syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:43 AM

(bismillah)

(salam)

where can i order all 3 volumes of Hayat al Qulub by Majlisi?

W.salaam

#2 kanez-e-Zahra

kanez-e-Zahra

Al-AJAL YA MAWLA YA SAHIB ZAMAN!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:26 AM

(salam)

You can get vol 1 and 3 from here (but not 2).
They are based in Iran (Qom). Their services, I’ve been told is very good.

http://www.ansariyan...lpha.php?flag=H

EDIT: Sorry you didn't mention in what language, so I assumed English. :unsure:

ws

Edited by kanez-e-Zahra, 29 November 2004 - 10:29 AM.

#3 Al-Murtadha

Al-Murtadha

live to love Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:29 AM

(salam)

I have the volume on the ambiyaa' and I find it extremely 'iffy'. I would still encourage you to get it since knowledge is limitless but when you read it, read it with a grain of salt, its nearly impossible to tell what is fake and what is authentic in that book, so i wouldnt really call it a source of solid information.

#4 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:10 PM

its nearly impossible to tell what is fake and what is authentic in that book

so u saying majlisi included fake hadith in his book which we suppose to be reading and following? shouldnt a book written to guide us contain sahih hadith... i kno hadith books contain weak and sahih hadith.. but this is a book written by him which should have hadith in them which he thinks their sahih , rite??

EDIT: Sorry you didn't mention in what language, so I assumed English

you assumed rite.. Thanks bro..

#5 Al-Murtadha

Al-Murtadha

live to love Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:29 AM

so u saying majlisi included fake hadith in his book which we suppose to be reading and following?  shouldnt a book written to guide us contain sahih hadith... i kno hadith books contain weak and sahih hadith.. but this is a book written by him which should have hadith in them which he thinks their sahih , rite??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

The Allama doesnt say anywhere that the book is sahih. In his Biharul Anwar, majority of the ahadeeth are non-sahih, and most of "Hayatul Qulub" is taken from Biharul Anwar which would explain the abundance of strange and awkward incidents that make absolutely no sense, lol. In this book he doesnt provide a chain of narrators and he doesnt grade the hadeeth as being "sahih" or "hasan" or "da'eef" or whatever else.

Brother Syed, I would only advise that either you dont buy the book, or you buy it KNOWING that you should read carefully and not just accept whatevers in there :)

on another note, since these ahadeeth are not fiqh related, not "following" them wont hurt you. They are merely examples and incidents from the lives of the prophets which may perhaps inspire you for the better insha Allah. However if you DO follow them and accept them to be true, you may very well be carrying degrading thoughts about some of the prophets, because believe me some of these ahadeeth are a bit degrading, and we as Muslim should think most highly of our prophets

fee ammanillah :)

Edited by Al-Murtadha, 30 November 2004 - 09:31 AM.

#6 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

Brother Syed, I would only advise that either you dont buy the book, or you buy it KNOWING that you should read carefully and not just accept whatevers in there 

well im not gonna buy it.. whats the point in reading a book if it contains lies..I thought atleast what majlisi could do is only include hadith in his book which he gernerally thinks is sahih, and not just include any hadith in his book without checking on its authenticity..

this has really let me down..that is why i have asked for in my other thread for some books by these scholars of the past.. but it looks like theres no point in reading them since it contains weak hadith..

seriously,, if majlisi included hadith which he thinks were sahih (but really arent) thats a different thing and i still would have brought it, cuz thats his ijtehad on it, and its interesting to know why he thougth that was sahih.. bt if he included hadith which are lies without checking, then thats stupid and u know it,,

one of the best scholars, cant even do a good job in writing a book??

sorry, i kno im bein rude, but this is really bothering me..

w.salaam

#7 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

by the way.. what other books did majlisi write, besides behar anwar and hayat qulub>?

#8 Al-Murtadha

Al-Murtadha

live to love Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:39 PM

(salam)

Ya brother I know its a bit of a turn off. The intention here though wasnt to discourage you from getting the book. Since you are now aware that it definately has non-sahih ahadeeth, you will be more objective when reading. So I would suggest that you get it purely with the intention of being inspired by some nice incidents. Im not saying the entire book is [Edited Out], na'udhu billah, i think it would do you good to read it and judge for yourself since my opinions may be subjective and limited; but read it carefully and dont accept everything. As for the allama, I also wish that he had provided atleast his opinion on the isnad, but he doesnt. Basically its just a compilation of the hadeeths, and he leaves it for the reader to take it or leave it at will. Im not so sure what other books majlisi may have complied besides these two.

fee ammanillah :)

#9 Peer

Peer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,942 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

by the way.. what other books did majlisi write, besides behar anwar and hayat qulub>?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the encyclopediac work by Allamah Majlisi (ar). Let me give you an example, in vol. II/I of Hiyatul Qulub (which is about the life of Holy Prophet (pbuh) ) he has gathered so much information about every aspect of his life. For example, he has written that according to this and this, Prophet (pbuh) had joint-eyebrows. And just next to this, he has written that according to this, his eyebrows were NOT joint.

So you know it is an encyclopediac sort of work, seems like he has included whatever he could find.

Majlisi (ar) was known better as a compiler (he was such so good with referencing and all) than as a writer.

