syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:55 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

I would like to buy a tafsir of the Quran...
But heres a catch, i dont want a recent tafsir, But i want the first ever tafsir written (obviously in accordance of the shia beliefs)...

Such as sunni have Ibn Kathir tafsir..

now which earliest tafsir do the shia have? and who by, cuz i really want to get my hand in to it..

w.salaam

#2 tahasyed

tahasyed

slave of Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Interests:Eating, sleeping, thinking, reading, religion, surfing the net, calligraphy, drawing, painting.. <br /><br /><br />..did I mention sleeping?

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:05 PM

There's one by Alama Tabarsi which is (comparitively) pretty early. It's called Majma' al-Bayan. It is, in fact, supposed to be so good that even sunni ulema refer to it and consider it valuable. :)
But I agree with Sayedkk, Tafsir-al-Mizan is by far the best. ^_^

#3 GenuFlecTioN

GenuFlecTioN

One who kneels before his Creator can stand upto anything

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:07 PM

(bismillah)

Salams,

www.almizan.org

The Author:
Posted Image
Al-Allamah al-Sayyid Muhammad Husayn at-Tabataba'i (1892-1981) is one of the greatest and the most original thinkers of the contemporary Muslim world. He was a prolific writer and an inspiring teacher, who devoted whole of his life to Islamic studies. His interests were varied and the scope of his learning was vast. His books number about forty-four, three of which are collections of his articles on various aspects of Islam and the Qur'an. His major contributions are in the fields of tafsir, philosophy and history of the Shi'ah faith. In philosophy the most important of his works is Usul-e falsafah wa rawish-e-riyalism (The Principles of Philosophy and the method of realism), which has been published in five volumes with explanatory notes and commentary of Martyr Murtadha Mutahhari. It deals with the Islamic outlook of the world, which is not only opposed to idealism that negates the reality of the corporeal world, but is also opposed to the materialistic conception of the world, which reduces all reality to ambiguous materialistic myths and fabrications. The point is established that while the Islamic world-outlook is realistic, both the idealistic and materialistic outlooks are unrealistic. His other major philosophical work is a voluminous commentary of al-Asfar al-'arba'ah, the magnum opus of Mulla Sadra, the last of the great Muslim thinkers of the medieval age. Besides these, he wrote extensively on philosophical issues. His humanist approach is underlined by his three books on man - before the world, in this world and after this world. His philosophy is overloaded with sociological treatment of human problems. His two other works, Bidayat al-hikmah and Nihayat al-hikmah, are considered among works of a high order in Muslim philosophy.

He wrote several treatises on the doctrines and history of the Shi'ah. One of these books comprises his clarifications and expositions about Shi'ah faith in reply to the questions posed by the famous French orientalist Henry Corbin. Another of his books on this topic Shi'ah dar Islam was translated into English by Sayyid Husayn Nasr under the title The Shi'ite Islam. These books serve as a good means of removing popular misconceptions about the Shi'ah and can pave the way for a better inter-sectarian understanding among Muslim schools.

If a single work is to be named as his masterpiece, al-Mizan can be mentioned without hesitation, which is the outcome of the 'Allamah's lifelong labor in the sphere of Qur'anic studies. His method, style and approach are uniquely different from those of all other exegetes of the Qur'an.
Among the aspects of 'Allamah Tabataba'I's personality is his unprecedented success as a great teacher. Among his pupils we find a group of such luminaries and thinkers of eminence in their own right as Martyr Murtada Mutahhari, Martyr Beheshti, Hasan Hasanzadeh Amuli and Husayn Nasr.
The 'Allamah was also a good poet. He composed the poetry mainly in Persian, but occasionally in Arabic also.

#4 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:47 PM

There's one by Alama Tabarsi which is (comparitively) pretty early. It's called Majma' al-Bayan. It is, in fact, supposed to be so good that even sunni ulema refer to it and consider it valuable.

can u tell me more about him please... His Date of Bith, where he was born,raised etc..

