alidu78

About compulsory hijab issue

Rate this topic

Salam aleykoum,

There is a current issue among muslims and even non muslims about the obligation of not of the hijab. During a long time i was saying and thinking that we must "not force" muslim women to wear hijab and that must be "a choice".

However is it really a good way to think this issue ? Is it so wrong that Iran force this ?

I personnaly think a lot about this issue and finally think Iran did a good choice with his dressing code.

Because we must never forget one point. Hijab is actually not an "accessory", it is supposed to be the minimum norm of a muslim woman so now if we say that hijab is in fact not an obligation what should be the norm ? western norm ? Because in fact many western people look to be proud to say that in Iran women dont have "freedom to choose what they could wear or not" while in west they supposely could. But is it the reality ? In fact no even in western world there are norms and limits. For exemple women cant walk totally nude in cities or have nothing for not show their breasts while in some culture it is acceptable and normal.

So yeah hijab is not only supposed to be an obligation toward the faith but in fact muslim countries are also supposed to have women who wear hijab as a minimum and we must not consider the "western norm" as the "universal norm" because this is not true and we have our own culture and vision of how we must wear.

Also we must not think hear that i am someone who say "Women must do it and men can do what they want without problems" because this not what i think, muslim men must also be wearing correctly (not in short or for exemple without tshirt).

I felt necessity to do this post because of non muslims saying that we "oppress women" by saying that according to law muslim women are obligated to wear hijab and also for muslims brothers saying that we must not force muslim women to wear hijab and Iran is doing wrong by doing that.

I 100% agree on this, the hijab with no doubt is compulsory

However, I have realised that there are some Muslim girls who are non hijabis tend to be wayy better than ones who do wear hijab, like you can have a hijabi who is in a haram relationship and commits zina.

I also think people shouldn't judge a Muslim women as to whether she wears a scarf or not, because even if she does get sins for not wearing it, that was her decision, and she will be the one questioned by Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى as to why she didn't choose to wear the hijab.

But I also believe that it's best to teach those who are non hijabis about the hijab and the importance of it, so that we may get rewards and so will they get the rewards for listening and trying hard.

Iran is a strong country; and from an Islamic perspective, the rulings for women being covered whether they're Muslim or not is a good thing, it just shows that their society is free from rape, sexual harrasment and abuse.

Fee amanillah

Edited by 3wliya_maryam

Salaam Alaykum

I am Iranian. Most people in Iran want to have Islamic country, and you can see that in celebrating Islamic revolution day every year. A lot of people from all over the country come to streets that day and support Islamic country. Now if you think government should ignore all of these people and act according to the will of some people who believe Hijab is not necessary, then it is against democracy. Democracy says majority of people have right to control their country, and majority of Iranians want to have Islamic country(Although it has a lot of problems currently, but they know if they lose Islamic country, it brings more problems). When people want to have Islamic country, Hijab will become a law.

It is true that Iran police officers confront women who do not wear according to Sharia law, but people also don't like it. I was one of those people who used to do Amr Marouf and Nahye Monkar. People don't like see women who wear inappropriate clothes. I see some of my friends used to warn women about this. Some of them move their head to not look at them. I look down on earth because I don't want to pollute my eyes by watching women who are partially naked or wear tight clothes.

Freedom has boundaries. Freedom doesn't mean we can do anything we want. Allah who gave us freedom and put boundaries on how we should appear in society and in front of non-mahram. WOMEN WHO WEAR HIJAB ARE NOT RESTRICTED. THEY KNOW THEIR VALUE. THEY SAVE THEMSELVES FOR THEIR HUSBAND NOT PERVERT EYES ON STREETS. Hijab is protection, and tbh women are more beautiful in Hijab. I am personally not attracted to women who are partially naked, don't wear Hijab, etc. I know some pious Mumin men who pray for Hijabi women in west and east. Why do some women think Hijabis are oppressed? They are not at all. Why do some women want to please Allah and men at the same time? How is it possible? Women in west are not free at all. Free woman is my mum that covers herself from pervert eyes in society and I kissed her feet everyday when I was back in Iran. Hijabi women are free. They are not afraid of coming to society with headscarf. They are not looking for non-mahram men compliment. They don't have this PRESSURE on themselves to uncover in order to get compliment. They are free. They have confidence. Most women who don't wear Hijab are FORCED to do that because they are afraid of other people comments. Those women who put Hijab aside because of their fear are restricted. They created a cage in their mind that FORCED them to put Hijab aside. Otherwise, people talk behind them, make fun of them, look at them strangely, etc. These women are not free. They restricted themselves in the cage that they built for themselves.

