Jump to content
حسين

Smoking Cigarette

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, حسين said:

Brother, does that mean smoking weed is not haram using your logic?

As I said, we cannot declare anything haram from our own choice. Things which intoxicate you can be declared as haram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Salsabeel said:

As I said, we cannot declare anything haram from our own choice. Things which intoxicate you can be declared as haram.

Ok, to before you said red Indians smoked and your uncle smokes. Allah probably has a reason for them to have lived so long, otherwise, they would have naturally died by their own hands. No one knows why things happen, but is it really a good idea to damage the body that Allah has given you? Is it worth smoking a cigarette if it's going to damage your teeth, making you breathing heavy, making your breath stink and making your sperm count lower? This is all harming my self, right? And self-harm is considered haram, correct? Also to add, not everyone will get immediately hurt by tar as it's similar to the gambling, some people will be lucky and smoke till they're 200! and some could die after their first cigarette. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, حسين said:

Ok, to before you said red Indians smoked and your uncle smokes. Allah probably has a reason for them to have lived so long, otherwise, they would have naturally died by their own hands

Allah (s.w.t) has reasons (hikmah) for everything and that even includes the death of a featus in the womb of mother.

"Surely Allah is He Whom is the knowledge of the hour, and He sends down rain and He knows what is in the wombs; and no one knows what he shall earn on the morrow; and no one knows in what land he shall die; surely Allah is Knowing, Aware." (31:34)
.

51 minutes ago, حسين said:

No one knows why things happen, but is it really a good idea to damage the body that Allah has given you? Is it worth smoking a cigarette if it's going to damage your teeth, making you breathing heavy, making your breath stink and making your sperm count lower? This is all harming my self, right? And self-harm is considered haram, correct? Also to add, not everyone will get immediately hurt by tar as it's similar to the gambling, some people will be lucky and smoke till they're 200! and some could die after their first cigarette. 

Look, no one will argue with you about the harms of tobacco smoking. Yes there are many harms, and there can be many benefits too which might be not yet known to us.

I can definitely argue with you when you are declaring it as haram because of two main reasons (a) you need to show me its nass from Quran (b) Any tradition from Prophet or Ahlul Bayt (asws) with which we can logically deduct its hurmat.

Western media not only propagates the harms of tobacco, following are the links where you can find the health benefits of tobacco:

https://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html

http://dengulenegl.dk/English/Nicotine.html

https://io9.gizmodo.com/here-are-the-ways-smoking-may-actually-be-good-for-yo-1721438933

https://drhealthbenefits.com/herbal/leaves/health-benefits-of-organic-tobacco

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/06/12/tobacco-forgotten-healing-plant/



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hamodiii said:

Well, I don't know, I know for certain that Alchohol is haram, and it gives pleasure according to some. I was thinking the same with ciggs.

 

are you a muqallid? if yes.. then its all out there in your marjas website... if no, you either go to howza and become a mushtahiid or marja3, or you find a marja3 and follow him. 

smoking weed is haram btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sayyed Al-Sistani on smoking;

Quote

353. Question: Medical literature states that smoking is the main cause for heart and cancer diseases, and it also shortens the life span of the smoker. So, what is the rule on smoking concerning (a) the beginner, (b) the compulsive smoker, and (c) the passive smoker? In the third case, the medical experts say that the smoke also harms a person sitting besides a smoker. What would be, the ruling if he considers passive smoking to be of considerable harm?

Answer:

a. Smoking becomes haram for the beginner if it entails serious harm, even at the future, regardless of whether that serious harm is certain, most probable, or just probable so much so that sensible people would demand caution. However, with the protection from serious harm (for example, by smoking less frequently), there is no problem in it.

b. If continuing to smoke will cause serious harm to the compulsive smoker —as explained above— it is necessary for him to refrain from it unless the harm in quitting is similar, greater than to the harm in continuing, or the great difficulty that he will face in quitting is such that it cannot be normally tolerated.

c. The same rule as explained in (a) for the beginner, applies in this case also.

https://www.al-islam.org/a-code-of-practice-for-muslims-in-the-west-ayatullah-sistani/medical-issues

 

 

Edited by Sumerian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hamodiii said:

Well, I don't know, I know for certain that Alchohol is haram, and it gives pleasure according to some. I was thinking the same with ciggs.

