حسين

Smoking Cigarette

Rate this topic

"And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good."(Surat Al-Baqarah,verse 195)

Salam,

Is smoking TECHNICALLY considered to be haram because you're decreasing your lifespan? I know only Allah SWAT knows when you will die, but Allah has given you your body and given you the ability to make choices regardless of what you do in life), and also you are harming your lungs when you are smoking because they contain many bad chemicals which could kill you once you've damaged your lungs enough.

Edited by حسين

1 hour ago, حسين said:

"And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good."(Surat Al-Baqarah,verse 195)

Salam,

Is smoking TECHNICALLY considered to be haram because you're decreasing your lifespan? I know only Allah SWAT knows when you will die, but Allah has given you your body and given you the ability to make choices regardless of what you do in life), and also you are harming your lungs when you are smoking because they contain many bad chemicals which could kill you once you've damaged your lungs enough.

It is indeed haram! Anything that can damage you is haram, and It doesn't just affect your lungs, It even affects your attitude, most people whom are addicted are easily triggered and can go crazy if they don't get a cigarette. Causing harm to people whom are innocent.

I heard there were fatwas about it, but I have no idea.

Edited by Hamodiii

2 minutes ago, Hamodiii said:

It is indeed haram! Anything that can damage you is haram, and It doesn't just affect your lungs, It even affects your attitude, most people whom are addicted are easily triggered and can go crazy if they don't get a cigarette. Causing harm to people whom are innocent.

Brother, I am new to this. If it's possible could you help guide me to where I could find these fatwas.  I'm really trying to get my mother to stop, it's been something I've been trying to do since I was a child. She always says "it doesn't matter if I smoke, Allah SWT knows when I'm going to die and me smoking won't change when I die."

3 minutes ago, حسين said:

Brother, I am new to this. If it's possible could you help guide me to where I could find these fatwas.  I'm really trying to get my mother to stop, it's been something I've been trying to do since I was a child. She always says "it doesn't matter if I smoke, Allah SWT knows when I'm going to die and me smoking won't change when I die."

Which marja do you follow?

Question: Medical literature states that smoking is the main cause for heart and cancer diseases, and it also shortens the life span of the smoker. So, what is the rule on smoking concerning (a) the beginner, (b) the compulsive smoker, and (c) the passive smoker? In the third case, the medical experts say that the smoke also harms a person sitting besides a smoker. What would be, the ruling if he considers passive smoking to be of considerable harm?Answer: Smoking becomes harãm for the beginner if it entails serious harm, even at the future, regardless of whether that serious harm is certain, most probable, or just probable so much so that sensible people would demand caution. However, with the protection from serious harm (for example, by smoking less frequently), there is no problem in it. If continuing to smoke will cause serious harm to the compulsive smoker —as explained above— it is necessary for him to refrain from it unless the harm in quitting is similar, greater than to the harm in continuing, or the great difficulty that he will face in quitting is such that it cannot be normally tolerated. The same rule as explained in (a) for the beginner, applies in this case also. 

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2060/

31 minutes ago, Hamodiii said:

It is indeed haram! Anything that can damage you is haram,

Fact is that the system which works within us, also damages us. So what is you fatwa about that? The process of aging, apoptosis or suicide at cellular level, infectious diseases etc.
What you say about smoke (carbon monoxide) from vehicles, from coal power plants, radiations from cellphones & other electronic items? What do you say about use of fertilizers in agriculture corps?

You must have a very long list of haram items!

2 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Fact is that the system which works within us, also damages us. So what is you fatwa about that? The process of aging, apoptosis or suicide at cellular level, infectious diseases etc.
What you say about smoke (carbon monoxide) from vehicles, from coal power plants, radiations from cellphones & other electronic items? What do you say about use of fertilizers in agriculture corps?

You must have a very long list of haram items!

I gave you a fatwa from sistani? I am not the one speaking, they are.

Maybe that sentence was a bit bold, I may take it back, cause I am not the one who decides if it is haram or not.

Edited by Hamodiii

Just now, Salsabeel said:

I have highlighted the logic you have used

Yeah, I didn't read your quote propely, my mistake! Once again I am in wrong, but It doesn't deny the fatwa about cigg being haram.

I apologize!

I have highlighted the logic you have used

Salsabeel, 

the quote: "And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good."(Surat Al-Baqarah,verse 195)

So technically speaking I'm not intentionally breathing in carbon monoxide from cars. I'm only doing it because other people are inconsiderate enough to not drive electric cars. I'm not physically going up to every car and breathing in that fresh monoxide, so it's not within my hands. But if I can avoid it and I'm refusing to, then that is with my own hands, so it would be considered haram. 

