Sign in to follow this  
muntazir_eimam

The Golden Medical Dissertation - Imam Reza (as)

An extract from

The Golden Medical Dissertation

Al Mamun’s palace was at most times one of the seminars of knowledge and literature, especially as it concerns the time of Imam Reza (as). (Due to the various intellectual and scientific debates organized by Mamun).

Al Mamun once asked the Imam to open for him horizons to the science of systems of man’s body, to guide him to useful and harmful foodstuffs, and those things which harmed man’s body.

As a result Imam responded to al Mamun’s request and supplied him with al Risala al Dhahabiya fi al Tibb (Golden Medical Dissertation).

Al Mamun admired it and ordered it to be written in gold, to be copied many times, to be given to his sons, the members of his family, and the machinery of his government.

Here is a small extract from The Golden Medical Dissertation (Study/Essay) wherein Imam (as) discusses the various seasons of the year and the food and drinks which must be used therein.

Imam (as) says,

As for the season of spring, it is of the rest of time, and its beginning is March (Adhar); and therein day and night are good; the earth becomes soft; and the power of phlegm terminates; the blood becomes excited; and one must use light food and meat; and he must refrain from eating onions and garlic and sour (things) and he must use laxative therein; and he must use therein bloodletting and cupping.

April (Nisan) is thirty days; day lengthens therein; the temper of the season becomes strong, the blood moves; the east wind blows; roasted foods are used therein; what is prepared with vinegar; the meats of (birds and animals which are) hunted; drink water before breakfast; smell flowers and scent.

May (Ayyar) is thirty one days; the winds become clear there in, it is at the end of the season of spring, one must refrain from salty foods, think meat such as heads and beef, and yogurt; entering the bathroom at the beginning of day is useful therein; and sport before lunch is reprehensible therein.

June (Huzuyran) is thirty days; the power of phlegm terminates therein; the time of the yellow bile comes; one must refrain from tiredness and eating abundant meat; one must smell musk and ambergris; it is useful to eat cold vegetables such as endive and purslane, to eat greens such as cucumber, purgative manna, ripe fruit, to use soured things; of the meat is goat and young goat; of the birds is chickens, dull – yellow partridge (tahiyujj), francolins; yogurt and fresh fish.

As for July (Tammuz), it is the heaviest of all the months of the year and the most harmful of them towards man. That is because of the intense heat which occurs when water goes down.

August (Ab) is thirty one days; the simoon (hot wind) becomes intense therein; cold becomes exited at night; the north wind blows; temper becomes good through patting and moistening; it is useful to drink yogurt; one must decrease sport, and smell cold flowers.

September (Aylul) is thirty days; the air becomes good therein; the power of the black bile becomes strong; having laxative is good, it is useful to eat sweets and moderate various kinds of meats such as that of young goats and mutton; one use therein perfume with moderate temper, and refrain from eating melon and cucumber.

October (Tishrin al Awwal) is thirty one days, various winds blow in it; one must breathe the east wind, avoid bloodletting and taking medicine; it is useful to have meat in spices; one must decrease drinking water; and sport is praiseworthy in it.

November (Tishrin al Thani) is thirty days; seasonal rains comes down in it, one must not drink water at night, take a mouthful of warm water in the early morning every day, avoid eating vegetables such as celery, mint and watercress.

December (Kanun al Awwal) is thirty – one days, storms become strong and cold becomes intense in it; it is useful to have all that which has been mentioned in November (Tishrin al-Thani); one must be cautious of having cold foods and guard against cupping and bloodletting; and he must use therein foods which are actually and potentially hot.

January (Kanun al Thani) is thirty – one days; the power of phlegm is strong in it; one must have a mouthful of warm water before breakfast; one must have in it hot vegetables such as celery, watercress, and leek; entering the bathroom and massaging (the body) with al – Khayri ointment is useful in it, one must be careful of sweet things, eating fresh fish and having yogurt.

February (Shibat) is twenty – eight days; the winds become different in it; rain increases, grass appears; water flows in the hollow; it is useful to eat garlic, the meat of bird and animals which are hunted and fruit; one must decrease eating sweet; abundant sport and movement is praiseworthy therein.

This is just a very small extract of the Golden Medical Dissertation. The full Dissertation can be found in the below mentioned book.

Reference: Life of Ali bin Musa ar Reza (as) – Baqir Sharif Qarashi

(bismillah)

(salam)

Subhan Allah!! Really those are the loosers (khasraneen) who don't know imam Rida (as), i feel sad for them. He was (and is) a blessing from Allah, a mercy for the Shias if only the rest of people knew!!!