#5 tahasyed

tahasyed

slave of Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Interests:Eating, sleeping, thinking, reading, religion, surfing the net, calligraphy, drawing, painting.. <br /><br /><br />..did I mention sleeping?

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:02 AM

can u tell me more about him please... His Date of Bith, where he was born,raised etc..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From imamreza.net:
Amin al-Islam Abu Ali Fazl ibn Hasan al-Tabarsi, the great Shi'ite commentator of the Holy Qur'an expired in the year 548 A.H./1153 A.D., in Sabzewar and was buried in Bagh-i Rezwan, the cemetery situated between the Bast Shaykh Toosi and Bast Shaykh Tabarsi, at the entrance of the holy shrine of Imam Reza (A.S.). The avenue and the sanctuary (Bast) next to his grave has been named after him. He is the author of Majma al-Bayan and Jawameh al-Jameh, the two famous Shi'itess commentaries on the Holy Qur'an.

#6 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:08 AM

From imamreza.net:
Amin al-Islam Abu Ali Fazl ibn Hasan al-Tabarsi, the great Shi'ite commentator of the Holy Qur'an expired in the year 548 A.H./1153 A.D., in Sabzewar and was buried in Bagh-i Rezwan, the cemetery situated between the Bast Shaykh Toosi and Bast Shaykh Tabarsi, at the entrance of the holy shrine of Imam Reza (A.S.). The avenue and the sanctuary (Bast) next to his grave has been named after him. He is the author of Majma al-Bayan and Jawameh al-Jameh, the two famous Shi'itess commentaries on the Holy Qur'an.

thanks bro..Im definatly buying his works and the work of which have been recommended of Sayed al Allama Muhammed Husayn Tabatabai

#7 Abbas

Abbas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:06 AM

Salam Alaikum

An older tafsir is "Tafsir-ul-Qummi" by Sheikh Abul-hasan Ali ibn Ibrahim al-Qummi, who lived not long after the lesser occultation of the Imam [a]. I don't know the exact dates of his bith/death, but he lived i n the 3rd/4th century AH, i.e 9th/10th century AD, before Allama Tabrasi

Another one is "Tafsir ul-Ayashi" by Sheikh Ayashi Samarqandi, and he lived roughly at the same time as Sheikh Qummi, and his tafsir is of the same type as Tafsir ul QUmmi. He was a Sunni before, but became a Shia.

Both contain only narrations of ahadith about each verse, without any comments on their authenticity, and references are made to these two tafsirs by more recent mufassireen such as Majma-ul-Bayan and Mizan.

#8 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:42 AM

An older tafsir is "Tafsir-ul-Qummi" by Sheikh Abul-hasan Ali ibn Ibrahim al-Qummi, who lived not long after the lesser occultation of the Imam [a]. I don't know the exact dates of his bith/death, but he lived i n the 3rd/4th century AH, i.e 9th/10th century AD, before Allama Tabrasi

Another one is "Tafsir ul-Ayashi" by Sheikh Ayashi Samarqandi, and he lived roughly at the same time as Sheikh Qummi, and his tafsir is of the same type as Tafsir ul QUmmi. He was a Sunni before, but became a Shia.

Both contain only narrations of ahadith about each verse, without any comments on their authenticity, and references are made to these two tafsirs by more recent mufassireen such as Majma-ul-Bayan and Mizan.

thats really good. So they only explain the verses of the quran by using hadith, thats exellent and exactly what im looking for..

Can you tell me more about Sheikh Ayashi Samarqandi though> are his works reliable and authentic?

#9 TheCriterion

TheCriterion
  • Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:31 AM

Tafsir Minhaj-us-Sadiqeen, is a good Tafsir, and Tafsir-e-ayashi, Tafsir bulaghul Ayan, But I do recomend Tafsir Ibn Kathir, and Tafsir of recent sufi scholar, Ahmad Raza Khan Breali, the founder of Breali movement. I am sure yu will like the Tafsir of Ahmad Raza, it has been done from a devotional perspective, love of Rasool-Allah, his Ahlul Byt (Ahlul Bayt of Muslims), a really inspiring one which i fell in love with.

