Mansur Bakhtiari

Did Gaddafi kill Sayed Musa as-Sadr?

Rate this topic

Bismillah and Salam Alaykum

A knowledgeable brother on discord told me he hated Muammar Gaddafi because he'd killed Sayed Musa as-Sadr. Is this true? I thought it would be unlikely because Gaddafi (with all his flaws of course) funded Iran during the 80's, so what kind of grudge would he have against the Sayed or against Shias in general?

2 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

so what kind of grudge would he have against the Sayed or against Shias in general?

It isn't so much a grudge as it is "I am Gaddafi, and I can't have Shias in Libya because my authority will be undermined if they are left unchecked."

That's how I understand it, in regards to what happened^

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

36 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

It isn't so much a grudge as it is "I am Gaddafi, and I can't have Shias in Libya because my authority will be undermined if they are left unchecked."

That's how I understand it, in regards to what happened^

Hmm true, that's how tyrants think.

I'm wondering why the Sayed went to Libya though, maybe for dawah?

4 minutes ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Hmm true, that's how tyrants think.

I'm wondering why the Sayed went to Libya though, maybe for dawah?

Read this:

On 25 August 1978, Sadr and two companions, Sheikh Muhammad Yaacoub and journalist Abbas Badreddine, departed for Libya to meet with government officials at the invitation of Muammar Gaddafi. The three were last seen on 31 August. They were never heard from again.

I found it here:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_al-Sadr

Wow, thank you brothers. I think this piece of the Wiki article explains the motive.

In an interview, political analyst Roula Talj said that Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, told her that Imam Musa Sadr and his aides, Mohammed Yaqoub and Abbas Badreddin, never left Libya.[43] According to a representative of Libya's National Transitional Council in Cairo, Gaddafi murdered Sadr after discussions about Shia beliefs. Sadr accused him of being unaware of Islamic teachings and of the Islamic branches of Shia and Sunni, following which Gaddafi became enraged and ordered the murder of Sadr and his delegation.[44] 

The motive seems to have been that Gaddafi was insulted by Sayed Sadr telling him the truth, so he ordered him killed. Inna Lillah wa Inna Ilayhi Raji'oon.

3 hours ago, kirtc said:

here is what I was told

Lebanon was in a brutal civil war.. guess who was selling weapons to both sides? gaddafi.. so sayyed mousa sadr went to Lybia to ask gaddafi to stop sending weapons to Lebanon... and he killed him.

That must be why Wiki says that Lebanon asked the rebels in Libya to investigate the matter. Considering the state of Libya right now however that's very unlikely.....

3 hours ago, KulluNafsin said:

Killing such a great Syed ....Gaddafi died in a very humiliating way..videos are still out there.

Yes I saw the videos, that's what happens to the tyrants. Fir'aun, Nimrood, Umar, Yazid all died humiliating deaths, and Gaddafi's was just as bad. May Allah curse the oppressors!