Sumerian

Hafez Al-Assad, America's ally

Rate this topic

Hafez Al-Assad's Syria was part of America's alliance against Iraq in order to liberate Kuwait.

Not to mention, Lebanon's current government maintains close ties to the United States and the Lebanese Army conducts a lot of training under American supervision.

There were even reports of US spec ops in Lebanon fighting ISIS alongside the Lebanese Army;

See here for info

How come we don't see people on here criticising Hafez or Aoun in the same way they criticise PM Abadi of allying with the Americans on security and counter-terrorism issues?

Lol, I have even heard that some Shi'a used to praise Erdogan and Qatar [despite being American allies] before the whole Syrian conflict started, which really shows you how easily Shi'a can be misled into falling in love with certain political figures in the Sunni world.

Yet they are quick to shout against Iraq because of their own inferiority complex, they are afraid to anger the other side so they take their annoyance out on their own brethren unless there is a real conflict of interest with the other side.

There is a reason why all this happens, it's because people only like to see and read what they want to see and read.

Edited by Sumerian

Salam brothers ans sisters,

First off I dislike the Assad family they're baathist dictators just like Saddam. I asked many Arabs before the war why did he try to appease the west? And he had strong ties to the gulf countries!!! (look what they did to him now lol). I found out before the overthrow of Saddam The gulf countries thought a Sunni dictator in Iraq and A Alawite(Shia) Dictator right next to each other balanced out so to appease the west and the gulf countries the Assads tried to suck up to them in any way possible (its appalling I know). However, things took a turn down south after the installment of a Shia government in Iraq after the overthrow of pro Sunni Saddam (God curse him). The gulf went crazy from what I was told thus they used the Syrian people's true revolution and turned it into this nightmare we all know now with the funding of Salafist Wahhabi groups in Syria to install a Pro Sunni government. So no he wasn't a Anti Wahabi crusader as many here try to show him he was a suck up to keep his power. Go check up pictures of him and his father frequently visiting Saudi Arabia and the Queen of England. There's also a rumor around that he's a french Freemason, but I couldn't find any legit proof expect empty words.

Hope this helped ask me any questions I know a lot about this.

12 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Hafez Al-Assad's Syria was part of America's alliance against Iraq in order to liberate Kuwait.

Not to mention, Lebanon's current government maintains close ties to the United States and the Lebanese Army conducts a lot of training under American supervision.

There were even reports of US spec ops in Lebanon fighting ISIS alongside the Lebanese Army;

See here for info

How come we don't see people on here criticising Hafez or Aoun in the same way they criticise PM Abadi of allying with the Americans on security and counter-terrorism issues?

Lol, I have even heard that some Shi'a used to praise Erdogan and Qatar [despite being American allies] before the whole Syrian conflict started, which really shows you how easily Shi'a can be misled into falling in love with certain political figures in the Sunni world.

Yet they are quick to shout against Iraq because of their own inferiority complex, they are afraid to anger the other side so they take their annoyance out on their own brethren unless there is a real conflict of interest with the other side.

There is a reason why all this happens, it's because people only like to see and read what they want to see and read.

Yeah, when interests align Iran has cooperated with the US too in Afghanistan/Iraq/Bosnia. We can't view the world from a black and white perspective, my own opinions on this have evolved over time too. Yes, the US does plenty of messed up things in the world, more so than any other country at present, but doesn't make any other countries innocent when they cooperate with them over mutual interests. I've noticed the anti-American/anti-Israel rhetoric in Iran is one thing, but when you look at reality (important to distinguish this from words), there have been periods of intensive cooperation between the two countries particularly during Khatami's time in office. The US intensified hostilities each time after these attempts, however the rhetoric would lead you to believe otherwise. With this in mind, I don't see why Iraq cannot make its own decisions if Iran has cooperated with the US too over mutual interests. Iraq's top priority right now is stability and rebuilding, they should focus on that, it doesn't mean they will be hostile to Iran or anything, but I think they should determine their own course over foreign relations and what not.

Edited by Mohamed1993

1 hour ago, baradar_jackson said:

Well, I'm convinced

No arguments to defend Hafez or Aoun? Or is Abadi the only scapegoat that you hate on for co-operating with the US?

