His Birth

~~~~~~~~~

One year after the birth of Imam Hassan (as), Allah(swt) bestowed the house of Bibi Fatimah (SA) and Imam Ali (as) with the birth of Imam Husayn (as) on 3rd Shabaan in the 4th Hijri. On hearing the news of his birth, the Prophet (pbuh) rushed to the house of Bibi Fatimah (SA) and asked Asma binte Amees “O Asma, bring me my son”. Bibi Asma brought Imam Husayn (as) in a white piece of cloth and the Prophet (pbuh) took him in his arms and recited Azan in his right ear and Aqama in his left ear and then returned the baby to Asma. Spontaneously he started weeping. Bibi Asma inquired the reason for his grief. The Prophet (pbuh) replied “O Asma this baby will be killed by a renegade group after me. Allah(swt) will not allow them to seek my shifaat. And Asma, do not give this news to my daughter Fatimah since she has recently given birth to this baby.”

He (pbuh) then turned to Imam Ali (as) and asked “How have you named my son”. Imam Ali (as) replied “How could I give a name to the baby when you are present.” In the meantime, the Prophet (pbuh) received wahi in which Allah(swt) suggested the name Husayn for the child and so it happened. This was the first time that a child was named Husayn. The Prophet (pbuh) gave his tongue and then his finger in the mouth of the child to feed him and this practice continued in the future as well to feed the baby.

Greetings by Angels

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the birth of Imam Husayn (as), archangel Jibril (as) came down with a large group of angels to present his greetings to the household of Propet Mohammad (pbuh). He was accompanied by a couple of angels who were castigated by Allah(swt) due to some tark-e-oola and they were forgiven by Allah(swt) due to the sanctity of the baby Imam (as). Their names as mentioned by the historians are Fitrus and Dardayeel.

Aqeeqa and other rites

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the seventh day of the birth of Imam Husayn (as), Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) went to the house of Bibi Fatimah (SA) and a lamb was slaughtered to mark the aqeeqa. On the order of Prophet (pbuh), the head of the baby was shoven and silver in the equivalent weight was given as sadqa.

Some Quranic verses in praise of Imam Husayn (as)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. "Innama yureedallahu le-yuzhiba ankamur rijsa ahlal baiti wa utah-harukum tat-heera" (Sura Ahzab 33:33 Part)

Translation: And Allah only wishes to keep away all abomination from you, ye members of the Family, and to make you pure and spotless.

Almost all schools of thought in Islam believe that this ayat was revealed in praise of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh), Imam Ali (as), Bibi Fatimah (SA), Imam Hassan (as) and Imam Hissain (as).

2. "Innallaha wa malaikatahu yu sal-loona alan nabi ya ayyuhal lathina aamano sallu alaihi wa sallamu tasleemat" (Sura Ahzab 33:56)

Translation: Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect.

Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was asked by his companions “How should be send salawat on you?” and the Prophet (pbuh) replied “Say – Allahumma Salle ala Mohammadin wa aale Mohammad”.

3. "Kulla as-alokum alehe ajran il-al mawad-data fil qurba" (Ash-Shura 42:23 Part)

Translation: Say: "No reward do I ask of you for this except the love of those near of kin."

When Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was asked as to who are your QURBA with whom love has been made obligatory for all believers, Prophet (pbuh) replied they are Ali(AS), Fatimah (SA), Hassan (as) and Husayn (as).

4. "Faman haajaka feehe min baada ma jaa-oka minal ilme faqul ta-aalu nad-o abna-ana wa abnaokum wa nisa-ana wa nisaokum wa anfusana wa anfusakum summa nabtahal fanajal lanatullahe alal kazibeen" (Aal-e-Imran 3:61)

Translation: If any one disputes in this matter with thee, now after (full) knowledge Hath come to thee, say: "Come! let us gather together,- our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves: Then let us earnestly pray, and invoke the curse of Allah on those who lie!"

When this ayat was revealed, Prophet Mohammad took Imam Ali (as) in accordance with “anfusana”, Bibi Fatimah (SA) in accordance with “nisa-ana” and Imam Hassan (as) and Imam Husayn (as) in accordance with “abna-ana” as per will of Allah(swt) in the mubahila against the Jews.

This is only a small sample of ayats which were revelaed in praise of Ahle Bait (as) in which Imam Husayn (as) glitters as a bright shining star.

Note: 3rd of Shabaan is the 18th of September in North, Central, South America and Europe whereas it is the 19th of September in Pakistan and its neighboring countries. For other places please consult your local Islamic Calendars.

Two Windows, One Departure

An established tent, a grounded spear, a hanging sword, and a horse could be seen from a distance. Moments later, a messenger spawned off from the caravan to deliver Imam Husayn’s (as) message to the head of the people within the tent. The messenger delivered the message and returned to the caravan. Obaydollah ibn Hurr Jo’fi however, who knew of the people’s love for money and leisure had rejected Imam Husayn’s (as) invitation and said that he had not left the city of Kufah except for the fact that he feared the arrival of Imam Husayn (as) and his plead for help.

Nonetheless, Imam Husayn (as) is the Ark of guidance. This time, Imam Husayn (as) himself along with some of his companion’s went toward the tent of Obaydollah. When Obaydollah saw Imam Husayn (as) in front of his tent, he felt ashamed. He stood up and respected the Imam greatly. He invited the Imam in and told the Imam of the news and events, which had recently occurred in Kufah. Imam Husayn (as) listened to all of them and then began to speak about all the invitations that were sent to him from the people of Kufah. Imam Husayn (as) asked Obaydollah to accompany and support him, so that the Prophet’s progeny (as) would intercede for him and Allah (SWT) would accept his repentance.

The request of Imam Husayn (as) had again put Obaydollah in doubt. He did not know which way to choose. The love towards worldly aspects would not leave him and his mind alone. He began to create excuses to reject Imam’s request.

Obaydollah thought for some time and said: “You will not find a supporter and helper in Kufah. Fear has caused everyone remain and hide in their homes. For the sake of Allah, please do not ask for my help. I will give you whatever I have, anything from swords to good horses, just please do not ask for me to risk my life.”

Obaydollah said that, in order to relieve the guilt that had built inside of him. When Imam Husayn (as) heard his reply, he said,

“I did not come here to receive a sword and a horse. I came to ask for your companionship. Now that you are not willing to devote your life, then I have no need for your sword and horse. And I am not one who accompanies those who have gone astray. But I recommend you not to stay here, because the Prophet said: Whoever ignores the voice of my progeny asking for help and does not support them, Allah will throw him with face in the Hellfire.”

Obaydollah heard Imam Husayn’s (as) last words; slowly and embarrassed began wrapping up his stuff and left.

Another one was a follower of Othman and hence, was not very fond of the Prophet’s progeny (S). While moving his caravan from Mecca to Kufah, he had tried to keep as much distance as he could from the caravan Imam Husayn (as), so that he does not come face to face with Imam Husayn (as). Indeed, just as everyone is under examination in this world, Zohayr too was not an exception.

Despite Zohayr’s efforts, the two caravans, one of Zohayr and the other of Imam Husayn (as), came to rest in the same area. While Zohayr was in his tent having his meal with his friends and family, a messenger entered and said: “Husayn ibn Ali has sent me to tell you that he wants to see you.”

Everyone paused eating for a moment, and Zohayr got very upset of the news. Silence ruled the tent, and everyone was waiting for Zohayr’s reaction. Zohayr lost in his thoughts, was taking too long to respond to the messenger. His wife broke the silence and shouted from the other side of the curtain, “Zohayr! Why are you rejecting the invitation of Prophet’s Son? Why do you not go and listen to what he has to say?”

