shia farm girl

Revelation of entire Quran at once or...?

Rate this topic

As salaamun aleikum dear brothers and sisters,

I had researched this topic many years ago, but I have forgotten the final conclusion I arrived at.

Was the Holy Quran revealed all at once upon the Prophets heart at the time of the first revelation in the cave?

Or...

Was it revealed slowly to him, each ayat at a time, over the course of his Prophethood?

I have also come across the idea that it was the concepts/ truth and haq of the Quran/existence etc. that was revealed all at once in the cave along with the first revelation and that the specific worded version is what decended/ was revealed one ayat at a time, over the course of his Prophethood.

I have heard arguements and reasoning for both, pretty much all i have forgotten, but this subject came up again last night, and i couldnt remember a thing:/

What I am currently stuck on is, there were numerous occasions where a situation had arisen and the Prophet had to wait considerable amounts of time before an answer ( revelation) was revealed to him regarding that particular situation and/or how ro move forward. 

I remember one of the arguements in favor of it happening all at once and regarding the book form only (no concepts/truth/haq in this scenario) claims  that it DID occur all at once, but he was told by Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى not to reveal any of it until he was instructed to, and that this is why he waited through many instances.

@Sumerian @Hameedeh @eThErEaL @Qa'im @Ashvazdanghe

Thank you,

W/s

Quote:

“ 8. The Qur’an claims several stages of its existence

(1) A pre-revealed existence with God in the Lawhe Mahfuz (Ch. LXXXV: v 22) (protected tablet) and in the Kitab-e-Maknun Ch. LVI: vs 77-79) (hidden book).

“Verily it is an honoured Qur’an, In a Book hidden, Toucheth it not save the purified ones.”

(Ch. LVI: vs 77-79)

(2) A revealed form taught to the Holy Prophet when he was created and given the power of expression.

“(God), the Beneficent, Taught He the Qur’an. He created man, He taught him Expression.”

(Ch: LV: vs 1-3).

And

(3) an arranged form revealed to the heart of the Holy Prophet in its totality on the esteemed night in the month of Ramadhan. (Ch. XLIV: vs 1-6 and Ch. XCVII: Al-Qadr).

These three stages refer to God’s teaching the Holy Prophet and acquainting him with the Qur’an.

(4) Fourth is the stage of the gradual revelation of the Qur’an; in this stage the revelation of the Qur’an part by part was meant for recitation to the people (Ch. XVII: v 106):

“And it is the Qur’an which We have apportioned it so that thou mayest recite it unto the people with deliberation (by degrees), and We have sent it down, gradually in portions.”

(Ch: XVII: v 106)

It was in this stage of recitation that the first five verses of Ch. XLVI (‘Alaq or Iqra) were revealed. The first chapter of the Qur’an named al- Fatihatul-Kitab (the Opening Chapter of the Holy Book, the Qur’an) was revealed for the recitation later. In this stage of revelation the circumstances would require quotation and recitation of some chapters or verses (from chapters) not in accordance with the order of the previous arrangement. A portion of one chapter would be recited earlier and the other portion would remain to be recited later on. In this interval few other chapters were revealed for recitation.

(5) Fifth is the stage of post-gradual revelation wherein the Qur’an was taught to be placed within the reach of Jinns and Ins (Jinns and human beings) as an everlasting guidance and challenging miracle. Post-gradual revelation begins in the last year of the Holy Prophet’s ministry. The Holy Prophet said that Gabriel used to place the Qur’an before him every year but this year he placed it twice before him as it was the Holy Prophet’s last year in this material world. It was approximately three months before the Holy Prophet’s repeated declaration:

“ I am leaving among you two precious things, the Book of God and my Ahl al-Bayt.”

It is obvious, then, that the arrangement of the post-gradual revelation should be in accordance with the order of the Qur’an or pre-gradual revelation because circumstances may require an earlier recitation of a portion which might be next in the order of the pre-revealed arrangement.