As for his other works:

-Hilyatul Awliya (called Tahdhibul Islam in Urdu/English).
-Ain-ul-Hiyat

Dont know about other books :unsure:

-
Wa'Salam
Ali

#10 kanez-e-Zahra

kanez-e-Zahra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:38 AM

(salam)

I do agree with bro Al-Murtadha that the books should be read carefully and some things are hard to swallow, but I still think they are an interesting read. You can always verify everything you read.

ws

#11 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:02 PM

You can always verify everything you read.

how are we mujtehids?
and sumtimes a story might sound weird but still its true..and a story that makes sense might be fake.. thats why i wanted atleast majlisi grading on the hadith..#so im not buyin the books

#12 kanez-e-Zahra

kanez-e-Zahra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:08 PM

how are we mujtehids?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

I meant verify it from other sources available. For example there are a few… I would say degrading and unacceptable incidents attached to the Holy Prophet (pbuh), which although seem acceptable to our sunnis brothers is widely rejected by the shias.

Like brother Peer said it seemed he had included whatever he could find.

ws :)

#13 jlainqatar

jlainqatar

Mabrook alaycom as-shahr!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • Interests:Islam, education, psychology, exercise/sports

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:39 AM

Selam alaycom,

I got all 3 volumes from Ansariyan.

Peace,
Um Ali

#14 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:32 AM

I meant verify it from other sources available

and what other sources are they... Did majlisi mention them in his books? like at the end of it? so we can refer to it.. and how we kno them hadith are sahih?

#15 Bro.Djibril

Bro.Djibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Interests:Islam Original, world religions, world history, physics, and general reading.

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

If you live in the U.S. then you can buy from Al-Khoei center - all three volumes.

https://www.al-khoei.org:81/catalog/

#16 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:20 AM

i live in the UK, and i dont see the need of the book...

#17 MuhammadwuAli

MuhammadwuAli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Religion:14 that leads to 1

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:55 AM

(salam)

Since the thought here is that sahih hadith is not givin well from majlisi, who as in allama wise or author wise gives the realest hadith, or what books are true as in clost to true? Thanks, hope you guys understand what im trying to say lol
:)

#18 Hassoon

Hassoon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:15 AM

(bismillah)

Syed Shia, if you get this reply please note something about Majlisi's works:

Majlisi had the job of compiling practically every shia hadith that ever existed all together in one book. That is Bihar al anwar. He spent some 23 years (I think more) to compile the hadiths together. His aim was not to verify the hadiths but just to get them all down. His works are indeed tremendous efforts so it is not undermining his work that there are so many weak narrations in there.

He did not rely on his judgement for verifying hadiths for obvious reasons.

And Allah knows best.

#19 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:49 PM

so is there a rijal (commentary) on hayatul qulub? has any person wrote a commentary on it, so i can know which hadith is sahih or not?
if there is, only then will i buy hayatul qulub + the commentary

#20 sazim

sazim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

Dear Members

I have all the 3 volumes in URDU, and I have read it in its entirety, its definitely a compilation of all the hadiths, but in URDU version, there is a ranking of all HADITHS.

I havent found anything degrading about our Prophet in these books
and I respect Majlisi immensely.

There are lots of stories which sounds simply amazing and hard to believe, since our so called scientific mind is so accustomed to seek logic every where, it has become very difficult for us to believe all the miracles of god, which he shows through his messengers.

regards

sazim

#21 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

there is a ranking of all HADITHS.

really? so who gave the ranking of the hadith? was it majlisi himself?

#22 phoenix

phoenix

THE snob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:liqa'-Allah

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

(salam)

I got the 3rd vol. on my HDD (I haven't as yet read it so no comments). If you don't mind reading up something that can be delivered to you free I can ZIP that to you. And that Urdu version I need to look up too; I've borrowed the other 2 volumes from a friend; right now I'm reading up on Holy Prophet's (pbuh) life (this is in English); the other is in Urdu so I need to verify Sazim's claim.

Was salaam]
*Zahra*

#23 phoenix

phoenix

THE snob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:liqa'-Allah

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:51 AM

(salam)

Ok I did go through the Urdu version and it does have the ranking by Allamah Majlisi (A.R.) himself probably although the chain of narrators is not mentioned; however he does say that this particular hadith is sahih/mu'tabir/hasan.... and which ma'sumeen (as) it reaches to.

W/S

#24 majafri

majafri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:56 PM

I recommend that you only read perhaps Volume 1 (for interesting stories of the Anbiya), and certainly Volume 3. Read Volume 3 and insha-Allah your mind will be blown - it contains a lot of esoteric tafsirs of the Quran and it is somewhat a "dummy's guide" to asraar-e-Imamat. The chapter on the tafsir of the verse of noor from Surah Noor is absolutely beautiful for instance.

The good thing about many of the hadith given in Volume 3 is that Allamah Majlisi also comments on the authenticity of many of hadith that he gives (eg, by saying "through authentic chains via Ali ibn Ibrahim"). He does not list the full chain, but I think that these chains CAN probably be followed up on by those who are interested. Having said that, if someone here has ever failed in their attempt to verify such authenticity (as claimed by Allamah Majliisi) is welcome to correct me here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users