84 replies to this topic

#51 Black Maffia

Black Maffia

1 ov Imam Mahdi Soulja InshaAllah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:22 AM

innit fonz bcuz my sis told me her frend can do it even tho she is my frend and i fort hairdresser shop can also do the cornrows.

Edited by S-UNIT, 05 July 2004 - 07:23 AM.

#52 Ojum

Ojum

In pursuit of perfection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

I received the answer on this subject from Sayyid Khamieni (HA) today. Seems we have no obligation one way or another on how to keep our hairstyle bro. I hope this.

Question

As Salam Alaykom

I would like to ask the Sayyid (HA) the ruling on two types of hair styles.

1. Is dredlocks. This is a process of twisting the hair into cylndrical shapes and keeping the hair this way until the hair mats together. This hair style does not stop water from reaching the scalp at all.

2. Is the hairstyle called cornrow. This is a process of braiding the hair tightly along the scalp usually front to back. This also does not stop water from reaching the scalp.

Is there any ruling or any reason a Muslim couldn't have this hairstyle?

Thank you

As Salam A'laykom

Answer

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.
The answer is as follows:

Bismihi Ta`ala
In itself, there is no objection to the hair styles.

With prayers for your success,
wassalam.

#53 Bro.Djibril

Bro.Djibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Interests:Islam Original, world religions, world history, physics, and general reading.

Posted 10 July 2004 - 02:52 PM

Wa Salaam,

My $.02. It gets pretty sad when you have to consult a scholar on an ethnic hairstyle. Dreadlocks, cornrows have been around for thousands of years. As long as water can reach your head, then there should not be a problem. Good looking out on the fatawa, Majnoon, in case I am ever asked. Now, I can say on the authority of ....fill in the blank..... black people can continue to wear something they've been doing for ever.

By the way, is it permissible for a Muslim to have two long strands of hair on both sides of the face or two long braids? Interested in hearing the responses.

Wa Salaam,
Djibril

#54 Ojum

Ojum

In pursuit of perfection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

Wa Salaam,

My $.02. It gets pretty sad when you have to consult a scholar on an ethnic hairstyle. Dreadlocks, cornrows have been around for thousands of years. As long as water can reach your head, then there should not be a problem. Good looking out on the fatawa, Majnoon, in case I am ever asked. Now, I can say on the authority of ....fill in the blank..... black people can continue to wear something they've been doing for ever.

By the way, is it permissible for a Muslim to have two long strands of hair on both sides of the face or two long braids? Interested in hearing the responses.

Wa Salaam,
Djibril

bro

Yeah its pretty pathetic. Bro did you know dredlocks were started in Fallen Bay in Senegal by the Sufi Shaykh Ahmado Bamba and his adherents?

Anyway bro I think your question can be applied to the rulling above. We have no obligations concerning hairstyle. As long as it does not stop us from fulfilling our religious obligations.

#55 teenager

teenager

Ismi Muqawematon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:15 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

right, "in itself, there are no objections to hair styles". that is perfectly true. but what about hair styles that are meant to look as women. the hair style in itself is not haraam, but the intention to look like a women is. if a man, purposely tries to look like a women, it doesn't matter if he shaves his head, or grows long hair, because in itself, there is no objection, but the intention is not right.

also, i am no marja and i have none near the knowledge. but in america, in my personal non-professional opinion, it would be degrading for a muslim to fashion their hair like such. if a non-muslim found that he was a muslim, the important close representative of islam, has just brought upon something negative in the reputation of islam. that is only my opinion, and if you wish, completely disregard that i said that. ^_^

ws

#56 Ojum

Ojum

In pursuit of perfection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:48 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

right, "in itself, there are no objections to hair styles". that is perfectly true. but what about hair styles that are meant to look as women. the hair style in itself is not haraam, but the intention to look like a women is. if a man, purposely tries to look like a women, it doesn't matter if he shaves his head, or grows long hair, because in itself, there is no objection, but the intention is not right.

also, i am no marja and i have none near the knowledge. but in america, in my personal non-professional opinion, it would be degrading for a muslim to fashion their hair like such. if a non-muslim found that he was a muslim, the important close representative of islam, has just brought upon something negative in the reputation of islam. that is only my opinion, and if you wish, completely disregard that i said that. ^_^

ws

also, i am no marja and i have none near the knowledge.

this qoute says it all.

