Abu Lulu Killed Umar ...but why?

232 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:29 AM

Abu lulu (Abu Looloo) killed Umar. But why?

This is what a brother told me in the chatroom

"Abu Lulu was a hard working man but 3umar ripped him off and cheated him"

Frankly, It just didn’t enter my mind to find out why Abu Lulu killed Umar. Anyone??? Please help....

#2 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:39 AM

sallam

After the battle of Nihawand, many Persians, men, women, and children were taken as captives by the Muslims. The captives were sold as slaves. One of these slaves was Firoz alias Abu Lulu. He was purchased by Mughirah Shu'bah the Governor of Basra. This Firoz was a craftsman, a carpenter, an iron smith and a painter. Umar did not allow non-Muslim adult captives to reside in Madina. Mughirah sought special permission for the residence of Firoz in Madina on the ground that as he was a skilled craftsman, he would be of service to the people. Umar gave the permission as a special case.

One day, Firoz waited on Umar and complained that the tax which his master Mughirah was exacting from him was too high. He wanted the Caliph to reduce the levy. Umar enquired what work did he do. He said that he worked as a carpenter, painter, and an ironsmith. He added that he could make windmills as well. Umar next enquired as to the amount of the tax that he was required to pay to his master. He said that he had to pay two dirhams a day. Umar said that keeping in view the lucrative nature of the jobs done by him, the levy of two dirhams a day was prima facie not excessive. Umar said that he would, however, write to Mughirah, and examine the question further in the light of what Mughirah said. That did not satisfy Firoz, and he went away sulking.

Umar wrote to Mughirah, and in reply Mughirah quoted facts and figures to establish that what he took from his slave was by no means excessive. When Firoz called on Umar again, Umar explained to him that as the levy was not excessive, no reduction therein was called for that made Firoz angry. In order to humor Firoz, Umar said, "I understand you make windmills; make one for me as well." In a sullen mood, Firoz said, "Verily I will make such a mill for you, that the world would talk about it." As Firoz went away, the Caliph told the people around him that the Persian slave had threatened him.

There were Persian children slaves in Madina. Seeing them, Firoz would say, "You have been enslaved at such a tender age. This Umar sees eaten my heart. I will take his heart out". He made for himself a dagger with a very sharp edge and smeared it with poison.

On the 1st of November 644 A.D. at the time of the morning prayer, Firoz went with his dagger to the Prophet's mosque and hid himself in a corner in one of the recesses of the mosque. When the faithful stood for prayer after straightening the lines, and Umar took up his position as the Imam to lead the prayer, Firoz emerged from his place of hiding and rushed at Umar. Firoz struck Umar six consecutive blows with his dagger, and Umar fell on the floor profusely bleeding.

Other persons rushed at Firoz, but he had the fury and frenzy of a desperate man about him. He struck right and left, and thirteen Muslims were wounded, some of them fatally, before Firoz could be overpowered. At last realizing that he could not escape, Firoz stabbed himself to death with his own dagger.

sallam

#3 Peer

Peer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,942 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:44 AM

I have heard and infact read somewhere a totally different thing, I'd try to find out the reference so that I could paste it in its real language....

ma'salama

[btw thats not good]

#4 hidrali

hidrali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:50 AM

omar had a rule that non-Arabs were not allowed to enter Madina. However, he relaxed the rule for one man only at the request of his friend Mughira bin Sho'iba, the governor of Kufa. The man in question was named Feroz nicknamed "Abu Lulua". He was not an Arab, but he was a good carpenter, blacksmith and engraver.

Abu Lulua was heavily taxed for the privilege of residing in Madina and asked omar to increase his allowance. omar refused and instead commissioned him to build a windmill for grinding grain.

Abu Lulua promised him that he would build him such a windmill that people would always talk about it. The way he said it made omar wonder whether he was being threatened and his fears proved correct.

