hasanhh

end of FaceBook ?

Wow thanks, didn't know it was possible to delete it now. Last I checked it could only be deleted if you could prove you are dead. 

BTW the link in the original post does not work but this one does https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17142806/how-to-delete-facebook-page-account-data-privacy

Alhamdulillah I am happy that these news are getting out there.

The concept of big data and the way these "social medias" use your information and how your giving them it for free is something that needs to come to everyones attention.

Here is a interesting investigation worth watching:

Unfortunately, most people are naive when it comes to these issues. If a service is free (to you), they are making money somehow, otherwise they wouldn't be in business for long. Facebook makes money by collecting your personal data(interests, friends, locations, things you click on, etc, etc) then selling this information to the highest bidder. In this case, the highest bidder was a company which used the data to influence the political system in the US (and probably other places). 

If you don't want your data collected and sold, don't go on Facebook. It's that simple. 

13 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

Unfortunately, most people are naive when it comes to these issues. If a service is free (to you), they are making money somehow, otherwise they wouldn't be in business for long. Facebook makes money by collecting your personal data(interests, friends, locations, things you click on, etc, etc) then selling this information to the highest bidder. In this case, the highest bidder was a company which used the data to influence the political system in the US (and probably other places). 

If you don't want your data collected and sold, don't go on Facebook. It's that simple. 

There's an expression to this effect. "If a product is free, the real product is you."

Facebook is too big to end / die / fail ...  more like watch the stocks carefully and buy at or close to the floor -major analysts still have a price target for facebook stock at $200 (down from $205) - currently at $169 ... there is no such thing as privacy anymore.  

17 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Alhamdulillah I am happy that these news are getting out there.

The concept of big data and the way these "social medias" use your information and how your giving them it for free is something that needs to come to everyones attention.

Here is a interesting investigation worth watching:  ...

l first heard today that Bannon was part of Cambridge Analytica.

As to whiney Hillary suggesting nefariousness by asking "how did the Russians know", as a former Sec of State she knows as well as l do  of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_US_and_Canadian_Studies  and knew the Georgy Arbatov died in 2010.  The former was --50 years ago-- basic 'required' information and that it still exists post-1991.   ln that lnstitute, US poIitics, elections and more are studied and documented by fluent American styled-English speakers.

Who cares about what data they can or cannot get? You're being spied on in countless other ways anyway, I use facebook to get my news and I share a lot of stuff on it, and most people admittedly are apolitical and don't give a crap but some will appreciate the posts. You have to know how to play the game and beat them at it. Social media served the powers well by minimising face-to-face interaction, the less you interact the more divided they can keep you, so use it in a positive way. 

Thursday, 22March18   The PBS Nightly Business Report described FB as in an "existential crisis".

Friday, 23March18, Elon Musk has joined "the delete Facebook crusade". https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/23/tesla-spacex-pages-vanish-as-musk-joins-deletefacebook-crusade/ 

FB stock was ~$185 on 18March (all time high ~196) and in after hours today, the 23rd, it is ~$150.

I think the establishment/media is furious that they are not taken as seriously anymore, and with social media, people are exposed to a lot more unfiltered information. Is it than not surprising that they are encouraging people to delete FB? With this said, its not as if FB is not to blame for selling out private data.

3 hours ago, shiasoldier786 said:

I think the establishment/media is furious that they are not taken as seriously anymore, and with social media, people are exposed to a lot more unfiltered information. Is it than not surprising that they are encouraging people to delete FB? With this said, its not as if FB is not to blame for selling out private data.

"selling information" and advertising space: all the social media has this in their business model. This has been in the public domain for years and has been posted about on SC.

While doing some research l tripped over this:  https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/10/13582008/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-trump-president-statement at the end "Zuckerberg didn't say..." while the rest of Silicon Valley was adamantly "anti-Trump" and "Z"  took a "more even tone". [3rd paragraph alludes to this].

Addition:  Zuckerberg is not particularly popular with Silicon Valley not only because of his "even tone" during the 2016 election, but also because he is disturbing their world:  https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/mark-zuckerberg-competition-silicon-valley 

Edited by hasanhh
addition

i have no problem with facebook dying - or for that matter the entire silicoln valley going down the drain ... i just don't think that's going to happen... they've become too big. But if they do go down the drain I'll be like drinking major swigs of rooh afza to celebrate.