 

In Quran said it has benefits & harms but it’s harm is more than its benefit & you must lists its benefits & harms of smocking 

& compare them with each other

the benefits of marijuana :grin: (Islamic Pulse)

https://youtu.be/I9qpVLsmOSA

 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kirtc said:

are you a muqallid? if yes.. then its all out there in your marjas website... if no, you either go to howza and become a mushtahiid or marja3, or you find a marja3 and follow him. 

smoking weed is haram btw

I follow fadlallah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kirtc said:

then its not haram according to his office

Thanks, brother.

Can you give me the site? I don't find the content of Sayid fadlallah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hamodiii said:

Thanks, brother.

Can you give me the site? I don't find the content of Sayid fadlallah.

Im not sure they have a site. But alot of syd fadlallah followers around me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kirtc said:

then its not haram according to his office

Brother I don’t know who told you that but Sayed fadlallah does not allow his followers to smoke. 

Q: What is the ruling regarding smoking in the month of Ramadan, for as far as I know, anything that enters the body of he who is fasting breaks his fast, while you say that smoking does not break one's fast?

A: Not everything that enters the body of he who is fasting breaks his fast; but rather, it is restricted to the foods and drinks even if they were not of the usual kind, and it does not include smoking, for it is narrated that when Imam Ar-Rida (a.s.) was asked on the ruling concerning the smoke entering the mouth of the one fasting, he answered that it is permissible and acceptable.

However, it must be noted that the act of smoking, in itself, is forbidden due to the harm it leads to, according to the testimonies of experts; thus, it is impermissible for he who is fasting to smoke for the mentioned reason and for the fact that he would be profaning the sanctity of the blessed month of Ramadan.

http://english.bayynat.org/worship_rites/fastingQAFasting.htm#.WnS1m2JyaaM

 

Also not just Sayed Fadlallah, but majority of the maraji’ say it’s haram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Brother I don’t know who told you that but Sayed fadlallah does not allow his followers to smoke

Sorry, maybe Im wrong but I have never heard about this fatwa.. ill ask to make sure because this seems to be specifically about ramadan

Edited by kirtc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, حسين said:

Salaam to all who contributed to this topic. Thank you for this information, I don't think I could've found it all out without your help. I appreciate it! 

If a brother can't help his brother in need, then what is he? 

Al-hamdiruiallah shukr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, Hassan- said:

you tried to use the same argument in that topic, but your argument is weak.

:) I dont think so brother!

If you use the logic "harms are greater than benefits" then you have to include many other things in the list of haram, things which are known to cause & promote cancer in people. That include pesticides, fertilizers and also some medicines too.

I am not in position to challenge the fatwa of our great scholors, as I am not the student of fiqh. But it made me surprise that Late Ayatullah Khoi was a chain smoker. Did he committed the haram act or consumed the thing which is haram as per fiqh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

:) I dont think so brother!

If you use the logic "harms are greater than benefits" then you have to include many other things in the list of haram, things which are known to cause & promote cancer in people. That include pesticides, fertilizers and also some medicines too.

I am not in position to challenge the fatwa of our great scholors, as I am not the student of fiqh. But it made me surprise that Late Ayatullah Khoi was a chain smoker. Did he committed the haram act or consumed the thing which is haram as per fiqh?

Brother, you seem to be defending smoking very emotionally.