This was a moment of realization for Zohayr. He rose and went to see Imam Husayn (as). Though Zohayr was very sad and confused at the time of leaving the tent, when he returned from the tent of Imam Husayn (as), his eye had a new brightness and his soul felt a certain joy. Indeed, a conversation with Imam Husayn (as) had changed a rock into a diamond.

Zohayr ordered to wrap up his tents and establish them near Imam Husayn’s (as) tents. He told his friends that he is going to accompany Imam Husayn (as) in his trip. Therefore, whosoever wanted to support him may come; otherwise this will be the last meeting. Further, Zohayr gave some money and food to his wife and sent her to her family. His wife cried during the farewell and asked Zohayr not to forget her in the day of resurrection. Zohayr left while he was confident in supporting the truth and fighting for the right cause. It has been narrated that Zohayr was one of the few who stood in front of Imam Husayn (as) and other companions while they were praying the noon prayer on the day of Ashura. Zohayr’s face and body had become armor for Imam Husayn (as) against the arrows thrown by the enemies.

Please accept our condolences to all on the tenth of Muharram, the Martyrdom anniversary of the great revival of religion, the Master of Martyrs:Imam Husayn (as) ibn Ali, and that of his great companions in the desert of Karbala.

Source: WWW.ROSHD.ORG

Islamic Traditions

Imam Ali (as) says: No right is lost as long as there are those who demand it.

Islamic Concepts:

al-Husayn's (as) teachings a model for Islamic unity

When we live with the Imam (as). we live with Islam in its doctrine, laws, methods and goals, just as we live with the Message and the Messenger (S) who said that he was a part of Husayn and Husayn (as) was a part of him.

And when we talk about Islam, the Messenger (S) and the Message, we are talking about all Muslims, whom Allah wanted to unite as one coherent nation despite its sectarian and jurisprudence differences.

Islam is but one, it is the understanding of Islam that wary.

In the light of this, we believe that if Ali (as) was the champion of Muslim unity, Imam Husayn (as) is the role model of that unity.

He is the Imam whom all Muslims -- those who adhere to his beliefs and those who do not-love and glorify. They all believe that he and his brother Al-Hassan are” the Masters of the youth in Heaven”, and they all agree that Mohammad has said: “I love Husayn, May Allah love those who love him”. Thus, they all agree on his love, respect and appreciation, although they might differ in their view of Karbala, but even those who opposed him had their hearts with him while their swords were fighting against him.

Thus, dear loved ones, when we remember… our Imam (as). We should not remember him only as a revolutionary or as the victim of a tragedy. He was certainly a revolutionary and he undoubtedly lived one of the most saddening and heart-breaking events, but he was also a Muslim Imam whom we have to study his teachings in all aspects of the call especially in the field of changing the minds of Muslims and making them closer to God. The real followers of Husayn (as) are, therefore, those who unify Allah, the most Exalted, and obey Him. They are the ones who obey the Messenger (S) and seek to be Islamic in everything they say think or do.

The Mind and the Right

Thus, we would like here to remember some of Husayn's (as) advice to learn more about our relation with Allah and Islam. He said that one is not rational in full unless he follows the right meaning that man has to develop his mind. And try to perfect it, for the mind is what Allah, the most Exalted, has given you to make you distinguish between right and wrong good and evil.

Allah would not have decided to judge our actions had He not given you the mind.

It is the mind that leads you to the right, since it leads man to know what happiness is, as well as the basis of all life and this come to the conclusion that the Right is an eternal constant that does not change.

It is the mind that tells you that the Right is your belief in God, the Message and all the values that Allah, the most Exalted, and His Messenger (S) loves. It is the Right that controls your relations with others, whether with your parents, your wife and children or with the people in all fields.

On this basis, we say that it is the mind that tells you to follow the right. If you do, then your practical mind becomes in harmony with your theoretical one, and the theory turns into practice.

But if you follow falsehood then both of your minds are deficient. That is why Imam Husayn (as) says that those who do not follow the right are not of a sound mind.

The most honourable

In another saying the Imam (as) says that the most honourable is he who is does not need the advise of others. It is the one who studies the results of his actions and learns from every past experience, knowing all the time that he will die as the others did and he will be held accountable on the Day of Judgment.

In this respect the Imam also said: “He who does not advise himself will not benefit of any advice”. One should always be able to learn from his own experience and “wake up before he is awakened”. He should always keep his eyes open on everything that harms or benefits him. Remorse will do no good on the Day of Judgment.

This is why the Imam says: I have awakened with a God above me and hellfire in front of me, and death awaiting me, and my judgment is imminent. I am totally dependent e on my deeds…

Things are in the hands of someone other than me who could punish me if so wishes or forgive me if he wants. So, who is poorer than me?

Therefore, when you attend Ashura sermons. remember that the Imam he does not want you to cry only. He also wants you to cry on yourselves.

The Quran mirrors facts

In another saying, the Imam says: The believer inspires his virtues from God and takes God’s sayings as his mirror” meaning that the Qur’an is the mirror that makes the believer sees all the facts.

This is very important because it asserts that one should make the Qur’an his guide in his actions in life. He added that the Qur’an described the manners and traits of both the believers and the tyrants, thus enabling man to know himself and be sure of his judgments towards others.

In anther saying, when the Imam was told that Abu Zar said: “poorness is more to my liking than richness. I also prefer sickness to health”, he said: May Allah have mercy on him. As for me I say that he who depends on Allah’s good choice would not wish anything but what Allah has chosen for him.

In another saying, the Imam talks about the worldly life and the Hereafter by noting that he who seeks God’s pleasure by angering people, Allah will preserve him from their anger. While he who seeks the people’s satisfaction in what angers Allah, Allah will leave him to those people. He also said when asked about how great his fear from God is: “No one will be safe in the Day of Judgment, except those who are afraid of Allah in this life.

Salutation ties between the hearts

As for the necessity of saluting others, the Imam says: “Saluting has seventy rewards, 69 of them for the one who salutes and one for the one who responds”. Imam Ali (as) refuted the behaviour of those who do not salute sinful Muslims by saying: Allah sees him worthy of believing in His oneness and you do not think he is worthy of being saluted.

Therefore, we should salute all people, and we should always salute before we start talking with any one.

For our salute is a call for peace, which extends compassion and links between the hearts.

The Religious Authority Sayyed Mohammad Husayn Fadhlullah

Jurisprudence:

In accordance with the fatwahs of the Religious Authority, Sayyed Mohammad Husayn Fadhlullah:

Q: We live in Sweden, and as it is supposed that our spiritual leaders understand the country's social and political conditions, we would like a clear fatwahh regarding stabbing oneself with a sword or the like in Ashura. Some say it is permissible if it does not cause any harm, or if it does not undermine Islam, while others say it is permissible in all cases?

A: We believe that is unlawful because it harms the body, and consequently it is not permissible under any situation, As such it could not be considered lawful. especially if it tarnishes the image of Islam.

Widening the wall

Q: What do you think about building a wall for people to throw stones at in Hajj?

A: We said that it is permissible as the post that was removed was not erected at the time of the Prophet, but it was put there as a marker. Yet the wall should not extend beyond the place that should be thrown at.

Unlawful money

Q: Could we deal with those whose money is suspected to be earned in unlawful ways.

A: If some of it is earned in a lawful way we can deal with them.

