Labayk Ya Husayn!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,683 posts
  • Religion:Shi'ah Islam
  • Interests:Islam, history, politics, news, cultures & people

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:05 PM

To Wait Impatiently

The almighty Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì had informed His Prophets about the coming of the final Prophet. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì had told them the characteristics pertaining to this final messenger, such as: his birth place, where he would be living, signs of the start of his prophetic mission-Bi’that, his journey from Medina to Mecca-Hijrah, his physical characteristics, his behaviors, the superiority of his message, and much more. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì had ordered the prophets to announce all these attributes to their communities and have them promise their allegiance toward this final messenger.

These foreshadows of the final messenger were in the Holy Testaments and had not been altered; and these books were in the access of the Jewish and Christian scholars (some are even present today.) The religious scholars would retell the signs and comings of the final messenger to their communities. For instance, the Jewish scholars had informed their community in Medina and had told them of the Prophet’s migration to Medina. Thus, when the people in Medina met Prophet Muhammad (pbuh&HP), they realized that he was the same one whom Jewish scholars had spoken of.

A few years before the advent of Islam, one of the Syrian Jews whose name was Ibn Hayyaban traveled to Medina. The people, who had seen him, appreciated his virtues and would say, “Whenever we suffered drought and needed rain, we asked him to pray for rain. Shortly after he would pray, clouds would begin appearing in the sky and rain. This happened a lot; therefore, Ibn Hayyaban had great authority among the Jews in Medina”.

Near the ends of the life of Ibn Hayyaban, he gathered the people around him and said, “O! Jews, what do you think has made me travel from the habitable and prosperous Syria to this poor country?”

“You know that better than we do,” the people replied.

Ibn Hayyaban continued, “I came here from Syria and awaited the Prophet whose advent is close; because he will migrate to this place. I was hopeful to find him and become of his followers. But unfortunately I have lost my hope, for I am passing away. If you hear any name or news from him, do not let anyone precede you in converting to his religion…” And with these last words Ibn-Hayban passed away.

The morning that the Jewish tribe of Bani-Quraidhah was defeated by the army of Muslims, three of the younger Jews: Tha’labah, Osayyid and Asad, who hadn’t been affected by the ill customs and manners of the Jewish tribe, remembered what Ibn Hayyaban had advised them. They told their relatives, “I swear this man is the same Prophet whom Ibn Hayyaban had told us about. Fear God and obey him.”

The Jews replied, “No, this is not the same man!”

These three young men again insisted upon their claim, “Of course, most certainly he is the man.”

It was then that these three men came down from their castle, joined the Muslim army, and converted to Islam.

(Selections taken from Allamah Askari’s ”The role of Imams in the revival of religion”, with additional commentaries)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users