Do you smoke? Or more importantly, you keep saying there are benefits for smoking. There is not a single reference which states smoking is solely good for you. There are some benefits of smoking, but the cons outweigh the benefits by a mile. IF you're going to say smoking cigarettes is halal then I should also believe smoking marijuana is halal too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, حسين said:

Brother, you seem to be defending smoking very emotionally.

Look, smoking cannot decide how long you will live. My father smoke for 67 years, he is now in his 90's, my uncle still smoking, he is 89 & healthy. One of my uncle died at the age of 57, because of liver cancer. My brother in law died due to heart attack, he was a non-smoker.

Can you claim that non-smokers dont die with heart disease or lungs cancer?

What do you say about deaths or heart disease due to high cholesterol? What do you say about liver cancer caused by corps contaminated with pesticides and fertilizers? 

There are 1000's of examples with me. I can give you the names of chemicals & medicines which can cause severe damage to organs but people are using them.

I am not defending smoking, it is harmful but for me it is not that habit for which anyone can say as one killing himself, or doing suicide. 

1 hour ago, حسين said:

IF you're going to say smoking cigarettes is halal then I should also believe smoking marijuana is halal too. 

:) there is a nass in Quran about things which intoxicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Look, smoking cannot decide how long you will live. My father smoke for 67 years, he is now in his 90's, my uncle still smoking, he is 89 & healthy. One of my uncle died at the age of 57, because of liver cancer. My brother in law died due to heart attack, he was a non-smoker.

Can you claim that non-smokers dont die with heart disease or lungs cancer?

What do you say about deaths or heart disease due to high cholesterol? What do you say about liver cancer caused by corps contaminated with pesticides and fertilizers? 

There are 1000's of examples with me. I can give you the names of chemicals & medicines which can cause severe damage to organs but people are using them.

I am not defending smoking, it is harmful but for me it is not that habit for which anyone can say as one killing himself, or doing suicide. 

:) there is a nass in Quran about things which intoxicate.

Of course, like I said only Allah SWT knows when someone will die, but you are killing off your organs by smoking cigarettes. There's loads of proof towards it and you're refusing to understand that, I asked one question this thread. Is it haram and you're just non stop defending smoking cigarettes. 

I can type so much, but no matter what I say. What you have set in your head will stay that way, because it's your opinion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, حسين said:

I asked one question this thread. Is it haram and you're just non stop defending smoking cigarettes. 

:) The addiction of anything, except the love of Allah, His Apostle & Ahlul Bayt (asws), is not good. We can live a better life by quitting the addiction of tobacco smoking. 

This is what I believe, regarding whether it is haram or not. You can see the rulings of the religious authority you follow. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2018 at 12:35 PM, Salsabeel said:

If you use the logic "harms are greater than benefits" then you have to include many other things in the list of haram, things which are known to cause & promote cancer in people. That include pesticides, fertilizers and also some medicines too.

That was not my logic. The reason why smoking is haram is because it causes considerable harm to the body. Anything that causes considerable harm, is haram.

 

On 05/02/2018 at 12:35 PM, Salsabeel said:

I am not in position to challenge the fatwa of our great scholors, as I am not the student of fiqh. But it made me surprise that Late Ayatullah Khoi was a chain smoker. Did he committed the haram act or consumed the thing which is haram as per fiqh?

No he did not commit a haram act, because back in the 50s/60s they did not know or have the knowledge about how much harm smoking can do to someone. It was only back in the 80s/90s where we started to learn about the harm smoking can cause, and Sayed al Khoei was already passed away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Anything that causes considerable harm, is haram.

Do we have any such fatwa for fertilizers & pesticides?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4947579/

"The numerous negative health effects that have been associated with chemical pesticides include, among other effects, dermatological, gastrointestinal, neurological, carcinogenic, respiratory, reproductive, and endocrine effects (1, 2, 8, 10, 1430). Furthermore, high occupational, accidental, or intentional exposure to pesticides can result in hospitalization and death (1, 31)."

Edited by Salsabeel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×