Listening to religious songs:

Q: Is it allowed to listen to religious songs if they are accompanied with music?

A: Yes since it is the content that matters.

Infertility

Q: are Men allowed to undergo operations that will make them sterile, knowing that there is a big chance that they can have children later.

A: We have a problem with such operations. It is not permissible due to obligatory precautions. If not to unlawfulness in the first place, but if the doctors believe that it can be undone than there is no problem.

--

Our stand this week

Islamic unity and the future of the nation

Sayyed Fadhlullah: The coming generations are calling on us to unite, for he who works for division and fragmentation is a traitor both to his nation and to his religious beliefs.

(bismillah)

(salam)

There are many hadith about the station and position of Imam Husayn alayhis-salam. Rasulollah salla-llahu-alayhi-wa-aalih is reported as saying, “he who want to see the one inhabitant of the Earth who is most beloved by the inhabitants of the skies, he should look at Husayn”.

Rasulollah salla-llahu-alayhi-wa-aalih is also reported as saying, “Truly Husayn is one of the gates to Paradise; he who opposes him, Allah would deny him even the scent of Paradise”.

Perhaps only this hadith is sufficient so as not to mention any more hadith about the station of Imam Husayn alayhis-salam.

There are many hadith narrated from the Ahl-ul-Bayt alayhum-as-salam with regards to establishing the Husayni Sha’a’er. Imam Sadiq alayhis-salam is quoted as saying, “He whose eyes fill with tears when we are mentioned to him, Allah would bar his face from fire (of Hell)”. And can you imagine what would be the reward for he who weeps for Imam Husayn alayhis-salam, who is Sayyid-ul-Shuhada (Master of the Martyrs) and Qateel-al-‘Abarah (the murder victim who brings tears to the eyes).

Imam Mahdi may Allah hasten his return in his salute – known as Zeyart Nahiyah – to Imam Husayn alayhis-salam declares,

Peace be to he in whose torbah (the soil of the burial site) Allah has made the cure (for every disease),

Peace be upon he under whose dome prayers are answered,

Peace be upon he whose descendents are the Imams, . . . ”

From the above alone, only the first statement is sufficient (his torbah being cure for every disease) to show the divine miracle in the matter, and if this proves anything it points towards the position and station of Imam Husayn alayhis-salam.

source

40 HADITHS ON IMAM HUSSAYN (as)

1)The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) said: Surely, there exists in the hearts of the Mu'mineen, with respect to the martyrdom of Husain (A.S.), a heat that never subsides.

Mustadrak al Wasail vol 10 pg. 318

2) Imam Redha (A.S.) said: The one for whom the day of A'ashura is a day of tragedy, grief and weeping, Allah The Mighty, The Glorious, shall make the Day of Judgment, a day of joy and happiness for him.

Bihar al Anwar, vol. 44, pg. 284

3) Imam Redha (A.S.) said: With the advent of the month of Muharram, my father Imam Kadhim (A.S.) would never be seen laughing; gloom and sadness would overcome him for (the first) ten days of the month; and when the tenth day of the month would dawn, it would be a day of tragedy, grief and weeping for him.

Amaali Saduq, pg. 111

4) The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) said: O' Fatimah! Every eye shall be weeping on the Day of Judgment except the eye which has shed tears over the tragedy of Husain (A.S.) for surely, that eye shall be laughing and shall be given the glad tidings of the bounties and comforts of Paradise.

Bihar al Anwar, vol. 44 pg. 193.

5) Imam Redha (A.S.) said (to one of his companions):

If you desire that for you be the reward equivalent to that of those martyred along with Husain (A.S.), then whenever you remember him say: ' Oh! Would that I had been with them! A great achievement would I have achieved'.

Wasaail al Shia'h, vol. 14, pg. 501.

6) Abu Haroon al Makfoof said: I presented myself before Imam Sadiq (A.S.) whereupon he said to me: "Recite for me a poetry" and so I recited for him. He said "Not in this manner. Recite for me as you recite poems and elegies over the grave of Husain (A.S.)" and so I recited for him (again).

Bihar al Anwar vol 44, pg. 287.

7) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: There is none who recites poetry about Husain (A.S.) and weeps and makes others weep by means of it, except that Allah makes Paradise incumbent upon him and forgives his sins.

Rijal al Shaikh al Tusi pg. 189.

8) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: All praise is for Allah, who has placed amongst the people, those who arrive in our presence, eulogizing us and reciting elegies about us.

Wasail al Shiah vol. 10, pg. 469.

9) Imam Redha (A.S.) said (to De'bil, a poet sincerely devoted to the Ahlul Bayt):

I desire that you recite for me poetry, for surely, these days (of the month of Muharram) are the days of grief and sorrow, which have passed over us, Ahlul Bayt.

Mustadrak al Wasail, vol 10, pg. 386.

10) Imam 'Ali (A.S.) said: Surely, Allah has chosen for us followers (Shiites), who assist us and are happy at our happiness and are sad in our sadness.

Ghuraral Hikam vol. 1, pg. 135.

11) Imam 'Ali Ibn al Husain (A.S.) used to say: Every Mu'min, whose eyes shed tears upon the killing of Husain Ibn 'Ali (A.S.) and his companions, such that the tears roll down his cheeks, Allah shall accommodate him in the elevated rooms of Paradise.

Yanaabe'al Mawaddah, pg. 419.

12) Imam Sajjad (A.S.) said: Surely, I have never brought to mind the martyrdom of the children of Fatimah (A.S.) except that I have been choked with tears due to it.

Bihar al Anwar vol. 46, pg. 109.

13) For those unable to go for the ziarat of Imam Husain (A.S.) on the day of A'ashura, Imam Baqir (A.S.) mentions the manner of performing A'zadari as follows: He should mourn over Husain (A.S.), weep for him and instruct the members of the house to weep for him. He should establish the mourning ceremony in the house by exhibiting lamentations and grief over him; the people should meet one another in their homes and offer condolences and consolation to each other over the calamities which befell him.

Kaamil al Ziyaraat pg. 175

14) Imam Baqir (A.S.) said: Amirul Mu'mineen (A.S.), along with two of his companions, happened to pass by Kerbala and as he did so, tears filled his eyes. He said (to them), "This is the resting place of their animals; and this is where their luggage shall be laid down; and it is here that their blood shall be shed. Blessed are you O' Earth, that the blood of the beloved shall be spilled upon you."

Bihar al Anwar, vol: 98 pg. 258.

15) Imam Baqir (A.S.) said: He who remembers us, or in whose presence, we are remembered, and (as a result) tears flow from his eyes, even though they may be in the measure of a wing of a mosquito, Allah shall construct for him a house in paradise and make the tears a barrier between him and the fire (of hell).

Al Ghadeer vol. 2, pg. 202.

16) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: `As for A'li Ibn al Husain (A.S.), he cried over Husain (A.S.) for twenty years (after the tragedy of Kerbala); never would any food be placed before him except that he would begin to weep.

Bihar al Anwar, vol 46, pg. 108

17) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: When Ibrahim, the son of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) died, tears filled the eyes of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W), whereupon he said, " The eyes are tearful and the heart is anguished (but) we shall not say anything which shall anger the Lord. Surely we, O' Ibrahim, are grief stricken for you"

Bihar al Anwar vol: 22 , pg. : 157.

18) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: He in whose presence we (and our miseries) are mentioned and, as a result, his eyes pour out tears, Allah shall make his face forbidden upon the fire of hell.

