shadow_of_light

most challenging questions in your mind?

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Correct. lf we have a hole in a paper and cannot measure across it, we can do surveys around it to determine information about it.

Can we even speculate. lf there is something outside our Universe does our vocabulary even apply?

What then of dimensionless numbers like pi, natural log, Somerfield ratio[1/137], and so forth?

What about them?! What do you mean?

17 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

What about them?! What do you mean?

l think you referred to my last line. l was noting "dimensionless quantities". There are many and in many subjects and areas of study.

9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l think you referred to my last line. l was noting "dimensionless quantities". There are many and in many subjects and areas of study.

Yes, I referred to your last line. I dont understand your question.

Another question:

How does a 2-dimensional world look like? It can not be like a page because a page has some thickness...what about a 1-dimensional world?

Big bang theory says that the universe originated from a point of zero volume and infinite density.

Zero volume means no dimension.

Infinite density means that something existed.

What does this imply?!

If we trace back the big bang (if we see the explosion itself in very slow motion), will the process end in some point? If yes, then the original point cannot be of zero volume.

And if no, it means that the universe (the particles which gradually constituted the universe) always existed and just developed as time passed.

Another question:

How does a 2-dimensional world look like? It can not be like a page because a page has some thickness...what about a 1-dimensional world?

Big bang theory says that the universe originated from a point of zero volume and infinite density.

Zero volume means no dimension.

Infinite density means that something existed.

What does this imply?!

If we trace back the big bang (if we see the explosion itself in very slow motion), will the process end in some point? If yes, then the original point cannot be of zero volume.

And if no, it means that the universe (the particles which gradually constituted the universe) always existed and just developed as time passed.

5 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Yes, I referred to your last line. I dont understand your question.

Salam Uhty,

That wasn't a question, but a statement.

Originally, you wrote there is no way to know anything about a void. l responded by saying we can probably get some idea about that void by doing 'surveys' around it. lf dimensionless numbers are included in our estimates this is acceptable because we know how our dimensionless quantities are derived. So what l was attempting was to illustrate that we can know something about an unknown space.

This help?

2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Salam Uhty,

That wasn't a question, but a statement.

Originally, you wrote there is no way to know anything about a void. l responded by saying we can probably get some idea about that void by doing 'surveys' around it. lf dimensionless numbers are included in our estimates this is acceptable because we know how our dimensionless quantities are derived. So what l was attempting was to illustrate that we can know something about an unknown space.

This help?

Salam

Thanks for explanation.

18 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

What did he mean?!

He means I am dumb, unable to grasp his lectures or whatever he teaches me. I guess these are his only words which I genuinely understood :D

Just Kidding, He was a very nice teacher & he usually uses those words when any of his student behaves like dumb. 

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

@shadow_of_light l finally thought of one while watching my nephew:

Going around in a circle, how tight does a turn have to be for it to become a pivot?

Kinda lexicographic l know.

I dont know why I cannot understand your question!! I understood the question but now what you meant!

Something which challenges my mind too much is how did people, in the past centuries, live?

For example, in the winter, when it was so cold, how did they keep their homes warm? Maybe only 1 or 2 rooms in every house,had fireplaces. So what about the rest of the house?

And how did they wash the clothes in cold days while there were no water pipelines and no warm water?!

I dont know why I cannot understand your question!! I understood the question but now what you meant!

For example, a ballerina or gymnast "pivot"s on their toes, so  how small a circle   does going around in a circle  have to be   to be a pivot?

Something which challenges my mind too much is how did people, in the past centuries, live?

For example, in the winter, when it was so cold, how did they keep their homes warm? Maybe only 1 or 2 rooms in every house,had fireplaces. So what about the rest of the house?

And how did they wash the clothes in cold days while there were no water pipelines and no warm water?!

Here is something l learned in college.

lf you have 5 oranges and give 3 to one person and 2 to another person, how many oranges do you have left?

Asking an ancient Roman that question he would think you were crazy BECAUSE they had no concept of zero.