Ivaylo

When should I take the Shahadah?

Rate this topic

I have been thinking for some months now about saying the Shahadah and making official what I know in my heart (even if I only say the Shahadah on my own since I don't have any Shia friends where I live). 

What bothers me though is the question if I'm ready or if I should wait? I do believe there's only one God, I've studied many religions and I always come back to the Quran hence I would say I believe Muhammad to be the Messenger of this one God....the thing is I'm obviously not going to become in a blink of an eye a perfect Muslim. I know that even in the time of Muhammad it took like what 20-25 years for the Message of Islam to be completed and the Companions of Muhammad had time to adjust and learn....but I'm worried that if I take the Shahadah an prepared, my previous sins will be forgiven by God but I will just keep making mistakes (sinning) because there's so much I don't know yet.... 

So I'm wondering....is it enough to believe that there's only one God and Muhammad is his Messenger. Should I take the Shahadah and learn as I go? Or is it better to wait (a month or a year or however long it takes) and first learn and implement the necessary changes in my life and only then take the Shahadah? 

Salam bro,

You may already be Muslim and not know it. Saying the shahadah is only the first step. Theres alloooooot more to being muslim than that. And it starts with the shahada, so I suggest you get that over with to start your journey bro.  Islam is a complete way of life, a guide book, a philosophy.... so get it over with and start learning about these things https://www.al-islam.org/what-a-muslim-should-know-and-believe-akhtar-rizvi/usul-al-deen 

these are the first 5 things 

1. Tawhid (Monotheism: belief in the Oneness of God)
  2. Adl (Divine Justice: belief in the Almighty's justice)
  3. Nubuwwah (Prophethood)
  4. Imamah (Succession to the Muhammad)
  5. Mi'ad (The Day of Judgment and the Resurrection)

then start learning about the biography of the Prophet saaw. And read hadith(sayings) for him.. be careful to read them from shia books and not sunni books, because they have made up hadith. pick a marjaa to follow. pray that God guides you to the right marjaa, the marjaa is your spiritual leader. Mine is Sayyed Ali Khamanei. There is alot to find out... May Allah guide you.

Salam Alaikum,

Alhamdulillah you are being guided to the truth, let me share my opinion.

I think you should take the shahada and become Muslim now, and learn more as you go along the way.

This is because we don't control death, but God does. He controls your life and the time of your death.

If you maybe decide to take it next year, or in 6 months or so, who says you'll be alive at that time? Maybe a few months will pass, and you say, "I'll take the shahada tomorrow", and that same day you (God forbid) pass away.

In such situation, you'll die a non-Muslim and God wouldn't be pleased.

Become Muslim now brother, or as soon as possible, so this horrible situation won't occur.

Salam

48 minutes ago, Ivaylo said:

..but I'm worried that if I take the Shahadah an prepared, my previous sins will be forgiven by God but I will just keep making mistakes (sinning) because there's so much I don't know yet.... 

Allah swt will forgive you every time, He is the greatest most forgiving.only sin Allah never forgives is holding partners with him.

Salaam Alaykum Brother

Do Shahadah today. If you don't know Islamic rules yet, that is fine. Learn them while you are Muslim. It's Satan trap to postpone your Shahadah. Go to your nearby shia mosque and tell Shaykh that you want to recite Shahadah. Ask him for help. If there's no Shia mosque in the city that you live in, go to nearest city and do it.

Don't postpone Shahadah. If you sin and don't know Islamic rules, that is fine. It's logical and Allah understands that you are new to Islam, so you may do things that are sin. Ayatollah Sistani said:" If a person does something that didn't know it is sin, he doesn't need to worry about that(it has some other conditions, but it applies on your case)". 

Satan wants you to postpone Shahadah. Don't do it.

@Ivaylo I think we can all say that we're prone to making mistakes but we learn along the way whether you're Muslim or not but as you mentioned that you believe in the Oneness of The Lord, you've read the Quran and studied other religions you'll know in your heart when you're ready. Also, I'm glad you did research on different religions as well because it'll give you a foundation of what's the base ethics of most religions if not all. I hope you find people who you can talk to or listen to via YouTube or other social media platforms, it'll make the transition easier as well as gaining information from other converts or reverts as to what's helped them. 

Hey guys I decided to follow your advice and take the Shahadda. So I guess it's official now, I'm a Muslim not only in my heart but in my confession of faith as well! 

I guess the difficult but exciting journey begins....I have so much to learn....but following the example of the Prophet and his family, I know I'll get there eventually! 

4 hours ago, Ivaylo said:

Hey guys I decided to follow your advice and take the Shahadda. So I guess it's official now, I'm a Muslim not only in my heart but in my confession of faith as well! 

I guess the difficult but exciting journey begins....I have so much to learn....but following the example of the Prophet and his family, I know I'll get there eventually! 

Salam!

Welcome to Islam, brother!

May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى bless you like he blessed Prophet Mohammed and his Household.

May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى grant you Jannah, and may Allah ease your trail!

Peace!