Bihar al Anwar vol. 44, pg. 185.

19) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said to Fudhail: Do you sit together, talk and discuss amongst yourselves? Fudhail replied: Yes. The Imam then said: I approve of these sittings. So keep our `issue' (Imamate) alive. May Allah exhibit mercy on those who revive our issue and mission!

Wasail al Shiah , vol. 10, pg. 391.

20) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said (to Masma', one of those who mourned over Imam Husain (A.S.)): May Allah have mercy upon your tears! Do know that you are regarded as being of those who are deeply concerned about us and of those who are happy at our happiness and aggrieved at our sorrow. Do know that you shall witness the presence of my fathers near you at the time of your death.

Wasail al Shia, vol., 10, pg. 397

21) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) (while sitting on the prayer mat prayed for the mourners and those going for the ziarat of the Ahlul Bayt (A.S.) as follows):

O' Lord, have mercy upon those eyes, which have shed tears in compassion for us; and upon those hearts, which have been restless and blistered for us; and upon those wailings, which have been for us.

Bihar al Anwar vol 98 , pg. 8.

22) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: He whose eyes shed tears for our blood which has been shed, or for our rights which have been usurped, or for the humiliation meted out to us or to one of our Shiites, Allah shall accommodate him in paradise for a long time.

Amali Sheikh al Mufid, pg. 175.

23) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: O' Zurarah! The sky had cried for forty days over (the martyrdom of) Husain (A.S.)

Mustadrakal Wasail, vol 1 pg. 391

24) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: After the news of the martyrdom of Ja'far Ibn Abi Talib (A.S.) and Zaid Ibn Harithah reached the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.), whenever he entered his house, he would weep profusely for them and say: " They used to converse with me and were intimate with me and (now) both of them have departed together".

25) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: The breath of one who is aggrieved upon the injustice and oppression subjected to us, is tasbeeh (glorification of Allah), and his grief for us, is i'baadat (worship of Allah) and his concealing our secrets, is jihad in the path of Allah.

The Imam (A.S.) then added: This tradition ought to be written in gold.

Amaali al Shaikh al Mufid, pg. 338.

26) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: Allah has appointed to the grave of Imam Husain (A.S.), four thousand anguished and grief stricken angels, who weep over him (and shall continue to do so) up to the Day of Judgment.

Kamil al ziyaraat, pg. 119.

27) Imam Redha (A.S.) said (to Rayyan Ibn Shabib): O' Son of Shabib! If you have to cry over something, then do so over Husain Ibn 'Ali (A.S.) for surely, he was slaughtered in the manner in which a ram is slaughtered.

Bihar al Anwar, vol. 94, pg. 286.

28) Imam Redha (A.S.) said: He who sits in a gathering in which our affairs (and our path and aims) are discussed and revived, his heart shall not die on the day (Day of Judgment) when hearts shall die (of fear).

Bihar alAnwar vol 4 pg. 178.

29) Imam Redha (A.S.) said: Those who weep should weep over the likes of Husain (A.S.) for surely, weeping over him does away with one's great sins.

Bihar al Anwar vol: 94, pg. 184.

30) Imam Redha (A.S.) said: O' Son of Shabib! Should you weep for Husain (A.S.) in the measure that tears roll down your cheeks, Allah would forgive all the sins committed by you, whether they be the great sins or the small sins and whether they be meagre or immense.

Amali Saduq, pg. 111.

31) Imam Redha (A.S.) said (to Ibn Shabib): O' Son of Shabib! If it makes you happy (and you desire) to be with us in the elevated ranks of paradise, then be sad in our grief and happy at our happiness.

Wasaail al Shiah, vol. 14 pg. 502.

32) Imam Redha (A.S.) said: One who refrains from seeking his (worldly) desires on the day of A'ashura, Allah shall grant him his desires of this world and the hereafter.

Wasaail al Shiah, 14, pg. 504,

33) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: The zaair (pilgrim) of Imam Husain (A.S.) turns back (from his pilgrimage) such that not a single sin remains upon him.

Wasaail al Shia'h, vol 14, pg. 412.

34) (Regarding someone who goes for pilgrimage to the shrine of Imam Husain (A.S.)), Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: One who weeps for Imam Husain (A.S.), surely, the Imam (A.S.) observes him and seeks forgiveness for him and requests his holy fathers to (also) seek forgiveness for him.

Bihar al Anwar vol. 44, pg. 181

35) The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) (said to H. Fatimah (A.S.)): On the Day of Judgment, you shall intercede for the ladies and I shall intercede for the men; every person who has wept over the tragedy of Husain (A.S.), we shall take him by the hand and lead him into Paradise.

Bihar al Anwar vol. 94 pg. 192,

37) The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) said: (On the Day of Judgment, a group would be seen in the most excellent and honourable of states. They would be asked if they were of the Angels or of the Prophets. In reply they would state): "We are neither Angels nor Prophets but of the indigent ones from the ummah of Muhammad (S.A.W.)". They would then be asked: "How then did you achieve this lofty and honourable status?" They would reply: "We did not perform very many good deeds nor did we pass all the days in a state of fasting or all the nights in a state of worship but yes, we used to offer our (daily) prayers (regularly) and whenever we used to hear the mention of Muhammad (S.A.W.), tears would roll down our cheeks".

Mustadrak al Wasail, vol 10, pg. 318.

38) Imam Sadiq (A.S.) said: He (Imam Husain) sees those, who come to his shrine and he knows them by their names, their father's names and their ranks in the eyes of Allah, The Mighty, The Glorious, better than you know your own children!

Wasaail al Shiah vol 14, pg. 411.

39) Imam A'li (A.S.) said to Ibn A'bbas: (Once when he happened to pass by Kerbala), Isa (A.S.) sat down and began to weep. His disciples who were observing him, followed suit and began weeping too, but not comprehending the reason for this behaviour, they asked him: "O' Spirit of God! What is it that makes you weep?" Isa (A.S.) said: "Do you know what land this is?" The disciples replied: "No." He then said: "This is the land on, which the son of the Prophet Ahmad (S.A.W.) shall be killed.

Bihar al Anwar vol 44 pg. 252.

40) Abu Baseer narrates that Imam Baqir (A.S.) said: The humans, the jinn, the birds and the wild beasts (all) mourned and wept over (the tragedy which befell) Husain Ibn A'li (A.S.)

Kaamil al Ziyaaraat, pg. 79.

Edited by YaHujja

Mourning Imam Husayn (AS)

ibn Abbas reports from Imam Amir al-Momenin, Ali ibn Abi Taleb (AS) who said:

Once Prophet Isa (AS) was passing by Karbala when he sat down and began to weep. His disciples (hawariyoun) who were observing him, followed suit and began weeping too. But not understanding the reason for this behaviour, they asked him:

Oh Spirit of God! What is that which makes you weep?

Isa (AS) said:

Do you know what land this is?

The disciples replied: No

He then said:

This is the land on which the son of Prophet Ahmad (PBUH) shall be killed.

Every year, in the months of Moharram and Safar, we mourn Karbala. We mourn the tragedy which befell the household of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) in the year 61 AH in Karbala, Iraq. Muslims and particularly the followers of Ahl al-Bayt (AS) wear black clothes (as a sign of grief), hold Majales (gatherings) where the tragic event of Karbala is narrated, Marathiyah and Nohahs (Eulogies and Elegies) are recited and people weep.

