Rate this question

Question

Cats have a high status in Islam at least from what I've heard it's permissable to own cats as pets and they are free to walk into mosques?

My question is why it's haram to have the most loyal pet and the best friend of man (dogs) as pets and why they are being treated badly in majority-muslim countries when it clearly doesn't say anything about it in the Qur'an and there are hadiths and verses in Qur'an where they are talked about in a good way: 

Verse 5:4 says "Lawful for you are all good things, and [the prey] that trained [hunting] dogs and falcons catch for you." Qur'an 

Verse 18:18 describes the Companions of the Cave, a group of saintly young men presented in the Qurʼan as exemplars of religion, sleeping with "their dog stretching out its forelegs at the threshold." Qur'an 

Islamic fatāwā, or rulings, enjoin that dogs be treated kindly or else be freed.

The historian William Montgomery Watt states that Muhammad's kindness to animals was remarkable; he cites an instance of Muhammad, while traveling with his army to Mecca in 630 CE, posting sentries to ensure that a female dog and her newborn puppies were not disturbed.[36] On the other hand, in a tradition found in the Sunni hadith book al-Muwatta’, Muhammad is reported as saying that the company of dogs voids a portion of a Muslim's good deeds.[37] However, in "two separate narrations by Abu Hurayrah, the Prophet told his companions of the virtue of saving the life of a dog by giving it water and quenching its thirst. One story referred to a man who was blessed by Allah for giving water to a thirsty dog, the other was a prostitute who filled her shoe with water and gave it to a dog, who had its tongue rolling out from thirst. For this deed she was granted the ultimate reward, the eternal Paradise under which rivers flow, to live therein forever." Here some hadiths contradicts eachother and what does shia hadiths say about this?

9 answers to this question

As-salaam alaikum

It's not haram to own a dog, otherwise it would be a contradiction to 5:4 in the Quran. More so, one should be careful of the purpose and intention of owning a dog and it's generally accepted to be correct for hunting or farming purposes. One must also pay extra attention around dogs as they are considered unclean and have najasah (especially the saliva). They should not be kept within ones home and kept separate. This doesn't mean they should be hated or the right to treat them badly, as they are a creation of Allah.

See below post:

The legal evidence for the najasah of the dog:

The najasah of the dog is a legal issue. In the Quran, nothing has been said regarding the najasah of the dog and pig. But, it is totally wrong to think that all legal rulings have been and must be specifically addressed in the Quran. The Quran has kept it at the general fundamentals when it comes to legal rulings, leaving their expansion and interpretation to the prophet (pbuh), and after him, to the infallible imams (as). For example, when we look at the rulings of prayer, we see that there are many detailed rulings, while the Quran has only mentioned a few of them. As for the legal evidence for the najasah of the dog:

1- Consensus: The great Islamic jurists all agree that the dog is a najis thing; this ruling is consensual among them. [3]

2- Hadiths: The consensus mentioned above, is a result of the many hadiths cited in hadith sources. Of course, r egarding the najasah of the dog, the hadiths that have reached us can be divided into two categories; ones that contain the term ‘najis’ in them and others that don’t have the exact term but nonetheless necessitate their najasah. In these hadiths, the najasah of the dog can be concluded judging from the questions that the imams have been asked regarding the leftovers of a dog and the corresponding answers they have given; here are some examples:

a) Imam Sadiq (as) was asked about the dog. The imam answered: “It is najis. Throw away the leftover [water] of the dog and don’t perform wudu with it. First rub the container of the water with soil and then wash it with water.” [4]

B) Ibn Shurayh asked Imam Sadiq (as) about the leftover of the dog, and the imam replied: “No, by Allah, it is najis.” [5]

c) Abi Suhayl asked Imam Sadiq (as) about the dog, and his eminence repeated three times: “The dog is najis.” [6]

[1] Mutahhari, Murteza, Majmu’eye Asar, vol. 20, pg. 52, Sadra Press, fifth edition, 1380 (2001).

[2] al-Minar Magazine, sixth year, pg. 307.

