

Alternatively, the placenta - or part of it - may be eaten by the mother soon after birth, as occurs regularly in other mammalian species. This ensures that beneficial hormones in the placenta reach the mother and cause her uterus to contract strongly, thus reducing the risk of post-partum bleeding. Not everyone is attracted to this, however. (Incidentally, cooking the placenta before eating it would defeat the purpose, since heat would probably destroy the hormones present.)

http://www.nursemine...uk/placenta.htm

I am working with a placenta expert at the moment in my lab. If you have any questions perhaps I could ask her. The above shows that if you were going to eat the placenta you would have to eat it raw to obtain ANY benefit from it - this would present you with risk of infection as it would be handled by the midwife etc.

Edited by Peace, 03 November 2005 - 07:19 AM.

#6 Mohammad112

Mohammad112
  • Advanced Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:38 PM

(salam)

I think it is dsgusting to eat placenta

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Closet Malang

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,397 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:29 PM

:!!!: :sick:

#8 Muskateer_004

Muskateer_004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:31 PM

mmm i had that stuff last night with steak. good stuff

lol ew.

#9 MOMI

MOMI

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

I don't see why placenta would be considered any differently than excrement or any other type of human waste. It may even be consdiered cannibalistic. Aside from all logical argument: EEEEWWWWWWWW

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how could you say stuff like that?? placenta isn't human WASTE, it sustains LIFE. it isn't excrement of any kind!

you all have NO idea how common this is, how NORMAL it is to many MANY people. not only that, but i would bet (if i was a betting person) that the lot of you have no idea that many of the vaccines you inject yourselves and your children with were grown on ABORTED FETAL TISSUE... that's not to say i don't think people should be vaccinated, but it just highlights the fact that many things that seem like they should be haraam, just because it might seem gross, become perfectly halal in certain circumstances.

i haven't done it personally, but i haven't ever been in a situation that called for it. personally, i would think this is a much more natural method of controlling excessive blood loss than getting shot full of pitocin.

i don't know if it's islamically legal to do, but i don't imagine that the Prophet would have allowed a mother to die by bleeding to death over taking a bite out of the placenta to stop it. (i sortof doubt they had much pit back then either, lol) there are other things you can do to encourage the uterus to contract on it's own, including breastfeeding and massaging your belly after the birth... so i think the eating the placenta thing could be reserved as a last resort. i know there are people who eat it ANYWAY, or who freeze it for another time (lol). if you don't want to just dump it in the trash, there is also the option of planting it in the ground with a tree or something to commemorate your baby's birth. the placenta nourishes the tree as it grows... i think it's a sweet idea. (look into it though, there is a specific way to do it) :)

if you DO contact a scholar about it, i would be interested to know what he says when you get an answer.

Edited by MOMI, 03 November 2005 - 07:35 PM.

#10 Guest_Peace_*

Guest_Peace_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

(salam)

The placenta can be given to research if you want it to provide a service. The placenta sustains life up until the baby is delivered. After it has been delivered the placenta is essentially a dying tissue. Experiments on living placental tissue last up to about 12 days after delivery. Anyways the placenta is a two layered structure with blood in between. One layer is from the mother, the second is from the foetus. It is not just the mothers cells that are involved. While it is in the body it acts as a barrier between the mother and the foetus and takes in oxygen and nutrients and removes wastes such as carbon dioxide. It also does the function of the kidneys and produces urine. Once the baby is born its own organs come into play. Comparing human placenta with animal placenta is not very accurate. The placenta is one of the most heterogeneous organs - varying between mother to mother - let alone cross species. People can have all sorts of wierd and wonderful and downright stupid advice to give you, take from those who are qualified to give an opinion - not someone who read up on suggestions which have not been scientifically tested.

#11 yesI'moriginallyamerican

yesI'moriginallyamerican

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:Islam and all that it encompasses which is pretty much everything

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

[quote name='MOMI' date='Nov 3 2005, 06:46 PM']
how could you say stuff like that?? placenta isn't human WASTE, it sustains LIFE. it isn't excrement of any kind!

Assalamalaikum,
It sustains life while it's inside of you. Just like food. When it come out it itsn't sustaining life anymore . The food that comes out is excrement. That's my logic. MY children's vaccines are not grown on aborted fetal tissue I"ve had six kids and I've never taken any medication for hemmoraging thank God. I havent' seen any evidence or logical argument that this would help anyway. I am firm in my stance EEEEEEWWWWWWWW.

#12 Bani Hashim

Bani Hashim

****Peace Be Upon You, Oh Hosayn****

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

^

And if the Mar'ja allows it, I have a fine recipe ready for the hungry mother's who can't wait to put their teeth in the delicious Placenta...

This recipe might be suitable for the common occassion:

To prepare a placenta, cut the meat away from the membranes with a sharp knife. Discard the membranes. 

Roast Placenta
1-3lb fresh placenta (must be no more than 3 days old)
1 onion
1 green or red pepper (green will add colour)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 tspn bay leaves
1 tspn black pepper
1 tspn white pepper
1 clove garlic (roasted and minced)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
Chop the onion and the pepper & crush the saltines into crumbs.
Combine the placenta, onion, pepper, saltines, bay leaves, white and black pepper, garlic and tomato sauce.
Place in a loaf pan, cover then bake for one and a half hours, occasionally pouring off excess liquid.

