MuslimahAK

Naming the Oppressors

Rate this topic

Bismillah ir Arahman ir Rahim

Salamu Alaikum!

Before I get into my question, I'd like to note ahead of time, that I mostly only talk about Islam with my relatives. I'm not in the position to be a caller to Islam. And I don't feel comfortable calling Muslims where I love as there are few Shi'a and the few muslims who know that there are now Shi'a, are putting out anti-shi'a khutbahs, even though we are so few in numbers. 

anyways. 

I noticed that there are controversies around this subject. Can we name the oppressors? Why or why not? What is the middle ground on this subject?

Shukran. 

w/Salaam

Be diplomatic, discuss things and points of disagreements academically in a civil manner, with enough intelligence to firmly put across a point without having to resort to abuse the revered symbols of others. Some contexts may call for a better choice of words than others. 

Salam if you are mentioning Imam Ali (as) he never named oppressor names on his children Abubakr was a title that given by Umar to one of his sons & about name of Uthman Imam Ali (as) said that he put this name on his son because the other companion of Prophet (pbu) & you can find names as Yazid amomng other companions of other Imams (as) but through centuries it is not used by Shia muslims  in other side name of Fatima is rare between Sunnis because they believe that girls with that name dont have long life that roots to fabrication of their Hadith books about Martyrdom of Lady Fatima (as) that changed it to death by Illness. 

My relatives have been asking me, do you know who killed the Prophet's grandson? Why did they do that to the Prophet's (saws) daughter (as)? When will the Mahdi come? He should come now (as). 

I'm not talking about giving these names to kids. I'm talking about putting a face to the crime, so to speak. 

10 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

Bismillah ir Arahman ir Rahim

Salamu Alaikum!

Before I get into my question, I'd like to note ahead of time, that I mostly only talk about Islam with my relatives. I'm not in the position to be a caller to Islam. And I don't feel comfortable calling Muslims where I love as there are few Shi'a and the few muslims who know that there are now Shi'a, are putting out anti-shi'a khutbahs, even though we are so few in numbers. 

anyways. 

I noticed that there are controversies around this subject. Can we name the oppressors? Why or why not? What is the middle ground on this subject?

Shukran. 

Alaikis Salaam Sister,

Your question is legit and you need to tackle things according to the situation. Taqaiyyah (dissimulation) is allowed and you have to practice it at times of danger but remember that we all have certain responsibilities on our shoulder. If your relatives are asking something and you feel that answering them would not cause fitnah or enrage then than answer them in a civil manner. The best way to answer them is show proofs from their own books.

However, there's other side too. Since Tabarrah is a wajib act and every member of Holy Household has done tabaraah, you also have to do that. You can take the names of the oppressors during your prayers in the Qunut or after every wajib prayers. The oppression that enemies of Ahlulbait (ams) has done should be explained/discussed when among Shia brethren.

There is a time and place for everything.

9 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

So ........ I should not tell my family about the Mahdi coming (as) or the tribulations of Fatimah (as)?

Salam it depends on your family we must express it with moderate manner & respecting the other ideas but don’t make it a hard talk that cauces heavy adebtes in any situation expect dishonoring Ahlulbayt (as) we must not cut ties with our family.

1 hour ago, MuslimahAK said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I've been Muslim now for 14 years, Shi'a for 1 year. 

We've already gone through the rough spots with my family members. 

I mean its good to talk with them but try to avoid rough spots as much as possible as it Ahlulbayt (as) if you just deliver our message to other people they will accept shia Islam but they always do it with humbleness & kindness. 

1.) I should not tell my family about the Mahdi coming (as)
2.) or the tribulations of Fatimah (as)?

1) Do you know when he (a.s) is coming? You can inform them the news you may have about him & the chain of ahadith from Prophet Muhammad & his pure progeny (peace & blessings of Allah be upon them).

2) Ahhh, remember her everyday, if you can. Remember the tribulations she faced, curse her enemies and her killers. About naming her killers, I can only advise you to follow the seerat of our Imams (asws) and the guidelines given by them. 

So ........ I should not tell my family about the Mahdi coming (as) or the tribulations of Fatimah (as)?

About Imam Mahdi's (atfs) return, you can certainly talk to them and explain how he will establish a just government when the world would be filled with oppression and tyranny. You can do little research and show them from their books also. 

About Janabe Zehra's (s.a.), you should tell them what befell her and who was responsible citing sunni references (because obviously they won't be accepting anything from shia sources) provided you are sure they won't be getting infuriated and you're safe. 

My family is mostly Christian or atheistic. My grandma wants to meet the Mahdi, (as) and wishes he'd come right now. 

My aunt likes the story of Zainab not being broken (in spirit) by Yazid

So I'm not sure what you mean about being accepted. When I told them that we were Shi'a now, they liked that Shi'a Islam is much more moderate than Salafi Islam was, or how it was here where I live. 

Were you guys thinking they were Sunni? I"m sorry if I gave that impression 

31 minutes ago, MuslimahAK said:

Were you guys thinking they were Sunni?

Yes. 

If they are Christian/non-muslim, your job is easier. You have ample chance of tableegh (propagation) of true Islam. There's definitely great reward if you bring even one person to Sirat e Mustaqeem (The straight path). 

55 minutes ago, MuslimahAK said:

My grandma wants to meet the Mahdi, (as) and wishes he'd come right now. 

AYT Behjat (ra) in his last speeches said that even elders of you be hopeful to see Imam Mahdi (aj) but pray as you can it doesn’t postpones 

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/3827

Edited by Ashvazdanghe