At least Abadi co-operated with America to fight ISIS, not to fight another country hahahaha.

Also, on the Assad front, WikiLeaks says the US used to send people to Assad's prisons for interegation, take that how you will ;)

Paranoia on all fronts it seems

Edited by Sumerian

"Also, on the Assad front, WikiLeaks says the US used to send people to Assad's prisons for interegation, take that how you will ;)"

Yes that's called the extraordinary rendition program, Many terrorists but also innocent accused civilians were sent to Syria under the CIA's watch to be tortured Many prisoners reported skin diseases being rampant, and cells being coffin sized. People that say Assad is a crusader for justice are watching too much RT and Press Tv. 

Also he allowed militants into Iraq after the overthrow of Saddam causing terrorist cells to form and kill Iraqi people under Saudi Arabia's wish. What type of so called Shia leader is this?

My Iraqi friend's uncle was tortured under Assad's rule he still has back damage from it to this day he was accused of being a Saddamist spy even though he was just a carpenter working in Lebanon and traveling back and forth between Iraq and Lebanon. 

Shame on the so called Islamic Republic and so called Party of God for supporting this evil dictator while in the 80's calling Saddam a tyrant thats hypocrisy on a gigantic level.

Any time you find yourself on the same side as the kafirs, especially the US government and the israeli one, then you must question your actions.

2 hours ago, Forgottenthinker said:

Shame on the so called Islamic Republic and so called Party of God for supporting this evil dictator while in the 80's calling Saddam a tyrant thats hypocrisy on a gigantic level.

It is called strategy for the greater good, it is called "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", mr "agnostic" shia.

In Syria, not only do the Shia Alhamdulillah want Al Assad but the sunnis too. Every single Syrian I know who is sunni (about 20) they all love Bashar a lot. He is the one who stop injustice and tyranny from entering the country and keeping Islam in Syria safe. What the USA and UK did in Iraq, they tried to also do it in Syria. So next time you want to go against the divine Iranian Islamic republic and the great Hezbollah, see if their injustice outweighs their justice or vice versa and the answer shall be clear. 

Let's consider this:

Was Saddam an enemy of the US? He fought two wars against the US and was overthrown by the US military. Was he an enemy of the US?  

When you look at little facts in an isolated way you can put forward this argument and say: hey, Saddam was the greatest enemy of the US. 

But this ignores the fact that the US was fully supportive of Saddam's military escapades in Iran (providing him with valuable intelligence, in the form of satellite photos and AWACS; BTW Hafez al Asad was on the other side of this conflict, the only Arab state to do so), fully supportive of his quelling of any internal discord (because they were afraid of the Islamic revolution being "exported"). 

And when Saddam invaded Kuwait, he got permission from the US!! US gave him the green light and then they punished him. And only then is where the so-called enmity begin between Saddam and the US. but looking at what happened we know that Saddam was not an enemy of the US. Rather he was more of a lapdog who fell out of favor because he wasn't useful Anymore.

Don't just look at factoids. Look at the whole picture, the whole timeline, the overall strategic direction. Hafez al Asad was against the imposed war and he was steadfast in rejecting Zionist expansionism and aggression. These are most certainly not the strategic stances of a US "ally."

You just evaded the whole question and focused on Saddam. I don't care about Saddam, whether he was an enemy or a lapdog. What I care about is whether Hafez Al-Assad co-operated and allied with America? The answer is yes. How can you deny that when he was part of the "American-led coalition" at one point in time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_of_Kuwait_campaign

This whole thread is not a comparison between Saddam and Hafez, it is to point out the hypocrisy of the inferiority complex affected people on here who attacked Prime Minister Abadi for co-operating with America for a "specific goal" (fighting terror) just as Hafez co-operated with America to liberate Kuwait and get Gulf aid.

Yet you didn't even bring up Abadi once, when the whole purpose of the thread was about him. You brought up Saddam, lol

Edited by Sumerian

9 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Also, on the Assad front, WikiLeaks says the US used to send people to Assad's prisons for interegation, take that how you will ;)

There was a proposal from Iran to the US after the US invaded Iraq to turn Hezbollah into a completely peaceful social/political organization and accept the two-state Israel/Palestinian solution to the conflict. In exchange the US would lift all sanctions against Iran and accept the Islamic Republic as a legitimate entity. I'm not sure many people are even aware of this. My presumption is that the Iranians saw a US president that believed in pre-emptive war and were worried they were next on the list, but when the US campaign in Iraq turned out to be such a disaster, Iran grew in confidence. Ultimately Iran also cares about its own national interests, so why can't Iraq?