There are some other women who put Hijab aside to capture attention of nonmahram men. These women are not free too. They think if they get compliment from other men, they gain confidence. They ask for confidence from other people. CONFIDENCE IS SOMETHING THAT YOU NEED TO FIND IT IN YOURSELF. That confidence depends on other people not you. They are also restricted in a cage that fades away as they get older and older because they loose their beauty.

My mother is 55 years old now, and she almost lost all her beauty, but I still love her so much. She still wears chador when she goes out. She still has confidence and freedom on her body.

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover

I am so fed up of this discussion. Why does everyone only talk about hijab? It's such a small issue. What is the biggest disadvantage for women due to hijab? A little inconvenience, low confidence, few insults and that's it? There are many hijabis who live like celebrities. They have hundreds of fans, they have affairs, they do everything that goes against the purpose of hijab, so why don't non-hijabis just wear hijab and do all the things hijabis are doing? There are much bigger issues. Women are forced into marriages, they have become baby producing machines, they are stuck in abusive marriages. These are much bigger issues and they affect lives of women all over the world. In Iran where people are protesting, I believe they are not protesting about hijab. These protests are happening in Mashhad, where all religious people live. They are protesting due to economic difficulties. And honestly, I think their protests are genuine. I can expect that Iranian government probably gives all money to Hezbollah. And if those alcohol drinking bikini wearing rich kids on Instagram are praising the regime, then I think those religious poor Iranians have justified reasons to protest. I honestly don't understand women: they don't say a word about bigger injustices, give all kinds of sacrifices and protest ONLY about hijab. If I am given 2 options: live in an abusive marriage OR wear chador/ hide my face all my life, I would choose the second option and live happily ever after. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, alidu78 said:

Salam aleykoum,

There is a current issue among muslims and even non muslims about the obligation of not of the hijab. During a long time i was saying and thinking that we must "not force" muslim women to wear hijab and that must be "a choice".

However is it really a good way to think this issue ? Is it so wrong that Iran force this ?

I personnaly think a lot about this issue and finally think Iran did a good choice with his dressing code.

Because we must never forget one point. Hijab is actually not an "accessory", it is supposed to be the minimum norm of a muslim woman so now if we say that hijab is in fact not an obligation what should be the norm ? western norm ? Because in fact many western people look to be proud to say that in Iran women dont have "freedom to choose what they could wear or not" while in west they supposely could. But is it the reality ? In fact no even in western world there are norms and limits. For exemple women cant walk totally nude in cities or have nothing for not show their breasts while in some culture it is acceptable and normal.

So yeah hijab is not only supposed to be an obligation toward the faith but in fact muslim countries are also supposed to have women who wear hijab as a minimum and we must not consider the "western norm" as the "universal norm" because this is not true and we have our own culture and vision of how we must wear.

Also we must not think hear that i am someone who say "Women must do it and men can do what they want without problems" because this not what i think, muslim men must also be wearing correctly (not in short or for exemple without tshirt).

I felt necessity to do this post because of non muslims saying that we "oppress women" by saying that according to law muslim women are obligated to wear hijab and also for muslims brothers saying that we must not force muslim women to wear hijab and Iran is doing wrong by doing that.

Also, the Western norm, unlike the Islamic norm is a moving target. So if you teach your children to go by the 'Western norm' that norm may be different when they become adults, as so many unfortunate muslim parents here in the US have found out

They teach their kids to just do what everyone else is doing and go along with the crowd. Then the crowd changes and does something that is truly terrible in their eyes and they regret ever telling their kids that, but then it's too late.