[3] Rohani, Seyyed Sadiq, Fiqh al-Sadiq, vol. 3, pg. 281, the software of this book entitled Mowsu’ah al-Imam al-Rohani; Najafi, Muhammad Hasan, Jawahir al-Kalām , vol. 5, pp. 366-368, seventh edition, Beirut, Daar Ihya’ al-Turath al-Arabi.

[4] Question 20898 (site: 20043), General Answer, with slight alteration.

[5] Hurr Amili, Muhammad bin al-Hasan, Wasa’il al-Shi’ah, vol. 3, chapter 12 of the chapters on najasah, hadith 6, Daar Ihya’ al-Turath al-Arabi, Beirut.

[6] Wasa’il al-Shi’ah, vol. 3, chapter 12 of the chapters on najasah.

25 minutes ago, TheGreenWanderer said:

More so, one should be careful of the purpose and intention of owning a dog

I know that the Quran is not the only source for legal question that was why I also talked about hadiths...

I have a dog as pet (companion) it this haram? 

Another question what if you rescue stray dogs and share your home with them? Then you have the dog because of a reason

18 hours ago, Walidgaleb said:

I know that the Quran is not the only source for legal question that was why I also talked about hadiths...

Another question what if you rescue stray dogs and share your home with them? Then you have the dog because of a reason

keeping a dog is not haram. Dog is a najis animal, so its not preferable to keep one, unless for a purpose

Special care must be taken against its sliva as its najis.

On ۱۳۹۶/۱۱/۱۹ at 2:43 AM, Walidgaleb said:

Salam there is no problem about taking care of Animaly but you must consider religious rulings about that

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01130/

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/taharat#dogs-and-pigs

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-stories/care-animals

On 2/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, Walidgaleb said:

No. It is not haram, but most people don't have dogs as pets for two reasons

1) Other people are meant to be your companions, not animals. It may appear to you as if the dog is your friend and companion, but really the dog is only looking for food and shelter. Animals don't have the capacity to be your companion in the way that other people can, because they are a different kind of creation of Allah(s.w.a). There is more to this, but I don't want to make a long winded post. 

What I have noticed, living in the West, in America, is that most people who cling to animals as companions (not just have them as pets, but rely on them for emotional, psychological support) have some sort of personality disorder that stops them from having quality interactions with most people. So instead of working on their own issue, which is hard, they take the easy route which is building a relationship with an animal who can't respond and hold them accountable when they give into their disorder. This leads to a 'downward spiral' in their personality, and I have seen this happen many times in my own life personally. Since we live in a world filled with people, all types of people, who are like us, that we can choose to interact with and who can give us real love, support, encouragement, compassion, and we can't find at least a few of those people to interact with a build a support system with, that means that we have a real problem that we should look at. 

2) Dogs are najis. This does not mean they are evil, it just means that because they are najis, it is very difficult to maintain tahara of your immediate environment while having a dog. You will constantly have to follow the dog around, if the dog is anywhere where you go on a regular basis. The reason why hunting dogs and work animals are allowed in Islam is because these animals are kept outside the home (in a yard, barn, etc) and they don't go inside the house and they only interact with people when it relates to the work. But when you have an animal as a pet / companion, most likely they will venture inside the home at some point, and this is where the problem of najis / tahara happens. 

Yes, I agree that dogs and other animals are mistreated in muslim countries and elsewhere. That is because there are many muslims who misunderstand what the proper role for animals are in our society, because their knowledge of the religion in this area is very minimal. In fact, we have many hadith about how animals should be treated and how we should interact and not interact with them. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

1 hour ago, Abu Hadi said:

It may appear to you as if the dog is your friend and companion, but really the dog is only looking for food and shelter

I assume that you’ve never had a dog, because that’s complete wrong, dogs have a hierarchy system in which they are extremely loyal and devoted to the alpha. In cases where people own dogs the human is the alpha for the dog. The loyalty a dog has to its human can not be found between other species. If I was with my dog and someone attacked me he wouldn’t hesitate to attack if I didn’t say not to. I understand the whole meaning of your answer and I appreciate it but just that quote is completely wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Walidgaleb said:

I assume that you’ve never had a dog, because that’s complete wrong, dogs have a hierarchy system in which they are extremely loyal and devoted to the alpha. In cases where people own dogs the human is the alpha for the dog. The loyalty a dog has to its human can not be found between other species. If I was with my dog and someone attacked me he wouldn’t hesitate to attack if I didn’t say not to. I understand the whole meaning of your answer and I appreciate it but just that quote is completely wrong. 

