Are snails and octopus haram to eat?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Trin

Trin

Jennah Heydari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Revert Muslims Association. <br />Married and living in Ontario, Canada.

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

Salaam brothers and sisters of shiachat!!

Are snails (escargots) or calamari (octopus)haram? Just curious.. does anyone know? I know shellfish has been discussed on shiachat before and I think they are haram right? And we can only eat fish with scales?… but escargots (snails) are on land and calamari (octopus) is in sea..soooo anyone know?

Thanks for replies… just incase I’m offered any I wanted to know!!

Wasalaam, Janaan

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 new2shia

new2shia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

actually i believe they are haram to eat. Also calamari is not octopus, it is squid.

#3 Guest_Thamina_*

Guest_Thamina_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

(salam)

Sis Trin, I'm pretty sure they are not permissible. (let's go search for the fatwa! :D)

Speaking of calamari..one time I was at a restaurant and I saw it and I thought they were ONION RINGS because they are round like in the picture above and I almost started to put them in my plate when one of my non-Muslim friends goes "Thamina, that's squid!!".

:o That was close!

Edited by Thamina, 29 August 2005 - 08:19 PM.

#4 Trin

Trin

Jennah Heydari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Revert Muslims Association. <br />Married and living in Ontario, Canada.

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

(salam)

Sis Trin, I'm pretty sure they are not permissible. (let's go search for the fatwa!  :D)

Speaking of calamari..one time I was at a restaurant and I saw it and I thought they were ONION RINGS because they are round like in the picture above and I almost started to put them in my plate when one of my non-Muslim friends goes "Thamina, that's squid!!". 

:o That was close!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

salaam sis Tham...
:D loool.. ye i know i thought they were onion rings too!!!! o well.. so i can't eat them.. know big deal i guess... and ye i was gona say I thought they were squid but i wasn't sure ..thanks for letting me know 'new2shia'.. i had them b4 but i was not Muslim and didn't know any better.. all i'm saying is they were chewy.. lool and kind'a tasty because they were covered in sauce!!! But Muslim's are not missing out on much..

Wasalaam

#5 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,375 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:56 PM

(salam)
Isnt there a fish call Kalamari? :unsure:

#6 torrent

torrent

c'est la vie..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

Trout is halal, it has has scales...

#7 Black Maffia

Black Maffia

1 ov Imam Mahdi Soulja InshaAllah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

errrrr, thats sick u know :sick:

#8 Guest_MrRaza_*

Guest_MrRaza_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:25 AM

I think Its HARAM

#9 Guest_Razashan_*

Guest_Razashan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:41 AM

Don't know....but i can say that not haram..

#10 Q.A

Q.A

Magnificent B*****d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Location:any halal take away with wall paper in the bathroom
  • Religion:o.O
  • Interests:Searching for the grave of arch stanton. By the way I was born in 1814

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:50 AM

they are haram but I only know this true madressa lectures.

#11 Sherihan

Sherihan

dun dun DUNNNNNNN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

No idea...but I wasn't gonna try them anyway. Eww... :squeez:

#12 Hajar

Hajar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

Salaam alaikum,

The only sea creatures we can eat are fish with scales and shrimp.

Sayyid Seestani: A Code of Practice for Muslims in the West

163. In order for fish to become permissible for a Muslim, it must have the following conditions:

Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã The fish must have scales on it. [That is, it should not be a skin fish.]
(B) The Muslim should be certain or satisfied that the fish has come out of the water alive or that it died while it was already in the fishing net.

It is not necessary for the fisherman to be a Muslim or to utter the name of Allãh for the fish to become halãl. So, if a non-Muslim catches a fish and brings it alive from the water or it dies after getting caught in his fishing net or fishing line, and it has scales on it, it is permissible to eat.
A Muslim can ascertain the first condition by examining the fish if it is being displayed or by observing its name [which can tell you whether it is a skin fish or a scale fish] as long as you can trust the authenticity of the label. A list of scale fish has been appended at the end of this book.
The second condition is fulfilled in almost all the countries, as they say, because the universal method in fishing ensures that the fish comes out of the water alive or they die after they are caught in the fishing net. Based on this, it is permissible to eat the fish that one gets from a non-Muslim just as one gets from a Muslim, irrespective of whether it is canned or uncanned. (See the question-answer section below.)

164. It is permissible to eat shrimps, if they are brought out of the water alive. It is forbidden to eat frogs, lobsters, turtles, every amphibious animal, snails, and crayfish. (See the question-answer section below.)

WaSalaam, Hajar

#13 Guest_sweeter than salsabeel_*

Guest_sweeter than salsabeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:10 PM

i sure hope its haraaam!!! :D

#14 Q.A

Q.A

Magnificent B*****d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Location:any halal take away with wall paper in the bathroom
  • Religion:o.O
  • Interests:Searching for the grave of arch stanton. By the way I was born in 1814

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:01 AM

I heard prawns are allowed but not king prawns is this true

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users