May Allah give us his shaf3aa every moment in our life...

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is interesting. Can any of the doctors here comment on it? Do people analyse the medical advices of The Prophet (pbuh) and Imams (as) ?

Momin

OMG miracles on top of miracles recently. I am from the descendants of Imam Reza (A.S.) and Im studying to be a doctor. That is, i know i know dont laugh, but that is miracle #2 (as far as im concerned), which happened just now too, lol. And the first miracle was when I realized (im 24 but just realized a month back, yes, i know) that i was born on the 1st day of october(10th month), making it 1-10....that was miracle #1. Anyway pray for my sucess tommorow morning, board exams step1. Inshallah, God will help me get through it in a breeze.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Pleasure.

It's attached below.

ws

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Br. Ya Aba Abdillah........ is the full book available on the net ... can u plz.. give d link...

or send its soft copy if u hv it...

which other book's do u hv?

Br. Ya Aba Abdillah........ is the full book available on the net ... can u plz.. give d link...

or send its soft copy if u hv it...

which other book's do u hv?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Salaams,

I was also interested, so I did a little search and found the following link. Unfortunately, it's in Arabic so I'm not sure if it is going to be of any use to you?

http://www.rafed.net/books/aam/goldmsg/

Ar-Risalah al-Thahabiyyah. The Golden Letter .

A treatise on medicine and health matters written in the form of a letter by Imam al-Ridha (a.s) who was responding to a request by the Abbasid caliph al-Ma’mun who was insisting on the Imam to provide him with information on the maintenance of health and the use of foods and drinks in achieving that. Upon receiving it, the caliph ordered it to be written in gold. The letter consists of thirteen chapters. Its date goes back to 201-201 A.H.

The talk of "yellow" and "black" bile is a complete turn-off. Any doctor will tell you that is rubbish. Also cupping is out of the question as a treatment for most diseases (if not all). I seriously doubt the Imam (as) wrote this otherwise he was either pandering to the intellect of the time or he was just plain wrong.

The letter is narrated through a person called Muhammad ibn Jumhoor who is an unreliable narrator with corrupt beliefs according to the books of biography. He's also been labeled an extremist, so it could be that he attributed this to the Imam (as) thinking it made the Imam sound clever.

Edited by .InshAllah.

.InshAllah. said:
The letter is narrated through a person called Muhammad ibn Jumhoor who is an unreliable narrator with corrupt beliefs according to the books of biography. He's also been labeled an extremist, so it could be that he attributed this to the Imam (as) thinking it made the Imam sound clever.

Allahu A`lam of course, but it seems a lot of these types of things might have arrived to us that way. I mean narrations wherein the Imam is supposed to be discussing something about nature, the universe, its workings, etc., which at the time might have sounded impressive but nowadays strikes one as just being incorrect. It seems the ghulat were particularly to blame for such forging, thinking that by doing so it demonstrated the cosmic nature of the Imams' knowledge. Hashim Ma`ruf al-Hasani discusses this in his al-Mawdhu`at fii 'l-Athar wa 'l-Akhbar (interesting book btw).

macisaac said:
Allahu A`lam of course, but it seems a lot of these types of things might have arrived to us that way. I mean narrations wherein the Imam is supposed to be discussing something about nature, the universe, its workings, etc., which at the time might have sounded impressive but nowadays strikes one as just being incorrect. It seems the ghulat were particularly to blame for such forging, thinking that by doing so it demonstrated the cosmic nature of the Imams' knowledge. Hashim Ma`ruf al-Hasani discusses this in his al-Mawdhu`at fii 'l-Athar wa 'l-Akhbar (interesting book btw).

There are many ahadith that relate the cosmic nature of the Imam's knowledge which are validated by modern knowledge, but I have to agree that many others are most probably forgeries attributed to the Aimmah (as) for the very reasons you mention.

I remember a discussion I had the Sayed Mahdi Al-Modaresi about 5 years ago where he mentioned a hadith from Bihar al Anwar. Allamah Tabatabai had written a commentary of riwayaat from said work and had declared this particular tradition could not be authentic on the basis of modern knowledge. I can't remember the hadith verbatim (perhaps you are aware of it, Br. macisaac) but it went something along the lines that Imam as-Sadiq (as) narrated that the earth was surrounded by a mountain (the mythical Qaf?) by which the earth was protected. Because of it the sky was coloured blue, and were it to disappear, the inhabitants of the earth would be destroyed.

