thulfiqaar

Am I being to extreme?

Rate this question

Question

سلام عليكم،

Recently I have decided to make a few life changes I  read and learn more about the religion of Islam and more and more I stop doing these small sins such as listening to music, not speaking to women for none work related issues I started taking the religion more seriously and whenever my friends or family tell me about this change they think I’m weird or too extreme. My friends and family are very liberal and when they see the way I act they always complain. I don’t get, is what I’m doing wrong? Is following the religion 100% avoiding to sin(not only the big ones, aswell as the small ones where so many people Muslim people do). I know Allãh is the most merciful yet in my head stopping these small sins feel amazing it changes a lot in you but in other peoples eyes they think it’s extreme and you should be abit more liberal and relaxed.. what do you guys thing? 

15 answers to this question

Wa Alaykamu Asalam,

No, there is nothing too extreme in that, infact I went through a similiar thing trying to explain to my family why I believe in pluralism (to a certain extent including the deviated Muslim sects if they are doing it for the sake of Allah). May Allah grant you Jannah and keep you steadfast in your religion. Also I am one of the only people in my family who doesn't listen to music so I get where you're coming from. Trust me, just don't force your beliefs on people and its all good.

Remember not everything is haram! Try to do salat al layl, and do salawat! Allah will cleanse you for sure! 

May Allah reward you for trying, brother! This is a test from Allah, maybe you will show them the truth with your actions.

I think It was Imam sadiq who said this, but Idk.

Show your religion with actions not your tongue - Imam sadiq.

Edited by Hamodiii

@thulfiqaar

Salaam Alaykum brother

May Allah bless you. Allah looked at you. Otherwise, you wouldn't think of self building. Keep going and always watch yourself and what you do. These are a couple of suggestions from my own experience:

1. Praying at earliest time

2. Doing night prays

3. Avoid sin and be careful

4. Always have Wudu

5. Crying over Imam Hussain and Fatemeh Zahra

After following them for some time, you'll find pleasure in your Salaah. Recite bellow Zekr a lot everyday(while walking, driving, etc). My suggestion is reciting this Zekr in Sojdah after night prays when you are waiting for Fajr(remember you have to do those five steps for some time before)

About your family and friends: try avoiding contact with your friends that only talk about world and sins. You don't lose anything by doing that. It helps you a lot to have a pure heart.

For family, there is no way. You have to help them and sometimes laugh with them, joke around with them about HALAL things. Sometimes family members gather together and talk behind a person, you have to tell them and leave the area. Remember صله رحم is Wajeb. You need to gain some skills to handle this. May Allah bless you.

images.jpeg

Wa alaykum Asalam,

You are doing nothing wrong at all. Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the ones making comments. It is very obvious they envy you, brother.

Take for example the wives of the Prophet (s), such as Umm Salama (a), Maria al-Qubtiyah (a), and Khadija (a). These 3 were arguably the most pious and greatest wives of the prophet (s), and notice how these 3 faced the most oppression and envy from the other wives.

5 hours ago, thulfiqaar said:

what do you guys thing? 

May be you have truely fallen in love with Ahlul Bayth (A.S) :-). You are resisting things Alhul Bayth (A.S) told us and how can a momin even think of doing things disliked by Ahlul Bayth (A.S). MashAllah you are on right track. Stick to it and grasp deen slowly.

8 hours ago, thulfiqaar said:

وعليكم السلام

What you're doing is absolutely correct, I was at your place once but i disregarded the opinions of everyone and developed my commitment reaching a very satisfying state of mind and inner satisfaction. Be patient and after a while God will replace your current friends with good committed ones.

so, you stopped listening to music and stop wasting time on useless conversations and instead decided to self educate on a particular subject. This is deemed extreme? Are you sure that is the full story?. Sounds like a normal persons life to me.

although to tell someone not to follow the path of virtue or self improvement would it self be counted as extreme.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:45 AM, monad said:

so, you stopped listening to music and stop wasting time on useless conversations and instead decided to self educate on a particular subject. This is deemed extreme? Are you sure that is the full story?. Sounds like a normal persons life to me.

although to tell someone not to follow the path of virtue or self improvement would it self be counted as extreme.