Mourning Abu Abdillah al-Husayn (AS) is infact, the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) and the Imams from his progeny which is by itself a highly rewardable act. Historians write:

On the 3rd Sha’ban, in the year 4 AH, the Holy Prophet (PBUH) was in Madinah when he was given the news of the birth of a child in Fatimah (AS)’s house. He (PBUH) rushed to his daughter’s house and told Asma bint Omays: “Oh Asma! Bring me my son”. The infant was wrapped in a piece of cloth. The face of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) lit up upon seeing his grandson. He recited Adhan in the right ear and Iqamah in the left ear of the child and then placing the child on his lap, he cried.

Asma asked, “May my father and mother be your sacrifice. Why are you crying?” The Holy prophet (PBUH) said, “Oh Asma! After me, the transgressing party will kill him. May Allah (SWT) never grant them my intercession.” Then he added, “Asma! Do not tell Fatimah about this for she has just given birth to him”

This child was Husayn (AS).

It is also reported that the Holy Prophet (PBUH) once told his beloved daughter Fatimah (AS):

Oh Fatimah! Every eye shall be weeping on the Day of Judgement except the eye which shed tears over the tragedy of Husayn (AS) for surely, that eye shall be laughing and shall be given the glad tidings of the bounties and comforts of Paradise.

Imam Mohammad al-Baqer (AS), talking about the manner of performing Azadari said:

He should mourn over Husayn (AS), weep for him and instruct the members of the house to weep for him. He should establish the mourning ceremony in the house by exhibiting lamentations and grief over him; the people should meet one another in their homes and offer condolences and consolation to each other over the calamities which befell him.

Imam Ali ibn Mousa ar-Reza (AS) has been reported saying:

With the advent of the month of Muharram, my father (Imam al-Kazem) would never be seen laughing; gloom and sadness would overcome him for the (first) ten days of the month; and when the tenth day of the month would dawn, it would be a day of tragedy, grief and weeping for him.

Imam Jaafar as-Sadiq (AS) said:

There is none who recites poetry about Husayn (AS) and weeps and makes others weep by means of it, except that Allah makes Jannah (paradise) compulsory for him and pardons his sins.

Mourning Imam Husayn (AS)

ibn Abbas reports from Imam Amir al-Momenin, Ali ibn Abi Taleb (AS) who said:

Once Prophet Isa (AS) was passing by Karbala when he sat down and began to weep. His disciples (hawariyoun) who were observing him, followed suit and began weeping too. But not understanding the reason for this behaviour, they asked him:

Oh Spirit of God! What is that which makes you weep?

Isa (AS) said:

Do you know what land this is?

The disciples replied: No

He then said:

This is the land on which the son of Prophet Ahmad (PBUH) shall be killed.

Every year, in the months of Moharram and Safar, we mourn Karbala. We mourn the tragedy which befell the household of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) in the year 61 AH in Karbala, Iraq. Muslims and particularly the followers of Ahl al-Bayt (AS) wear black clothes (as a sign of grief), hold Majales (gatherings) where the tragic event of Karbala is narrated, Marathiyah and Nohahs (Eulogies and Elegies) are recited and people weep.

Mourning Abu Abdillah al-Husayn (AS) is infact, the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) and the Imams from his progeny which is by itself a highly rewardable act. Historians write:

On the 3rd Sha’ban, in the year 4 AH, the Holy Prophet (PBUH) was in Madinah when he was given the news of the birth of a child in Fatimah (AS)’s house. He (PBUH) rushed to his daughter’s house and told Asma bint Omays: “Oh Asma! Bring me my son”. The infant was wrapped in a piece of cloth. The face of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) lit up upon seeing his grandson. He recited Adhan in the right ear and Iqamah in the left ear of the child and then placing the child on his lap, he cried.

Asma asked, “May my father and mother be your sacrifice. Why are you crying?” The Holy prophet (PBUH) said, “Oh Asma! After me, the transgressing party will kill him. May Allah (SWT) never grant them my intercession.” Then he added, “Asma! Do not tell Fatimah about this for she has just given birth to him”

This child was Husayn (AS).

It is also reported that the Holy Prophet (PBUH) once told his beloved daughter Fatimah (AS):

Oh Fatimah! Every eye shall be weeping on the Day of Judgement except the eye which shed tears over the tragedy of Husayn (AS) for surely, that eye shall be laughing and shall be given the glad tidings of the bounties and comforts of Paradise.

Imam Mohammad al-Baqer (AS), talking about the manner of performing Azadari said:

He should mourn over Husayn (AS), weep for him and instruct the members of the house to weep for him. He should establish the mourning ceremony in the house by exhibiting lamentations and grief over him; the people should meet one another in their homes and offer condolences and consolation to each other over the calamities which befell him.

Imam Ali ibn Mousa ar-Reza (AS) has been reported saying:

With the advent of the month of Muharram, my father (Imam al-Kazem) would never be seen laughing; gloom and sadness would overcome him for the (first) ten days of the month; and when the tenth day of the month would dawn, it would be a day of tragedy, grief and weeping for him.

Imam Jaafar as-Sadiq (AS) said:

There is none who recites poetry about Husayn (AS) and weeps and makes others weep by means of it, except that Allah makes Jannah (paradise) compulsory for him and pardons his sins.

Muslims mourn for Imam Husayn (as)

http://www.iribnews.ir/Full_en.asp?news_id=189543&n=31

Tehran, March 31 - On the occasion of Arbaeen' (20th of the lunar Hijira month of Safar) that marks the 40th day after the anniversary of the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (as), the third Imam and rightful successor of the Prophet's (pbuh) household on the 10th of Moharram of the lunar Hijira year 61, Muslims in Iran and abroad participated in commemorative mourning ceremonies.

The mourners in black joined processions in streets, main squares and religious centers, beating chests and singing songs in agony. The Imam and his companions were massacred by one of the most wicked rulers, Yazid Ibn Muaviyah, at a heart-breaking historical event in Karbala (Iraq) in the year 61 A.H. (680 A.D.).

Imam Husayn (as) refused to give allegiance to the evil ruler who was trying to obliterate the sublime values of Islam, and with his blood, succeeded in saving Islam in the form it was revealed to Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) by the Almighty as the final message for mankind.

There are also free food services for the mourners, some of whom observing night vigil and citing special prayers for the infallible Imam.

In Iran, the mausoleum of the father of the Islamic Revolution and founder of the Islamic Republic the late Imam Khomeini at Tehran's Behesht-e Zahra cemetery has reportedly been packed by visitors and mourners.

Dispatches indicate glorious ceremonies, were held on the occasion in the Persian Gulf littoral states, Pakistan, Greece, Japan, South Korea, Lebanon, India, Italy, Kuala Lumpur, Turkmenistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Bahrain, and Jordan.

Participants in the ceremonies, held in religious centers, were briefed by a group of speakers and eulogists on philosophy of Imam Husayn's (as) movement and impact of his resistance and bravery on the true believers in the world of Islam.

The eulogists offered an account of the event in Karbala which led to the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (as), the fallen hero, champion of true Islamic institution and ord of Martyrs.'

At these ceremonies elegies were recited for Imam Husayn (as) and the blessed members of the household of the Prophet (SAWA), instructing the audience to follow the ideals of the Imam and his historical sacred movement of Karbala.

Having witnessed the widespread corruption in the ruler's court, and as a result of that in the Islamic society, Imam Husayn (as) felt duty-bound to launch his reforms in order to revive genuine Islamic values.

It was equal for Imam Husayn (as) either to defeat the corrupt ruler or to achieve martyrdom while fighting the Yazid army.