Like I said, it appears to you that way. In Islam, we believe that animals as well as people have a soul. The type of soul an animal has (there is a specific term in Arabic that is used in hadith literature) is different from the type of soul a person has. So when you are talking about a real relationship, something that involves love, compassion, empathy, the way we understand it, is not something that is possible between an animal and a person. An animal may appear to be loyal, loving, etc, but their motivations are different and the 'soul to soul' interaction with an animal is not possible, since you are not an animal. You may think this type of interaction is happening and people have speculated about this, but since it is not possible to 'measure' the soul with traditional scientific instruments, we cannot find the answer thru what is called 'science' nowdays, but the hadith are clear about this subject. I could bring some, but it seems you have already made up your mind about this, so I am not sure why you are posting the question ? 

If you truly believe that a dog can have a relationship with a person, the same as another human being, then why do dogs attack their owners on a regular basis for no apparent reason (and also attack members of their families) and the dogs are not held accountable for this ? 

Edited by Abu Hadi

On 2/7/2018 at 10:24 PM, Walidgaleb said:

Cats have a high status in Islam at least from what I've heard it's permissable to own cats as pets and they are free to walk into mosques?

My question is why it's haram to have the most loyal pet and the best friend of man (dogs) as pets and why they are being treated badly in majority-muslim countries when it clearly doesn't say anything about it in the Qur'an and there are hadiths and verses in Qur'an where they are talked about in a good way: 

Verse 5:4 says "Lawful for you are all good things, and [the prey] that trained [hunting] dogs and falcons catch for you." Qur'an 

Verse 18:18 describes the Companions of the Cave, a group of saintly young men presented in the Qurʼan as exemplars of religion, sleeping with "their dog stretching out its forelegs at the threshold." Qur'an 

Islamic fatāwā, or rulings, enjoin that dogs be treated kindly or else be freed.

The historian William Montgomery Watt states that Muhammad's kindness to animals was remarkable; he cites an instance of Muhammad, while traveling with his army to Mecca in 630 CE, posting sentries to ensure that a female dog and her newborn puppies were not disturbed.[36] On the other hand, in a tradition found in the Sunni hadith book al-Muwatta’, Muhammad is reported as saying that the company of dogs voids a portion of a Muslim's good deeds.[37] However, in "two separate narrations by Abu Hurayrah, the Prophet told his companions of the virtue of saving the life of a dog by giving it water and quenching its thirst. One story referred to a man who was blessed by Allah for giving water to a thirsty dog, the other was a prostitute who filled her shoe with water and gave it to a dog, who had its tongue rolling out from thirst. For this deed she was granted the ultimate reward, the eternal Paradise under which rivers flow, to live therein forever." Here some hadiths contradicts eachother and what does shia hadiths say about this?

Moula ali(a.s) states that a dog has 11 characteristics of a momin for example...he is loyal, he is brave, only two characteristics he doesn't have of momin...momin comprises of 13 characteristics...

Don't worry about it, pet a dog brother...Dog is mentioned in Quran in good terms and is going to heaven as well...And so called mullas who give fatwa declare him najis...

7 minutes ago, Karbalai110 said:

Moula ali(a.s) states that a dog has 11 characteristics of a momin for example...he is loyal, he is brave, only two characteristics he doesn't have of momin...momin comprises of 13 characteristics...

Don't worry about it, pet a dog brother...Dog is mentioned in Quran in good terms and is going to heaven as well...And so called mullas who give fatwa declare him najis...

Assalam,

i would prefer to have, Pigeons, sheeps and cats, since it is Mustahab by having them, so cats prio to dogs.

wassalam.

Edited by Haimid

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.