I grew up in the US as did my parents(and grandparents, great grandparents, etc). When my mom was a girl in the 1960's, skirts were not allowed above the knees, and shirts above the elbows. Women didn't generally show anything below the neck and when they went to the beach, they wore one piece swim suits that covered just about everything. If women dated, they called it 'going steady', they maybe kissed and held hands with their boyfriend. Anything else before marriage was strictly prohibited, not just by the church but by society in general. Divorce was almost non existent. That was the 'crowd' 50 years ago (approx). BTW, my parents grew up in California (Los Angeles), known as one of the most liberal states in the US. 

All of you see what the 'crowd' is now. So the moral of the story is, if you follow the crowd, don't be surprised if they lead you off a cliff. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

2 hours ago, alidu78 said:

@AmirAlmuminin Lover what do you think about the recent actions of some Iranian women rejecting hijabs on Iranian streets ? 

Those women disrespect the idea and opinion of majority of Iranians. According to a survey done by University of Maryland recently about Iran, more than 90 percent supported Islamic Republic of Iran. 54 percent supported strongly. Iranians love islam and they want islamic rules. Those women disrespect idea of majority of Iranians. They want to tell them that my phylosophy is more important than yours. My vote worth more than your vote.

This is wrong orientation. Everyone is equal, and minorities MUST submit to majority decision. Once people want Islamic country, Hijab becomes a law. All people must submit to the law.

In above, I reasoned from democracy point of view. Islamically, they are absolutely wrong. I personally never forgive them. May Allah guide those minorities.

No matter you have a secular idea or islamic one, those few women who does such a disgusting actions, are wrong.

On 2018-01-27 at 11:12 AM, alidu78 said:

Salam aleykoum,

Firstly, Allah gave everyone freewill and the choice to live his or her lives as they choose. We all have many choices in this life on earth and waking up in the morning and deciding what to wear is yet another one of those choices. Not giving women their own choice is taking away their liberty and freedom that Allah bestowed upon us. If you must make a Law to force all women to wear hijab you remove their choice to decide for themselves and it becomes and obligation not out of love for Allah. As we know this life is a test from Allah to see if we stay on the correct path.

It is Oppressing to force someone to do something and remove their option to choose for themselves, that is the issue. The Holy Quran is a beautiful book and a guide to base your life on. My point is its a Guide, to happiness, to heaven, to a proper and stable family with values and morals. It is not a Do or Die book of Laws and regulations because as i previously stated, Allah gave us all freewill. 

You want to support and preserve your Cultural rights and traditions, thats great. So do the  westerners, they to have their own culture and traditions. Reflect on:

O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one's] faith. And whoever does not repent - then it is those who are the wrongdoers. [Qur'an 49:11]

We as muslims need to set an example and do our best to follow the words sent to us by Allah. We should not judge others or we become the wrongdoers. Nor do any of us have a right to ridicule anyone for their own choice in life.

On 2018-01-27 at 12:21 PM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Freedom has boundaries. Freedom doesn't mean we can do anything we want. Allah who gave us freedom and put boundaries on how we should appear in society and in front of non-mahram. WOMEN WHO WEAR HIJAB ARE NOT RESTRICTED. THEY KNOW THEIR VALUE. THEY SAVE THEMSELVES FOR THEIR HUSBAND NOT PERVERT EYES ON STREETS. Hijab is protection, and tbh women are more beautiful in Hijab.

Hijab is a beautiful thing brother, but let it be known that women who don't wear hijab also know they are valuable, they also save themselves for their husbands. Men are supposed to lower their gaze, therefore  there should be no perverts on the streets. Why not teach your brothers how to respect women and follow the words of Allah, and teach women how being able to make their own choice to wear hijab is a far greater gift to Allah than making it mandatory. if not than there should be a law enforced that if men do not lower their gaze there will be a punishment since you think Laws are the solution when it comes down to a persons own choice on how they wish to live with the freedom Allah gave us.

2 hours ago, shouzan said:

We all have many choices in this life on earth and waking up in the morning and deciding what to wear is yet another one of those choices. Not giving women their own choice is taking away their liberty and freedom that Allah bestowed upon us.