Now, modern astronomical knowledge proves without a doubt that the earth is not surrounded by a mountain. We do, however, know that the ozone layer is the cause of our sky being the colour it is, and were the ozone layer to disappear, this planet's inhabitants would most surely be destroyed. Allamah Tabatabai's commentary was written before the discovery of the science behind the ozone layer.

Now, it could be that the hadith is a forgery which is coincidentally partially verified by modern science, or it could be that the Imam was using terms or language which could be understood by the people of his time. Alternatively, the part about the mountain could simply have been added by a narrator somewhere along the line because they thought it made the Imam sound more mystical (or for any number of reasons).

I personally believe the Aimmah (as) possess cosmic knowledge, though I have not been convinced that they have knowledge of everything at any one time, and I am certainly not convinced by those who attribute demiurgic powers to them. Some posit them as demigods, and others as simply the most pious fuqaha from the Prophet's family, obedience to whom is wajib. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between.

Now, it could be that the hadith is a forgery which is coincidentally partially verified by modern science, or it could be that the Imam was using terms or language which could be understood by the people of his time.

I agree with this statement.

And herein lies the problem of language - the fact is that the Imam AS would be using terms & language that would be common parlance of his time so that the information would be more easily understood & received. He won't have called out the whole atomical structure/ substructure/ whatever of modern science but the ESSENCE of what he said at his historical period is the same as what we would understand when we read it today.

And the ESSENCE of what he said is the most important part of his message because through understanding it, we can see through anachronistic language and get his main point. I think this is a problem when reviewing many historical documents and we need to keep this in mind.

Anyways,I think that the advice put down in the Golden Medical Dissertation is quite useful.It is logical & correct to say that the body responds to the environmental stimuli by causing its organs to produce certain secretions/hormones/ mucus etc more in certain months than others & that our diet affects the internal state of the body, etc.

Modern medicine is a complete failure at getting to the root cause & solving many diseases...it's seems its more a business than anything for the multinational capitalist drug companies & doctors than actually solving the underlying CAUSES of disease...which stems ultimately from our diet & lifestyle.

Coincidentally I came across this, see the last paragraph:

post-6473-12549458033668_thumb.jpg

in an article by S. Rizvi on Imam Ali al-Rida (a.s.) Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopaedia, ed. J. W. Meri, London/New York: Routledge, 2006.

Coincidentally I came across this, see the last paragraph:

post-6473-12549458033668_thumb.jpg

in an article by S. Rizvi on Imam Ali al-Rida (a.s.) Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopaedia, ed. J. W. Meri, London/New York: Routledge, 2006.

Interesting, though he's being too certain on the Fiqh ar-Rida book being the work of ash-Shamalghani. That's one theory, but more likely I'd think it is actually the risala that Shaykh Saduq's father (ar) wrote.

ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã æ ÑÍãÉ Çááå æ ÈÑßÇÊå - Peace be upon you, as well as Allah's pity and his blessings

Çááøåã Õáø Úáì ãÍãøÏ æ Âáå ÇáØøíøÈíä ÇáØÇåÑíä - May Allah's blessing be upon Mu7ammad and his Generous and Pure Family

ÈÓã Çááå ÇáÑøÍãä ÇáÑøÍíã - In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful

ÚÙøã Çááøå ÃÌæÑßã Úáì ãÕÇÈ ÇáÅãÇã ÌÚÝÑ ÇáÕÇÏÞ Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã - May Allah increase your good deeds for the loss of the Imâm Ja3far al-9âdi8 -as-

---

Hello everybody,

I don't want to be off-topic, but just to answer the curiosity of rzairul...

It's because the arabs in iraq and in the levant countries (bilâd al-'sâm) which comprises syria, jordan, lebanon, and palestine uses the former babylonian inspired calendar for solar months:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_names_of_calendar_months#Levant

And you will see the following if you check your link again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar

"The Babylonian exile in the 6th century BCE influenced the calendar, including the adoption of Babylonian names for the months."

Sticking back to the subject, i don't have any knowledge about dietary advice (i need some myself as i'm 24 Kgs/50 lbs overweight :dry:)

---

æ Úáíßã ÇáÓáÇã æ ÑÍãÉ Çááå æ ÈÑßÇÊå - And upon you be peace, as well as Allah's pity and his blessings