Sumerian

Unsourced replies

Rate this topic

Al-Salamu Alaykum

Among the issues on this forum is that people answer Fiqh questions based on what they think is correct, what they are unsure is correct, what they theorise, or what they want to be correct.

Some people sometimes mix up an issue of Islamic Law with others matters, most notoriously, cleanliness and purity. Example, if you had animal faeces all over your hand, and you wash it with water as per the conditions mentioned in the risala, your hand is pure. What some people would reply is; "wash your hand with water and soap/sanitizer". That is not correct.

Yes, you should use hand sanitizer after you purified your hand for the sake of cleanliness and personal hygiene, but you don't have to as per Islamic Law (so if you pray without washing your hand with hand sanitzer, your prayer is in order).

So what I recommend is that one does not trust unsourced replies at all.

2 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Al-Salamu Alaykum

Among the issues on this forum is that people answer Fiqh questions based on what they think is correct, what they are unsure is correct, what they theorise, or what they want to be correct.

Some people sometimes mix up an issue of Islamic Law with others matters, most notoriously, cleanliness and purity. Example, if you had animal faeces all over your hand, and you wash it with water as per the conditions mentioned in the risala, your hand is pure. What some people would reply is; "wash your hand with water and soap/sanitizer". That is not correct.

Yes, you should use hand sanitizer after you purified your hand for the sake of cleanliness and personal hygiene, but you don't have to as per Islamic Law (so if you pray without washing your hand with hand sanitzer, your prayer is in order).

So what I recommend is that one does not trust unsourced replies at all.

لا والله 

صحيح ما تقول 

I have to agree. Anyone passing their own opinions and are not sourcing these issues can mislead and misguide others. It is one thing sinning and harming your own self, and another leading others astray.  As i have said before, if i see Sumerian taking one stance on Fiqh, and i see the whole of Shiachat taking another, i often more than not, incline to follow the way of Sayyid. There are few users here well versed in Fiqh as this young man.

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

19 minutes ago, Reza said:

This is a casual discussion forum, not an academic seminar yielded by experts. Everyone understands already to research and check sources for themselves, outside the site if needed, for any statements made here. 

How strange. Why is it then that sometimes we see notices on certain threads and posts saying; "this is not a Shi'i view"?

What a strange comment that makes no sense at all.

31 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

How strange. Why is it then that sometimes we see notices on certain threads and posts saying; "this is not a Shi'i view"?

What a strange comment that makes no sense at all.

It's a voluntary, occasional courtesy done by staff to be helpful.

6 hours ago, Reza said:

It's a voluntary, occasional courtesy done by staff to be helpful.

What I'm suggesting is that it becomes a rule. Now, you may disagree with that, but I don't want to discuss it here.

Anyway, my O.P was a warning to the general users to not accept anything if it's not sourced, even if it is from a speaker, this was not supposed to be a message to the admins & mods (even though I would want it to be a rule).

19 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

What I'm suggesting is that it becomes a rule. Now, you may disagree with that, but I don't want to discuss it here.

Anyway, my O.P was a warning to the general users to not accept anything if it's not sourced, even if it is from a speaker, this was not supposed to be a message to the admins & mods (even though I would want it to be a rule).

It’s unrealistic for people to cite an exact source for everything they say, and if that becomes your baseline expectation, you will become very disappointed — not just here but in life. 

11 hours ago, Reza said:

This is a casual discussion forum, not an academic seminar yielded by experts. Everyone understands already to research and check sources for themselves, outside the site if needed, for any statements made here. 

I think for the convenience of the people who want an answer - we should provide references only for fiqhi issues

In fiqh, no one wants opinions from users who aren't knowledgeable and well versed. The thread gets very confusing with all conflicting answers if users give their own incorrect opinions without any reference. This is entirely due to the nature of fiqh - as we just want an answer to apply in our life without necessarily studying the philosophy behind it.

If you're talking about theology, social issues etc. then I believe users shouldn't be burdened to provide references for every answer they give. In issues related to theology etc. we actually learn better from our mistakes and different opinions.

@Sumerian I always appreciate your knowledge of fiqh and your referenced replies, however, sometimes users want a quick response. In some cases a reply from memory is better than no reply. 

However, I agree that people shouldn't give their opinions when the question is strictly about fiqh. If the question is about possible reasons behind a ruling, opinion or speculation could be appropriate. 

6 hours ago, Reza said:

It’s unrealistic for people to cite an exact source for everything they say, and if that becomes your baseline expectation, you will become very disappointed — not just here but in life. 

This is about Fiqh my friend, not about life. I don't demand sources for everything, I'm not a robot who tells people in real life "source please?" - this is just about Fiqh.

Edited by Sumerian

As they say about brexit, no deal is better than a bad deal. I say, if you don't know an answer, best not to answer it. Especially in Fiqh issues, where giving someone wrong information could make you liable for the errors they make. Play it safe. If someone truly wants an answer, they'll look up their Marji' website or email in. 

While this is an online chat forum, serious matters of religious doctrine and jurisprudence are discussed, read, and then re-read by people searching on google and i say no matter the medium standards should be very high.

I've got to agree with @Sumerian. He knows what he's taking about, because what he is saying reflects what our grand scholars have said about the seriousness of this.

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

Imam Ali (as) said: "Do not talk about things which you do not know. Do not speculate about and pass verdicts on subjects about which you are not in a position to form an opinion and are not called upon to do so. Give up the way where there is a possibility of your going astray."

9 hours ago, notme said:

@Sumerian I always appreciate your knowledge of fiqh and your referenced replies, however, sometimes users want a quick response. In some cases a reply from memory is better than no reply. 

However, I agree that people shouldn't give their opinions when the question is strictly about fiqh. If the question is about possible reasons behind a ruling, opinion or speculation could be appropriate. 

A quick response which is potentially wrong is worse than a long response with the correct opinion.

Furthermore, it is a sin to attribute a lie to Allah, and giving a fatwa that is wrong is exactly that.