#57 teenager

teenager

Ismi Muqawematon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

also, i am no marja and i have none near the knowledge.

this qoute says it all.

well somebody has issues with people representing thier opinions, and not only that, but insulting them, competely needlessly, for it as well.

tut, tut, Allah Is Watching...

ws

#58 Ojum

Ojum

In pursuit of perfection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

Your opinion means nothing at this point. We have the Islamic stance on the issue from the office of a marji3. Now if you don't like it for yourself personally that is one thing but to try and justify not liking it by giving somehadith or whatever and saying that is why Islamiclly its not right then it is absurd. Yes Allah is watching and we on this board should realize we are not scholars. Stop perverting Allah swt religion with our silly ideas weird cultures and opinions.

#59 Bro.Djibril

Bro.Djibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Interests:Islam Original, world religions, world history, physics, and general reading.

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:42 PM

Wa Salaam,

I asked the question about the two strands of hair because it was the hairstyle of Imam Ali Reza (A.S.). Two muhadditheen, Abu Zar'ah ar-Razi and Muhammad ibn Aslam at-Tusi met him and described as such. The hadith that was narrated was reported by more than 20,000 scribes and is accepted by Sunni and Shi'i.

Islam gives leeway. The idea is to be modest. In some areas, to wear dreadlocks, is a sign of modesty. It means one has given up the world and opposes the norms set up by the "West". In some areas, it is a sign of one's virtuousness. It is cultural and so are cornrows and fades and these long side burns that kids get now or the moosed look I see some Desis doing or the real tight thin beards that look like a line. To me, one's hairstyle is indictative of their development or where they are at in life, in terms of mindset. The Prophet (S.A.W.) said it was good to have a part in one's hair. How many people are doing that? The Prophet (S.A.W.) said the beard was not to be too long but I don't really see that being enforced overseas. The idea is modesty, tastefulness, and looking good. Muslims are supposed to look good. That's a dawah tool. If Muslims look like they're fasting all the time or look worn and haggard then why would people, in general, want to come this way. People are looking for the better in life not the worst. The Aimmah (A.S.) encouraged this. We should stop trying to impose ourselves on others. "There is no compulsion in religion....."

Wa Salaam,
Djibril

Edited by Bro.Djibril, 11 July 2004 - 08:45 AM.

#60 teenager

teenager

Ismi Muqawematon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:36 AM

Your opinion means nothing at this point. We have the Islamic stance on the issue from the office of a marji3. Now if you don't like it for yourself personally that is one thing but to try and justify not liking it by giving somehadith or whatever and saying that is why Islamiclly its not right then it is absurd. Yes Allah is watching and we on this board should realize we are not scholars. Stop perverting Allah swt religion with our silly ideas weird cultures and opinions.

(bismillah)

(salam)

:!!!: this is a discussion forum, believe it or not. at this point, i have given the opinion of ayatollah lankarani on appearance of a muslim man in public:

"...corruptive and it is not considered disgrace and degradation for a Muslim..."

and Sayyid Sistani:

"...; it is not desirable for men to put on whatever bring about humiliation and insult..."

and you have brought Ayatollah Khamenei's response to your specific question:

In itself, there is no objection to the hair styles.

In Itself the is no objection to the hair styles. my opinion matters because Ayatollah Khamenei has not said that these hair styles are alright for a muslim, but he said they are ok in itself. this means that the actual physical hair style is not detestable in islam, in itself he did not say that there is not objection whatsoever to these hair styles, he said that there is not objection in itself. now think about this for a moment. if a man, put on "cornrows" trying to look like a women, then it is not the cornrows that are haraam, it is the fact that he is trying to look like a women. if a muslim, puts on cornrows intentionally, knowing the reaction of society, and he brings down the image of islam, then that is objectionable. if it is corrupted, brings humiliation, insult, disgrace, and degredation, then it is haraam. but it is perfectly possible that the hair style brings none of those responses, depending on where you live. if you live in the middle of the Gobi Desert, for instance, then it would probably not matter if you have this hair style or not.

