Shi3i_jadeed

Muslim puritanical sexual ethics

Rate this topic

It seems to me that modern Muslims tend to have a puritanical victorian like view of sex. That it is just for procreation that sexual pleasure is almost an immoral thing. This attitude does not really seem to have any basis in the understanding of early Muslims nor in the attitude of the holy prophet (sawa) or the holy imams (as). I think this may be a reason why sunnis are so eager to jump on shia for the "immorality" of mut'a even though both traditions allow a man to have up to 4 wives and sleep with their concubines or shia complaining about some narrations in bukhari. Ironically many people who bemoan Muslims adopting liberal values have victorian sexual ethics. 

Some narrations from sunni and shia traditions to illustrate my point, I'm not commenting on the authenticity of these specific narrations as other narrations could be brought.

[sunni traditions] 

حَدَّثَنِي الشَّيْخُ الإِمَامُ أَبُو عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ النَّسَائِيُّ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنَا الْحُسَيْنُ بْنُ عِيسَى الْقُومَسِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَفَّانُ بْنُ مُسْلِمٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا سَلاَّمٌ أَبُو الْمُنْذِرِ، عَنْ ثَابِتٍ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ حُبِّبَ إِلَىَّ مِنَ الدُّنْيَا النِّسَاءُ وَالطِّيبُ وَجُعِلَ قُرَّةُ عَيْنِي فِي الصَّلاَةِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

It was narrated that Anas said: "The Messenger of Allah said: 'In this world, women and perfume have been made dear to me, and my comfort has been provided in prayer.'"

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الأَعْلَى بْنُ حَمَّادٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ زُرَيْعٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا سَعِيدٌ، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، أَنَّ أَنَسَ بْنَ مَالِكٍ، حَدَّثَهُمْ أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم كَانَ يَطُوفُ عَلَى نِسَائِهِ فِي اللَّيْلَةِ الْوَاحِدَةِ، وَلَهُ يَوْمَئِذٍ تِسْعُ نِسْوَةٍ‏.‏

Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet (ﷺ) used to visit all his wives in one night and he had nine wives at that time.

[shia traditions]

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن حفص بن البختري، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: قال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله): ما أحب من دنياكم إلا النساء والطيب

Abi Abdillah (عليه السلام) said that the messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله) said: "I do not love from your world expect women and perfume" 

علي بن إبراهيم بن هاشم، عن أبيه، عن محمد بن أبي عمير، عن إسحاق بن عمار قال: قال أبو عبد الله (عليه السلام): من أخلاق الأنبياء صلى الله عليهم حب النساء

Abu Abdillah (عليه السلام) said: "From the manners (akhlaq) of the prophets (صلى الله عليهم) is love of women" 

- محمد بن يحيى العطار عن عبد الله بن محمد، عن علي بن الحكم، عن أبان بن عثمان عن عمر بن يزيد، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: ما أظن رجلا يزداد في الايمان خيرا إلا ازداد حبا للنساء

Abu Abdillah (عليه السلام) said: "I do not think that goodness of faith increases expect that love for women increases"