13 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Ultimately Iran also cares about its own national interests, so why can't Iraq?

There is no problem that Iraq cares about its own national interest the main point is that Iraq doesn’t forget alliance with Iran & again by Arabic Nationalism & other issue becomes an ally of KSA against Iran.

7 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Iraq doesn’t forget alliance with Iran & again by Arabic Nationalism & other issue becomes an ally of KSA against Iran.

Won't happen, they just don't want to be part of an axis with Syria and Hezbollah, that's their right to determine. 

34 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

There is no problem that Iraq cares about its own national interest the main point is that Iraq doesn’t forget alliance with Iran & again by Arabic Nationalism & other issue becomes an ally of KSA against Iran.

Iraq will never be an ally of KSA. 

Brother, you need to understand that any party in the Middle East was an American ally at one moment in time.

Because the US have this rule to play with any side before overthrowing them.

Some get caught up in the game (and eventually lose), and some others just take advantage of situations to place their bets and move forwards.

That is the difference between Asad and Saddam.

2 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Yet you didn't even bring up Abadi once, when the whole purpose of the thread was about him. You brought up Saddam, lol

You're absolutely right lol sorry I got a bit too emotional about this :/.

Getting back to your original point.

Remember this quote and NEVER forget it, "In politics there are no friends only interests." Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with allying with a nation a if it serves your interest. Even Iran in 2001 allied with the US to attack and free Kabul from the Taliban.

In the Iran Iraq war the west gave Saddam Chemical and Biological weapons, but look what happened in 2003 he was considered public enemy number one. Now why I'm I bringing him up again? Its to show and prove my quote there are no friends in politics only interests. Who knows but God they might turn on Abadi tomorrow. Some times you're forced to work with your so called enemy. But in my opinion America in Iraq doesn't have bad intentions for they did free us from Saddam.

3 hours ago, Mishael said:

I hate that guy he destroyed Lebanon and my uncle and his family had to flee Syria due to his oppression and his son Bashar Al Assad killed some of my far fetched extended relatives. I hope Bashar Al Assad will follow his father and be judged by God. Al Assad family the tyrants of Sham.

You dont have to answer if you'd like but you're Christian I thought he protected minorities?

We shouldn't be against USA just because they're USA, we should be against the evil-doers and in most cases they are the evil doers. When they do something that aligns with the haq every one in a hundred times, theres no problem joining them in that but dont forget the other 99 times. Some people want to even go against USA in that 1 in every 100 time and that's just wrong. Remember they are like shaitan, evil but even Shaitan prayed to God. Wallah nobody can paint a good picture of USA if they're being honest but that doesn't mean we have to go agains't them for whatever they do and that is simply the common sense Hafiz Al-Assad followed. When it was right to, he made them allies and when they were practicing their evil methods, he was against them...

10 hours ago, Forgottenthinker said:

My Iraqi friend's uncle was tortured under Assad's rule he still has back damage from it to this day he was accused of being a Saddamist spy even though he was just a carpenter working in Lebanon and traveling back and forth between Iraq and Lebanon. 

I'm not saying that your uncle getting tortured is not true. May Allah give him sustenance and blessing but you are making it sound like he got a grudge against carpenters. It won't benefit him torturing a carpenter one bit, only negatives will come out of that. I genuinely believe its more likely that he thought he was a spy than him creating genocide on carpenters. I'm not trying to sound offensive and I'm sorry if I come off that way but try to think about it from my perspective. 

You should be ashamed for looking down on the divine Iranian Islamic Government and Hezbollah. The only group to defeat the rotten state of Israel, the government to overthrow the tyrannical Shah, the country wish has a stone cold stance agains't the countries of fitna. The great Lebanese soldiers who fought ISIS in Syria, Iraq and stopped them in Lebanon. With all due respect, what did you do to say shame on them?