this is where my opinion part comes in. i said that i know that in my community, if a muslim, a living representative of islam, fasions his hair into cornrows, then it would bring about humiliation and insult. this is my opinion

Now if you don't like it for yourself personally that is one thing but to try and justify not liking it by giving somehadith or whatever and saying that is why Islamiclly its not right then it is absurd. Yes Allah is watching and we on this board should realize we are not scholars. Stop perverting Allah swt religion with our silly ideas weird cultures and opinions

brother, you need 10 deep breathes, and also look back at what i wrote. absolutely nothing has contradicted anything that any of the scholars have said in fact, i just demostrated how all these three rulings are applied to the society that i live in. you may live in the Sahara Desert, where a representative of islam can do something like this and it will not degrade him. but in america, they are ignorant of the society in other countries, because they have hardly any exposure. the only exposure that they do get, however, is by the foreigners that live in thier country. any muslim that lives in america is a living representative of islam, whereas non-muslims look at that person and make thier own judgements about islam from that person. if the representative of islam degrades himself, he is also degrading islam, and that is a fact.

and next time you accuse someone of "perverting" our religion, then perhaps you might actually want to have some sort of evidence, OMG. :o

ws

#61 Ojum

Ojum

In pursuit of perfection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:05 AM

*chuckle*

#62 teenager

teenager

Ismi Muqawematon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

*chuckle*

:!!!: :!!!:

is that all?

btw, sorry to the other posters of this thread for hijacking this thread. :( i felt it to be absolutely necessary to defend myself publically, and at least attempt to correct those in whose opinions were mistaken, without the intention to actually hurt. hopefully i would be forgiven by those actually wishing to learn and refuted by those who choose acrimony instead of true understanding.

ws

#63 Ojum

Ojum

In pursuit of perfection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:02 PM

what else is there to say? Your not a marji3 and you don't know what your talking about. Obviously your didn't grow up in America or among afro americans as I have. I grew up in america and to say cornrow is a womans haircut is stupid. To say it is degrading is also stupid. It's something afro americans do and now it has crossed ethnic boundaries and non afro americans do it as well. To say it is degrading shows your ignorance and lack of respect for other cultures. As a person who has worked in the education field I have seen male teachers with the hairstyle as well and they were some of the most professional people I have worked with.

Samething with other hairstyles like dredlocs which were started by west africans specifially those following Ahmado Bamba of Senegal who was a great shaykh in the region. I have also seen derwash groups from the Sudan with them as well. I saw this with my own eyes.

Eitherway I don't wish to argue. A marji3 has given his ruling on it and if you wish to pervert his words that is your problem. Brother S Unit I hope and pray the info I provided from the marji3 helped you and if you want further info please feel free to contact ayatollah Khameini *ha* yourself or if you need help pm me and I will forward a more specific question if you like. I will be leaving this conversation however don't misunderstand me I am still chuckling. I find the whole thing amusing lol.

Edited by Al Majnoon, 11 July 2004 - 06:05 PM.

#64 teenager

teenager

Ismi Muqawematon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:48 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

i am getting tired of repeating myself. read my previous posts. *sigh* if you do not understand then ask for clarification of my posts rather than just say what i replied to again.

also, remember that i said that

i said that i know that in my community, if a muslim, a living representative of islam, fasions his hair into cornrows, then it would bring about humiliation and insult. this is my opinion

Obviously your didn't grow up in America or among afro americans as I have.

aha! now we are finally getting somewhere. i spoke in general of my community. and you said that my opinion does not matter, but it does. because in my community anybody with such hair styles will be looked down upon. Al Majnoon, do you live in my community? do you know 100% that in my community it is not degrading? i suggest that you understand what the person is talking about before you say that thier opinion is not valid. in an african america community, it would not be degrading because it does not go against the sociatal "norm" so to say. in my community, it does, and that is why this haircut is objectionable in my community.

also, because something is acceptable somewhere, does not mean that it is acceptable everywhere. in africa, where "dredlocks" were originated, it was obvioulsy not degrading. but if you go into a society like iran, you have very good chances to be met with insults.