If the Imam had won over the Yazid army, he would have established a genuine Islamic system. Imam's martyrdom, however, delineated the right path for the coming generations to follow true Islam.

It is left to the Muslims today to realize the right path in the crosscurrent of mischievous waves of change.

(salam)

(bismillah)

In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

Performing a Divine Duty

With the situation taking place during the reign of Yazid ibn Mu’awiah and that of the corrupt Ummayad dynasty, there remained no choice for an ordinary Muslim, let alone the divine leader of Muslims, to pursue except for that way that Imam Husayn (as) chose. The regime of Yazid could not be considered authentic according to any law or custom.

Thus, for these reasons, Imam Husayn (as) felt responsible to stand against the corruption of Yazid. In a letter he sent to the prominent people of Basrah, he explained the reasons for his uprising as follows: “…I call you to the Book of Allah and to the tradition of the Prophet of Allah. Verily, the false and heretic tradition has come back to life…”

Or in the letter he sent with Muslim ibn Aqil to the people of Kufah, Imam Husayn (as) condemned Yazid and further explained his mission: “I swear by my life, the Imam and Leader is no other, than him who acts according to the book of Allah, rises with justice, remains faithful to the religion, and puts his life at stake in the way of Allah.”

Or when Walid, the governor of Madinah, asks him to pay allegiance to Yazid, the Imam replies:” O! Governor, verily we are the household of the Prophet, the mine of divine prophethood, the place where angels come and leave, and the centre for the arrival of Allah’s blessings; and Yazid is a man who is corrupt, wine-bibber, and murderer, who publicly commits debauchery.”

In his will, Imam Husayn (as) addresses his brother, Mohammad ibn Hanifiyah, he says: “Indeed I did not rise willfully out of desire, nor (did I rise) to do corruption or oppression; I did not rise, except to amend the community of my grandfather. I aim to enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil, and act according to the tradition of my grandfather and my father Ali. Thus, whoever rejects me; I will remain patient until Allah judges between me and this community. Verily, Allah is the best of judges.”2

Then the time came when the Imam was face to face with the army of Hurr ibn Yazid al-Riahi. To them he said: “O! People, verily the Messenger of Allah has said: If anyone witnesses an oppressive ruler, who forbids what Allah has made permissible, violates his covenant with Allah, opposes the tradition of the Messenger of Allah, and acts upon sins and enmity amongst people, yet does not oppose (the oppressive ruler) through his behaviors and sayings, it is just on Allah to place him the place of that oppressor.

O! people, be cautious that they are following Satan; they have turned away from obeying Allah; they have manifested corruption; they have suspended the regulations of Allah; they have divided the rights of the people amongst themselves; they have forbidden what Allah has made permissible and permitted what He has forbidden…”3

Therefore, in that critical situation, the rising of Imam Husayn (as) was a divine duty and a religious responsibility, which he performed in the best manner, just as his father Imam Ali (as) and the rest of Imams (as) did in the same situation.

(Selection taken from:” Summary of the History of Islam”, by Sayyid Hashim Rasouli Mahallati)

The Roshd website offers its condolences to all the Muslims, especially to you dear friend, upon the Arba’een (40th day after the Martyrdom) of the 5th person of the Ahl al-Kisa, the master of the martyrs: Imam Husayn ibn Ali (as), and his loyal companions.

http://www.roshd.org

1-Irshad Mofid, vol. 2, P. 36

2-Maqtal Kharazmi, vol. 1, p. 185; Al-Fotouh, vol. 5, p.24

3-Tarikh Tabari, vol. 4, p. 376; Ihqaq al-Haq, vol. 11, p. 609

Edited by Ali al-Mahdi

(bismillah)

(salam)

The swedish relgious historian Torsten Hylén have written an essay about Imam Husayn(A) and Karbala, and he is trying to explain how his struggle and Martydom until ours days affects the view on martyrdom of Shiite Muslims.

It is interesting reading:

http://publications.uu.se/abstract.xsql?la...n&dbid=7457

Please press "Full text" to read the essay!

Attitudes towards the Revolution of Imam Husayn (a), and its Aftermath

Articles - Society

Written by Sheikh Muhammad Mahdi Shams Al-Din

Sunday, 26 October 2008

1. The Eve of the Revolution

When people learnt of al-Husayn's determination to revolt, they took up three different attitudes towards it.

The first attitude was the attitude of the Shi'a of the Holy Family. It was to urge the revolution, to offer it promises of help and support and to undertake some actual tasks for its sake.

We find evidence for that in the event of al-Husayn's revolution when he refused to give the pledge of allegiance to Yazid ibn Mu'awiya and left Medina for Mecca. Indeed we find evidence for it even before the death of Mu'awiya, in the efforts of the Kufans to get al-Husayn to revolt and to rectify the situation-as they claimed-which had arisen as a result of the ratification of the peace treaty between Mu'awiya and Imam al-Hasan ibn 'Ali.

http://www.aimislam.com/articles/society/a...d-its-aftermath

Imam al-Husayn (AS): Martyr In The Way Of Truth

Imam al-Husayn (AS) was a man of faith and action. During nights, he worshipped Allah in privacy while during the day he worked hard and guided the people. He was constantly mindful of the poor and the needy, and he used to visit them and cheer them up. He used to tell his followers:

“Be always in touch with the needy, for Allah does not love the arrogant.”

al-Imam al-Husayn (AS) always helped the poor as much as he could. at night he would carry sacks of food to the houses of the poor and leave them near the doors. He worked hard to eradicate poverty, establish justice and acquaint the people with Allah.

During the time of Imam Husayn (AS) a tyrant called Yazid became the ruler. Yazid called himself the successor of Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) but this was a lie. He used to spend the income of the Islamic realm on drinking, gambling and wild parties. Public wealth was wasted for supporting his regime and the rights of the poor were trampled upon. In this way he totally scorned the instructions of Islam.

When Yazid became ruler of the Muslims he immediately demanded Imam Husayn (AS) to recognize him as the ruler and accept his leadership; but Imam Husayn (AS) was the true successor of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and could not accept and endorse the leadership of an oppressor. He began to enlighten and awaken the people about Yazid and exhorted them to dissociate from him. He would tell them:

“Do you not see that the truth is being trampled upon and the falsehood and oppression are prevailing? In such conditions, a Muslim must be ready for martyrdom in defence of the right. Martyrdom and self-sacrifice for the sake of truth is victory and success, while life with the oppressors is no more than shame and disgrace.”

At that time the people of Kufah (Iraq) were loving followers of Imam ‘Ali (AS) who had been suffering at the hands of Yazid and his father Mu’awiyah. They invited Imam Husayn (AS) to Kufah to lead them against Yazid and his wicked rule. Imam Husayn (AS) had indeed decided to rise up and fight, and so he accepted the invitation and set off for Kufah.

When the Imam Husayn (AS) and his followers were near Kufah, they were met by Yazid’s troops. The troops wanted to arrest Imam Husayn (AS) and his followers and take them to Yazid. The Imam (AS) told them:

“Never will I accept disgrace and surrender to Yazid, Death for me is superior to disgrace and I am ready to defend Islam and the Muslims until I am martyred.”

At a place called Karbala Imam Husayn (AS), his family and helpers were surrounded by Yazid’s troops. The Imam (AS) and his followers stood firm as they fought against the thousands of troops of Yazid. Finally, on 10th Muharram, 61 AH (the day we call ‘Ashoura) they were martyred.