A few days later Abu Lulua ambushed omar in the early hours of the morning and stabbed him in the stomach three times with a double-bladed dagger. One of these wounds was fatal and omar died three days.

#5 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:52 AM

sallam

thts wat i wrote

#6 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • 23,509 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:59 AM

Wow..!! This is getting interesting. So basically Abu Lulu was unhappy with Umar and he killed him to exact his revenge.

Is this the only version of story?

I think I have heard few pro-Sunni people says that Abu Lulu was a Persian and Shia and he murdered the caliph because the caliph usurped Imam Ali’s right.

And I have heard few Shias praising Abu Lulu Actions.

I think he went too far by murdering Umar Al Khattab?

I don’t know everything about this incident. Still awaiting few more response ..if someone has something more to add.

#7 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 01:02 AM

sallam

oh well...even if he was shia or a supporter of hazrat Ali... Hazrat Ali and other companions didnt think abt doing this ... so he was an ignorant man..

sallam

#8 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • 23,509 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 01:07 AM

..this was posted anonymously by a user

"Abu Lulua was heavily taxed, and thats all i know, and but the dagger in omars heart...and made for us farhat al zahra..when it is zul hijja month, 4 zul hija is the farhat celebrations. You know some say he was a non-muslim...then why did you heavily tax him. "

What is farhat Al Zahra?

#9 Abdulhujjah

Abdulhujjah

íÇ ÇÈÇ ÕÇáÍ ãÏÏí

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts
  • Interests:Staying real, I hate fake people

Posted 07 January 2003 - 01:11 AM

In the name of Allah the Beneficent the Merciful

All praise is due to Allah Lord of the worlds

May Allah shower his blessings upon Muhammad and his Progeny and curse their enemies from the first to the last.

Salam@lai.com

He has a maqaam in Iran I heard, but I'm not sure....

"Nawzi shasteed...Nawzi shasteed abu lo lo...." Iranian chant

Wassalaam

#10 Peer

Peer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,942 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:11 AM

LOL yeah, people even built a tomb over his grave ^_^

ma'salama

#11 zainabia

zainabia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:37 AM

Bismillah

Salam Alaikum

Umar also introduced a new law of state (bidah) i.e. "No arab can be taken as slave but remaining world can be made slave"
(Al-Farooq by Shibli Naumani with reference to Imam Shafii in Kazul Iman).

Furthermore, shibli Naumani quotes the opinion of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal
i.e.

I don't agree with opinion of Umar that (only) Arabs are free to be made slave
(Ref: Almuntaqa al-Akhbar by Ibne Taymiyyah).

=========================

Was Salam.

#12 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:04 AM

Salam o Alekum,

I was under the impression that no non-Muslims are allowed in Mecca and Madina. So how did Umar allow Abu Lulu to enter or live in Madina? Was it another Biddah?

Also Br. salmany where did you get the story from, any ref.

Thanks

#13 zainabia

zainabia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:39 AM

Bismillah

Salam Alaikum

Abu Lolu Ferooz is not the only exception who got permission to enter Madina and Mecca.

Shibli Naumani further tried to prove in "Al-Farooq", page 378 (published by Maktaba Rahmania Lahore) that it is a sharai mistake to forbid non muslims to enter Mecca and Madiana.

And as his proof, he quoted the incidents of Umar.

For example, he quoted Allama Balazri in "Ashraful Ansab" that:

Umar asked him governer to send a Roman Christians to him in Madina in order to help him in keeping the records (or that area).

Then Shibli Naumani refered to "Kitabul Kharaj" of Imam Abu Yousuf who cited a lot of incidents that in times of Umar, non muslims used to go to Mecca and Madina without any problem and used to stay there as long as they liked.. (kitabul Khiraj page 78 and 79).

============================

Was Salam.

#14 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:13 PM

sallam

Its disgraceful he has any sort of maqaam...honestly speaking...