Serve and enjoy! ;)

#13 Guest_Peace_*

Guest_Peace_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

(salam)

PUHLEASE - Silence of the Lambs was on the other day - reminds me of the way Hannibal calmly talks about eating someone's liver -eeewwwww :cry:

#14 Bani Hashim

Bani Hashim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

^

''Anthony Hopkins Aka Hannibal the Cannibal'' Rules :shaytan: hehe

#15 ShakoMako

ShakoMako

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

I have no idea if its halah or not, it sounds disgusting to me, I mean is there nothing else you can eat???? but I have heard that in certain cultures it is a delicacy, I actually heard of stories of people trying to smuggle it out of the hospital after child birth, but either way sickkkkk!

#16 MOMI

MOMI

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:06 PM

(salam)

The placenta can be given to research if you want it to provide a service. The placenta sustains life up until the baby is delivered.

correction. the placenta will continue to nourish the baby until the placenta seperates from the uterine wall, or until the cord is cut. the placenta and the umbilical cord do not suddenly become useless as soon as the baby takes his/her first breath of sterile hospital air. people pay LOADS of money to have their baby's stem cells collected from the umbilical cord and cryogenically frozen. now, why would it seem so strange that the placenta has other uses after the birth?

and no one is talking about the placentophagy of mammals... there are plenty of HUMANS that do it, with good results. i have yet to hear of someone getting sick or dying from eating a normal and healthy placenta.

human placenta has been used for ages in traditional chinese medicine, and has been found to treat PPD in addition to postpartum hemmorrhage.

People can have all sorts of wierd and wonderful and downright stupid advice to give you, take from those who are qualified to give an opinion - not someone who read up on suggestions which have not been scientifically tested.

i don't know if you are referring specifically to me, but i'm a trained doula and a childbirth educator, have assisted in several births, and have had three children of my own...

anyway, a scientific study on the effects of placentophagy on humans would be redundant. we already know that the placenta is rich in the hormones that we currently use to prevent hemmorrhage. the placenta has high quantities of prostlaglandin, which stimulates involution (decrease in size, folks) of the uterus. it also contains oxytocin, which helps the uterus contract, and helps encourage milk production in the mother. interestingly, pitocin (a trademark preparation of oxytocin) is frequently given to women via injection after birth to speed up the delivery of the placenta and to prevent postpartum hemmorrhage. hmm...

sister, the single most important thing you can do to avoid post partum hemmorrhage is to allow the placenta to come out in it's own time. almost all postpartum "bad bleeds" are caused by the overmanagement of the delivery of the placenta.

Edited by MOMI, 03 November 2005 - 09:43 PM.

#17 MOMI

MOMI

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

I have no idea if its halah or not, it sounds disgusting to me, I mean is there nothing else you can eat???? but I have heard that in certain cultures it is a delicacy, I actually heard of stories of people trying to smuggle it out of the hospital after child birth, but either way sickkkkk!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^actually, yeah... i heard they do that in china... that is problematic because you CAN contract diseases from the placentas of sick women. but we weren't talking about eating OTHER people's placentas, just our own! :lol:

#18 MOMI

MOMI

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:10 PM

(salam)

MY children's vaccines are not grown on aborted fetal tissue 

lol... you might want to check your vaccine inserts, dear.

#19 sayed_ali

sayed_ali

sayed_ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

My understanding is that it is haram but I can't provide a source for that, sorry.

#20 MOMI

MOMI

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

And if the Mar'ja allows it, I have a fine recipe ready for the hungry mother's who can't wait to put their teeth in the delicious Placenta...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hear it sortof tastes like beef, only... spongier. lol

#21 Bani Hashim

Bani Hashim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:24 AM

^

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

I really can't wait to see what the Mar'ja has to say about this matter... :lol:

#22 Zuljenah

Zuljenah

*It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

How gross. :sick:

I know a Muslim who wears this necklace that has part of a placenta inside some clay thing... Apparently they do that in Armenia ?? She is not armenian herself, she is shia, but she has close friends that are Armenian and gave her the necklace to show how much they care about her. :huh: Unfortunately, the girl also prays while wearing this necklace :no: *sigh*

#23 ghoti

ghoti

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:29 AM

(salam)

I found a couple of related things about this...

1) http://www.al-shia.c...decisions-2.htm says:
"When a creature (sheep, goat, cow or camel ) is slaughtered all its meat is permitted to be consumed except for particular parts and elements which are: blood, the male reproduction organ, the testacles, the spleen, faeces, the bladder, the gall bladder, the placenta, the vulva, the vein extending from the neck to the tail, the spinal chord, the glands, the pineal body (in the middle of the brain) and the pupils of the eye."

So if the placenta of even a halal animal is not permitted, then it's very unlikely for one's own placenta to be permitted.

2) http://www.livingisl...maa/puct_e.html has some information from a Sunni perspective, but I don't know how much of it is relevant to us in this case.

Elsewhere, one website said "The placenta contains one-third to one half of a cup of blood which is rich in blood cells." ... I think that if that is correct, then that amount of blood would make it najis and haram to consume.

Edited by ghoti, 15 November 2005 - 12:29 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users