silasun

al-Muraqabah - Sheikh Shomali

Rate this topic

Translation by  @The Persian Shah (http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234979768-allameh-tabatabai-qs-q-a/)

Question of a 22 year old youth to Allameh Tabataba`i [QS]
To his eminence Grand Ayatullah Allamah Tabatabai, Salam alaykum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuhu.
I am a youth 22 years of age and you are probably the only person who could answer my question which I am about to ask.
I live in an environment where my carnal desires and false hopes have dominated and imprisoned me; this has affected my path towards
Allah
سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and slowed me down getting close to Him.
My request from you is to tell me what act I should perform in order to overcome my carnal self, to break this omnious spell and to become governed by felicity? Please, I do not want any advice, rather I need practical instructions for victory.
The answer which Hadhrat Ayatullah [QS] wrote behind that same letter:
In the Name of God, The Beneficent, The Merciful,
Salam Alaykum,
In order to be successful and achieve the goal you have written on the reverse of this paper it is necessary, summoning up will-power and manifesting repentance, for you to turn to self-vigilance (muraqiba) and self-introspection (muhasiba). In the following manner: Every day in the morning when you wake up from sleep, make a firm and serious intention that you will consider in any action that you will perform the pleasure of God – exalted be His Name. Then in that case, what ever action you want to perform you will consider it’s otherwordly benefits, such that if there is no otherworldy benefit, you will not perform it – regardless of whatever it may be. And you will continue this state till the night, the time for sleeping. At the time of sleeping, you will spend 4 or 5 minutes thinking about the actions you have performed during the day, considering each one by one – whichever you found was accomplished in conformity with the pleasure of God, express gratitude, and whichever was a transgression, seek forgiveness
- and continue this procedure every day.
This method despite being difficult in a whimsical state [at the beginning], and bitter to the taste of the carnal self – but it is the key to salvation and liberation.
And every night, before you sleep if you can, read the ‘musabbahat’
chapters [the chapters which start with praising God] that is: The chapters Hadid, Hashr, Saff, Jum`a and Taqabun, and if you couldn’t, recite only the chapter of Hashr and after 20 days of being occupied in this manner, write the states of yourself in a letter for me.
Insha` Allah you will be successful.
Mohammad Hussain Tabataba’i

That is great lecture .

Rarely heared any scholar talking about such an important topic. I had come across a lecture where it was emphasised that mrraqaba is central practice to achieve the proximity of Allah. It is not only obligatory worship rather when it is associated with mrraqaba one achieves nearness of Allah. 

But again how really mrraqaba is done we do not know. Even none of scholar talks about it.