31 replies to this topic

#1 Azadar-e-Ali

Azadar-e-Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:26 PM

(salam) ,

What is the importance of 22nd Rajab in Islam? The shias of pakistan and India celebrate it with great excitement and joy. They believe it is a very holy day and their sins will be forgiven if they invite their relatives for dinner. The dinner or lunch has to have special food items (small pieces of baked cakes) and rice puddings. If these two items are not there, people do not consider the food as holy. People spend all day in visiting others and eating at their place, or if they are the host, they spend most of the time looking after the guests. Many dont even care about their prayers because they are too busy serving the guests.

I think this is biddah in shias. There is nothing wrong in inviting other shia momins to your place for dinner, but since this day has no religious importance (as far as I know) I consider it as completely wrong and an innovation in religion. I read different books trying to find the holiness of this day, but found no reference. What is funny is that when I asked some of my friends about the importance of this day, they had no idea about it, except that it is utmost important for the shias to celebrate this day?

What is this? Where did this come from? Even if this day is holy, should not the hosts invite poor shia muslims for the meal (people who do not even get enough to eat) rather than inviting those who belong to the top most level of the society? Decide for yourself, which would make Allah happy?

#2 soul_in_training

soul_in_training

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:Studying, reading...

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:30 PM

erm, are you talking about a sufro? :blink: thats what we usually have in mosques in rajab, but not necesarily on the 22nd, and we dont skip our prayers either :huh:
kheer and puri are one of my fav khoja desserts though ^_^

#3 Azadar-e-Ali

Azadar-e-Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:35 PM

No, I'm talking about what is called "Koonday" in Pakistan. Koonday is a dish made of clay in which rice pudding is served. Since this pudding is the special feature, hence they named the ritual after it. I boycott going to these so called holy ceremonies because it is meaningless. The people who celebrate it dont know why they are celebrating it. There are no special supplications, duas or worship recommended for this day, as far as I know. From where did this originate then? What is its background? If the arabs and the iranis dont even know about it, then howcome the Pakistani/Indians take it to be one of the holiest days of the year?

#4 SyedaZahra

SyedaZahra
  • Advanced Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

Salam Alaikum...

Koonday, which is Imam Jaffer Sadiq AS niaz,.is

22 nd rajab when Muawiyah died.. so thats how the shias in India/pak celebrate it and becuase during those times they did not have any other way so they called it Koonday niaz in the name of Imam Jaffer Sadiq AS....

I dont have any refernces but if anybody else does then pls do shed some light..

:)

MaSalama

#5 Azadar-e-Ali

Azadar-e-Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:52 PM

Walykum salam,

Thankyou for this information sister. This is the first time I have heard that this day is linked to Muawiya's death. I am sure that most Pakistanis shias are unaware of this. But my point still holds : Even if this day is religious, why turn it into a tradition in which the laws of Islam are breached, the prayers are ignored, the food is served to those who least require it and the poor are forgotten, ridiculous beliefs such as "you cannot take the food outside the home" are deep rooted, the list goes on....

This is biddah and ignorance. My own friends and acquaintances miss or delay their prayers because they cant spare time from serving the guests. What benefit can you get from this day if you are doing the worst thing: ignoring namaz!

#6 Guest_Thamina_*

Guest_Thamina_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

(salam)

It's just niaz of Imam Jafir-e-Sadiq (a.s.), how is it bidah? If people are missing their prayers while in the preparation of Kunday then that's their problem but you can still hold the function/celebration without missing prayers if you organize it properly.

For instance, in Canada we Pakistanis have Kunday every year but it is organized in such a way that it is convenient for everyone and no obligations are being missed. I guess the problem must be in Pakistan where Kunday are held on a grander scale. And as for the poor being forgotten, everyone is meant to be invited to Kunday, Shia, Sunni, rich, poor, everyone. The day is for everyone to come to the Imambargha where Kunday should be held and pray for whatever hajat or manat they wish and also bring some type of offering the next year if their hajat is accepted.

Edited by Thamina, 09 September 2004 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Gabriel

Gabriel
  • Advanced Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:56 PM

(salam)

Salmeterol, Whilst most of us here in the M.E invite everyone we know, we also have the programme timings and place announced at the mosque so that EVERYONE, rich and poor, can attend...

besides, how many of us think about the poor when we go out for a meal to a restaurant? or how about when we buy an expensive gadget that we might not really need, but want...... don't the poor need food or clothing or assistance of other forms at that time? why is it that when shia's keep niyaz everyone talks about the poor? it's not like we've exempted those less fortunate from us from attending.. rather, it's the one occassion where I personally have seen the rich and poor, sitting on the floor next to each other, eating food of the same quality!!

gabriel..

#8 Mambang Tanah

Mambang Tanah

Oh Lord,my sins are highest of mountains.My deeds are few

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:12 PM

(salam)

ic.. thank you all alot for having this thread.. actually i was born on e 22nd Rejab.. n i'm really happy dat I was born on diz date when Muawiyah(la'nat) died... :D

#9 Azadar-e-Ali

Azadar-e-Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:39 PM

Walykum salam,

Thankyou for your replies. I am not against religious celebrations but I feel upset when people distort islamic occassions and turn them into nothing more than annual traditional rituals.