They've caused major disruptions throughout California - resulting in massive outmigration of the best people - and massive homelessness because of huge increases in rent and property prices that only these $250K /yr types can afford... - so, I'd be more than happy for them to go away. I just need to quickly sell my stocks - but I just don't see it happening. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/380065-companies-pull-advertising-from-facebook-after-cambridge-analytica-scandal 

Monster.com is one.

NBC News, Saturday, 24March18: in a report said there has been some deleting of social media sites, not just Facebook, but that the real 'stop' on more deletions is that many people rely on social media for nearly all info, communications and relationships.

ln an article confusing to me -because l do not use social media or its devices- this article shows how an utter lack of transparency exists in the Z-World of Facebook.

Data is categorized and then each compartmentalized to include "SMS data"(?-me), contacts, by individual apps and so on. [OPINE this makes a lot of data available for sale to 5-Eye gov't peeping Toms.]

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/facebook-scraped-call-text-message-data-for-years-from-android-phones/ 

The way this is written, l believe FB is destroying data/information not as the 'public-backlash-demands',, but as a destruction of evidence.

Zuckerberg is being hounded to testify before Congress and other inquiries have started or being planned.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:14 AM, Mohamed1993 said:

, I use facebook to get my news

Worst way possible to get your news - you will only read stories that you either already know or already agree with. 

4 hours ago, notme said:

Worst way possible to get your news - you will only read stories that you either already know or already agree with. 

Correct there, Uhty.  Even with my desk top Google sends me these "stories you may like" that is consistent with their algorithm that l exercise searches based on "conformational bias" which is -as l understand- derived from shopping history models.

2 hours ago, bigboi said:

salam!

Does shiachat do any data collection? how much? does shiachat share it with facebook?

I answered that in the related linked topic. And no, if you don't link your shiachat account to Facebook nothing is shared. Facebook keeps records of linked accounts, shiachat doesn't. 

I sold my tiny amount of stocks in facebook. After further reading what facebook collects, and that there is absolutely nothing private about what you do on facebook - even if you wade through their privacy stuff and take it to the max - even then nothing is private. There are already indications not just about deleting facebook - but that the activity level on facebook has dropped significantly - activity such as the famous (maybe soon to be infamous) thumbs up like etc. has dropped. Activity is how facebook make their big bucks - that is how they sell advertising, and sell the data ... if people stop being active - no more data to sell ... 

While i have not twisted open the cap of my rooh afzah bottle yet ... I'm now getting prepared for the possibility of an awesome celebration day when facebook folds or at least is majorly cut down. 

Edited by skylight2

The rate of technological change is fast, and our culture with it. Facebook may well be obsolete in due time. 

Can’t confirm this, but isn’t Facebook’s average user base getting older? So what will  be the new thing? What will the 2030s bring?

Remember MySpace...

1 hour ago, Reza said:

The rate of technological change is fast, and our culture with it. Facebook may well be obsolete in due time. 

Can’t confirm this, but isn’t Facebook’s average user base getting older? So what will  be the new thing? What will the 2030s bring?

Remember MySpace...

Yes I remember MySpace and your close friends would get angry if they are not in your top 8 or number 1 

could even ruin a relationship LOL

I manually deleted my favorite books, movies, famous people I admire, everything at Facebook. Somehow I think Facebook still has all that data, even though my account shows nothing except my profile photo and my cover photo. Do they have a backup of our data in case some Facebook users beg them to restore their data? Facebook definitely has its bad side. I saw angry political posts by my Christian cousin who seems to hate Muslims, but suddenly he stopped posting a few months before the US presidential election in 2016. I saw my husband's Muslim niece, who lives in Iran, has photos in Paris, Malaysia and other countries, without her hijab, and was shocked to discover that she has no photos wearing hijab! My husband talked to her in 2008 about hijab and its importance. It's a lot to take in and process in my brain. Then I decide not to look at those two accounts again. The good side: I look for new photos of my family and relatives; baby photos are sweet.