I can't stop aging, I'm not powerful, Allah SWT is. He could stop me from aging, but that's the process of life to death. The test.

2 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Can you share with us that fatwa of Ayatullah Sistani in which he has declared smoking as "haram"?

Question: Medical literature states that smoking is the main cause for heart and cancer diseases, and it also shortens the life span of the smoker. So, what is the rule on smoking concerning (a) the beginner, (b) the compulsive smoker, and (c) the passive smoker? In the third case, the medical experts say that the smoke also harms a person sitting besides a smoker. What would be, the ruling if he considers passive smoking to be of considerable harm?Answer: Smoking becomes harãm for the beginner if it entails serious harm, even at the future, regardless of whether that serious harm is certain, most probable, or just probable so much so that sensible people would demand caution. However, with the protection from serious harm (for example, by smoking less frequently), there is no problem in it. If continuing to smoke will cause serious harm to the compulsive smoker —as explained above— it is necessary for him to refrain from it unless the harm in quitting is similar, greater than to the harm in continuing, or the great difficulty that he will face in quitting is such that it cannot be normally tolerated. The same rule as explained in (a) for the beginner, applies in this case also. 

Heavy smokers that can damage.

Edited by Hamodiii

1 minute ago, حسين said:

So technically speaking I'm not intentionally breathing in carbon monoxide from cars.

But we are "intentionally" making those things which emits gases which can harm human beings. We are making "missiles", nuclear weapons, WMD's etc.
We are manufacturing fertilizers, which are far more dangerous than cigarette smoking. Insecticides, pesticides etc.

2 minutes ago, حسين said:

I can't stop aging,

:) 

But we are "intentionally" making those things which emits gases which can harm human beings. We are making "missiles", nuclear weapons, WMD's etc.
We are manufacturing fertilizers, which are far more dangerous than cigarette smoking. Insecticides, pesticides etc.

:) 

Hey hey don't make this a 'we' thing, if you're making missiles and nuclear weapons and WMD's that's you bro. I'm not even close to even making a stink bomb. I grow my plants naturally, I put the seeds in the soil out side, dash some water on them and hopefully, enough sun lets them grow. If they don't grow, they don't grow. 

Again, I'm being specific, and I'm pretty sure the sura  I quoted is specific to what EACH PERSON does. Allah only judges you on the things you did, not what some other people are doing. Each sin for the specific person.

I don't even drive, I hope to move to Lebanon and get a horse.

Edited by حسين

What is the standard of "HEAVY" here? 2 packets per day or more, 1 packet per day or more, I cigarette per day or more?

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-concerns/tobacco/research/tobacco-use-statistics/terminology.html

Heavy smoker: a smoker who reports consuming 20 cigarettes or more per day.

What is the standard of "HEAVY" here? 2 packets per day or more, 1 packet per day or more, I cigarette per day or more?

Ehhh, do you need everything explained?  Surely you know the amount that can damage you?

1 hour ago, Hamodiii said:

no it isnt.. 

4 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

My uncle smoke 3 packets a day and he is 89 years old, perfectly fine & fit.

I often wonder that how these medical research are not applicable on him :D

He is blessed by Allah, mashallah.

3 minutes ago, Hamodiii said:

Ehhh, do you need everything explained?

Yes sure, because Ayatullah Sistani is not a research scientist. Does anyone told you the benefits of smoking tobacco? Red Indians were so brave & strong people & had long life span. They used to smoke tobacco and they use tobacco as medicine as well.

And the main thing is that we cannot make a thing haram from our own choice. One should exercise precaution on that matter.

And in last, I don't know any such fatwa of Ayatullah Sistani where he is declaring smoking as haram.

Yes sure, because Ayatullah Sistani is not a research scientist. Does anyone told you the benefits of smoking tobacco? Red Indians were so brave & strong people & had long life span. They used to smoke tobacco and they use tobacco as medicine as well.

And the main thing is that we cannot make a thing haram from our own choice. One should exercise precaution on that matter.

And in last, I don't know any such fatwa of Ayatullah Sistani where he is declaring smoking as haram.

Brother, does that mean smoking weed is not haram using your logic? Not a single human has died from smoking weed. And it has shown scientific evidence that it helps the human body. As well as, curing some diseases such as anorexia. 

Edited by حسين

Does anyone told you the benefits of smoking tobacco

Well, I don't know, I know for certain that Alchohol is haram, and it gives pleasure according to some. I was thinking the same with ciggs.