Imam Husayn (AS) and his followers were martyred, but they did not submit to injustice and oppression. They defended Islam and the Muslims. With their blood they saved Islam and the Quran from the danger of annihilation at the hands of Yazid. Imam Husayn (AS) fought against oppression and defended the religion of Islam, and by doing so, he taught the world the greatest lesson on freedom and righteousness. For this reason we call Imam Husayn (AS) “Sayyed ash-Shuhada” which means “The Doyen of the Martyrs.” Now the turn has come for us to safeguard and defend Islam. We must shoulder this magnificent responsibility.

Protecting Religion

The day of ‘Ashoura is a glorious day for truth and freedom. ‘Ashoura is a model for every day of our lives, and the martyrs of that day are the forerunners and teachers for all the martyrs in the way of truth.

One of the self sacrificing young men of that day was called Wahhab. He too gave his life for his Imam (AS) and for the true teachings of the Quran, and provided a lesson on martyrdom to all sincere youths of all times and places. Wahhab was in his tent when his mother entered. She was obviously flustered and nervous; she said to her son:

“Wahhab! what are you waiting for? Don’t you know that Yazid’s forces have surrounded your Imam (AS)? Rise and defend your Imam (AS). Rise and defend the Quran, freedom and honour. If you want me to be happy and pleased with you, rise and give your blood for the sake of your religion.”

Wahhab was already busy putting on his clothes and armour for the battlefield. He quickly finished and made his farewells to his mother and to his young wife. He ran to the battlefield with the permission of Imam Husayn (AS).

Wahhab fought like a valiant lion and his sword fell on the heads of the enemy like lightening. But the day was hot and soon he became more thirsty and tired. He withdrew from the battle to rest for a while, and seeing his mother standing and watching the battle alongside one of the tents, he rushed to her side. She kissed the bleeding face of her son, and said:

“My son, I was watching you, but rest is not permissible. Our Imam’s (AS) helpers are few; return to the battlefield and either defeat the enemy or be martyred in the presence of your Imam (AS). Only in this case I will be content with you and pray for you. Go now, my brave son.”

With this encouragement, and after seeing his mother and wife, just once more for the last time, Wahhab returned to the battlefield with an ardent desire for martyrdom. An enemy sword fell on his arm and wounded him. Watching from a far, his mother let out an involuntary groan. She picked up a stick and hurried to defend her son. Wahhab’s young wife also saw what had happened and she too rushed off to help him. She arrived at his side to find him lying, with blood spurting from his deep wound.

Wahhab’s wife wanted only to defend her husband and play her part in defending the religion. While taking care of her wounded husband, she too was attacked by the enemy troops and was martyred.

Defending Islam and the Quran is obligatory on both men and women. When necessary, Muslim women must learn shooting and other techniques of warfare. They must learn first aid and the art of nursing and attending on the injured. They are to be ever vigilant guardians of the Islamic homelands and honour. In Iran, the brave Muslim women in Islamic Hejab (dress) followed the instructions of their great leader and took part in the demonstrations that freed the country. These freedom-loving women wearing their modest Islamic dress entered decisively into arena, and with the cry of Allahu Akbar on their lips they toppled down the imperial palace itself.

These Muslim women, following the instructions of Islam and observing Islamic Hejab in accordance with the Islamic teachings, cooperated with the men and delivered their country from the grip of traitors. Today, the Muslim women of Iran are playing an important role in all the organizations of the country. These are the women who raised in the environment of Islam. Islam wants women to be veiled, to wear plain clothes in public, to keep their beauty and their adornments for their husbands and families, to avoid unnecessary contacts with men who are not “mahram” (with whom marriage is not permitted) and to maintain in this way their dignity and respect.

Allah tells us in the Quran that the believing women must not gaze at men who are not mahram and must hide from their bodies and hair. The women brought up in Islamic environment can grow spiritually and turn into brave defenders of Islam, the Quran, dignity and honour. They can play an important role in freeing and developing the great Islamic nation.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Imam Husayn’s (as) sermon on the day of ‘Ashoura

“Now then! Consider my family, and ponder as to who I am and then admonish yourselves. Then do you consider that killing me and plundering my sanctity and respect is lawful for you? Am I not the grandson of your Prophet and the son of his Vicegerent and cousin, who was the foremost in believing and the bearer of witness upon everything that the Prophet had brought from God? Was not Hamzah, the chief of Martyrs, the uncle of my father? Was not Ja’far, who flies with two wings in paradise, my Uncle? Did not the Tradition of the Prophet reach you in which he has said about me and my brother that both of us are the chiefs of the youth of Paradise? Then if you agree to what I say, and verily what I have said is nothing but the truth, then it is better, for by God, from the time I have realised that God dislikes the liars, I have never ever spoken a lie. Then if you do not believe to what I say, there are alive among you the companions of the Prophet. Go to them and ask them and they shall bear testimony to the truthfulness of my speech. Ask Jaber ibn ‘Abdullah al-Ansari, Abu Sa’id Khudri, Sahl ibn Sa’d Sa’edi, Zayd ibn Arqam and Anas ibn Malek, they will tell you that they have heard this tradition from the Prophet of God regarding me and my brother. Is not this sufficient to refrain you from shedding my blood”?

Then Shimr ibn Dhil-Jawshan, the accursed said, “I worship God (only) by lips (half heartedly), and do not understand what you say.” Hearing this Habib ibn Mudhaher said, “I can see that you worship God with seventy types of doubts, and I bear testimony that you have spoken the truth and you cannot understand what the Imam says, for God has placed a seal (of ignorance) upon your heart.”

Imam continued,

“Then if you doubt this, do you even doubt that I am the grandson of the Prophet of God (S)? By God! There is no other grandson of the Prophet in the east or the west except myself from among yourselves or anyone else. Woe be to you! Have I killed anyone from among you whose revenge you desire? Or have I usurped the wealth of anyone or hurt anyone whose retribution you desire from me”?

When no one answered him, he called out in a loud voice,

“Oh Shaba’th ibn Rab’ei! Oh Hajjar ibn Abjar! Oh Qays ibn al-Ash’ath! Oh Yazid ibn Hurayth! Have you not written let­ters to me saying that the fruits had ripened and the surrounding earth had blossomed, and to come to a huge army prepared for me”? [1]

They replied that they had not written any such letters. Imam said,

“Glory be to God! Yes by God, you had written it.”

Then he continued,

“Oh people! Then now if you do not like my arrival, then leave me so that I may go away to a place of refuge.”

Qays ibn al-Ash’ath said, “We do not know what you say. Then submit yourselves to your cousins (Bani Umayyah), they shall deal with you in a manner which you like.”

Imam replied,

“By God! I shall not give my hands in yours like a base man, nor shall I flee away like a slave.”

Then he called out in a loud voice,

“Oh servants of God! ‘And verily, I take refuge with my Lord and yours, lest you stone me (to death)’ [surah ad-Dukhan: 20] and I take refuge with my Lord and yours, from every arrog­ant, who does not believe in the day of reckoning.”

Then the Imam dismount­ed from his camel and commanded ‘Uqbah ibn Sam’an to fasten its legs.

Nafas al-Mahmoum,

Page 221

The Birth of Imam Husayn (AS)

Six months after al-Hasan was born, Fatemah (SA) became pregnant with her second child. Lady Fatemah started noticing the signs that childbearing was near, but the Prophet (S) had already foretold of Imam Husayn’s birth.

