thuglife

Wild Salmon vs Farm Raised Salmon

1 hour ago, thuglife said:

Salaam

So I'm told that farm raised salmon is very bad for one's health. How true is this?

It's not very bad for health, as far as I know. Salmon farms are bad for the environment, and a bad environment is bad for health. However, farm raised salmon are fed a diet of mostly corn, and therefore have greater amount of inflammatory Omega six fatty acids, compared to wild salmon, whose diet it rooted in green plants and therefore are rich in anti-inflammatory Omega three. 

Farm raised salmon is still healthier than a lot of other foods, but wild caught is much healthier. 

Sockeye is amazing. I had a fat piece, and my feet and legs started getting warmer. Nice.

Farm raised is a lot juicier as the fat content is higher. But I just saw an interview of someone advocating for sockeye because it is the best meat on the planet.

Edited by thuglife

Salmon is great, but that Dr. Mercola has some pretty wild ideas, if you read through his publications.  Some of his teachings might be right, but certainly not all.  I'd not take his word as fact.

It true that Farm Salmon can be compromised. The environment they are brought up in are very constraint (being raised in a fish tank, basically), so there is opportunity for disease and parasite infections to spread quickly. There is also the diet concerns as raised above. they are fed whatever is cheapest rather than what is natural and im sure they have antibiotics pumped in too. then theirs the concerns over worker conditions. I guess I've been watching too many Netflix documentaries.

Farm raised salmon's diet is such that the natural color it would attain would be white, not pink which is mostly the color of wild salmon. 

To induce naturalness, farmers pigment the farm raised salmon with a chemical which makes them attain pink color, yes the poor farm raised salmon is fed so much chemical that its meat get pigmented pink. Just due to this, I won't go near farm raised anything.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:25 PM, M.IB said:

Wild all the way. 

I wish we could always eat wild, the cases of cancer among the general population is increasing because all of this strange things they put in the meat (antibiotics and hormonal feedings) nowadays to increase income and logistic performance.

Farmed salmon is good. Farming methods need to be kept in check to make sure we don't unnecessarily pollute the environment, that's all. And that is being done.

Farmed salmon is high in fat, which is excellent for health. I only eat farmed salmon, here in Australia it is farmed in the southern most state of Tasmania. Tastes delicious too.

5 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Do you think we should buy Alaska or Pacific in Europe, as well?

I don't know how the salmon is farmed in Europe. The two main issues I have with salmon farming in North America are the damage to the environment and the inferior feed that is given to the fish resulting in less nutritional value. It might be different there. 

On 2/7/2018 at 9:16 PM, Irfani313 said:

Farm raised salmon's diet is such that the natural color it would attain would be white, not pink which is mostly the color of wild salmon. 

To induce naturalness, farmers pigment the farm raised salmon with a chemical which makes them attain pink color, yes the poor farm raised salmon is fed so much chemical that its meat get pigmented pink. Just due to this, I won't go near farm raised anything.

So you avoid chicken, lamb, beef etc?

On 2/18/2018 at 4:48 AM, notme said:

I don't know how the salmon is farmed in Europe. The two main issues I have with salmon farming in North America are the damage to the environment and the inferior feed that is given to the fish resulting in less nutritional value. It might be different there. 

But do you hold beef and chicken to the same standard? Their feed is mostly corn, which is not their natural diet.

9 hours ago, thuglife said:

But do you hold beef and chicken to the same standard? Their feed is mostly corn, which is not their natural diet.

Ideally, yes. If grass fed halal beef or chicken is available, I am willing to pay more for it. I didn't say farm raised salmon is bad; I said it's less good. We sometimes eat Atlantic (farm raised) salmon, but my preference is Pacific (wild) because the diet of the animal is better. 

On 10/02/2018 at 9:56 AM, hasanhh said:

l am more comfortable with farmed raised rather than 'wild' because there is essentially no chance of plastic ingestion from the seas or chemical contamination.

But there is the issue of sea lice, I suppose.

Having said that if the lice have been eating salmon all their lives, then they have as much salmon as the salmon itself.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, thuglife said:

So you avoid chicken, lamb, beef etc?

I seldom eat beef. About once or twice a year.

I mostly eat farm raised goat (who you can't deceive into eating corn :p ) or free roaming chicken. Mostly expensive but the best meat you can get followed by a hunted deer or a free range camel which is few and far between anyway. 

I definitely agree with the users here who have mentioned Omega-6 and Omega -3.  Farmed salmon contains far more Omega-6, than wild salmon. Omega-6 is pro-inflamattory, whilst Omega-3 is anti-inflammatory. It isn't about getting 'enough' Omega 3, but the ratio between Omega-6 and Omega-3. So ingesting a food too high in Omega-6 can upset that. There are also other things to look at here, such as the difference in mercury between wild verses farmed salmon.

I definitely have been 'converted' into someone who never bought organic, into someone who now does not buy anything but that it is organic (other than meat , sadly;  Milk, fish, eggs all have to be organic and particularly on a moral level, those hens who are in cages stepping over their own waste makes for grim viewing and is cruelty. Go organic, go free-range. 

Sister Notme also mentioned grass-fed beef, there's another good one. 

Salmon generally is one of the best things you can eat, because it will also give you an excellent Vitamin D boost, something the majority of us are lacking in, and if we get the right levels of it , it can effect every area of our health, from our body to our mind. I'm one of those people that has been badly deficient at times and i'm taking this quite seriously. 

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

12 minutes ago, Irfani313 said:

I seldom eat beef. About once or twice a year.

I mostly eat farm raised goat (who you can't deceive into eating corn :p ) or free roaming chicken. Mostly expensive but the best meat you can get followed by a hunted deer or a free range camel which is few and far between anyway. 

Excellent brother. 

Health professional recommend to eat fish at least twice a week for your health. Eating red meat every day puts pressure on your body in the form of cholesterol and can cause inflammation, which many informed members know about.