Amini

Why's everyone performing wudu differently?

Rate this topic

Hey guys!

So, I've been driving myself nuts over the correct way of performing wudu. I've seen tons of videos on YouTube on how to perform Shia wudu but it seems like everyone's doing it slightly differently from each other which is making me super confused and unsure over what's actually correct and not.

I've always done it the way my parents taught me which is like this:

- Wash face from hairline and down twice.

- pour water in my right hand, pour that water into my left hand and then wash my right arm from the elbow down to the fingertips twice.

(And here's where it gets tricky)

- pour water in my right hand and then, without touching my skin, pour that water over my left arm as many times as I want until I feel like my left arm is wet enough to start wiping from elbow down to the fingertips. Once I've touched the arm with my hand, I can't pour anymore water on it. (I do this only once).

- then I use the remaining water on my hands to wipe the top of my head once.

- then I wipe my feet up to the ankles once.

What are your thoughts on the way I perform the wudu? What's been making me nervous is the way I do with the left arm cause I haven't seen anyone else do it like that. Anyone here that does something similar or the same way I do it? And why does it seem like everyone's doing it differently from each other? What's the absolute correct way to perform the wudu in detail? How important is it to perform the wudu the exact way it was meant to be done? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'd be so happy if I could get some explanations to help sort things out.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Amini said:

- pour water in my right hand and then, without touching my skin, pour that water over my left arm as many times as I want until I feel like my left arm is wet enough to start wiping from elbow down to the fingertips. Once I've touched the arm with my hand, I can't pour anymore water on it. (I do this only once).

This is wrong. You can pour water on your arm as many times as you want, but you can only wash your arm either once or twice. The criterion in determining each pours of water is one’s intention, therefore if you pour five handfuls of water on your arm with the intention of being one wash, than it will count as only one wash. You're allowed to wipe your arm from elbow to fingertips in between each time you pour water on your arm.

18 minutes ago, Amini said:

- pour water in my right hand, pour that water into my left hand and then wash my right arm from the elbow down to the fingertips twice.

This method is optional and mustahab. There is another method which most people do, which is to pour water on your left hand and then wash your right arm [instead of pouring it on your right hand then left hand to wash your right arm].

Salaam Alaykum

I saw a 50 years old man doing wudu wrong in tbe biggest mosque in US. I saw a 55 years old man touching water for Masah. I don't know why these people do these simple mistakes.

Brother read your marji website. It's very simple. Be relaxed anf follow what he says.

7 hours ago, Amini said:

Hey guys!

So, I've been driving myself nuts over the correct way of performing wudu. I've seen tons of videos on YouTube on how to perform Shia wudu but it seems like everyone's doing it slightly differently from each other which is making me super confused and unsure over what's actually correct and not.

I've always done it the way my parents taught me which is like this:

- Wash face from hairline and down twice.

(And here's where it gets tricky)

- then I use the remaining water on my hands to wipe the top of my head once.

- then I wipe my feet up to the ankles once.

What are your thoughts on the way I perform the wudu? What's been making me nervous is the way I do with the left arm cause I haven't seen anyone else do it like that. Anyone here that does something similar or the same way I do it? And why does it seem like everyone's doing it differently from each other? What's the absolute correct way to perform the wudu in detail? How important is it to perform the wudu the exact way it was meant to be done? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'd be so happy if I could get some explanations to help sort things out.

Thanks!

Salam,

I also do the same way, but I didn't know you can't touch your skin while pouring that water on your left arm? 

Apparently you can also wash your face or arms only once

Edited by 3wliya_maryam

8 hours ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Salaam Alaykum

I saw a 50 years old man doing wudu wrong in tbe biggest mosque in US. I saw a 55 years old man touching water for Masah. I don't know why these people do these simple mistakes.

Brother read your marji website. It's very simple. Be relaxed anf follow what he says.

“Chapter 30 AN OLD MAN AND THE CHILDREN

An old man was busy in performing wudu' (ablution). But he did not know the correct method of performing wudu'. Al-Imam Al-Hasan (AS) and Al-Imam Al- Husayn (AS), who were young children at that time, saw the man performing his wudu'. Since teaching the commandments and Islamic guidance are wajib (obligatory), there was no need of any hesitation for them to correct him. It was necessary to teach the right process of performing wudu' to the old man. However, if it was directly indicated to him that his wudu' was incorrect, not only he would have felt hurt, but also he would have had an unpleasant memory about the wudu'. Moreover, it was not known that he would not have taken it as an insult and that suddenly he would have not got stubborn and would have never accepted it willingly.
These two children thought to point out his mistake in an indirect way. At first they started arguing with each other and the old man was listening to them. One of them said: "My process of wudu' is more perfect as compared to yours." The other one said[…]”

“The other one said: "No! my wudu' is more perfect as compared to yours." Then, they reached an agreement that both would perform wudu' before the old man, who would judge. They did so, as per the agreement and both of them had the correct and perfect wudu' before the old man. Now, the old man realized what was the correct process of wudu'. He guessed the real objective of the two children. He was deeply impressed with the sincerity and intelligence of the children. He said:
"Your wudu' is correct and perfect. Uptil now, I, an ignorant old man, did not know the right way of performing wudu'. It is because of the love and affection you have for theUmmah of your grandfather [Prophet Muhammad (SA)], that you have cautioned me. Thank you so much.”

Excerpt From
Anecdotes of Pious Men
Ayatullah Murtada Mutahhari
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/anecdotes-of-pious-men/id941950322?mt=11

Edited by Ashvazdanghe