#15 Guest_Shujaat_*

Guest_Shujaat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2003 - 02:55 PM

Assalamu Aleikum,

[Message from Moderator: No offensive comments please]

Khuda Hafiz

Edited by Orion, 07 January 2003 - 06:16 PM.

#16 Abdulhujjah

Abdulhujjah

íÇ ÇÈÇ ÕÇáÍ ãÏÏí

• Advanced Members
  • 8,436 posts
  • Interests:Staying real, I hate fake people

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:35 PM

In the name of Allah the Beneficent the Merciful

All praise is due to Allah Lord of the worlds

May Allah shower his blessings upon Muhammad and his Progeny and curse their enemies from the first to the last.

Salam@lai.com

Abu Lulu :angel: ended the reign of the second caliph....

But he began a bad sunnah....

Wassalaam

#17 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:40 PM

shujaat... mind what u say bro...

sallam

Edited by salmany, 07 January 2003 - 04:41 PM.

#18 shia4life

shia4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:56 PM

Salam alaikum

Salmany brother, i have 2 question's for you:

Abu lulu was responsible for the murder of umar, what will happen to abu lulu?

Umar, on the other hand, was responsible for the murder of Lady Fatimah Al-Zahra A.S, so what will happen to him?

Brother even after you know what Umar did, yet you still love him, why?

Just remember one thing Fatimah Al-Zahra A.S was the prophet's daughter, the prophet will not be happy with what Umar did! U know this, but still you hail him.

By admitting what Umar did, you will not become a shia, like ive said in another post its more than that.

Salams

Ya Ali Madad!

#19 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:59 PM

sallam

i doubt umar stabbed hazrat fatima... abu lulu accordign to me is a kaffir:

yo lissen man if you people want to consider abu lulu a hero and one of hazrat Alis shias...feel free to..if you want to give him a maqam feel free to..atleast we have the satisfaction umar died while in the mosque ready to pray...

sallam

#20 salmany

salmany

• Banned
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:00 PM

btw i wont post on this particular topic... maybe ill unintentionally say something very bad..

sallam

#21 haideriam

haideriam

Ya Qaim Ali Muhammad(AS) Adrikni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Muhhib

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:28 PM

asa

sorry brother salmany and restraint from the other brothers
it is not good to offend your muslim brother
he is not against references from reliable books, but no opinions please
be happy you have an honest brother amongst yourselves who is not trying to please you, me or himself
but Allah(swt) by researching, and may Allah(swt) guide him to the truth whatever it may be

ws

#22 shia4life

shia4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:34 PM

Dear Salmany brother, i am sorry that i have upset you. What Abu lulu did was wrong, i agree with that. I just raised a similar point.

Neway bro, i hope you accept my apology.

Salams

Ya Ali Madad

#23 shia girl

shia girl

Lover of Ahul Byait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Well my interests are islamic arts, drawing, reading and writing poems and learning more about prophat (sawa) and his family...

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:18 PM

Umar, on the other hand, was responsible for the murder of Lady Fatimah Al-Zahra A.S, so what will happen to him?

Brother even after you know what Umar did, yet you still love him, why?

Just remember one thing Fatimah Al-Zahra A.S was the prophet's daughter, the prophet will not be happy with what Umar did! U know this, but still you hail him.

By admitting what Umar did, you will not become a shia, like ive said in another post its more than that.

Salamon 3alikom

I think what you said sis shia4life is just right.....
I mean why our sunni brothers and sisters LOVE the enemies of Ahulbayat?.......an question need an answer!!!

#24 shia4life

shia4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

Salam alaikum sister

By the way i am a brother, just thought i'd clarify that.

Your right an answer would help...

Salams

Ya Ali Madad!

#25 shia girl

shia girl

Lover of Ahul Byait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Well my interests are islamic arts, drawing, reading and writing poems and learning more about prophat (sawa) and his family...

Posted 08 January 2003 - 07:10 AM

:) salamon 3alikom

Sorry brother shia 4 life for calling you a sister

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users