This fact is supported by the Qur’an

“Verily, on Us is the collection of it and the recital of it! (Ch. LXXV:v 17)

Also there are the traditions indicating that the Holy Prophet used to order the scribes to place the revealed verses of different rhythmical pitch in the relevant chapters; and the Qur’an was revised by Gabriel twice in the last year of the Prophet’s ministry. Therefore, the place and the date of revelation have no bearing on the order of arrangement of the Qur’an in post-gradual revelation. What we find written in the beginning of every chapter about the date and place of revelation ( whether revealed in Mecca or Medina) are not part of the Qur’an. People had marked these out for their reference. Thus, it is not correct to consider the present placing of the Madani Chapters before Makki and vice versa as a sign of disorder and lack of proper arrangement.”

Page #’s: 30-32

Book: Essence of The Holy Qur’an (The Eternal Light)

By: Ayatullah Agha Haji Mirza Mahdi Pooya

On 2/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, shia farm girl said:

Was it revealed slowly to him, each ayat at a time, over the course of his Prophethood?

Salam, @shia farm girl. I was having computer trouble on the day you posted your topic, so I was unable to come to ShiaChat. I agree with the reply by @S.M.H.A.. :) 

On 2/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum dear brothers and sisters,

I had researched this topic many years ago, but I have forgotten the final conclusion I arrived at.

Was the Holy Quran revealed all at once upon the Prophets heart at the time of the first revelation in the cave?

Or...

I have also come across the idea that it was the concepts/ truth and haq of the Quran/existence etc. that was revealed all at once in the cave along with the first revelation and that the specific worded version is what decended/ was revealed one ayat at a time, over the course of his Prophethood.

I have heard arguements and reasoning for both, pretty much all i have forgotten, but this subject came up again last night, and i couldnt remember a thing:/

What I am currently stuck on is, there were numerous occasions where a situation had arisen and the Prophet had to wait considerable amounts of time before an answer ( revelation) was revealed to him regarding that particular situation and/or how ro move forward. 

I remember one of the arguements in favor of it happening all at once and regarding the book form only (no concepts/truth/haq in this scenario) claims  that it DID occur all at once, but he was told by Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى not to reveal any of it until he was instructed to, and that this is why he waited through many instances.

@Sumerian @Hameedeh @eThErEaL @Qa'im @Ashvazdanghe

Thank you,

W/s

Assalam.

yes and two times.

once he received it all at once, and the second time took time by time.

you can easily see what was the first Surah and where he received his first Wahy:-)

Wassalam.

easy way to remember it for all time, Enshallah.

first surah?

Order Sura Name Number Type Note
1 Al-Alaq 96

Meccan

as you can see Al-Alaq in Meccan.

but look at surah Al-Qadr verses.

Indeed, We sent the Qur'an down during the Night of Decree

and now lets have a look on Surah Al-Baqara

The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.

in that Night, in that Month, the holy quran revealed all at once upon the Prophets heart.

Shaykh as-Saduq mentions in his I`tiqadat two types of revelation. The totality of the Quran was revealed to the Prophet's heart on the Night of Power, which allowed him to actualize the whole revelation in his words and action from the beginning. So he never committed any act that would be forbidden later in the 23 years. However, the Prophet had not consciously "accessed" those verses. Meaning, he was not reciting all of the words to the Quran, but rather he had digested its meaning and was acting upon it. Think of it like a WinZIP or Winrar file that is sent to you, but you had not opened it and looked through its contents. Your computer has all of the contents of that Winzip file, but it is still zipped up, compressed, and not yet accessed.

The second type of revelation that occurred on the Night of Power: the Quran was sent down altogether to Bayt al-Ma`mur, and then over the 23-year span, the words to the verses were given to the Prophet piecemeal. Surat al-Qadr says "anzalnahu", which is a full descending, rather than "tannazzalu", which is a gradual descending.