What if a woman wakes one morning and makes the choice that she will wear a bikini to work?

12 minutes ago, starlight said:

What if a woman wakes one morning and makes the choice that she will wear a bikini to work?

No, that is work, It completely different story! They need to dress good, but in society is allowed to go butt naked, cause no one can see you there, for sure! Not single eye is looking strangely, there will be just like 50 people around you... but that is... Invalid?

5 hours ago, Mishael said:

Ok I understood the culture part but one must understand not all cultures exactly fit into the modern world or are moral. If Arabs as you say, used to sacrifice baby girls then comes and says he should still be able to bury girls in the ground because it's his culture would you let him? But if we're going to talk about something like women covering which is something pretty simple what's the purpose of forcing a women to wear Hijab if she's insisting on not wearing one wouldn't that make her hate Islam more? Norms are not always good a norm might be as you say burying girls or in the West not wearing cloths as we see today or in Iran forcing women to cover up none of these norms are good. Not wearing cloths is bad yet does that make it right to force someone to cover up completely as I was taught at a young age stay on the Middle path don't go left or right and don't be naked and don't force women to wear Hijab. I'm not saying to go by the indecent modern western norms but don't go forcing women to cover up either neiither culture or example is good and both are bad in different ways.

What is exactly modern world? For us Islam is eternal and don't need to adapt to any "pseudo modernization" which in fact inconsciously is westernization.

Also there is a huge difference between killing someone and clothes so your argument is totally stupid. 

The thing is that we must educate people to resist to this brainwashing liberal western ideology which try to suppress all other traditions in particular Islamic traditions here and try to convince us that western norms must be the universal norm which is not true. Also some feminist like femme begin to say that if women want to be topples they could do? Where all this nonsense is going to stop? 

And again here you don't realize that in fact you say "we must here not force" and after you say "but we must not wear like that or like that" so basically yourself you have your own norms that you consider to be a limit so what limit are we suppose to accept? The fact is that for us men and women have norms to respect and we must educate them to understand that. 

1 hour ago, starlight said:

Again it is still her choice, women are neither stupid or children, they are grown enough to go to university, work, pay bills, marry, have and raise children and yes even dress themselves how they choose. if she wants to go out in a bikini as a muslim woman, still her won choice to make and Allah will have his own punishment for her. It is not up to us to judge nor is it up to us to make Laws to force women into something they should already be doing to please Allah. People have freewill.

@shouzan for you when parents learn children to wear like they want you consider that oppression? Is it oppression when in West we say to people you can't go outside your house in the same way amérindians go outside their houses? 

3 hours ago, shouzan said:

Hijab is a beautiful thing brother, but let it be known that women who don't wear hijab also know they are valuable, they also save themselves for their husbands. Men are supposed to lower their gaze, therefore  there should be no perverts on the streets. Why not teach your brothers how to respect women and follow the words of Allah, and teach women how being able to make their own choice to wear hijab is a far greater gift to Allah than making it mandatory. if not than there should be a law enforced that if men do not lower their gaze there will be a punishment since you think Laws are the solution when it comes down to a persons own choice on how they wish to live with the freedom Allah gave us.

This is a very good thing and this is exactly what we do. However we know very well that women will always face more risk at the street than men that us just à fact. 

2 hours ago, alidu78 said:

This is a very good thing and this is exactly what we do. However we know very well that women will always face more risk at the street than men that us just à fact. 

Let us look at Pakistan, it is ruled by Islamic law yet women and young children keep going missing and are later found raped and murders. A piece of cloth can not protect a woman from men who are sick and have intentions for horrible things. I think all women face a great risk everyday but we can not sit inside all day afraid. We must begin educating young men and boys how to properly respect and treat women. We are your sisters, daughters, wives and mothers. Did Allah not create women from a mans rib? Not a foot to be beneath, not a head to be above, but a rib to be side by side and equal in all ways. 