On the third of the blessed month of Sha’ban, the fourth year after Hejrah, the Messenger of God (S) was given news of the birth of Imam Husayn (AS). He (S) hurried to the house of Imam ‘Ali and Fatemah az-Zahra.

Safiyah bint ‘Abdul-Muttaleb, Asma bint ‘Umays, and Umm Salamah were present when Imam Husayn (AS) was born.

When the Prophet asked Safiyah (his aunt) to bring him the newborn child, she said: “We have not cleaned him yet.” When the Prophet heard this, he (S) said: “You clean him? Surely God the Exalted has cleaned and purified him.”

Asma took the newborn child to him. The infant was wrapped in a piece of cloth. The face of the Messenger of God (S) lit up upon seeing his grandson. He took him in his arms. He recited the call to prayer (adhan) into his right ear, and read the shorter version (iqamah) in his left ear. He, then, placed the baby in his lap and wept.

“May my father and mother be your sacrifice,” Asma asked him, “why are you crying?”

“Because of my son,” he (S) replied.

“He is a newborn baby,” she said.

“Oh Asma,” he (S) said, “After me, the transgressing party will kill him. May God never grant them my intercession.”

Then he said: “Asma, do not tell Fatemah about this, for she has just given birth to him.”

After al-Husayn was born, Gabriel descended to the Prophet (S) and revealed to him to give the new baby the name al-Husayn. al-Husayn is the Arabic version of the old Hebrew name Shabbir, which was Haroun’s second son’s name. When Gabriel descended to the Prophet, scores of angels accompanied him to congratulate and console the Prophet for Husayn’s birth and expected martyrdom.

Seven days after the birth, the Messenger of God shaved Imam Husayn’s (AS) head and gave the weight of his hair as charity for him.

(salam)

(bismillah)

Here are two SaHeeH hadeeth that talk about the great reward of weeping for Imaam Al-Hussayn (as), they have been posted on my blog.

http://revivingalislaam.blogspot.com/2010/12/reward-for-shedding-tears-for-killing.html

http://revivingalislaam.blogspot.com/2010/11/hadeeth-about-imaam-al-hussayn.html

(salam)

(salam)

I was wondering if any shia could get me a hadith from sunni books regarding the 3 day mourning period and since they are busy with other chores, I thought I'd do some reading myself and voila here it is:

Imam al-Hakim too, in his al-Mustadrak (Vol. 1, p. 377) records:

Salman ibn Dawud - Ja'far ibn Muhammad - his father (Muhammad ibn Ali) - Ali ibn Husayn - his father (Ali ibn Abi Talib):

Fatima daughter of the Holy Prophet used to visit the grave of her uncle Hamza EVERY FRIDAY, and used to pray and weep there.

Al-Hakim says:

All the narrators of this hadith are thiqah.

Al-Dhahabi has said the same thing in his Talkhis, as well as al-Bayhaqi in his Sunan.

I've taken this from wilayat.net and it seems to precisely strike at the roots of the 3 days-only weeping.

Now, my question is: What if the Prophet stated the 3 day mourning hadith after the incident of Uhud? Is there any way to know such a thing?

Also, can I get a reference from Dhahabi's Talkhis and Bayhaqi's Sunan from somebody (maybe Saved, since he is managing that site?)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Crying for Imam Husain AS and other Ahlul Bayt AS, even if eyes are watery and tears do not flow, is a meritorious act that warrants Paradise. In the book Maqtal al-Husain: Martrydom Epic of Imam al-Husain ('a), please read Chapter 12 called "Feign Weeping." Here is the first paragraph:

The Imams of guidance (‘a) liked to keep such memories alive forever so that successive generations might discuss them. They knew that the creed would stay fresh as long as the nation remembered this great tragedy. They did not only condone what has to be done, that is, weeping upon remembering the tragedy, they went as far as recommending feign crying over it, that is, that one cries without shedding any tears. Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) says, “Whoever cries [over our tragedies] even without shedding tears will be in Paradise.” [197]

https://www.al-islam.org/maqtal-al-husayn-abd-al-razzaq-al-muqarram

Salaam Aleikum,

What exactly Sahih Muslim hadith speak about the Following Quran verse:

[shakir 44:29] So the heaven and the earth did not weep for them, nor were they respited.

Tafsir Mahdi Puya says following:

It is recorded in Sahih Muslim that when Imam Husayn and his comrades were martyred in Karbala, the heavens and the earth wept over them.

(salam)

That surah you are referring to speaks about Pharaoh and his people right before the ayat you mentioned

Therefore it says

44:29 "And neither heaven nor earth shed a tear over them: nor were they given respite (again)"

44:30 "We did deliver aforetime the Children of Israel from humiliating punishment"

(right before these ayas it is talking about Pharaoh, get it?)

Does that answer your question?

Edited by Abbas0

(salam)

That surah you are referring to speaks about Pharaoh and his people right before the ayat you mentioned

Therefore it says

44:29 "And neither heaven nor earth shed a tear over them: nor were they given respite (again)"

44:30 "We did deliver aforetime the Children of Israel from humiliating punishment"

(right before these ayas it is talking about Pharaoh, get it?)

Does that answer your question?

Salaam Aleikum,

Pardon me. I think i did not make my post clear. The question i'm asking is: "Where we can find a hadith from Sahih Muslim which says that the heavens and the earth wept over them (Imam Hussain (as) and his company (ra))."

Edited by Zufa

Salaam Aleikum,

When we read the Quran verse 44:29 we can concluded that earth and heaven have the ability to weep towards humans. It is very logical (after reading the history of battle of Karbala and the intention of Imam Hussain (as)) to assume that indeed heaven and earth did weep over Imam Hussain, His family and companions.

^In the unaltered/original version probably. I highly doubt they exist today.

Im not surprised. =/

Edited by Zufa

(bismillah)

(salam)

I witnessed this when I was in Karbala but didn't get to see it properly. Just found this video that shows it.

It's the people that work there and they do this everyday.

It makes me want to give up everything, move to Karbala and work there for the rest of my life.

How lucky these people are to be servants of Imam Hussain (as) and get to visit him everyday.

Labbayk Ya Hussain.

Edited by Replicant

Lohoof (Sighs of sorrow)

“Al-Lohoof ala Qatla al-Tofuf” is a heart-rending but detailed and authentic account of the tragedy of Karbala and the sacrifice of Imam Husayn (a.s.), it was written by renowned Shia scholar, Sayyid Raziuddin Ali bin Musa Ibn Ja'far bin Muhammad Ibn Tawus al-Hilli (r.a.) better known as Sayyid Ibn Tawus, that died 664 hijri. Sayyid Ibn Tawus (r.a.) was a top Shia scholar and thinker of the seventh century, and he belonged to the family of learned who wielded tremendous influence in the scientific, religious and political circles.

The book has been divided into three main parts:

1) The events before martyrdom (from the birth of Imam Husayn (a.s.) until the day of Ashura)

2) The detailed account of the day of Ashura and gallantry of Imam Husayn's (a.s.) companions

3) The incidents after the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (a.s.)

http://www.al-islam.org/lohoof-sighs-sorrow-sayyid-ibn-tawus

Salaam Alaykum, 

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have searched online and on al-islam.org, I am looking for anecdotes and stories from the life of Imam Hussein(as) before the event of Kerbala - in particular his kindness, generosity and humanity. I am planning to make a video to show the greatness of the character of the Imam. All I can find is related to 'Ashura.

Any help would be appreciated!

Ma'salaam