A marji3 has given his ruling on it and if you wish to pervert his words that is your problem. Brother S Unit I hope and pray the info I provided from the marji3 helped you and if you want further info please feel free to contact ayatollah Khameini *ha* yourself or if you need help pm me and I will forward a more specific question if you like. I will be leaving this conversation however don't misunderstand me I am still chuckling. I find the whole thing amusing lol.

also, i would like to make clear that i did not "pervert" ayatollah Khamenei's words. if you would be so kind as to show me how i did, it would be very much appreciated.

furthermore, i don't think that we have different opinions, as our opinions are the same. what is degrading in one society my not be degrading in another. that is why Ayatollah Khamenei wrote that the haircut in itself has no objection, because the physical nature of it is not against islam. however, what is against islam (according to Sayyid Seestani and Ayatollah Lankarani) is to purposely make a bad representation of islam in a non-muslim society. if this haircut degrades islam in the society that you live in, then it is objectionable, if it does not, then the haircut is not objectionable. this is with anything of appearance, not just a haircut, so the haircut in itself is not a problem, it is the coordination of society and apperance of islam that may be a problem.

i am laughing here too. at such a misunderstanding that is really not a problem at all. :D

ws

#65 Vengeance110

Vengeance110

Wajahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Everything except haram..

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:43 PM

Salam,
Somday i wanna get braid and also currently i am growing my chin hair like a mulla so in near future i can get them braided tooo.... :P .. I will be looking like a gangster inshallah...hahahahaha..

#66 Black Maffia

Black Maffia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

GANGSTA NOW IZ IT LOL INSHALLA U WILL B GANGSTA ULL B KICKIN PPLZ A** N SHOOTING DEM N ALL DAT INNIT LOL

#67 tahasyed

tahasyed

slave of Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Interests:Eating, sleeping, thinking, reading, religion, surfing the net, calligraphy, drawing, painting.. <br /><br /><br />..did I mention sleeping?

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

I got it done once, when I had long hair..
it hurts.. :cry:

#68 Wa Husaynaah

Wa Husaynaah
  • Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:23 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

The only hairstyle i like is the takla one

#69 Vengeance110

Vengeance110

Wajahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:20 PM

Naa.. I will die my hair white and golden and then braid them guys... It will be so damn cool..

Ok bye..
Will post my pic when i get it done..

Attached Images

• ven.JPG

#70 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,562 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

The only hairstyle i like is the takla one

If you think about it....thats pretty true @)

#71 Black Maffia

Black Maffia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:28 PM

wats takla :unsure:

#72 Vengeance110

Vengeance110

Wajahat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:50 PM

wats takla :unsure:

Salam,
Takla in urdu means skin head......

Attached Images

• ven.JPG

#73 syed_shia

syed_shia

Muslim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:23 PM

well having spikes or messy look which involves putting gell on ur hair is not allowed when your praying...

so when i pray i tend to wash me hair before praying,, and when im out i just wear a cap... easy as that...

#74 Mikal

Mikal

Ruh al-Qudus

• Advanced Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:06 AM

Salaam

I usually have hairdoes like Ludacris, but not for the whole of this summer since I've got this dandruff problem and need to wash my hair every other day. I just keep it in a bun nowadays.

#75 Spriglief

Spriglief

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, politics, cane pole fishing, hunting, reading, bike riding

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

The purpose of hair is to shield the brain from the summer’s heat and give insulation in the winter’s cold. The US Army has lost soldiers in the desert who have had their brains cooked by direct sunlight. They have also lost soldier in artic conditions from heat loss from a bare head. That is why it is against regulation to shave the head and why head gear is a part of every uniform. The military has always favored short hair because in unsanitary conditions vermin can establish a home in the hair. I have always favored short hair because it is more masculine.

Women like long hair and I have heard that is how female’s pheromones are dispersed. So for women, it is almost essential to have long hair. Male pheromones mostly come from under the arm pits, and it may be why women’s noses mostly seem to come to that height in relation to their men. So if I was a woman I would never use hair spay, and since I am a man, I don’t use under arm deodorant, instead, I wash as needed.

Edited by Spriglief, 10 August 2004 - 12:38 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users