Salaam alaikum,

A couple of day ago I found out I have diabetes. My Dr. didn't give me much info on it, when I went in to see her about it yesterday. All she said was take these pills twice a day, eat a healthy diet, and go for another test in two months.

Well humph, I think I need to know more than that. Does anyone know if there are Diabetes clinics in Canada, you know where they educate you on diet and other things related to diabetes?

Also, if any of you in Canada have diabetes or relatives with it, can you tell me what their number (the level thing) was when it was diagnosed. The system is different from the one in the US. My Sister and Brother have diabetes, so from them I know something about the levels. I want to see if mine is as bad as theirs. I don't think so, but since the scale is different, I can't tell. I want to know what is high, or really dangerous. The Dr told me normal is between 6 and 9 and mine is 19. I know that sounds bad, but I don't know how high it can get. She did say I wasn't coma material. So I don't think it's that bad.

When my Sister was diagnosed, with the US scale, her's was over 600. My brother's was over 300.

WaSalaam, Hajar

Salam,

Sis Hajar...

The number you are mentioning is the blood sugar level. In diabetes, the sugar level in the blood increases. There are two different units used to measure this level.

1) mg of sugar per dL of blood

2) mmoles of sugar per L of blood

In the US, the first type is used. In Canada, it is the second type.

The blood sugar level always increases after a person eats food. But high levels of sugar in the blood can be dangerous. To control this, the pancreas produces the a chemical called insulin. This hormone brings down the sugar level.

When a person has diabetes, enough insulin is not produced in his/her body to bring down the sugar level.

To control this, medications are given which (in many different) ways control the unwanted increase in the sugar level.

But when the disease is severe, insulin has to be injected into the body.

Diet always plays a major role. If a person is obese, he must try to lose weight. Do regular excerise.

In cases, where the sugar level goes to the extreme, a person can go into coma.

The normal blood sugar level (between meals) is in the range of 6-9mmol/L or 80-120mg/dL. This level goes up soon after taking a meal, but gradually comes down to the previous level over an hour or so.

Coma would normally occur at 600 mg/dL or about 38 mmol/L.

You are not in that range, but still 19 mmol/L is high.

Do you high blood pressure as well?

Your doctor would have also checked your blood cholesterol level. Did he say it was normal or high?

Unfortunately, there is no cure for diabetes. Once it is established it is a life-long disease. Many times it is hard to maintain the desired sugar level, but if proper diet, medication and changes in life style are made, one does not need to worry.

I'm sure your doctor will let you know what types of food are good for you. But in short, avoid fatty meals. Take fresh fruits and vegetables.

I would also recommend you to get yourself a glucometer. This is an instrument by which u can yourself check your sugar level every day. You can maintain a record of the levels for each day, and this can help your doctor to adjust the drug doses accordingly.

If you dont want to get a glucometer, then urine dipstix can be used. They are strip of paper which u can dip in urine. The color of the paper changes according to the sugar level in the urine..and a color key over the paper box can give an indication of the level of sugar.

Here are a few Diabetes websites. The Canadian site is quite comprehensive and it'll answer all your questions and quieries.

American Diabetes Association

Diabetes In Canada

If you need more info. I'll be glad to help.

Wassalam.

Edited by Aale Mohammad

Salaam alaikum,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I went today and asked for some diabetes counseling. They have certified counselors at the pharmacy where I got the presctripton filled. The lady was very helpful. One of my concerns was that the medication would make my blood sugar level too low. She said that it doesn't do that. So that made me feel better. She also said I should ask my Dr. to refer me to a dietician.

I don't have high blood pressure or high cholestrol. My blood pressure yesterday was 120/80 and I think my cholestrol was about 137. The Dr. said they were both normal. If I take the medication, change my diet and continue exercising, will my BP and cholestrol go up? What I mean is, does diabetes make them go up, even if you get it under control?

I bought a glucometer today too. InshaAllah, I will be using it regularily.