You don't get it. Everyone around is Muslim, but when you stop doing social activities like you used to, and focus on Islam, the people begin to think you're weird.

The "normal persons" life is listening to music, hanging out with the opposite gender, etc.

Since he isn't doing that anymore and is getting closer to God, people are thinking he is the odd one out and isn't normal.

9 minutes ago, Hussaini624 said:

You don't get it. Everyone around is Muslim, but when you stop doing social activities like you used to, and focus on Islam, the people begin to think you're weird.

The "normal persons" life is listening to music, hanging out with the opposite gender, etc.

Since he isn't doing that anymore and is getting closer to God, people are thinking he is the odd one out and isn't normal.

No, I don;t think you get it.

If you hang around intellectuals, even they are non muslims, they have a life plan, everything they do is calculated. If they have fun, talk to a females, males, dogs, cats, , have friends, revise, it is all part of their grand plan, and if one does not fit in that plan, they are out.

They dont think you are weird, it is the person who has decided to opt out feels wierd, because now they have taken a different path but are missing or wanting their friends to join them in their current lonely state. Neither is the person getting closer to God, they are attempting to practice a way of life, hoping it will lead them to salvation.

When intellect increases, many things become boring. To fit in, dont shout it is haraam, say I have no interest in this, I need to study or do. It is called tact.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:04 PM, thulfiqaar said:

سلام عليكم،

Recently I have decided to make a few life changes I  read and learn more about the religion of Islam and more and more I stop doing these small sins such as listening to music, not speaking to women for none work related issues I started taking the religion more seriously and whenever my friends or family tell me about this change they think I’m weird or too extreme. My friends and family are very liberal and when they see the way I act they always complain. I don’t get, is what I’m doing wrong? Is following the religion 100% avoiding to sin(not only the big ones, aswell as the small ones where so many people Muslim people do). I know Allãh is the most merciful yet in my head stopping these small sins feel amazing it changes a lot in you but in other peoples eyes they think it’s extreme and you should be abit more liberal and relaxed.. what do you guys thing? 

4 hours ago, monad said:

No, I don;t think you get it.

If you hang around intellectuals, even they are non muslims, they have a life plan, everything they do is calculated. If they have fun, talk to a females, males, dogs, cats, , have friends, revise, it is all part of their grand plan, and if one does not fit in that plan, they are out.

They dont think you are weird, it is the person who has decided to opt out feels wierd, because now they have taken a different path but are missing or wanting their friends to join them in their current lonely state. Neither is the person getting closer to God, they are attempting to practice a way of life, hoping it will lead them to salvation.

When intellect increases, many things become boring. To fit in, dont shout it is haraam, say I have no interest in this, I need to study or do. It is called tact.

That's not the problem OP was trying to solve.

He feels great about it in fact, it's the people who are giving him trouble.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:04 AM, thulfiqaar said:

سلام عليكم،

Look at Sayyed Fadlullah’s fatwa On music the other fatwa’s about it are ridiculous (that’s in my opinion) 

Edited by Anonymous2144

7 hours ago, Anonymous2144 said:

Look at Sayyed Fadlullah’s fatwa On music the other fatwa’s about it are ridiculous (that’s in my opinion

music is an agent for dopamine release. The reason why it is haram or deemed as, its negative effects regarding addiction are greater then X. Anything that indicates a corpus amount of forced dopamine, like cocaine, has determental effects in the long run. Do thinker listen to music, perhaps the man of old did, to be inspired, like bach and co, but not as the humans of today. Early morning going to school or work, when the mind is fresh, they all have headphones with loud music, hyping their minds with garbage ,especially when the brain is in a fresh sponge state.

8 hours ago, Hussaini624 said:

it is a whine post.  Would they say the same if he adopted buddhism and claimed his way to mindfulness and enlightenment?. If yes, then they want him to follow their path. The rule of life is, carve your own path. That is what he has chosen, thus he should not be complaining, albiet being a child. This is the path of growing up, choosing between ones own path or that of others. It all comes with a price.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.