- - -

Photo

matam(chest beating) without shirts

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: it is allowed to matam (beat the chest) (167 member(s) have cast votes)

it is allowed to matam (beat the chest)

1. yes (94 votes [57.32%])

Percentage of vote: 57.32%

2. no (38 votes [23.17%])

Percentage of vote: 23.17%

3. both are ok (32 votes [19.51%])

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 loveahlulbayt4ever

loveahlulbayt4ever

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:37 AM

Assalam alaikum,
I would like to tell you about your question because I asked a similar question to your from a mulana. I asked him why he wasn't doing matam after his speeches. He replied that sometimes the men go crazy and take their shirts off and there are women around them. So what's the point of doing matam when the women see you like that it is harram. But you can do it with your shirts on infront of women. I hope that helped you.

#27 Dhulfiqar

Dhulfiqar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts
  • Interests:Interest? Isn't that haram? =)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:48 AM

I have several questions:

1. According to Shariah what should be the least that a male should cover?

2. If there are images of people doing matam like in a video, or photographs, and the men are 'strangers' (ie you can not tell them apart) does the ruling change?

Wa Salaam,
Dhulfiqar

#28 Matami-Shah

Matami-Shah

wanna play?

• Banned
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:09 AM

Wa Salaam,
Dhulfiqar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

belly button to knees

thats y we wrap chadar around our stomach during matam so the navel isnt exposed!

#29 Matami-Shah

Matami-Shah

wanna play?

• Banned
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:18 AM

^_^

Attached Files

• Attached File  cr.jpg   49.68KB   29 downloads

#30 iraqi_shia

iraqi_shia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:44 AM

if you are doing this act for the sake of Allah, i cant see how it would make any difference to just leave your shirt on and stop embarasing your selves and maintain the moral standards of the area.

#31 Matami-Shah

Matami-Shah

wanna play?

• Banned
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:52 AM

how is it embarrassing? if people take their tops off how is it gona mess the moral standards of the area?

and since when do we do matam for/to Allah :unsure:

Edited by Matami-Shah, 27 February 2005 - 12:00 PM.

#32 Abdulhujjah

Abdulhujjah

íÇ ÇÈÇ ÕÇáÍ ãÏÏí

• Advanced Members
  • 8,436 posts
  • Interests:Staying real, I hate fake people

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

2. If there are images of people doing matam like in a video, or photographs, and the men are 'strangers' (ie you can not tell them apart) does the ruling change?

Wa Salaam,
Dhulfiqar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(bismillah)

(salam)

1. Private Part covering is sufficient i.e genitals and the anus is usually covered by the cheeks. But it is preferrable that a person covers from navel to kness however it isn't obligatory. Hence a person can wear jocks.

2. It's only forbidden to watch if it's done with lust.

Wassalaam

#33 Rind

Rind
  • Advanced Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:02 PM

hmm i think during ma 15 years of stay in khi i hav been at all jaloos and majalis in khi which were held at nashter park and anyone who attended those gatherings on 10 mauharram nos how jam packed it izz hardly any space now wat r ladies suppose to do if they r at kurasen doing ziyarat of the zari and land up seeing guyzz doing matam widout dere shirtzzz hmm soo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)
(bismillah)
Well I think that it is saying of Masoom (as) to wept on Ceptives of Sham and Martyreds of Karabalah as mother wept on death of his own son.
I don't think the mother well see anyones body movements and if any one did such then it her or his deed. We have to answer about our deeds.
Well about Isalm men don't have ristriction of hijab and as far as our satar is concerned it is fullfilled even without shirts soo practice islam not culture

#34 LaYdee_110

LaYdee_110

Milllkkkyyyy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Interests:Interesting. Now What?

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:19 AM

. Private Part covering is sufficient i.e genitals and the anus is usually covered by the cheeks. But it is preferrable that a person covers from navel to kness however it isn't obligatory. Hence a person can wear jocks.

WHATS JOCKS??u mean socks??:unsure:

i think that all women who participate in jalooses, should do the ziaraat of the zuljanah, alaaams etc..then go back inside...coz theres noway these women are not looking at the mens...ok not in a lustful way but i mean like looking gossiping laughin etc...

#35 Qamre_Bani_Hashim

Qamre_Bani_Hashim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:17 AM

shirts off B)

#36 Dhulfiqar

Dhulfiqar

• Advanced Members
  • 8,972 posts
  • Interests:Interest? Isn't that haram? =)

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:31 AM

. Private Part covering is sufficient i.e genitals and the anus is usually covered by the cheeks. But it is preferrable that a person covers from navel to kness however it isn't obligatory. Hence a person can wear jocks.
WHATS JOCKS??u mean socks??:unsure:

i think that all women who participate in jalooses, should do the ziaraat of the zuljanah, alaaams etc..then go back inside...coz theres noway these women are not looking at the mens...ok not in a lustful way but i mean like looking gossiping laughin etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually without women, there is no Jaloos. The Procession is symbolism to the women and children of Karbala being paraded (or processioned) in Shaam. If there are women that are laughing on the day of Ashura (or Gossiping) that's not our problem, they will have to answer to Bibi Fatima (as) and when Imam Ali (as) is giving out the shares of paradise he will know who was crying and who was laughing on the day his beloved son Husain (as) was martyred.

We should not punish everyone for the ills of a select few.

Wa Salaam,
Dhulfiqar

#37 Qamre_Bani_Hashim

Qamre_Bani_Hashim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

^^ well sed B)

#38 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

dont get ppl that take their shirt off infront of women..