3 hours ago, Mishael said:

Westernization means to follow all western culture means wear mini skirts and such. Islamic traditions like it or not are oppressive if a women doesn't want to wear a Hijab why should you force her. I'm saying you can force people to dress modestly possibly due to basic decency but you can't force Burka on someone because Burka which was at the time used to cover sex slaves. Yet you expect people to follow your dress codes yet talk about westernization but yet talk about Islamization.

Again here it is just only your opinion and you refuse contradiction if after all they want to wear a Burka why not even if in some parts of the world there had been some different meanings? 

Also your kind of arguments like "if they don't like why force them?". With this I kind of logic we could also say "if they don't want to be heterosexual why not?" "if they want to commit blasphemy why not?" "if they want to commit fornication why not?" "if they want to be alcoholic why not?" etc etc. It is because of this kind of relativism and stupid liberalism than  nowadays most Christian countries totally lose their religious and moral values. Also you never answered my question consisting to say if we must not force clothes what should be limit exactly? Nowadays in West we see so many people wearing without any modesty and this is going even worst you really want that? And this is not only in West I saw that also among Christians in Lebanon. 

I think also that now I will begin to stop to talk with you because you are typically the kind of person who don't want to debate but want to have reason so good night dude. 

3 hours ago, Mishael said:

Westernization means to follow all western culture means wear mini skirts and such. Islamic traditions like it or not are oppressive if a women doesn't want to wear a Hijab why should you force her. I'm saying you can force people to dress modestly possibly due to basic decency but you can't force Burka on someone because Burka which was at the time used to cover sex slaves. Yet you expect people to follow your dress codes yet talk about westernization but yet talk about Islamization.

Again here it is just only your opinion and you refuse contradiction if after all they want to wear a Burka why not even if in some parts of the world there had been some different meanings? 

Also your kind of arguments like "if they don't like why force them?". With this I kind of logic we could also say "if they don't want to be heterosexual why not?" "if they want to commit blasphemy why not?" "if they want to commit fornication why not?" "if they want to be alcoholic why not?" etc etc. It is because of this kind of relativism and stupid liberalism than  nowadays most Christian countries totally lose their religious and moral values. Also you never answered my question consisting to say if we must not force clothes what should be limit exactly? Nowadays in West we see so many people wearing without any modesty and this is going even worst you really want that? And this is not only in West I saw that also among Christians in Lebanon. 

I think also that now I will begin to stop to talk with you because you are typically the kind of person who don't want to debate but want to have reason so good night dude. 

Hijab is compulsory in Iran, also in other countries. This does not contradict the religion. 

The question is how to enforce this law. 

Definitely Taliban style enforcement (hitting or beating women who don't wear hijab) is not part of the religion. 

I've never been to Iran (hope to go soon) so I don't know exactly how the enforce the law. I've heard they are not as strict now in enforcement of this law. 

12 hours ago, shouzan said:

Again it is still her choice, women are neither stupid or children, they are grown enough to go to university, work, pay bills, marry, have and raise children and yes even dress themselves how they choose. if she wants to go out in a bikini as a muslim woman, still her won choice to make and Allah will have his own punishment for her. It is not up to us to judge nor is it up to us to make Laws to force women into something they should already be doing to please Allah. People have freewill.

Is it common to see women turning up at work wearing swimsuits. No? Why? because that's not office appropriate dress as dictated by the codes and standards of the society. My point here was that we are willing to conform to societal standards for our careers and to be just generally accepted but we will not want to comply with Allah's laws.

Lawyer wearing suits to work everyday?yes. Doctors wearing white coats?why not. Cousin told everyone to wear green to her pre wedding party? Of course, she is my favourite cousin,don't want to disappoint her.

Wear a hijab....ooh it's my life,you can't tell me what to wear...stop judging me if I decide not to. 

12 hours ago, Mishael said:

I'm saying you can force people to dress modestly possibly due to basic decency

Which code are you going to follow to decide what's 'basic decency'? Some people might view a above the knee skirt  worn with a full sleeved blouse as decent. Others might think skinny jeans and tight tees are decent because you are covered,right?  And why even force for sake of decency if forcing people to dress a certain way is wrong per se?