WaSalaam, Hajar

One of my concerns was that the medication would make my blood sugar level too low

This is one of the serious side effects of anti-diabetic medication. But if the dose is appropriate, and you remember to eat something after taking the drug, this should not worry you.

There is a very long list of anti-diabetic drugs available. Doctors prescribe the drug for a patient on individual basis..i.e, the best drug for you may not be the best drug for someone else.

Glad to know that your blood pressure and cholesterol level are ok.

Diabetes and hypertension(high blood pressure) complexly inter-related.

A person can have diabetes alone or hypertension alone.

And a person can have both of them at the same time.

If a person has hypertension alone, it will not increase his risk of developing diabetes later on.

But if a person has diabetes, then in certain individuals..it can lead to high blood pressure.

High blood pressure develops in those who have the genetic tendency for it. If you do not have that tendency, then even if u do not exercise and do not take the proper diety, you will NOT develop high blood pressure. But if one does have the tendency (i.e, he/she has it in the genes), then bad diet and lack of exercise can aggravate high blood pressure.

But since you are diabetic, proper diet and exercise is essential for you. And this is even more important for individuals who are obese. They must try to reduce their weight. Obesity aggravates diabetes.

In short, Diabetes can lead to high blood pressure. But high Blood pressure alone does not cause diabetes.

With proper care, regular check ups, adequate drugs, patients can live a normal life...and can avoid the complications of diabetes.

Hope this has helped.

wassalam.

New Diabetes Test Could Offer 'Real Freedom'

Diabetics can soon say goodbye to painful finger puncture for glucose testing. This video discusses new technology currently in development at Britain’s University of Leeds that can test glucose levels pain-free. By using nano-engineered silica glass, researchers have discovered a much easier way to measure glucose in the body.

Salaam alaikum,

A couple of day ago I found out I have diabetes. My Dr. didn't give me much info on it, when I went in to see her about it yesterday. All she said was take these pills twice a day, eat a healthy diet, and go for another test in two months.

Well humph, I think I need to know more than that. Does anyone know if there are Diabetes clinics in Canada, you know where they educate you on diet and other things related to diabetes?

Also, if any of you in Canada have diabetes or relatives with it, can you tell me what their number (the level thing) was when it was diagnosed. The system is different from the one in the US. My Sister and Brother have diabetes, so from them I know something about the levels. I want to see if mine is as bad as theirs. I don't think so, but since the scale is different, I can't tell. I want to know what is high, or really dangerous. The Dr told me normal is between 6 and 9 and mine is 19. I know that sounds bad, but I don't know how high it can get. She did say I wasn't coma material. So I don't think it's that bad.

When my Sister was diagnosed, with the US scale, her's was over 600. My brother's was over 300.

WaSalaam, Hajar

Be more assertive with your doctor... she is definitely not doing her job and could get into a lot of trouble because patient education is a huge part of treatment. Don't be afraid to fire questions at her. Also, she should have set you up with a dietician regardless, and explained the resources available that exist for your support.

Diabetes, often referred to by doctors as diabetes mellitus, describes a group of metabolic diseases in which the person has high blood glucose (blood sugar), either because insulin production is inadequate, or because the body's cells do not respond properly to insulin, or both. Patients with high blood sugar will typically experience polyuria (frequent urination), they will become increasingly thirsty (polydipsia) and hungry (polyphagia).

theri are 3 types of diabetes like Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes and Gestational diabetes

On 11/16/2015, 1:54:04, JohnWharton said:

theri are 3 types of diabetes like Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes and Gestational diabetes

This is incorrect. Gestational diabetes is only a temporary state and after the woman gives birth, the Gestational diabetes goes away. Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2 are well known. More recently it is thought that Type 3 diabetes is associated with Alzheimer's, perhaps caused by the effects of diabetes on the brain. People need to do what their doctor tells them, especially stop eating foods that are harmful. Diabetes is a very serious medical condition. 