First, how is this day related to Imam Jaffar(as)? Is 22 Rajab his birthday or day of shadah? Do arabs and iranis celebrate this day? Do they even know about it?

Second, while everyone should give charity to the poor and needy whenever possible, it should be even more important not to leave behind these deserving people on special religious days. I am glad that in canada and M.E, you invite all who can come. But this is not like it is here. In Pakistan, the higher class shia families invite only their own relatives and friends, but the poor and deserving people are swiftly ignored. What purpose is served by just going to someone's place and eating the standardized niaz food (where the menu is fixed and cannot be altered)? What is the significance of this in Islam? It is considered a big sin and disrespect to the sacred food if you carry it outside the house? What is the meaning of this?

People give so much importance to these traditional rituals which they consider very important part of their belief, yet little do they bother about their religious duties, the wajibats. This is what I consider totally wrong. And there are many people like this. Most of whom I know are of that sort - therefore, I boycott going to these niaz. Besides, when you go there, your prayer inevitably gets delayed, and there are non-mehrums around who least care about their hijab. This is another negative point. Overall, the picture of the niaz is more like a party with mixed gathering than a religious affair.

I understand and firmly believe that it is good to meet shia brothern, to invite them to dinner, to spend time with them - but when you mix up religion with social life and traditions, that is where the problem starts.

I would be happy if any arabs or iranis can tell us their views on this. Is this day actually holy, do we have any hadith about it? Or is it just something that the desi shias have made up themseleves - most of whom dont even know that it is Imam Jaffar(as)'z niaz!

#10 Guest_faithful8876__*

Guest_faithful8876__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:44 PM

(bismillah)

First, how is this day related to Imam Jaffar(as)? Is 22 Rajab his birthday or day of shadah? Do arabs and iranis celebrate this day? Do they even know about it?

I'm an arab and i don't know of the Holiday you're talking about.
Also, you mentioned that a specific dish must be put on or its not holy, that seems a bit over the edge and unislamic to me. Whats the importance of this dish? Its great that people get together, help the poor and unite but some aspects of this holiday are questionable.

Wa Allahu A3lam

#11 KS786

KS786

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:23 PM

(salam)

well let me clarify....

22nd rajab niyaz/sufra/Koonda is set and ppl make kheer (rice pudding) and puri (sweet biscuit sorta) and keep all sorts of sweets and food. Its not only on the 22nd, but all during rajab on different dates.

The reason 22nd is so greatly considered is because if you know about this niyaz, people recite the miracle of Imam Jafar Sadiq AS and do nazar of Imam Jafar Sadiq on the niyaz. In the miracle/mojiza, it is mentioned that Imam jafar AS told someone to do niyaz, specifically sweet puris and something sweet, on the 22nd and inshAllah his hajaat will be fulfilled and he will be removed of his miseries. (i dont recall who exactly he said it to, maybe someoen can help)

so with that significance, ppl recite the miracle, do nazr/niyaz and sufra on the 22nd to remove the afflictions bestowed on them and inshAllah have hajaat fulfilled. sufra however is kept all during rajab, not only on the 22nd.

Lets see if someone has that miracle written out and maybe can post. inshAllah :D

hope it helps..
wsalaam
K.S :angel:

#12 Azadar-e-Ali

Azadar-e-Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:37 PM

Thankyou for explaining. This adds to my knowledge. But the questions remains : why only pakistanis and indians? If this is indeed linked to Imam Jaffar(as), then why dont the Arabs and Iranis recognize it? Like sister faithful8876 has said, she has never even heard about it.

Also, in the past when I attended the koondas, there were no duas, no hadith-e-kitha, no Quran recitation, no talk about imams(as). It is just like any other party, where people gather to enjoy food and meet their relatives and friends. It does not present a religious picture at all.

This is why I am against it. Had it been conducted in the proper way, I would have no reason to be concerned...

#13 sara85

sara85

pretty soul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:51 AM

salam brother

u r as mixed up bot thign as i m
but to let u know thses rituals have the recitation but it is like they do it b4 the people start coming in to eat
as u must have noticed that it is not a timed dinner or watever the food is there and people keep on coming and eating and then the next 1 comes in ^_^

and the point where u r talking bot men and women included then that is also that thses kundaays r segregated adn no men in the women area and no women in the men area and majority of the times there are no men invited only women....
B)

and the arabs and iranis do celebrate it i dunt knwo wat the call it but if any arab fomr UAE is here he will know
coz when i was a kid i remember that on shabarat, the day,we used to come home form skool all xcited take shopping bags and then go fomr house to house to collect sweets,chips,juice anything eatable fomr the houses......and they used to call it "hagaley".....it was like those hollaween when u go house to house to collect things :rolleyes:

now if some1 cna take this forward :angel:

#14 Vengeance110

Vengeance110

Wajahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Everything except haram..

