11 replies to this topic

#1 Heaven

Heaven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:59 PM

Salam Alaikoum...

I know you may think i'm crazy by just reading the title, but seriously speaking, has anyone heard of this? They say that if you were socks while sleeping it could affect your eye vision, as in decreasing it, or something of that sort. How can socks possibly be related to the vision? :blink:

wa/salam

#2 Guest_faithful8876__*

Guest_faithful8876__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

FINALLy someone else heard it besides me..yeah ive heard that too, and i told it to my math class once and they laughed at me :( but anyhew! its true ive even heard a doctor on tv say it, and every person in my class who said "i wear socks when i sleep" wore either contacts or glasses..apparently, while you sleep your body gets heavier or something and the socks tend to put pressure and the pressure goes up and eventually it affects your eye vision. :o crazy talk, i know

#3 killer_zahra

killer_zahra

Shia Gangster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:12 PM

FINALLy someone else heard it besides me..yeah ive heard that too, and i told it to my math class once and they laughed at me :( but anyhew! its true ive even heard a doctor on tv say it, and every person in my class who said "i wear socks when i sleep" wore either contacts or glasses..apparently, while you sleep your body gets heavier or something and the socks tend to put pressure and the pressure goes up and eventually it affects your eye vision. :o crazy talk, i know

(bismillah) (salam)
Yaaaaay. Alhamdulillah ditto by the way I got laughed at too :angry: and then i heard it on tv by a doc too :D. yep I heard the pressure goes up and the oxygen isnt circulated properly when u wear ur socks and ur vision is affected and ur feet would stink ewwwwwww.

Wasalaam
Iltamse Dua

#4 fyst

fyst

Tesseract

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts
  • Religion:Shi'i

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

(salam)

ok let me start by laughing my guts out:

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

ok, now that that's done we can get back to the point.

just kidding. ;)

well, thing is that applying pressure on the feet while sleeping could (i don't know for sure) cause eye damage, but nevertheless it has very little to do with wearing socks. i know people who sleep with socks frequently and still have perfect vision.
i myself wrap my balnket around my feet always before sleeping and my eyesight is still fine. i don't know anyone who applies extra pressure to his/her feet before sleeping though, so cant say for sure. however, my point was that socks barely increase the pressure on the feet so i don't really think wearing socks would be too bad.

ali

#5 Saby

Saby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:37 PM

(salam)

Okay I have to laugh!!
:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

Never heard of it.. is it a cultural thing?

I am always told to take my socks off while sleeping b/c it will make my head warm or something like that.

So yeah, i am told to take them off but I am not 100% sure of the reasoning.

#6 Ya Aba 3abdillah

Ya Aba 3abdillah

Destination - Jerusalem

• Admins
  • 12,434 posts
  • Religion:Islam Shia Usooli
  • Interests:Nahjul Balagha
    www.al-islam.org

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

man, who can sleep wearing socks??? how annoyingggggggg

#7 Hajar

Hajar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:25 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

man, who can sleep wearing socks??? how annoyingggggggg

(salam)

That's easy for you to say, spend a winter in Canada. LOL

#8 jlainqatar

jlainqatar

Mabrook alaycom as-shahr!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • Interests:Islam, education, psychology, exercise/sports

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:29 PM

Selam alaycom,

I have heard the same thing, but I don't know if it's a cultural thing or it's medically proven. There are some weird beliefs floating around the ME: one that immediately comes to mind is that a baby born in the 8th month will have something wrong with it, that it is better to be born in the end of the 7th. Go figure. Some women here who deliver at the end of the 8th month will lie and say: I've entered the 9th month, just so that nobody will be suspicious about the child's health.

Peace,
Um Ali

#9 bintil huda

bintil huda

بنت الهدى

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:29 AM

loool...omg i thought i was the only one whos heard of such a thing. :!!!: ..once i wore socks while i was sleeping cuz it was freeezzzin. and every morning id wake up my eyes tearyyy and blurrrry and i went tot he doc...and shes like the first thing...." do u wear socks when u sleep? " i was like omg...SHES STALKING ON ME...how does she know...so im like YAH I DO....( i felt weird telling her tht) and thens hes liek dont..so i dont wear soks no more when i sleep..ruins ur eye vision..or osmething like tht

*bintil huda*

#10 Heaven

Heaven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:43 AM

LOL...Glad to know that some of you have heard about this.

But this is not fair. Socks are comfy :(

#11 Hajar

Hajar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:04 PM

(salam)

Apparantly some people don't agree with this. Some people actually recommend wearing socks to bed. :D

Here is a Chinese Medicine tip:
http://www.kfir.net/tips.html#tip13

How to "sock it" to Insomnia

You can get a better night's sleep, by donning a pair of warm socks before slipping into bed for the night. Good circulation, which regulates body temperature and has been linked to falling asleep, is compromised when your feet are cold. If you are uncomfortable wearing socks, cuddle your feet up to a hot water bottle and see how fast you fall asleep!

http://www.mothernat...ooks/16/102.cfm

Here a tip to keep your fingers and toes toasty.

Bump up the bedroom temperature. Metabolism slows during sleep, so it's important to keep your body temperature high, says Dr. Abruzzo. Wearing socks and even mittens to bed will add extra warmth on cold nights.

Pregnancy tip
http://my.webmd.com/...ges/3/3608_1046

Leg Pains and Cramps
Wear support hose during the day, and elevate your feet when resting, if possible. Use a heating pad or gentle massage on the back of your thigh to ease sciatica. When a leg cramp hits, straighten your leg and slowly flex your ankle and toes, massage your calf, or soak your leg in hot water. You may be able to prevent night cramps by wearing socks to bed or by pressing your foot against the bed board. If painful cramps persist, ask your doctor about calcium or magnesium supplements.

WaSalaam, Hajar

#12 shiaonline

shiaonline

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:22 PM

when you wear socks while sleeping it makes you worm only when its clean!!
when you wear dirty socks while sleeping with a blanket the dirt sticks to the blanket yuck :squeez:

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users