Sign in to follow this  
Guest AR

What is'muta'?

Rate this topic

Guest AR

Can you please tell me exactly what is muta with the literal meaning?

what are the sources that it is backed by the prophets teachings if any?

How is it performed i.e. what are the requirements?

Is it practiced today, is it a wide spread thing or is it just  done by 1 or 2 people here and there?

How much in practised in Shia Iran, is it promoted? what about in the UK?

Salaam alaikum,

Maybe this book can answer some of your questions.  

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/muta/

I wouldn't say mutah is promoted.  It's halal, but in general I think I would say that permanent marriage is promoted and temporary marriage is allowed.    Kind of like Monogamy is promoted, but polygamy is allowed.  There are different needs in any given society, at any given time.  Polygamy is allowed for certain social circumstances, and so is mutah.

I think the link given by sis Hajer is very good.

Regarding other questions:

The "muta=temporarly marriage" is almost NOT exist in Najaf, Karbala, Kathymia. I dont know about Iran or other shia populations in Lebanon , saudia, bahrain.. may other have better say.

Her in Canada, it is well know among youths who dont have families. I should call them "Muta" abusers. They just looking for their animal desir by the name of Muta, in the same way that u see someone eating alot till he end up in the hospital, and those youths end up with NO wife/kids or a real family.

Is it recomended? as sis Hajer said, it is allowed, but not promoted. It is just a solution for specific situations, it is not an execus of looking after woman. Unfortunatelly, I saw a lot of youths in university, makeing of this as an execus of looking after girls, traping them, and you can imagin all the Haram they are doing to get what they called Muta marriage. If they really care about the religon, they would try at least to convey the spirt of Islam, which is all at against the abusing the feeling of any human beings. I heared many stories how BAD boys insult the feeling of girls by telling them "I love u", then after few weeks or months, when they got their animal desir, they dont care to even call these girls... Is that Islam, is that good way of building relationship with this socity, do u think Allah accept that...NO at all.

By the waay, Muta required exactly the same what is required by the permenent marriage. The difference, you put a condition that it will end after a period. If you are Sunny, it is like makeing a marriage with a condition to get divorce after a period which is allowed by all sunny sectes to the best of my knowledge.

Salam alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu,

In Iran Mutah is highly appalled.  It's not something common at all.  It's really only for special circumstances; like during war, or for getting to know somebody for the prospects of getting permanently married.

Edited By Mujahid on 1028074755

I'm gonna something that may get people looking at me in a strange way. But it's not that I care. I did mutaa with my wife before we got married. I was not engaged. I don't know what engagement means, to me it is meaningless. I don't know what engagement is in shariah, unless someone can explain it to me.

So anyway, since it's not permissable for me to be with her, like going out and so on, so the only way for me to be with her is through mutaa. No sex though, since that would mean unnecessary burden on both parties if it doesn't work out, for example she get's pregnant, and maybe that she is no longer a virgin, it will cause her future life partner to belittle her when he finds out. And also I don't like "using" other people just to benefit my "needs", Allah (SWT) already said, what is in your hearts will be revealed, so the intention has to be good.

Here is the funny part! OK I come from a country where 99% are sunnis. People get engaged, they take their fiances all over, well a lot of them do, holding hands, go to movies, and stuff like that....yet you know what? People think it's ok!!! My God! Mutaa is considered as a sin and they think you belong in sakr or something (ok understandable since they are sunni). But I really don't get it. Mutaa is there, yet you choose some "traditional" engagement thing and say mutaa is haram but engagement is halal. Sorry folks, please explain, what's going on here!

And they say Shia is bad and this and that. I mean Sunnis here have 4 wives some of them neglect their older wives. Gimme a break!

Let's put it this way, some allowable acts (Mutaa, 4-wives) are permissable acts but not necessary recommended, can be abused. This is also a test for us, please do not abuse the provisions that Allah (SWT) has given to us, not only do you make for yourself a place in jahannam you are also making it difficult for other people by painting a bad picture of some of the laws of Islam.

Edited By 145_turbo_16V on 1028090513

salam alaykum brothers,

145_turbo_16V, if you think you are alone on this earth that thinks the same way, well i totally agree with you....

i dont see why our Islamic community is rather following Western Traditions as in Engagement and the after a couple of years Marriage or whatever ????

can someone explain ?

Guest socrates

Salam turbo,

Yep that's my exact point. 99% of people do Mut'a anyway but if you mention the word they are like "yuck". Hypocrites.