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:02 AM

Salam,
On 22 Rajab i was born.It was the death date of Maviya so thats the reason my dad named me Ali(Second Last Name).

Attached Images

• ven.JPG

#15 Gabriel

Gabriel
  • Advanced Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 04:12 PM

they used to call it "hagaley".....it was like those hollaween

(salam)

Hagg al Layl is not the Arab equivalant to kunday, but it's celebrated on Shabe Bar`at.. ie. 15th Shaaban.

#16 Gabriel

Gabriel
  • Advanced Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 04:14 PM

Thankyou for explaining. This adds to my knowledge. But the questions remains : why only pakistanis and indians? If this is indeed linked to Imam Jaffar(as), then why dont the Arabs and Iranis recognize it? Like sister faithful8876 has said, she has never even heard about it.

Also, in the past when I attended the koondas, there were no duas, no hadith-e-kitha, no Quran recitation, no talk about imams(as). It is just like any other party, where people gather to enjoy food and meet their relatives and friends. It does not present a religious picture at all.

This is why I am against it. Had it been conducted in the proper way, I would have no reason to be concerned...

(salam)

There are some things that are common in one culture and not another. But that doesn't make them wrong. Take for example, many arabs I know have a nazar of Umm Al Baneen a.s. and they serve a perticular type of rice dish (biryani style)..

#17 sana_abbas

sana_abbas

Waqar -e-Deenay Khuda Hai Hussain(a.s) Ka Matam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIKE ALI(as) AND DIE LIKE HUSSAIN(as)

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

Salam,
On 22 Rajab i was born.It was the death date of Maviya so thats the reason my dad named me Ali(Second Last Name).

masha`Allah

#18 sara85

sara85

pretty soul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:04 AM

ooopppssssssssss :o
sorry i got the dates all mixed up......... :(
but i always oved those things we used to get fomr peoples homes......it was better then eid coz we got material things not money that we dint know the value off :angel:

#19 Gabriel

Gabriel
  • Advanced Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

but i always oved those things we used to get fomr peoples homes......it was better then eid coz we got material things not money that we dint know the value off :angel:

Although I don't go around anymore, I still love watching the kids collect their 'goodies' ! :)

#20 ailia

ailia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:42 PM

SALAM

ya ali
Actually 22Rajab is MUAVIA...lantollah,s death day.
i heard from ulama that in those days due to TAQIA shia of those days used to gether in one,s home and pretend as a NAZER of IMAM SADIQ(AS)...so even now it goes like those days

AILIA

#21 Changed

Changed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:12 AM

Even in my house the tradition is kept, since i was child, whole night women used to prepare Kheer and Puri and on the next day just gulp up that.

Its Niyaz of Imam Jafar Sadiq, but i dont know why only kheer puri why not something else.

#22 Friend of All

Friend of All

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:everything from books to french fries.. from surfing to watching toons!!<br />

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:52 AM

Perfect..Thats what I have heard..

It is written in that miracle that Imam Jafar Alaihe Salam told a woman to prepare pooris of flour and give nazar on it and then she'll be relieved of her problems..

WaSalam..

#23 kom11191

kom11191
  • Basic Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

i was wondering about the significance of 22nd rajab too and came across this discussion.. ive hrd about mauviyahs death so yes it is a reason for us do a little celebration, ive also hrd about imam jafar-e- sadiqs (A.S)niaz and as far as i know rajab ki niaz is not wajib... the rice pudding ,the pooris and the baked cakes r part of the menu because of the culture of south asia... the rice pudding is kheer.. we have kheer and pooris on weddings too, on eid and many other happy occasions
we have a tradition of cooking halwa on 15th of shabaan.. these r harmless traditions... nothing unislamic..
but missing of wajbat when serving guests is poor organization.. who ever does that needs a better plan..
we always do the niaz my mother cooks, my father reads hadees-e- kisa and a muajiza of imam ., and then the food is served to the guests, the doors r open and ne one can come, the guests eat and leave. its a way of doing a gathering in an islamic way. r servants invite their frnds.
nothings wrong with the celebration of 22 rajab, its the way people celebrate it.

#24 Shia Butterfly

Shia Butterfly

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I love The 5tan Pak and The Ahle Beyt first of all. Then I love art. Love design. Love to paint, sketch, create dresses. Love butterflies, fairies, fairytales, and cherry blossoms. I am a delicate Moroccan Rose.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

Both the Sunni and Shia half of my family give Niyaz. where I come from, Kunday is a very large practise. Their tradition is: a niyaz is kept for a mannat (like someone mentioned. Mojezas occur with niyaz) and it has to be taken out every year for the rest fo your life once the mannat is completed and every year one has to increase the amount of niyaz. Like, it's almost like a mini-Eid here.

#25 dingdong

dingdong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

(bismillah)

You might find this helpful:
http://www.shiachat....=...t&p=1922534

The pages attached are the opinion of one of the most learned scholars alive today.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users