26 minutes ago, hameedeh said:

This is incorrect. Gestational diabetes is only a temporary state and after the woman gives birth, the Gestational diabetes goes away. Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2 are well known. More recently it is thought that Type 3 diabetes is associated with Alzheimer's, perhaps caused by the effects of diabetes on the brain. People need to do what their doctor tells them, especially stop eating foods that are harmful. Diabetes is a very serious medical condition. 

He is actually correct. Gestational diabetes is another type of diabetes. It can go away after 4 months post delivery or it can stay with the mother as type 2 diabetes. 

Pregnant women should ideally do a sugar test at the beginning of pregnancy and at the beginning of the second trimester of the pregnancy. The checking in the beginning of pregnancy is to make sure that the mother dose not have undiagnosed type 2 diabetes. The check up in the second trimester is screening for gestational diabetes which develops around that time of pregnancy. If it was found, it should be followed up to 4 months after giving months. If by then, blood sugar was still high, the mother will be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes instead of gestational diabetes.

General speaking, western diet can be considered on its own as one major risk factor for developing diabetes. By western I mean the commercial fast and processed food. I wish to see the effect of traditional, organic western diet on the diabetes development.

Today, we eat more sugar, more than sanity can handle. Sometimes we are not aware of the amount of sugar in the food because they add loads of salts or other material that makes the sugar tolerable by taste.

Western diet was given to rats in lab as well as humans. After following them for few days, weeks, they developed type 2 diabetes.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/44302/title/The-6-000-Calorie-Diet/

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

Please take care of your Diabetes. Diabetes can affect major organs in your body, including heart, blood vessels, nerves, eyes and kidneys. Controlling your blood sugar levels can help prevent these complications.

These 5 Simple Adjustments Can Help Protect Your Eyes

According to the American Diabetes Association, people with diabetes are 40% more likely to suffer from glaucoma and 60% more likely to develop cataracts. They are extremely likely to develop some form of diabetic retinopathy, or damage to the blood vessels in the retina, but this occurs less frequently for people who keep their blood glucose levels consistently closer to normal.Because high blood sugar can cause swelling in the eye, individuals with diabetes might also struggle with periodic blurred vision.

However, most people with diabetes will only encounter minor eye conditions, and when caught in the early stages they are very frequently treatable. This means that staying on top of your eye health is incredibly important! Here are some things you can do to protect your eyes:

1. GET TO KNOW YOUR EYE DOCTOR
It’s important for everyone to get regular checkups, but given your increased risk for eye problems, your doctor can help spot any changes in your eye health early on. Make sure to consult your doctor if you notice any fluctuations in your vision.

2. UP YOUR COMPUTER GAME
We all spend a great deal of time in front of screens… computers, televisions, phones.  It can be incredibly hard on our eyes. Fortunately there are some things you can do. Consider investing in an anti-glare screen. Computer glasses can take some of the burden off your eyes by helping you focus on what is called the “intermediate zone,” or a distance that is neither far away nor very close. Adjusting your computer screen is another quick and easy way to reduce the daily strain put on your eyes. Take advantage of the zoom feature and lighting options. While you’re at it, this might be a good time to adjust the settings on your phone as well!

3. FLEX YOUR PEEPERS
One helpful exercise for your eyes is one doctors refer to as the “20-20-20 rule.” The goal is to look away from your computer screen every 20 minutes and focus on an object at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This reduces the strain put on your eyes caused by staring at the same thing for prolonged periods. Also, remember to blink frequently to keep your eyes moistened.  This will reduce the chances of developing issues caused by dry eyes.

4. CREATE A HEALTHY WORKSPACE
Make sure your chair is an appropriate distance from your computer, and pay attention to your posture. If you find the lighting in your office is straining your eyes, bring a small desk lamp.  Small adjustments to your comfort level can drastically reduce the daily stress you put on your eyes.

5. GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK
Take a break when you’re doing an activity that requires you to strain your eyes for long stretches. If you can, get outside for a few minutes. The change in lighting will be an added bonus that your eyes will appreciate!

http://blog.thediabetessite.com/diabetes-protect-eyes/