Ali

#10 Ali_Hashmi

Ali_Hashmi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:27 AM

(bismillah)
(salam)

I think the brother is looking for those translated into english?

#11 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:14 AM

I think the brother is looking for those translated into english?

Yes i am.. Need books in English Plz.

#12 TheCriterion

TheCriterion
  • Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:24 AM

Nah! I dont think there is a classical tafsir in English from shia religion's side, but you have quite few sunni Tafsir's in English, well known Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Tafsir of Qurtabi is being translated, Razi's is under consideration, but i dont think they will be translated soon, for those who can understand Urdu, you can find any brealvi site and it should have Ahmad Raza's Tafsir, thats my favorite one, and thats the one i would recogmend.

Ali

#13 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:43 AM

im trying to get my hands on to tafsir ibn kathir... But i also want a shia tafsir in english..

#14 Guest_sarmad_*

Guest_sarmad_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:06 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

well it depends on what it is your looking for. Differnt tafsirs offer differnt things, like al mizan will give you alot of .. insite in to the ayats deeper meanings.. and things like that. If you are looking for some thing that is more historical i suggest majmal bayan, which gives hadiths (from both sunni and shia sources) about what was happening at the times of the revelations of each verse.

here is a site that has a lot of great resorces on the holy quran.

Sunni and Shia, and it has links to a lot of tafsirs, including ibn kathir.

http://www.quran.org.uk/

Edited by sarmad, 21 October 2004 - 12:27 PM.

#15 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:26 PM

well it depends on what it is your looking for. Differnt tafsirs offer differnt things, like al mizan will give you alot of .. insite in to the ayats deeper meanings.. and things like that. If you are looking for some thing that is more historical i suggest majmal bayan, which gives hadiths (from both sunni and shia sources) about what was happening at the times of the revelations of each verse.

here is a site that has a lot of great resorces on the holy quran.

Sunni and Shia, and it has links to a lot of tafsirs, including ibn kathir.

well with the shia tafsir i only want them to provide shia hadith and no sunni ones.. I got my reasons for this and they are very understandable.. Just hard to explain..

#16 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:27 PM

thanks anyway for the site..

#17 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

man the site is really good :D

#18 TheCriterion

TheCriterion
  • Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:21 PM

[Mods note : SUSPENDED indefinitely for your comment, such comments about our ulema will not be tolerated on this site.]

Edited by Abdulhujjah, 22 October 2004 - 07:26 PM.

#19 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:32 PM

hey I just had a funny thought, look at the pic of khomeni, and put the emoticon of shaytan-face next to his pic, and then do you see the similaritys in them both, oh man, thats good observation, khomeni looks like shaytan, and his works prove so, and his face looks so

:shaytan: :shaytan: :shaytan:

So,... U kno how shaytan looks like eh? im not surprised,He probly ur best mate cuz ull be going der in the end..

I think u should be banned for insulting Imam Khomeini.. :angel:

#20 sayedzeeshan

sayedzeeshan

Man only gets what he strives for

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Interests:Finding out what my interests are

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:17 AM

Tafseer Majma Al-Bayaan is a great earlier work. But Best modern day commentry is By Allama Tabatabi and its no other than Al-Mizan http://www.almizan.org/

This site has got Two volumes online and different discourses including Academic,Scientific,Philosophical and much more.
I am sure once you read this commentary you will inshallah start loving it.

And there is another link to Tafseer Comparison
http://www.tafseercomparison.com/
It compares the tafseer of

Ibn Kathir
Quratabi
Maududi
Tabatabai

The first three are top class sunni mufaseerin and Allam Tabatabai is a shia mufassir

When you read it you will see the difference of class

You will love it , inshallah

#21 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:20 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Where can i buy Majma' al-Bayan by Alama Tabarsi in english in the UK. .

w.salaam

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users