#39 Qamre_Bani_Hashim

Qamre_Bani_Hashim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:36 AM

nt our fault women look.....they shud caste their eyes dwn B)

#40 rumz4eva

rumz4eva
  • Advanced Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:06 AM

well i dont know any1 is frm dubai here.... over here there arnt ne sort f jolosses... i mean v dont really have nethin like a joloos....

#41 illegaliser

illegaliser
  • Advanced Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

should not take your shirt off fullstop...dont make excuses whether women should be looking or not... its the same as standing naked in the street and asking people why theyre looking...common sense.

ignorance is haram

#42 Vengeance110

Vengeance110

Wajahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Everything except haram..

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

Yes,
It is permitted..

#43 lesoizas

lesoizas

lesoizas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:~Seek <br /> And<br /> Share<br /> Knowledge~

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

(salam)
(bismillah)

Shirts on or off just doesn't matters.... just a sincere heart.... Aperson doin matam without shirt mus b having a sincere intention and not for show-off... if he's doing it with the good intention... den wats wrong in dat???

You do matam with ur shirts on or off.... dis kinda questions produce nothing but controversy... So lets look at are own deeds, if u feel not to do so then don't, no1 is forcing u...

Ya Imam Bro/sis i think u might have got ur answer that ity is allowed and now i request bro/sis who said... it's not allowed... you guyss pls bring forth any rulings for claim....

Khuda hafiz,
Iltemaase dua

#44 begnning

begnning

[..]I ma student from the lands of Khaki matti[..]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:&quot; Things don't change people change( LiFe ChAnGeS )&quot;

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:05 PM

Yes,
It is permitted..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nice shirt .....

is it for sale... i want one
You except credit card or check

#45 Afghan_Muslimah

Afghan_Muslimah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:53 PM

how is it embarrassing? if people take their tops off how is it gona mess the moral standards of the area?

and since when do we do matam for/to Allah :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everything should be done for the sake of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì and for those who do matam. Even that includes the sacrifice of Imam Husayn (as) to become closer to AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. It's not just for sake of Imam Husayn (as) alone.....

wasalam,
Eman

#46 Guest_DjibrilCisse_*

Guest_DjibrilCisse_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

the chest-beaters should be wearing shirts....

:!!!:

Nice one by Sheikh Najafi.

Chest beaters!

#47 Vengeance110

Vengeance110

Wajahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Everything except haram..

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

(salam)
(bismillah)

Shirts on or off just doesn't matters.... just a sincere heart.... Aperson doin matam without shirt mus b having a sincere intention  and not for show-off... if he's doing it with the good intention... den wats wrong in dat???

You do matam with ur shirts on or off.... dis kinda questions produce nothing but controversy... So lets look at are own deeds, if u feel not to do so then don't, no1 is forcing u...

Ya Imam Bro/sis i think u might have got ur answer that ity is allowed and now i request bro/sis who said... it's not allowed... you guyss pls bring forth any rulings for claim....
Khuda hafiz,
Iltemaase dua

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Salam,
I bought that in 2004 in Montral Canada..I bought it for 15 Canadian Dollars but i got the chain engraved personally..It will cost u 40 Canadian Dollars...

#48 alizaheer

alizaheer
  • Advanced Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

(salam)

Moved to Muharram section :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello everyone,

Thats is the Mohabbat one has for Imams. I would like to request not to post any comments such as its haram or anything, as someone can be offended by this.

Contribute in your own way, if you want to beat yourself with shirts on, do so
and if you want to beat ure chest, without shirts, go ahead.

but please critcize mat karo!

Thanks
Ali

#49 Ali Naqi

Ali Naqi

Ya Ali Ya Ali Ya Ali

• Chat Mod
  • 3,201 posts
  • Interests:Love of Ahlulbayt (as)

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:16 PM

Salam

I don't get you people making a mountain of a hill.

Everyone has there own way in expressing their feelings and love for Imam Hussain (as) and his great sacrifice. A person doing matam for Imam Hussain (as) with a shirt on isn't more better than the one who does matam without his shirt off, likewise. It's the way one would feel more comfortable and close to the Imam (as) in his actions.

Women shouldn't be looking at the men's whilst doing matam in the first place, if they are then they will be answerable on the Day of Judgement.

Ali Ali

Wasalam

#50 Akm_Nawab_718

Akm_Nawab_718

• Banned
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:27 PM

and since when do we do matam for/to Allah  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brother, there is no use in arguing with people who are still confused on the meaning matam. These people are just insulting themselves.

Matam is keepign our religion alive, even after the sunni/wahabi mindset is infiltrating confused shia youth. When a matamdar takes off his shirt, it is not immoral on his part, but it is haram on the part of the person to stare and ridicule.

should not take your shirt off fullstop...dont make excuses whether women should be looking or not... its the same as standing naked in the street and asking people why theyre looking...common sense.

since when do shias, or anyone else, care about others? Only people who feel insecure care about what other people think.

Shirts on or off just doesn't matters.... just a sincere heart.... Aperson doin matam without shirt mus b having a sincere intention and not for show-off... if he's doing it with the good intention... den wats wrong in dat???

mashallah

The "shias" who are stating "its not allowed" are basically out of their minds. These people are forgetting the pain each member of the ahel-e-bait went through, do not realize how Bibi fatima (as) is accepting the intention of a matamdar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users